Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Effectronica posted:

Also poo poo-talking Chinua Achebe.

End this man, end this hobby, burn all nerds down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

sebmojo posted:

Mongoose Traveller is a superb translation, and it isn't too bad - you are best served making up a whole party of characters together though so you can run their development year by year and work out connections. It's basically a minigame.

Yeah, and honestly it takes no longer that roll up a Traveller character than it does to comb through a 3.0 or beyond D&D/d20 book and put together a character. Also, if you really want, I'm pretty sure at least 2-3 character generation programs exist for every edition of traveller.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Only as a general expression, I had no idea it was an actual poem. Thanks for the link!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, and honestly it takes no longer that roll up a Traveller character than it does to comb through a 3.0 or beyond D&D/d20 book and put together a character. Also, if you really want, I'm pretty sure at least 2-3 character generation programs exist for every edition of traveller.

Half the fun of Traveller character creation is going back and forth between pages, though. Every mechanic you have to double-check adds a couple of seconds of tension that make all the difference, before you inevitably find out you've been fired from your character's third job, and now you're 60 and in debt and for all your efforts you get 100 credits and "a blade".

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 8, 2014

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
That's a lot of trouble to play a self-insert.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Syrg Sapphire posted:

End this man, end this hobby, burn all nerds down.

My response was identical to yours. How the gently caress are you going to poo poo talk the dude that wrote A Man Of The People, that book was great.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

If you read the thread he totally believes that the British Empire was a force for good and civilization. Not to the extent of a Niall Ferguson or a Dinesh D'Souza, but still. Also poo poo-talking Chinua Achebe.

Flat out denying the post-colonialist literature movement is just about the whitest pseudo-intellectual thing you could possibly do besides waxing wroth about RPGs doing it wrong, I just didn't expect Pundit to do both.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
While enjoying my firework filled holiday weekend I realized that somewhere my stance on this subject was misunderstood. Perhaps because I'm a lovely poster.

These are the things I feel you should do:
  • Call out awful people for being awful; racists, sexists, bigots of all kinds. This shouldn't even need to be said. gently caress those guys.
  • Enjoy the hobby, buy/play/make good games that are inclusive and encourage other people to do so. Positivity multiplies.
  • Introduce more good people to the hobby. Make the room bigger, so lovely voices don't carry.
  • Discourage people from buying/playing/making bad games, be they badly designed or full of lovely content.
  • Discourage people from buying/playing/supporting games that were created by lovely people. They do not deserve anyone's :10bux:.

These are the things I feel you should not do:
  • Discourage people from buying/playing a game strictly because lovely people were tangentially involved. These lovely people feed on negative attention. They want you to dislike "their" game, and they want to be able to take responsibility for you disliking it. Deny that to them.
  • Give up on the hobby because there are lovely people in it. We need good people, and I will miss you.

Pointing out after the fact that lovely people were involved in a game that has already been established as bad is completely optional.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Nobody's calling for boycotts, is the thing, and I'm not entirely sure where that's coming from-- I've seen that claim in a few places. There's people publically saying that they themselves are not buying it. There's people publically saying why they're not buying it. But no one is saying, no, you shouldn't buy this, these two consultants are bad.

I'd rather if people didn't-- for reasons I've gone into elsewhere and don't really care to repeat here-- but poo poo, if someone decides to buy it even knowing who those guys are? gently caress. At least they know.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree
Yeah, I've been pretty careful in the couple of places I've said it to stress that it's a personal position and don't judge people for buying Next and as far as I'm aware this is pretty much standard, that or "I'm still buying it, but drat that was a bad move hiring those morons"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The amount of hate being directed at people literally for just not buying a thing is pretty amazing.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I've heard some pretty passionate speeches about how this is hurting D&D and we should protect it. :allears:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's a frighteningly large group of people who care more about the fortunes of a brand name than real, living, live people

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
B-but calling out harassment is very unprofessional and hurts my elfgames :qq:

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Ettin posted:

B-but calling out harassment is very unprofessional and hurts my elfgames :qq:

Funny thing is that Zak is literally disproving this by using callouts as promotional material to sell his book. Or possibly that's the tragic thing, I can't decide.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I meant real elfgames. :unsmigghh:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Just so we're clear, real elfgames are the editions of D&D I like, other elfgames I play, and most games based on those games. Everything else is an elaborate illusion.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Cynical, Manipulative Witch Hunter posted:

Just so we're clear, real elfgames are the editions of D&D I like, other elfgames I play, and most games based on those games. Everything else is an elaborate illusion.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Ettin posted:

I meant real elfgames.
There is only one real elfgame.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Is it Talislanta?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

grassy gnoll posted:

Cynical, Manipulative Witch Hunter

I promised myself I wasn't going to drop this drama bomb but I know for a fact Kevin Siembeda has a magical broomstick and uses it to fly around town making airplane noises.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm pretty sure Ettin hasn't taken the feats required for that PrC.
i mean it requires at least three levels of Shitlord

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

potatocubed posted:

Is it Talislanta?

You are my new favorite

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

potatocubed posted:

Is it Talislanta?

Isn't that the one with the playable race that's a walking polyp with lots of arms?

e: no, wait, that's not it. What was that cult Aztec-inspired RPG?

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 8, 2014

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Winson_Paine posted:

You are my new favorite

:smith:

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Cyphoderus posted:

Isn't that the one with the playable race that's a walking polyp with lots of arms?

e: no, wait, that's not it. What was that cult Aztec-inspired RPG?

Tekumel?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Ah, that's the one, yes. I've only ever leafed through it once, but the one thing I remember is there being a playable race of radially-simetric beings with many arms, legs, and heads.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ettin posted:

And also Amber Diceless, because John Tarnowski has no self-consistency at all.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Uh I'm pretty sure this is my line.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Pundit is just really big on the GM being The Boss doling out the world and events to players, with the players having no control beyond the point of sword or spell, and Amber Diceless is essentially the ultimate game of the GM being The Boss.

It's not really inconsistent, at least within his subjective framework.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Pundit is just really big on the GM being The Boss doling out the world and events to players, with the players having no control beyond the point of sword or spell, and Amber Diceless is essentially the ultimate game of the GM being The Boss.

It's not really inconsistent, at least within his subjective framework.

I've never understood this mindset. I mean, yeah, I like GMing because it's fun to direct the flow of the story and all, but if you wanted that strict of control over things, why not just write prose?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Night10194 posted:

I've never understood this mindset. I mean, yeah, I like GMing because it's fun to direct the flow of the story and all, but if you wanted that strict of control over things, why not just write prose?

If they were just writing prose, nobody would read it. GMing implies a captive audience.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
There is an appeal of a facist sort to have complete control of some aspect of another human being's reality.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

There is an appeal of a fascist sort to have complete control of some aspect of another human being's reality.

Considering his political views and his rhetoric, this makes complete sense.~

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
I really don't want to read his blog, but does the guy actually have any players who enjoy that style? Or is he entirely a theory-GM?

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Night10194 posted:

I think there's legitimately a place for games with a very strong GM role. It's just that that place is alongside many other types of games, and not a requirement for a game to be a "real" RPG.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Sionak posted:

I really don't want to read his blog, but does the guy actually have any players who enjoy that style? Or is he entirely a theory-GM?

He lives in South America, I think? Maybe Paraguay? Apparently his usual group was basically introduced to roleplaying through him so they probably don't have much experience with swine games.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Ewen Cluney posted:

I think there's legitimately a place for games with a very strong GM role. It's just that that place is alongside many other types of games, and not a requirement for a game to be a "real" RPG.

Off the top of my head I can name Paranoia as a game where the GM has a very strong role, and that's like half the charm of the game: the GM is not only the referee and arbitrator of the game's rules, they're also a stand-in for the very real authoritarian AI that is in charge of things in-setting. Paranoia also has a very thin separation between the setting and the rules of the game, where you can be punished for treason in-game for questioning the GMs rulings.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mr. Maltose posted:

He lives in South America, I think? Maybe Paraguay?

Uruguay.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Sionak posted:

According to him, of course! He's the Alpha Male of his gaming group and everyone loves him. He lives in Uruguay and is fiercely protective of his identity, so there's no way to know. He rants and raves about immersion and what constitutes a real RPG, but he refuses to demonstrate how he runs games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
In all this talking about shitstains, we missed some important news: http://www.burningwheel.org/forum/showthread.php?14628-News-From-Lockhaven

Mouse Guard is getting a second edition soon. :getin:

• Locked thread