Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

What was the Implicit Maze anyway? Something about guild gates or some other thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Lottery of Babylon posted:

For example, Teysa's meant to be the Orzhov champion running around the "maze" for them, right? But on her card she's clearly just lounging in a chair in a room somewhere.
Did you know she's nearly a cripple? She has a hosed up leg and walks with a cane.

RTR block flavor is the absolute worst :(

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Stinky Pit posted:

What is modern Affinity going to cut? Memnite? Cranial Plating? This card is cool but its not all upside and is not an auto-include in a deck like Affinity.

What? Why would sideboards current sideboards be relevant at all to a future meta-game? The cards exist, in abundance, any artifact/aura based deck is going to have to be every powerful to deal with the plethora of efficient effects like Naturalize and Disenchant that are printed in nearly every set. I'm not convinced this card is powerful enough that a deck with some ornithopters, needles, and revokers is suddenly going to be remotely dangerous.

Yeah I'm gonna try cutting 2x memnites for it. We'll see how it works out. :laffo: at suggesting cranial plating should be cut.

You say that sideboards are going to change with the metagame...but that the new artifacts they'll print won't be remotely dangerous enough to make an impact? Uh? I'm saying right now, and for the few weeks after prerelease people won't be running any artifact hate unless one of the decks top 8's immediately. That's enough time to sneak in, get some store credit, and switch back before people side in naturalize.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ramos posted:

What was the Implicit Maze anyway? Something about guild gates or some other thing?

Apparently it's a maze that connects all ten guildgates. But, like, it's not exactly a physical maze like the Cretian labyrinth, it's melded in with the city and looks like normal streets unless you know what clues to look for or something, and you become king of the world if you can reach every guildgate.

Basically,

Mortimer posted:

the maze was dumb as poo poo

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Just split 1st at a 24-man Monday Night Standard playing Mono-U. The deck is pretty fun to pilot, and definitely requires a lot of skill in certain match-ups. I got lucky and didn't face any Control decks all night and my final opponent that I split with was Boss Sligh. We played it out for fun and he beat me in a super close Game 3 where all I needed was 2 devotion to get Thassa online for the win but I missed on both the scry and the draw.

My favorite play for the night I think was T1 Cloudfin, he plays Legion Loyalist, T2 Island, Cloudfin, pass, he plays Ash Zealot and swings in with both, I Rapid one of the Cloudfins, evolving the other, block the Zealot with the Frog Lizard and the Loyalist with the Cloudfin, he scoops. :)

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
The ending of RTR would have been a great blue card about Jace winning and thinking he's going to acquire great power but instead gets stuck with a desk job that he can never quit.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Mortimer posted:

I'm saying right now, and for the few weeks after prerelease people won't be running any artifact hate unless one of the decks top 8's immediately. That's enough time to sneak in, get some store credit, and switch back before people side in naturalize.

I mean cool I guess?

When someone asked for thoughts on Ensoul Artifact I gave my thoughts about the card's viability in the meta-game as a whole for the duration of it's standard legality, given what we currently know and could reasonably expect. How the card might fare for you, for a couple of weeks at your local FNM is a very different topic and my evaluation of the card would be very different in that context.

Go nuts, I'm sure it would be fun at least, you might win some packs. but as far as the wider post rotation meta-game is concerned I still don't believe an artifact deck with Ensoul will be a serious player.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Chill la Chill posted:

A plane where nothing changed due to things like null rods and lodestone golems would be interesting and own

Okay, I agree, this would be awesome.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Well, it's a lot easier than designing one where things happen, particularly when you're actually just building off a world you already made that was hugely popular.

"hey elspeth go kill polukranos and become the suns champion and then kill Xenagos"
"No thanks. Bye."

"Hey Phyrexia go take over mirrordin!"
"Nah, we cool"

"Hey Chandra go accidentally release the eldrazi"
"I'm okay thanks, let's leave it as it is"

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Ramos posted:

The Azorius guild founder put into place a contingency for the Guildpact being broken, all those ten thousand years before Feather/Teysa/Agrus from original Ravnica managed to wreck it. The contingency is the creation of mystical Maze based on Ravnica's abundant leylines, running between the Guildgates of the guildhouses in Ravnica's Ten District. Assuming representatives of all the guilds follow the line of the maze, come through unmurdered by the guilds whose lands they're trespassing on, and are judged by a sort of ghostly telepathic steward Azorius left behind to have understood co-operation and the reasons for a Guildpact, Azorius' magic can re-instate it.

That's not awful as Magic plotlines go. Leylines were set up in original Ravnica block (in the Guildpact set even); the idea of the Azorius founder anticipating the Guildpact breaking is pretty sensible; the Azorius had a fondness for labyrinths in old Ravnica as part of their stifling bureaucracy flavour and even put one in their guild symbol: I basically buy it all.

The awful part, at least to me, is that this whole stupid thing is designed to go off without the Maze runners knowing that any of this is the case. Practically everyone thinks "Oh, a confluence of leylines that get activated if you go the right way - sounds like I can get power out of it". This is not the way to get people thinking about co-operation and working together again. What's more, the result of the steward finding the runners aren't fit to recreate the Guildpact is the entire 10th District getting Supreme Verdicted. Which, aside from mass murder of civilians and collective punishment being war crimes, is a really stupid way to manage things. When you blackmail someone into doing something, you clearly state your threat and what they need to do to stop you carrying it out. You don't stalk them until they walk into a shop, then shoot their children in front of them when they come out because they didn't rob it when you never told them they were meant to rob it.

It's the most absurd and cack-handed way of creating tension for the finale, and I have no idea why Beyer derailed a half-decent overall plot that way.

Oh, and the Dimir managed to go two for two in having their guild leaders be the worst kind of cackling Black psychos over the Ravnica blocks. Lazav wants the Verdict to go off, for no reason explained beyond "LOL PEOPLE DIE".

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 8, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Mezzanon posted:

"hey elspeth go kill polukranos and become the suns champion and then kill Xenagos"
"No thanks. Bye."

"Hey Phyrexia go take over mirrordin!"
"Nah, we cool"

"Hey Chandra go accidentally release the eldrazi"
"I'm okay thanks, let's leave it as it is"

At least two of these would've been unambiguously good ideas!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Chill la Chill posted:

A plane where nothing changed due to things like null rods and lodestone golems would be interesting and own
Return To Shandalar: Arcum Dagsson's No Fun Zone.

EDIT: Kill Switch reprint with a monument to Arcum Dagsson, crossing his arms and looking angry.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 8, 2014

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
The plane where vintage Stax players like to chill out.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Awesome Andy posted:

The ending of RTR would have been a great blue card about Jace winning and thinking he's going to acquire great power but instead gets stuck with a desk job that he can never quit.

I really need to simplify that card.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 8, 2014

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
No, making it unnecessarily complicated and bureaucratic fits.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Such a wasted opportunity for filibuster counters.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Awesome Andy posted:

What do you think 'Jace is the living guildpact' means?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Bread Set Jettison posted:

What do you think 'Jace is the living guildpact' means?
I sort of imagine the narrative here is if you leave Jace enough time to do all the backed up paperwork in his Jacecave he busts out some really sweet legal wrangling that leaves you with the cards and your opponent penniless.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
Can anyone recommend a EU based store that'll ship to the US? MCM won't have me, and all I want are some German cards :(

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ramos posted:

I really need to simplify that card.

You win in 5 turns because you can just put counters on the same creature, unless someone has removal for that creature. Only, if someone uses a Wrath you can't counter, you lose.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

endlessmonotony posted:

You win in 5 turns because you can just put counters on the same creature, unless someone has removal for that creature. Only, if someone uses a Wrath you can't counter, you lose.

"if five or more creatures have appeasement counters"
You need to put counters on different creatures.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

JohnnyTreachery posted:

Can anyone recommend a EU based store that'll ship to the US? MCM won't have me, and all I want are some German cards :(

I've used magic madhouse a couple times and they're not bad but idk if they do german cards

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Also, if someone sweeps the board, it doesn't matter, because then the ability will have no legal targets and thus won't even go on the stack.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Basically, Jace won the race without competing and became a contract or whatever is what we got to finish the Ravnica story, instead of the actually interesting thing they started with Teysa and Tajic conspiring against the Obzedat.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

JohnnyTreachery posted:

You could try magiccardmarket.eu? It depends on the individual seller if they want to ship to the US however.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Don't mess with that Ensoul Artifact spell in Modern Affinity. Unless you drastically change the mana having it available early isn't going to be a guarantee and spending two cards to make a 5/5 is going to feel terrible when it just gets hit with a Path to Exile.

Modern Affinity is one of the better game one decks in the format and you don't want to be screwing around with conditional 5/5s you might not be able to cast ever.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Jabor posted:

Also, if someone sweeps the board, it doesn't matter, because then the ability will have no legal targets and thus won't even go on the stack.

flash creatures?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I wholly expect a U/R artifact deck to make waves if only for the fact that you can Mana Charger in a hasty turn 4 Scuttling Doom Engine.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
It seems insane to me that Merchant Scroll sees no play in modern. What are some good targets other than Gifts and Revelation?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Spiderdrake posted:

Did you know she's nearly a cripple? She has a hosed up leg and walks with a cane.

RTR block flavor is the absolute worst :(

Don't worry, she found someone to help her out:

:3:^2

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AlsoD posted:

It seems insane to me that Merchant Scroll sees no play in modern. What are some good targets other than Gifts and Revelation?

There are no blue silver bullet instant, which would be the only thing really worth tutoring for. If you could tutor for scapeshift or grapeshot, sure storm or scapeshift would run those instead of a dig spell. Merchant Scroll would take the place of a card draw spell in most decks, but given how limited it is to what it can get, it doesn't see any play. If it could get any instant or sorcery, for 1U sure, it would be quite good. Control would run it over think twice if they could tutor up a bolt or path when they needed it, but being limited to a counterspell when you might need removal, it just isn't good enough. You'd never tutor for Revelation, why would you put a tutor for a draw spell in a deck when it could just be a draw spell.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I never even realized it was Modern-legal. I'm used to thinking of it as a card that only exists in High Tide.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
If it could tutor for Angel's Grace or Ad Nauseam, that deck would run it over Peer Through Depths.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

bhsman posted:

If it could tutor for Angel's Grace or Ad Nauseam, that deck would run it over Peer Through Depths.

Right. A tutor has to find a silver bullet, basically the card that makes a combo engine go off etc. It isn't good enough to just go tutor a counterspell or draw spell, which is pretty much what all blue instants are in modern.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

jassi007 posted:

Right. A tutor has to find a silver bullet, basically the card that makes a combo engine go off etc. It isn't good enough to just go tutor a counterspell or draw spell, which is pretty much what all blue instants are in modern.

Yeah, though in fairness a Scroll could tutor for Negation Pact for Ad Nauseam instead of paying 1UU for transmuting Tolaria West, though that can be used as mana or a Boseiju Tutor in a pinch...

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Do you know what are better than Ensoul Artifact for Affinity and don't see play?

Shrapnel Blast. Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas.

Case Closed.

If you think a turn 2 5/5 is relevant and worth spending 2 cards on, you might as well be playing bogles. You could also save yourself a card and play zoo or jund.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 8, 2014

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Zoness posted:

Do you know what are better than Ensoul Artifact for Affinity and don't see play?

Case Closed.

If you think a turn 2 5/5 is relevant and worth spending 2 cards on, you might as well be playing bogles. You could also save yourself a card and play zoo or jund.

Neither of those things turns a Darksteel Citadel/Springleaf Drum/Mox Opal into a 5/5 for 2 mana. You seem very excited that people shouldn't play cards you don't like.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

Neither of those things turns a Darksteel Citadel/Springleaf Drum/Mox Opal into a 5/5 for 2 mana. You seem very excited that people shouldn't play cards you don't like.

look i know that a 5/5 for two mana sounds like a really good deal to you but 2 drops in modern affinity have a much higher standard. Arcbound ravager and cranial plating are much, much stronger than a measly 5/5.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zoness posted:

Case Closed.

Just for you I'm going to run a copy or two and top 8 with my t1 5/5 ensouled thopter.

Yes I get that it doesn't seem good, but modern affinity is cargo cult deckbuilding at this point.
This thread is bad at card evaluation.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Not everybody has to be a Spike playing only the best possible cards.

Some people enjoy doing "stupid" things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So what color is everyone getting at the prerelease? I'm thinking either red (I want to cast a generator servant) or black (the best promo).

• Locked thread