Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

Tunicate posted:

I keep getting 'something has collapsed on the surface' messages, with the announcement coming a few z-level above my mining.

Also, new trees are great.

New trees are fantastic, just sitting on massive stockpiles of lumber from a few trees is a great feeling. It has been a little weird to see certain dwarves flee straight up trees whenever they see a coati, but it gave me the idea to make safety treehouses with lockable doors if they get caught out in the wild.

I can't wait to try out adventure mode but I figure that I'll try out a flatland fortress first to see if I can survive climbing goblin hordes. Also I love that cats are Legendary climbers :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Roflex posted:

Everyone wants to climb trees for some reason.

Well, wouldn't you if you suddenly could teleclimb?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I made an adventurer, was asked to kill a vampire, and insisted the vampire was fantastic to the unimpressed lord. I then stood in the middle of town and screamed requests for the vampire's whereabouts while people confusedly lobbed information at me. Then they all became frightened because I was holding a weapon. After that I went into the wilds and was attacked and torn apart by bogeymen. Highlights include one of them kicking me in the left small toe so hard that it exploded into gore.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
These bugs and quirks are hilarious. I love new releases. Toady will fix it up, but for now it's an adventure as a pure player and observer.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Is she a vampire?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I sautered into the local tavern and begun interrorgating the locals on things to kill. None of them would join me, but went ahead and told me about a band of kobolds they didnt like a while off in the Desert of Boring, but told me a local dwarf named Zas knew more. I found Zas heading outside while talking with an axeman about the weather, but he agreed to join me and also gave me better directions to the kobold camp.

I showed up to the camp and the kobolds didnt really care that much, and in fact, didnt have much to say at all. I went ahead and chopped ones head off, which didnt really raise much commotion amongst the others, aside from throwing blue !'s above them which... meant something. I went ahead and killed the rest of them, and Zas told me about a nearby bandit encampment. Those guys were similarly benign; I stabbed one repeatedly in the gut until he collapsed cursing me, and none of his companions moved to save him either, although they did spit at me. I found the cheftian and told him I was claiming the site and that he could come chill as my underling, which he replied would be resisted with all his force. He was all talk tho and I decided to stab his face too, which roused a nearby bowman to aid him. Both of them went down, and a nearby bandit wrestler agreed to be my hearthman or what have you.

Satisfied, I left, slaughtered another camp while demanding they pay homage to my own. There was only one guy and he demanded my site pay homage to his. I cut his hands off and he bled to death while crying that he was yielding. Zas showed up and commented about being surrounded by death, and said that we should "avoid hurting anybody". I decided to head back to the tavern when my game crashed again.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
^I think the blue exclamation mark means they're talking? Or it might be a tracking thing, not sure.

:eyepop:

How exactly does one equip a war dog?

skasion fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 8, 2014

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Zomborgon posted:

Well, wouldn't you if you suddenly could teleclimb?

Apparently they can't figure out how to get down. 5 of my original 7 are bedridden after falling out of trees.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

IN A TIME BEFORE TIME, THE WASTE DEMON EZUK NECROVOMIT THE LUSTFUL HAG THRUST A SPIRE OF SLADE UP FROM THE UNDERWORLD, NAMING IT THE BASTION OF MUCUS, AND ESTABLISHED A GATEWAY BETWEEN WORLDS IN DUNGEONDELLS :black101:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Of course, for the DF-LPers among us, we can't forget some of the additions to the descriptions...

Only just started, and no crazy dreams yet (creating a masterwork x3, family x2, great work of art x2) , but since characters can and will have "Dreams of world conquest", among others, this is actually pretty cool.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I started a fort and kea people immediately stole my wheelbarrow. Then the game crashed. I think I'll stick with adventure mode for now.

GorfZaplen posted:

IN A TIME BEFORE TIME, THE WASTE DEMON EZUK NECROVOMIT THE LUSTFUL HAG THRUST A SPIRE OF SLADE UP FROM THE UNDERWORLD, NAMING IT THE BASTION OF MUCUS, AND ESTABLISHED A GATEWAY BETWEEN WORLDS IN DUNGEONDELLS :black101:

Holy poo poo

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I think I need to turn down my worldgen a bit; I don't feel like adventuring in all of these Age of Death worlds.

e: I discovered a cool little story in the legends: a human woman named Lene Alothaimaza ("Tonguesnake") was born in 464, who became a trader. She wandered for about 45 years beginning at age 52, then went on to confront a forgotten beast*, was defeated but unharmed, then came back two years later to slay it for good. The next year, she died of old age at 100. That's one badass old lady.

* a scaly, firebreathing leech of 75 kills

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 8, 2014

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Why is everyone so depressed and suicidal? Half the townspeople I talk to tell me to kill or rescue someone and then they kill themselves.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

New DF verdict.

Groooovy.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

New DF verdict.

Groooovy.

Urist McGroovy has been feelin' fine lately.
His bushy sideburns are unkempt. His hair is neatly shaped into a large afro.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Urist McGroovy has been feelin' fine lately.
His bushy sideburns are unkempt. His hair is neatly shaped into a large afro.

His afro is holding a ≡Mithril Pick≡. His neck is adorned with rings of hanging gold.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The big evil in my world is a hare demon named Acmot Dungstar. Aww who's a cute widdle bunny foo foo?

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Flying creatures aren't very good at dodging trees yet.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Darn, getting a crash after retiring a fort and trying to adventure in the world, at 'loading civilized populations'.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cephalocidal posted:

Flying creatures aren't very good at dodging trees yet.

New megaproject: A giant clear glass window.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

skasion posted:

How polite :unsmith:

Hey, I think the Beatles wrote a song about this guy.

quote:

I started a fort and kea people immediately stole my wheelbarrow. Then the game crashed. I think I'll stick with adventure mode for now.
That is literally what it is like with real keas, if they were big enough to steal a wheelbarrow.

Lobsterpillar fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 8, 2014

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Pulping is in, in a limited fashion.

"You bash the swordsman in the head from behind with your copper flail and the injured part explodes into gore!"

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I went to a necromancer tower and the zombies up and killed all of their masters before killing me. I don't think that's supposed to happen E: AND THEN THEY WERE REANIMATED BY THEIR BROTHERS AND SISTERS HOLY poo poo

Crackmaster
Feb 6, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

New version is out, definitely check it out: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

THAT FUCKIN COOKIE CAN CLICK ITSELF, I GOT DWARFS TO DROWN

I was all set to see you post a link to the new version that just said "No release yet, just a boring devlog", now I'm all disappointed. I thought you were better than this.

Anyway, I've got my seasonal autosaves enabled, Move view up/down (z) keys swapped, "Leave screen" set to the old fashioned Space instead of Escape, and hideous Linear filtering turned off (Nearest Neighbor wins hands down, goddammit). I'm poking around in the site finder now, if I end up with any good stories I'll be sure to share.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
The hostility / emotion thing is a bit wonky but it does make quirky stories. I got ambushed by two dudes who were going on about how some other dude they were seperated from random fellows. They refused to stop fighting me so I killed the both, then came across a camp. I told the camp leader about the fact I killed some dudes and he's calling me a murderer but I still don't really know if they were related in any way since those two were immediately hostile while this guy is just spitting at me.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Oh, as a PS, this might be a good time to flood the Dwarf Fortress room of Doodle or Die.

EDIT: I added a few DF2014 sketchies for you to follow from. :v: An example below:

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 8, 2014

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Oh actually I guess they were related since now when I ask him about his troubles he mentioned that I killed Mel.

He should probably be trying to kill me or something here but maybe he sort of realizes I could probably take him?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Eagerly awaiting the first report of someone going blind in an eye from spit hitting it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Actually, I think I may have borne witness to a necromancer gang war.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
There really doesn't seem to be a way to actually provoke a dude into fighting you.

Although after he killed me after I tried to smash his face he was nice enough to brag about murdering me.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

A friend got this in worldgen

quote:

Lomoth Greencobalt the Terrible Menace of Curses was an ape brute. He was the only one of his kind. A towering scaly ape twisted into humanoid form. It murmurs horrible curses. Its eyes glow scarlet. Its buff scales are round and set far apart. Beware its noxious secretions! Lomoth was associated with murder and light.

In a time before time, Lomoth thrust a spire of slade up from the underworld, naming it the Radiant Citadel, and established a gateway between worlds in Scourgedsenses.

In a time before time, Lomoth ruled from The Radiant Citadel of the Midnight of Marshes in Scourgedsenses.

quote:

Zothrol aided Lomoth in becoming a permanent part of the living world that more might be murdered. The ritual took place in Spiderhelped using the Phantom of Plagues.

Zothrol was a deity that occurs in the myths of the Kingdom of Culmination. Zothrol was most often depicted as a male human and was associated with death and murder.

Deities grant demons immortal magic powers now. That's unbelievably hardcore

e: He named his general NOURISHEDPROFANE. Goblin civs are seriously living death metal albums.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
theyre just doing a musical

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

These instructions to install the Mayday tileset worked for me under Linux for the latest version. The new trees don't look right but it's better than the ascii.
http://goblinart.pl/vg-eng/DFGtutorial.php

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

jesus christ

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

How do you bite an eyelid from behind?

Not pictured: Shaking my victim's body by the eyelid, filling my stomach from drinking blood off his body while he was still alive, licking my own eyeballs.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Tiler Kiwi posted:

theyre just doing a musical

Le Mis would be a happy story in a DF world.....

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Okay, I'm looking through the new raws, running a comparison against a fresh set of 34.11 ones.

Everything's got necks, necks, necks. Neck bodyplans humanoid necks all hail the necks

body_default.txt posted:

[BODY:SKULL]
[BP:SKULL:skull:STP]
[CONTYPE:HEAD]
[INTERNAL][SMALL]
[CATEGORY:SKULL]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:200]
This lets you make a totem out of the part. The relationship between the skull and the brain is established within body detail plans or the creature itself.
[TOTEMABLE]
[PREVENTS_PARENT_COLLAPSE]
[CONNECTOR]

The PREVENTS_PARENT_COLLAPSE thing is also on all spinal parts. What does this mean?

item_pants.txt posted:

[ITEM_PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_SKIRT_SHORT]
[NAME:skirt:skirts]
[ADJECTIVE:short]
[LAYER:OVER]
[COVERAGE:100]
[LAYER_SIZE:10]
[LAYER_PERMIT:100]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:2]
[SOFT]
[LEATHER]
[STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_WOVEN_THREAD]

Did Toady make "wobbegong leather short/long skirts" into "short/long wobbegong leather skirts"? Can't say I'm unhappy.

e: There's so much weapon stats embedded in the executable now. Procedurally generated weapons...? :stonk:

scamtank fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

scamtank posted:

The PREVENTS_PARENT_COLLAPSE thing is also on all spinal parts. What does this mean?

You might need a sleep, because just looking at the capitalised bits with the keyword "spinal" tells me what's happening here. I'd imagine there are quite a few muscle groups as parents of the spinal column, so... Well, people collapse a bit when their spinal column is geborken.