Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Soulcleaver posted:

Exception: Rocko's Modern Life, which really is as gross and perverted as Tropers think it is.

Its not that TV writers of shows aimed at kids don't occasionally sneak jokes for adults into their shows (hell, the page i posted has one or two legitimate examples), its that Tropers are desperately searching for anything to legitimise their obsession with children's TV shows through pretending they're secretly for adults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
All the super-forced and dumb :tvtropes:GOTTA JIZZ MY HORRIBLE FETISHES ONTO EVERYTHING:tvtropes:, and still they miss the first season's murder/suicide and the scene in the new season where some guards get locked into a cell by a villain who makes a joke about how they're going to starve to death. But hey those weren't about sex so why would they be relevant to a list of things you wouldn't expect to see in a cartoon for children mature and edgy anime deconstruction tropenamer inversion of ugh i have to stop this is making me sick

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

There is a particularily infuriating example on the video games GCPTR page. It's an entry for Neverwinter Nights 2 where a gigantic demon questions what gender you are. You get the option to motion to take your pants off and tell the demon to stand back. The demon shoots back that it doubts that it'll be able to see them due to its failing eyesight.

A pretty amusing joke but this is a game that was rated T (for Alcohol Reference, Blood, Mild Language, Sexual Themes, Violence) so why the gently caress is that on a page about getting things past censors? A joke like that wouldn't really be out of place on any tv show that was aimed at a similar audience.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Testekill posted:

There is a particularily infuriating example on the video games GCPTR page. It's an entry for Neverwinter Nights 2 where a gigantic demon questions what gender you are. You get the option to motion to take your pants off and tell the demon to stand back. The demon shoots back that it doubts that it'll be able to see them due to its failing eyesight.

A pretty amusing joke but this is a game that was rated T (for Alcohol Reference, Blood, Mild Language, Sexual Themes, Violence) so why the gently caress is that on a page about getting things past censors? A joke like that wouldn't really be out of place on any tv show that was aimed at a similar audience.

Because tropers will bend over backwards to put everything they kind of like into the pages of as many tropes as possible (but only if the trope makes it seem MATURE/EDGY/HARDCORE/BADASS - boy howdy do they love that word).

Whether or not it actually works as an example of any of those tropes doesn't matter. What matters is that it's a thing that exists, and things that exist have tropes, and the tropes must flow.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Testekill posted:

Probably the same reason Futurama and Family Guy have radar pages. Because mention of sex on 'child's media' = getting crap past radar, but video games and cartoons are not just for kids so stop telling me to stop watching Bakagaijin Wonderland, DAD.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's like a lot of them don't understand that the standards and practices board for any TV network isn't some high council that immediately attempts to stamp out anything bad, they're rarely more than just doing "our sponsors say they don't want you to do X thing so don't blatantly do X thing on your show or else we'll lose ad revenue and cancel you".

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Tropers think the Hayes code still exists, and applies to all forms of media.

Radar: The Lion King Adventures posted:

The scene in Switching Places where Simba and Nala discover that they're in each other's bodies.
Nala: Wait! That's not my voice! That's not my fur! Those aren't my paws! And that definitely isn't mine!

In Hypnotic Glint while Mufasa is tied up in the jungle:
Mufasa (thinking): This reminds me of the time Sarabi and I... well, let's just say it resulted in Simba's birth.

This paragon of subtlety that somehow managed to fly under the radar? It's a fanfic. There is no "radar" of evil censoring Moral Guardians for it to fool.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Actually let's look at the Lion King Adventures because it has like 20 subpages so tropers really seem to like it.

The Lion King Adventures posted:

The Lion King Adventures is a series of stories by author Anthony Barletta (ThatPersonYouMightKnow), set in an alternate universe, chronicling Simba and Nala's childhood. The two cubs encounter friendship, romance, evil wizards, crazy psychopaths and just plain creepy creatures who are trying to constantly kill them.

The two were soon joined by a flirtatious cub named Haiba, who is the Prince of the Grand Lands. He's absolutely desperate for someone to date. In fact, so much that he has dated a stick and a river. Independently, of course.
~Lol Wacky~, or the author's creepy fetish? You decide.

YMMV posted:

Are You Sure This Is For Kids: The series started off as very family friendly. However, the violence, horror and emotional darkness of the later stories made it more suited for older reading audiences.

Designated Hero: Simba is a pure soul for the majority of the series. However, he takes an evil turn in Series Five, killing without mercy to show strength.

Moral Event Horizon: Simba crosses this in Series Five after murdering Nyoka in cold blood. He turns to the dark side, killing anyone he sees fit.

Nausea Fuel: Tara's exploding guts landing on Simba, Nala, and Haiba at the end of My Immortal.

Ron the Death Eater: Timon and Pumbaa, two kind characters in The Lion King, are turned into soul sucking monsters in TLKA.

What Do You Mean, It's Not for Kids?: The series is rather dark and violent, especially as it goes on, and even features Scar, the simultaneously loved and despised villain of the original film, raping a teen lioness and contemplating doing the same to Nala, a cub.
Wow, so edgy and mature

YMMV posted:

Paranoia Fuel: The Writer is the creator of the universe, and everyone in it is just a character. This might make you paranoid that you're just a character in a story…
Actually no, it doesn't, because I have not suffered severe brain damage.

Reviews posted:

The Lion King Adventures fanfic review by Anonymous 13 B 24th Mar 14

The Ruler of Animated Films is Now the King of All Fanfics

Beauty is a rare thing in this world, and it must be appreciated in any form in which it appears. When I first stumbled upon The Lion King Adventures way back in its earliest days, I knew it was something special, but I could never have predicted how much it would change my life.

From the moment I began reading, I was hooked. The adventures of Simba and Nala pulled me in just as much as in the film, and it was simply a delight to read their struggles against Hago and Scar, the ruthless scoundrels hell-bent on killing them. As the series progressed, more characters appeared, such as Tama, Tojo, Shocker, Interceptor, and most famously, Haiba. In all my life, I could never have guessed that a character as entertaining and compelling as Haiba could exist, but he did, and still does.

Every little twist and turn had me gripped from start to finish. Every hilarious line had me laughing, every sweet moment or awesome scene had me smiling, and in one of the few cases this has ever happened, the sad scenes truly had me feeling for the characters. Following Simba and Nala on their journey truly helped me gain a new perspective on life, and their story remains as inspiring as it was in its original form in 1994.

Seeing the series end was a truly sad thing, but I could not have asked for a better end to it. And yet the end proved to be a new beginning, as it has left a strong legacy, and it is guaranteed to become as timeless as its predecessor.

This series reaffirms everything the original film teaches us, with a little flirtatious lion cub and what may be the best rogue's gallery in the history of fiction only adding to it.

The world is a better place for the existence of this series, as well as the original film. It has become quite clear that one can no longer exist without the other. They are as intertwined as Simba and Nala themselves.

I can find no other words to describe the beauty of all this, but you don't have to take my word. In fact, I would prefer that. Just go read the series, from start to finish. You will see what I mean. And when you are finished, perhaps you will feel that you have done something worthwhile, succeeded in fulfilling a true accomplishment, and then, maybe you too will find your place in the circle of life.

:catstare:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Actually let's look at the Lion King Adventures because it has like 20 subpages so maybe 3 tropers are absolutely obsessed with it.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

quote:

Mufasa (thinking): This reminds me of the time Sarabi and I... well, let's just say it resulted in Simba's birth.

Why is he being coy to himself in his own thoughts? Somehow this irritates me the most in this hosed up shitshow.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Wait, The Lion King Adventures is just fanfic? What the gently caress? You don't need to sneak in adult jokes or whatever because there's nobody who would conceivably even want to stop you from writing whatever dumb poo poo you wanted. This is the worst thing.

Like seriously the way tropers were writing about it I thought it was like a Saturday morning cartoon spinoff or something. Jesus.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Don't forget that any and all trope pages about that kind of garbage may just be written by the original author. I remember seeing a trope page about J.F. Bibeau's works that was obviously written by the man himself.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

quote:

What Do You Mean, It's Not for Kids?: The series is rather dark and violent, especially as it goes on, and even features Scar, the simultaneously loved and despised villain of the original film, raping a teen lioness and contemplating doing the same to Nala, a cub.
I never understood the whole thing where nerds try to mix GRIMDARK oil with family-friendly entertainment water. I mean, I was under the impression that part of the appeal of kids' shows for adults who enjoy them is engaging in something that lets them get away from the shittiness in the real world.

I understand that the kids' stuff is unchallenging and easy to digest, but there's plenty of "gritty, mature" media where the same applies.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Kajeesus posted:

Don't forget that any and all trope pages about that kind of garbage may just be written by the original author. I remember seeing a trope page about J.F. Bibeau's works that was obviously written by the man himself.

Goddanmit, I'd forgotten about Bibeau until you brought him up.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
Never forget about Bibeau. He is never not funny.

Writing his own page on a site that has 20+ pages about a singular lion king fanfic is a new low even for him though. Can't he find at least one obsessive troper to do it for him?

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

quote:

Anthony Barletta (who originally went by the pen name ThatPersonYouMightKnow) is an acclaimed author, primarily known for his masterpiece of literature, The Lion King Adventures, though he has recently published a novel, Flight.

He was 15 when he started the series, and turned 16 during its year-and-a-half run. The Lion King Adventures became a hit very quickly, as it spawned similar series by other authors, a massive forum—home to multiple works created by the author and the fans—music, voice recordings by VA Anonymous13 B, the detective thriller The Haiba Mystery, and its follow-up series Poison. This has earned him the reputation of being the most popular of fanfic writers for The Lion King, with many fans and thousands of views.

Review: Great for all the wrong reasons posted:

I used to come across a particular type of fanfic series, one that tried to basically translate animated movie franchises into bad Anime story telling conventions. In these types of stories, the protagonists are hopelessly derailed at best and for some reason hang out with OC's trying too hard to be One Piece protagonists. A common story telling device is an over the top Black and White Morality, understandable in a child oriented series but made exceedingly bizarre, with the villains being over the top rapists that you are meant to find cool instead of revolting, fulfilling simultaneously the teen writer's needs to express his/her "edgy" worldview. Hilariously stereotypical romances may occur, as do spontaneous rape to make the characters "sympathetic" and "sexy".

Lo and behold, after years and years, I have found a series that fullfills most of these critteria:

- Disregarding the character's original characterisation to match more closely a very botched, overly superficial ideal of bad anime? Check!

- Making up O Cs that aren't exactly Mary Sues, but nonetheless presented as wishful fullfillments? Check!

- Making up overthetop villain O Cs that try desesperately to be "edgy" and cool whilst actually being basically Stupid Evil? Check!

- Derailing not just antagonists and characters the author disliked into shells of their former selves? Check!

- Basically inserting everything your heart desires without concern for the setting? Check!

The Lion King Adventures (even the fricking name follows this genre's conventions!) is an almost perfect pastiche of these fanfics, as if the author had a Litmus Test and made sure all the answers were checked, with the same notion that respect for his favourite animated movie = make it into an Anime. But the really distinguishes it is that the author has opted for positively brilliant creative choices. Let's just say that some pairings and some characterisations are quite in line with the likes of HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Thus, instead of a boring, simply downright stupid "teen" fanfic, The Lion King Adventures will go down in history as a work that is amazing, the author's sheer genius silver what could had been cliché.

Anonymous13B posted:

Having thoroughly examined this review, I must say that it is nothing short of nonsensical. Let us take a clear, in-depth look at the many flaws contained within it:

First of all, the author does not enjoy anime at all, completely debunking your main point. Second, there is nothing that suggests "wish fulfillment" in regards to creating Haiba or any other characters you may have perceived in such a manner. He has no desire to be an omnisexual lion cub, and it eludes us as to why you would think that. Third, only Scar partook in the act of rape, and in no way was it presented positively.

This "teen writer" has never felt the need to express any sort of "edgy worldview." There are some talented people contained within these unfortunate bodies, and they are held back by being placed in the same category as genuinely poor writers in the same age group.

The villains are in no way "stupid." They are all quite menacing, and much more intelligent than you, if this review is any indication.

The author actually takes the already well-developed characters from the source material and fleshes them out even further, in a manner that Allers and Minkoff would undoubtedly be proud of.

Overall, there is no suggestion that you were of coherent mind while writing this, as a proper examination of the text would find much more merit than is indicated here.

Anonymous13B looks to be both the author of the written fellatio of a review Lottery of Babylon quoted as well as a guy who did some "voice work" for this stupid poo poo.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bucketmouse posted:

Never forget about Bibeau. He is never not funny.

Writing his own page on a site that has 20+ pages about a singular lion king fanfic is a new low even for him though. Can't he find at least one obsessive troper to do it for him?

I have no idea who this is and would like to know more. I looked him up and found a book with low ratings going for over two thousand dollars new, and a fanfiction.net account of what appears to be him having written fanfiction for the book he himself wrote.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Swan Oat posted:

Wait, The Lion King Adventures is just fanfic? What the gently caress? You don't need to sneak in adult jokes or whatever because there's nobody who would conceivably even want to stop you from writing whatever dumb poo poo you wanted. This is the worst thing.

Like seriously the way tropers were writing about it I thought it was like a Saturday morning cartoon spinoff or something. Jesus.

Everything is worthy of inclusion on TV Tropes. What's depressing is that the "no notability" poo poo was originally supposed to mean something like "don't worry about adding citations for a random episode of some show you remember from 1987 that featured a guy hiding in a phone booth or whatever". Of course this quickly spiraled into everyone adding their unwritten slashfic to every page on the site because tropers are horrible people.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

The actor is notable as the voice of Tojo, a lion cub who was created by Disney for tie-in products related to their smash hit The Lion King, but never appeared in anything beyond a comic called "The Orphaned Birds." Anonymous13 B has portrayed Tojo in several of his recordings.

W-what?

quote:

Deadpan Snarker: When confronted by a flamer in the earliest stages of his fanfiction series, he responded in this manner.

-Also, when a fan mistakenly assumed him to be from Texas, he responded, "I've never been to Texas. Do I sound like I'm from there?"
-Regarding the traits that he keeps shrouded, such as his name and location: "I plan to keep those hidden for a long time."
-Having never been a fan of sports, he once asked this question to friends: "I would love to hear the reasons to such strong emotional attachments to sports teams from insiders."
-When discussing David Ogden Stiers's work in Pocahontas, he remarked, "Well, only some of us can do that accent well, Greg. Mr. Ogden Stiers is not necessarily one of them.”
-On Taylor Swift: "I would express my opinion of her, but it would take a ton of little asterisks..."
Many of the characters he plays are also like this.

This is bad. Really, really bad.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Ninjasaurus posted:

He has no desire to be an omnisexual lion cub, and it eludes us as to why you would think that

Everyone should just stop writing or speaking. Because nothing will ever top this line.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

This is bad. Really, really bad.

Those sure are statements someone made, quite possibly in an even voice.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
This doesn't mean much coming from me, because I'm not a big Lion King fan, but this fic honestly kinda makes me regret that The Lion King ever happened?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

LaughMyselfTo posted:

This doesn't mean much coming from me, because I'm not a big Lion King fan, but this fic honestly kinda makes me regret that The Lion King ever happened?

If we regretted that things happened because of terrible fanfic, we'd eventually end up regretting the invention of the written word.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

LaughMyselfTo posted:

They would just find something else to latch onto and inject rape into. When you write an "omnisexual lion cub" into the Lion King, you're clearly changing the characters/setting in such a way that anything good or unique about the original is lost*. The Lion King or My Little Pony etc are just interchangeable fictional templates to these people.

*Obviously this can and has been done well, just not by Tropers.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

If we regretted that things happened because of terrible fanfic, we'd eventually end up regretting the invention of the written word.

After five TVTropes threads, I regret it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ague Proof posted:

They would just find something else to latch onto and inject rape into. When you write an "omnisexual lion cub" into the Lion King, you're clearly changing the characters/setting in such a way that anything good or unique about the original is lost*. The Lion King or My Little Pony etc are just interchangeable fictional templates to these people.

*Obviously this can and has been done well, just not by Tropers.

Removing anything good about an adapted work can be done well?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

quote:

Also, when a fan mistakenly assumed him to be from Texas, he responded, "I've never been to Texas. Do I sound like I'm from there?"

How is that snark? That's just rude.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
Do tropers even know what snark means?

I mean I get mr. bloated ego up there describing everything he says as "deadpan snark" because of the whole Internet idea that sarcasm is a superpower combined with the fact that he just can't stop verbally jerking off himself and anything he's ever worked on. But even besides that, it seems like whenever any tropers describe something as "snarky", they just mean either "kind of rude," or "a thing said by someone I like (aka myself)".

Hammurabi fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 8, 2014

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

WickedHate posted:

I have no idea who this is and would like to know more. I looked him up and found a book with low ratings going for over two thousand dollars new, and a fanfiction.net account of what appears to be him having written fanfiction for the book he himself wrote.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3458196

I had been hoping for a new thread on this guy, but I guess he's gone radio silent since the last one. Didn't realize his book was going for over two grand though - that's absolutely insane, especially given how ridiculously poorly written it is.

Jocoserious
Jun 9, 2014

LOOK OVER HERE!!
I got the trope patrol on the rape patrol
Goons that wanna make sure my casket's closed
Trope critics that say he's "Rape oh Noes"
I'm from the burbs stupid what type of facts are those
If you grew up with the blues bein weaboos
You'd celebrate the minute you was having views
I'm like gently caress critics you can read the site news
If you don't like my 'fics you can get off the web
Got beef with SA if they don't think I know
They don't like my page well I don't give a poo poo SO
Goon threads try and use my troper rear end
So advertisers can give me less cash for ads...fuckers
I don't know what you take me as
or understand the intelligence that a brony has
I'm from rags to riches troper I ain't dumb
I got 99 problems but a trope ain't one

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I ran into something that I had to share with this thread. I've been enjoying the Book Fight podcast where two guys who are college professors, authors, and small press publishers read a book and discuss it. They've got a lively conversation and it's entertaining stuff, especially when they get grumpy.

So on this week's episode after the discussion of the book (which was really sedate and dull compared to most of their conversations), they talk about what one of them has found out about fan fiction. He's gotten a list of tropes that they run through and that gets goofy. The conversation starts at about thirty-four minutes in. As you might guess, they wind up horrified. Sadly the list of tropes is not from TV Tropes, I think their heads would explode if they were put into direct contact with TV Tropes, but it's the same crowd.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Finisher1 posted:

I had been hoping for a new thread on this guy, but I guess he's gone radio silent since the last one. Didn't realize his book was going for over two grand though - that's absolutely insane, especially given how ridiculously poorly written it is.
It's not. Prices like that just mean it's unavailable, and some automated Chinese bots are trying to bid-snipe each other.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Which brings us back to what Plato would have thought.

But I wonder... is this why there's so much weird Lion King fanart out there? It's not quite enough to rival Sonic, but I've seen enough of it to wonder.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Keromaru5 posted:

Which brings us back to what Plato would have thought.

is this why there's so much weird Lion King fanart out there?

I don't think it's as much the terrible fanfiction as it is the fact that the Lion King, having a cast that is nothing but talking animals, naturally attracts furries, and furries just have a way of ruining things.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Hammurabi posted:

Because tropers will bend over backwards to put everything they kind of like into the pages of as many tropes as possible (but only if the trope makes it seem MATURE/EDGY/HARDCORE/BADASS - boy howdy do they love that word).

Speaking of the word badass, guess how many times it is used on the characters page for Hells Kitchen.

HINT: It's used more times then there has been competitors.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Testekill posted:

Speaking of the word badass, guess how many times it is used on the characters page for Hells Kitchen.

HINT: It's used more times then there has been competitors.

55 times. This is, keep in mind, counting ONLY the times I saw the "Badass" trope/hotlink itself used for a character, no permutations or ANY OTHER Tropes with "Badass" in the name, simply the original "Badass" trope, and not counting simple uses of the word in a non-hotlink form.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Chrome's find function posted:

badass
1 of 137
This is a reality show about cooking, right?

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
Gordon Ramsay is a badass, but if you need to post 137 links on a page to explain why he is, it's time to learn how to actually communicate.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

Alpacalips Now posted:

Gordon Ramsay is a badass, but if you need to post 137 links on a page to explain why he is, it's time to learn how to actually communicate.

It's more that apparently anyone who has shown any slight, remote sign of skill or talent or resiliance is a badass. Also, apparently "Oh my god" is a meme. Not just that, but it's a meme that originated on Hell's Kitchen. The more you know, am I right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

TvTropes Pleads the Fifth:Gotta Jizz My Horrible Fetishes Onto Everything

• Locked thread