Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010

skasion posted:

Yeah, right now praying to your own deity is instant CTD. Not sure if bug or snide commentary. I should try and find a physically manifest deity somewhere to see if they have dialogue at all...

Man, what crawled up this guy's rear end and died?

probably a dwarf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Oh gently caress new Dwarf Fortress....but I'm working 12 hour shifts and have to be up in less than six hours...but it's a new Dwarf Fortress...

gently caress it, being a responsible adult is boring anyway. Dwarf me, baby. :getin:

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

skasion posted:

Yeah, right now praying to your own deity is instant CTD. Not sure if bug or snide commentary. I should try and find a physically manifest deity somewhere to see if they have dialogue at all...

Man, what crawled up this guy's rear end and died?

I created a character, went up a couple rooms and it was a physically manifested deity, but I don't know if it was mine or just a random one. And yeah it looks like it would have dialog if it hadn't crashed.

...but I'm going to wait for tilesets.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
My fort mode FPS is hovering around 20 on a fresh 4x4 embark... I guess this is because of all the new active world stuff going on in the background?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's out!

quote:

Here is the world activation release! Lots of processes from world generation -- birth, invasions, succession, site foundation, and so on -- now operate in the world after play has begun. Getting all of that to work led to a meandering route through various pieces of the game, some of which are described below. Aside from any bugginess, a lot of it will still feel rough and unfinished as things bump around.

New stuff
World activation! There are a few things that aren't active, like megabeast invasions, but lots of world gen actions made it into the game. Birth, death (to the extent it wasn't handled before), marriages, site foundation as well as reclaims, basic succession and appointments/etc., invasions, as well as some more detail beyond world gen, like patrols, banditry and animal population handling. We still don't have army battles -- the invasions are all successful right now, unless they are locally interfered with by you.
The game advances two weeks before each play -- the calendar there still moves slowly when there's a lot of action, as there is in larger worlds, but there are quite a few things I can do soon to speed that up. Due to the speed of the calendar, new forts in particular also get just two weeks. This'll probably cause some shenanigans with the caravan (or you'll just have to wait a year in an autumn fort for your first one) until we sort it out.
Fortresses can be retired and unretired. Losing is still fun but if it doesn't happen when you want, you can put it off for a while. Retired forts can be conquered (much more easily than they would be if you still controlled them), so don't be surprised if you have to reclaim instead of being able to unretire sometimes. You can reclaim forts that didn't make it through world generation.
Site maps for dwarves, elves and goblins. These are very basic, but they are there, anyway.
Multi-tile trees and lots of new plants. Fruit and flowers. Leaves that fall in little clouds. I had to put off dwarf mode tree harvesting, but we should get to that before long.
Megabeasts/forgotten beasts can attack, destroy and then reside within world gen sites like dwarf fortresses.
Various movement changes. Climbing/jumping/sprinting in both modes, though invaders still require a line of site to use them. Adventure mode has a stealth rewrite, and some elements of that are present in dwarf mode (it is generally easier to spot thieves and ambushers, and I'll probably need to make them smarter about finding cover). Movement and combat are separate now. Startled people climb up the walls of their homes a little too often.
Tracking information in adventure mode. You can pull up a little window and see tracks (capital K), and you can also have it describe the freshest track that isn't yours to more easily stay on a trail (alt K). Tracks are also part of the regular look command.
Different levels of conflict -- your opponents in adventure mode will be listed with the current status (non-lethal, lethal, no quarter, etc.).
Combat moves take place over a period of time now, and you can do things like catching an opponent's attack -- you have to do that by targeting a grab at the offending part now (reactions used to have a menu, but that was before combat got more smeared out). You can get information about what attacks your opponent is doing in the attack menu -- the quality of the information depends on your situational awareness skill. You can add adjective modifiers to your attacks (quick/heavy/etc.) and you can perform more than one attack at a time for a significant penalty to its force. It might make sense with two adamantine swords or something, twirling them about.
Rumors of incidents can be spread, and the rumors need to be spread before you gain reputation (good or bad). Killing all of the witnesses to an event will effectively remove it from play if you don't let them get off the screen. People are a little psychic as it regards ongoing conflicts, so that they can make decisions non-stupidly. Your liaison can share rumors with your fort, but I still need to set up the screen for reviewing them after you've seen them the first time... not that you can do much with the information.
You can travel through tunnels.
You can get a guide to travel with you to a faraway place -- it still ended up being too cumbersome, so locals continue to be able to tell you the location of sites, but only within a certain distance of their home town.
In general, conversations have been redone. They no longer have their own screen, but run along with other actions, and there are many more options.
The mind has been rewritten quite a bit -- people now experience emotions according to different circumstances (lots of awkward monologues there), and they consider actions differently. The main outstanding issue is that I didn't get around to converting existing dwarf mode thoughts, so they sort of exist concurrently with the new emotions and that needs to be changed. I'll get to that before job priorities (which was one of the main shorter-term reasons for the rewrite). Some dwarves have life-long dreams and it is possible for them to recognize that they've accomplished the ones relating to skills and family. They cannot yet realize their dreams of taking over the world.
The paragraph at the beginning of adventure mode was marginally more useful, but that slipped a bit at the end as things were tweaked. I think it'll still describe certain invasions and abductions, but it needs to be redone.
Lots of new arena options -- not just the conflict state, but you can set the temperature etc. to all sorts of extremes.
Some experiments with procedural items, though the new demon-type sites are still quite un-fun now. The knowledge on the slab at the bottom can be used, but it is probably not worth the trouble.
The stuff I forgot

Bug fixes
I'm sure several old bugs were "fixed" as large portions of the code was rewritten/removed, but I haven't tried to track exactly which ones. Bug fixes will commence in earnest now, and everything will be handled over at the bug tracker.

Yes, I did happen to reload the page that very second, why do you ask?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The "wait two weeks thing" when you start a game is tanking my computer.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Okay, gonna take the plunge and try going without tilesets.

But only in adventure mode. gently caress managing professions without Therapist.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I think I made an animal rights activist.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Walking into a hill dwarf drinking mound and announcing the presence of an evil creature nearby and having half the room reply "It is terrifying!" at once is incredible. I think I flustered some hobbits.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

How polite :unsmith:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Okay what I always do? open up colors.txt and change BLUE to

[BLUE_R:64]
[BLUE_G:64]
[BLUE_B:128]

I prefer 32, 32, 192 myself but this is always one of the first changes I make to a new version.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

so thats how that cat got on the moon

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

super fart shooter posted:

My fort mode FPS is hovering around 20 on a fresh 4x4 embark... I guess this is because of all the new active world stuff going on in the background?

I have been playing since just after release and I am not even through mid spring yet. The funny thing is the game advances 2 weeks now before you even start playing.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
All my embark horses and sheep have run off into the hills and they have the blinking blue exclamation marks that melancholy dwarves have. It says they are "overcome by terror!" :confused:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Dwarf Fortress 2014: It is terrifying.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Oh my goodness

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

All my embark horses and sheep have run off into the hills and they have the blinking blue exclamation marks that melancholy dwarves have. It says they are "overcome by terror!" :confused:

Did you chop a tree down anywhere remotely nearby?

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

:haw:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I came upon an encampment of sleeping goblins. Easily, I went from each to each, taking their heads as trophies. I bashed in the throat of their leader and watched him suffocate. When one awoke he ran screaming and calling for help from his comrades, helpless to stop me as I killed the rest. Finally, as I slowly approached him he tried to climb a tree. I slashed him open from behind and pulled him down by yanking on his intestines.

Release owns.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Roflex posted:

Did you chop a tree down anywhere remotely nearby?

why yes! and it looks like they're getting over it and are starting to wander back :)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

KillHour posted:

Yes, I did happen to reload the page that very second, why do you ask?

Then why did it take you two hours to post about it, HMMMM? :raise:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

My embark site seems to have two empty gremlin leather tents sitting on it

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Fuligin posted:

I came upon an encampment of sleeping goblins. Easily, I went from each to each, taking their heads as trophies. I bashed in the throat of their leader and watched him suffocate. When one awoke he ran screaming and calling for help from his comrades, helpless to stop me as I killed the rest. Finally, as I slowly approached him he tried to climb a tree. I slashed him open from behind and pulled him down by yanking on his intestines.

Release owns.

Wait what? :stare:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Fuligin posted:

Release owns.

We used to talk about how real Dwarf Fortress was.

This is quite possibly Too loving Real.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Fuligin posted:

Release owns.

I'm downloading it now :getin:

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Triskelli posted:

We used to talk about how real Dwarf Fortress was.

This is quite possibly Too loving Real.

Too bad it's too long to be a thread title.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Too bad it's too long to be a thread title.

How about Dwarf fortress: Yanking goblins by their intestines for fun and profit?

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
I am wondering if a small world with few civs would be better then a large world with medium civs. This game is moving at a snails pace and the only thing I can think of is there is to much background poo poo going on outside the fortress

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Had an adventurer in a river, and JUST as I was thinking "You know what might be nice? A temperature gauge." The river froze and encased my stupid, stupid adventurer in ice.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
A passing parakeet woman just spontaneously burst apart by an unknown force (the combat logs only refer to an "impact") and all the dwarves, animals, and other parakeet people who witnessed the event are "overwhelmed by horror." It was enough to make my carpenter cancel the bed he was working on :mad:

So far it looks like creatures may be considerably more emotionally fragile than before. Also the thoughts and preferences pages have tons of new junk

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

My (fortress) map has cherry trees and in early summer the flowers are falling off the trees and coating the ground.

(It's all the white "puffs" around the map)

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Roflex posted:

My (fortress) map has cherry trees and in early summer the flowers are falling off the trees and coating the ground.

(It's all the white "puffs" around the map)

Genuinely serene environments in Dwarf Fortress? Where is all the lava? And skulls?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Troll fur yarn and cloth is now under the stockpile options. I wonder if it's possible to harvest it now?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Then why did it take you two hours to post about it, HMMMM? :raise:

Apparently, because chrome had the page cached when I first loaded it, and only updated when I refreshed. :suicide:

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
I am one with the Matrix, and it looks a lot better than I used to remember.

Also, holy poo poo the new trees. and nthing invading birdpeople randomly exploding and freaking my dwarves out.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I keep getting 'something has collapsed on the surface' messages, with the announcement coming a few z-level above my mining.

Also, new trees are great.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Also, under silk I see screaming mouths cloth, molten liquid cloth, shadow stuff cloth, coyote demon cloth, pterosaur demon silk, and "rabbit fiend silk cloth" :catstare:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Also, under silk I see screaming mouths cloth, molten liquid cloth, shadow stuff cloth, coyote demon cloth, pterosaur demon silk, and "rabbit fiend silk cloth" :catstare:

Time to colonize hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Everyone wants to climb trees for some reason.