Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
Just finished up Caramoan. The outcome made me pretty happy and I have to agree that Brenda is an absolute turd.

Are the reunions generally worth watching? I've skipped every single one of them since I'd prefer to start a new season, but now that I've only got one left, I'm considering going back and watching the old reunions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

DaisyDanger posted:

Are the reunions generally worth watching? I've skipped every single one of them since I'd prefer to start a new season, but now that I've only got one left, I'm considering going back and watching the old reunions.

Some of them have the odd ok moment, but you're not missing much by having skipped them. The one hosted by Rosie O'Donnell instead of Probst was particularly cringeworthy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'd say they're about 50/50. Basically you can decide if the reunion is worth watching based on the show. Where there large characters who you'd like to see get asked some direct questions? Was there a standout villain you'd like to see get called out on some of their stuff? Was there some dramatic clash or betrayal you'd like to see get addressed? Its a post game/cleanup so if you're interested in getting some closure on some of the lingering elements of the season then sometimes it addresses them. But if you're bored with the season and ready to move on there's probably not going to be anything you can't afford to miss.

Sometimes it reveals some game stuff too. I watched the One World one and during it Brenda revealed that she had actually tried to turn the tribe on Sash right before she found out they were targeting her, so that got back to him and she pretty much knew he wasn't going to give her the idol after that. In the Redemption Island one some of the players claim Boston Rob had told them about his idol which is why they didn't target him even though the show plays it like no one knew or even thought of going after Rob. Small game details like that come up sometimes.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Ok, thanks. I'll probably skip them for now.

First episode of BvW and one of my big concerns is that a couple like husband/wife might be more willing to backstab their blood (except Rupert the Noble) because who cares who wins between the two as long as you get the million in the end? And 12 years later and Gervase still looks exactly the same. Dude aged really well.

Edit: Oh my god I couldn't have asked for a better response from Jeff when Colton quit. :allears:

DaisyDanger fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jun 19, 2014

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

I did it! I made it to day 39! Really, I calculated it all and it's somewhere around 17 days worth of Survivor that I've watched now that I'm all caught up. :sweatdrop:

BvW was way better than I anticipated and I'm glad it's the season to send me off. I was worried about a bitter jury because they're the worst, but fortunately it paid off just as it should've. I'm off to start The Amazing Race now, but I'm bummed that I will have to look at Boston Rob again at some point.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
The Heroes vs. Villains reunion show was pretty funny. It had Jeff, dead serious, asking if Russell understood the rules of Survivor.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Tyree posted:

The Heroes vs. Villains reunion show was pretty funny. It had Jeff, dead serious, asking if Russell understood the rules of Survivor.

And with Russell proudly and furiously insisting he did not, and that therefore the game is flawed.

Piell fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 21, 2014

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists

Piell posted:

And with Russell proudly and furiously insisting he did not, and that therefore the game is flawed.

"AMERICA SHOULD DECIDE WHO WINS" :v:

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

DaisyDanger posted:

I'm off to start The Amazing Race now, but I'm bummed that I will have to look at Boston Rob again at some point.

Don't be. Boston Rob is awesome on amazing race.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Unfortunate news. Caleb Bankston has passed away.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2668765/Survivor-Blood-vs-Water-star-Caleb-Bankston-dead-26-train-working-derailed.html

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Extraordinarily sad.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Such sad news.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Wow that's awful. I know this sounds like a stock response but he really seemed like a good guy.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

the article posted:

Colton Cumbie [L] wrote 'I wish it was me...' after his fiance died

No poo poo, so does everyone else in the loving world.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

EDIT: Eh thats probably too mean.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 26, 2014

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Ugh, such poo poo news. Survivor news isn't supposed to be sad :(

This may be kind of morbid but I guess it's just how my mind is wired. I find it odd that after almost 15 years of Survivor the only two deaths of former contestants have been relatively young when there's some people that were in their late 50s and 60s/70s playing back in the beginning.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
BB died last year too so it's not just young'uns.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Is Todd dead yet?

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
Really sad about it, I was looking forward to him returning at some point. He was one of my favorites.

Now who will Colton depend on to run his life?

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem
Probably his most loyal companion/African-American friend, the maid.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I was definitely looking forward to him as a returnee.

Anything to get out of a relationship with Colton

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

That really sucks. Not only did he seem like a good dude, he's a saint for putting up with Colton.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. When you really think about it all the time he spent with Colton was time he was keeping him away from the rest of the world. That man was a hero. RIP. I hope you're listening to the Backstreet Boys in heaven.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Poque posted:

BB died last year too so it's not just young'uns.

This is the first I'm hearing about this! Why aren't you guys keeping me more informed! :mad:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Bjay9 posted:

This is the first I'm hearing about this! Why aren't you guys keeping me more informed! :mad:

...and yet still alive is

The world is a strange mysterious place.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
So I'm watching One World for the first time. Don't know a whole lot about the season, except for who wins and Colton...

I watch the first 3 episodes, thinking ok, he's annoying but he's not THAT terrible. Just now I watched episode 4 and :gonk:
Good god what a piece of poo poo. I'm actually angry from watching a reality show and this is coming from someone who usually likes "villains". I like Kass of all people!

I'm all riled up now and it's time to go to bed :(

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I'm the same way. I enjoy a good villain, but Colton was just unpleasant to watch. He wasn't even a fun villain.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah. In a TV show where we all (well, most of us) enjoy watching the guys who lie about a dead grandma and losing their dog in Hurricane Katrina, Colton crosses the line from entertaining to reprehensible. It says a lot about him that his fiancé dies and yet the conversation goes to how lovely Colton is.

I know editing could have a lot to do with it but I'm not sure how much context could help "gently caress poor people" and "my only black friend is my family's maid."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't even think the classism and racism were the biggest things for me. It was the lovely way him and Alicia treated people when they were in power. I don't remember details, I just remember it being absolutely vile. I hate it when players start pushing around the outsiders of a power alliance but they took it to a level where they were literally just sitting around insulting people and laughing while they work. It was evil.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

They were horrible to Christina in particular, for sure. I think they were calling her stupid to her face or something to that effect. I was elated when Alicia got the boot first because her and Colton had sat around telling Christina that she was a goner.

I think the reason that villains like Russell and Jonny Fairplay are still enjoyable to watch is because their shady moves were actually strategic. Colton's nastiness had zero strategy behind it. The only other person who comes close to him is probably Brandon, but he's still miles away from being that bad.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Brandon is psychotic but his villainy never really seemed malicious. He's just loving nuts. Like literally, legitimately, needs help and CBS should be ashamed they put him in that position a second time crazy.

Colton is like the walking avatar of malice. He literally freaked out and quit over no one backstabbing each other or being a dick.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Imagine a version of One World where Sab got to keep the Hidden Immunity Idol she found on Day 2, instead of being forced to giving it up (and then giving it to Colton). Without that Idol, Colton never gains any power and is instead remembered as merely miserable, whiney, and useless instead of those things and also horribly racist and malicious. I'd also like to think Sab would have rebelled against Kim at the merge if she had an Idol of her own, which would have made the season ten times more interesting, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

STAC Goat posted:

Colton is like the walking avatar of malice. He literally freaked out and quit over no one backstabbing each other or being a dick.

Colton's Survivor strategy:
1. Hope someone gives you a Hidden Immunity Idol in the first episode for being such a disaster of a player.
2a. If the above happens, abuse the power and spread your misery to everyone around you.
2b. If not, quit before you can be the first voted out and say it's because everyone around you was "too nice"(???).

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 27, 2014

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I really just want a season of the most insufferable players to have been on the show and nobody else. Literally fill the 20 or so spots with assholes. I don't even know who I would fill it up with but I do know Colton and Randy would be up there for contestants.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

KKKLIP ART posted:

I really just want a season of the most insufferable players to have been on the show and nobody else. Literally fill the 20 or so spots with assholes. I don't even know who I would fill it up with but I do know Colton and Randy would be up there for contestants.

It has to happen. This jackass needs to be inflicted on another group of terrible people who can't escape him.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

BGrifter posted:

It has to happen. This jackass needs to be inflicted on another group of terrible people who can't escape him.
This kind of douche is fun to watch. It's complete cringe.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Juanito posted:

This kind of douche is fun to watch. It's complete cringe.

Yeah I can't get enough of Prime Time Alex Stein. (#99, always on the grind) This is a man so desperate for attention he was railing lines of strawberry Quik like it's cocaine on webcam to a RHAP audience of maybe 50 people just to get people to watch him.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
I just finished watching Jay's boot episode and I think I'm done with One World, since it's pretty clear how the rest of the season is going to go. What a lovely lovely cast they assembled, the men in particular.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

ColdBlooded posted:

I just finished watching Jay's boot episode and I think I'm done with One World, since it's pretty clear how the rest of the season is going to go. What a lovely lovely cast they assembled, the men in particular.

I wonder how many Survivor fans actually made it all the way through One World. I sure didn't.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Watched through Redemption Island. I can't believe Ashley and Natalie couldn't make decisions in their own interest.

In the final five, they didn't go with Andrea's plan to take out Rob...

Ashley - "Andrea tried to throw me and Natalie under the bus and say neither of us made big moves this game. But it's funny because she's not here anymore and I am so I get the last laugh when all is said and done."

WHAT WAS YOUR GAME PLAN?! OH MY GOD. You went with SPITE instead of realizing who your biggest threat in the game was! She must have been too full of herself with winning the last two immunity challenges and somehow expected that momentum to carry... but even so, she would have had a better shot against Andrea than Rob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
I know some of you loved this show as much as I did... Cracked did an interview/article with one of the kids from Kid Nation.

Looking for an image of the right kid also turned up a Reddit AMA from last year that has much more detailed stuff.

• Locked thread