Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The shifter now actually clicks positively on to gear and barely shakes on the highway. I bet I'm a balance away from being able to drive on i90 with the flow of traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

This is a tie with some Doccers photo for AI.jpg.

That rust (:stonk:) reminded me that a coworker is selling his 2wd 88 Comanche in SoCal if anyone is interested.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

This is a tie with some Doccers photo for AI.jpg.

Which one, the one with his Volvo, the M35 and an Opel GT in one shot, or the one where he's shredding cheese on a lathe for the Chickencheese thread?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Only about 25% of that is rust, the rest is me smashing it repeatedly into rocks while offroad. Rocker panels that don't exist due to rust fold over pretty easy when you use them as rock sliders.

Between that and the awful floor and frame rust, and stresscracking everywhere, that truck is about done. I have purchased its replacement but haven't started building it yet. This one is nice enough to actually armor and plate instead of just smashing the gently caress out of it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
BELLHOUSING CHAT

Been keeping a close eye on the XJ's bellhousing. It hasn't cracked all the way to the engine mounting flange on either end, so haven't hosed with it, but will probably do the new BH install tomorrow night.

Also lined up a free cummins/mopar v10 to nv4500 bellhousing in exchange for picking up a parts tranny an hour away and wiring an AW4 manumatic controller for a friend. Unsure if I am going to rebuild an nv4500 with it and a free diesel input shaft I have a line on, then sell it for $2k, or save it and use it for something. Worst case, I can sell the BH for $275 online.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

this is a jet engine my friends jackc, chris (yes, the unreliable one from the 5 ton recovery trip), and I built in jackc's garage back in 2009. The first time we ran it, it blew a boost hose off and burned all the hair off my arm.

So naturally when jack recommended we run it again while bbqing at my place today I thought this was an excellent idea.

The bearings in the turbo just aren't, and the mosfet in our homebuilt ignition coil driver blew up, so we are firing it using a mapp gas torch and a 5/16 washer jammed against the sparkplug bung. You feed it compressed air to get it spinning, propane to burn, and then jam the mapp torch in and it reaches horrifying speeds. I have to use a piece of 14ga copper wire to support the end of the turbo spindle while spinning it up or the compressor wheel binds on the housing.

Then it goes from a million rpm to zero the first time a fin hits the housing and farts out a huge fireball.

Video later.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

A large pile of Jeep, Honda, and Subaru parts just arrived at my desk. Looks like I'm modding Rhyno's ECU tonight after work.

(still no videos of the jet engine unfortunately, jackc's honda exploded trying to leave and we spent all day Sunday putting it back together instead of him uploading videos.)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Rhyno's ECU is now modded, a few notes:
* Honda has no loving idea what a thermal relief is. A few of the pads go straight into ground planes, which is great for cooling the part (not necessary) but annoying for soldering. Their engineers need a refresher course in PCB layout.
* They used a thin, almost invisible (I didn't notice till I started soldering, actually) conformal coating to prevent corrosion. I obviously had to break through this layer to solder to the pads effectively. I don't have any on hand to recoat the areas I worked on - if you expect high humidity or water exposure to the ECU inside the cabin, I recommend pulling the back panel (the one with ribbing) off and giving it a quick shot with something like this: http://www.ellsworth.com/humiseal-1b31-acrylic-aerosol-conformal-coating-340ml-can/?gclid=CKPFg9SytL8CFc8F7AodsW4AJQ
* For some reason R201, the 10k 1/8w 5% resistor from the VTEC kit, was already populated. Probably as a pulldown/pullup resistor on a logic signal that would otherwise be left floating.

Rhyno - I'll have it off in the mail as soon as I have an address to send to, unless the sending address is fine.

I took a video of the process but it ended up being incredibly boring.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The factory ECU location, IIRC, is behind the passenger kickpanel. Shouldn't be exposed to any real moisture unless the car is deep enough in water to get past the lower sill (which writes off the interior at that point), or the HVAC fresh air intake starts leaking (mostly an issue on 90-93 Integras, and even then, mainly because the ECU was under the carpet.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, should be fine, I just don't like reducing weatherproofing below factory levels.

Video of the ghettojet test runs and capacitor bank destruction is uploading. Be warned that you may suddenly want to listen to techno played on a banjo upon watching this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B58BChgRL4I

That turbo started out junk (miles of side and end play) and got so bad it wouldn't even spin more than half a dozen revs before jamming when it scrammed the last time in the video. It's toast, fortunately we have one off a 7.3L PowerStroke E450 to rig up next, this one's in good enough shape that it even deserves an oiling system :haw:

(the combustor will also be scaled up appropriately. This one was just a ghetto proof of concept we threw together with less than $200 spent all-in back in 2009 before we had any idea what we were doing.)

kastein fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 11, 2014

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

Yeah, should be fine, I just don't like reducing weatherproofing below factory levels.

Video of the ghettojet test runs and capacitor bank destruction is uploading. Be warned that you may suddenly want to listen to techno played on a banjo upon watching this video.

That turbo started out junk (miles of side and end play) and got so bad it wouldn't even spin more than half a dozen revs before jamming when it scrammed the last time in the video. It's toast, fortunately we have one off a 7.3L PowerStroke E450 to rig up next, this one's in good enough shape that it even deserves an oiling system :haw:

Private video :colbert:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's still only at 40% uploaded and probably won't be done processing on youtube for another hour at least, but thanks for catching that, I'll fix it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Good lord man. I don't want to know what a burning can of brakleen smells like.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Now you need to build a CO2 laser that runs off those caps.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Absolutely nothing, surprisingly. I only buy the kind that's all acetone/heptane (no really nasty chemicals) specifically because I know I'm gonna set some on fire most times I use it, and it burns super clean. Cleaner than gasoline in fact.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

kastein posted:

Absolutely nothing, surprisingly. I only buy the kind that's all acetone/heptane (no really nasty chemicals) specifically because I know I'm gonna set some on fire most times I use it, and it burns super clean. Cleaner than gasoline in fact.

Countdown to a brakleen powered vehicle.

That was awesome. Can't wait to see what you guys do with a bigger turbo that's actually oiled.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

Good lord man. I don't want to know what a burning can of brakleen smells like.

Someone should turn that part of the video into a GIF so we can make it the title of AI.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

kastein posted:

Is that the difference between the red and green cans? I was wondering which was better at the store the other day...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kastein posted:

Ok I need to plan a trip, I miss junk yard jet engines and blowing stuff up.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Is that the difference between the red and green cans? I was wondering which was better at the store the other day...

One works and melts your skin/lungs off. the other is 10% better than wd-40.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

"Nah it just arced, it does that" :v:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Goons get into trouble quite well. Then they go get engineering degrees and poo poo; at that point I start fearing for the safety of all man kind.

I cackled like a goddamn maniac when the brakleen went up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

One works and melts your skin/lungs off. the other is 10% better than wd-40.

The "non flammable" kind contains nasty rear end chlorinated poo poo and chemicals with benzene rings in them. Xylene, toluene, ethylbenzene, etc. Oh and it will create amazing things like phosgene, chloramine, chlorine gas, chlorine free radicals, etc if you weld near it. Fun poo poo.

The "non chlorinated" kind USUALLY has a variety of nasty poo poo in it, but a handful of formulations are literally just acetone, heptane, and co2 propellant. Those are the ones I buy. Autozone non chlorinated and two others that I can't remember the brand/product names of, but would recognize the can. Just read the ingredients list on the back. The one with limonene (which has a really nasty sounding IUPAC chemical name) in it is pretty drat good, and smells like lemons because that's what limonene is.

Honestly I prefer the acetone/heptane kind, it dries with less residue. I find the non chlorinated kinds that include ethylbenzene and xylene/xylol tend to leave a slight oily residue and don't dissolve poo poo as well, and the chlorinated kind leaves really lovely residue too IMO.

Oh, I have been forgetting to check the transfer case fluid in the XJ for many months now and heard a funny noise yesterday morning on the way to work. So I figured I was running dry and would have to tear the transfer case down for rebuild.

Pulled the fill plug, pumped some in... yeah it was only about a cup low. I don't trust vehicles that can bleed for 7 months and not die.

Transmission was actually overfull, not surprising since I put a little too much in it and replaced the seals, but figured I should check just in case.

Engine though... yeah it needed 4 quarts of oil. Whoops.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

kastein posted:

(the combustor will also be scaled up appropriately. This one was just a ghetto proof of concept we threw together with less than $200 spent all-in back in 2009 before we had any idea what we were doing.)

Dear Mister Ken I would like a video of you setting fire to something with a pulsejet please and thank you Signed Jeherrin (27 years)

Realtalk — that was cool as hell. Would I be right in thinking that the move from lighting the exhaust to using the batterypack to power a sparkplug to igniting inside the casing with the tiny torch was simply ever more efficient methods of doing the same thing — ensuring consistent combustion all the way up to operating RPM?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well. The ignition system we designed in 2009 was rather crude, just a 12V battery and LM555 driving a 2N3055 transistor running an old can-style ignition coil, but having never done such a thing back then, it wasn't built right and let the smoke out of the transistor. So we resorted to lighting the exhaust and hoping it'd chase back up into the combustor. This works, but only if you have a leafblower to boot it up with, it won't work if you're using an airgun and a smallish jobsite compressor.

Moving to the miniature oxy/mapp torch was just a convenient way of getting the fire to the right spot (inside the combustor) without other issues, since it provides its own oxygen and fits the opening well... in fact with the addition of one 5/16" cut washer, it blocked the spark plug hole off entirely while providing fire, which worked out far better than expected.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It took a few hours but I have my XJ front cut for the street MJ project.

So now I can gently caress around with that when I get bored working on the house. Wonder how much trimming the firewall will need...

Might even toss a 2x4 frame under it with scrap lumber to represent the suspension so I can get approximate stock clearances to play with.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

kastein posted:

Well. The ignition system we designed in 2009 was rather crude, just a 12V battery and LM555 driving a 2N3055 transistor running an old can-style ignition coil, but having never done such a thing back then, it wasn't built right and let the smoke out of the transistor. So we resorted to lighting the exhaust and hoping it'd chase back up into the combustor. This works, but only if you have a leafblower to boot it up with, it won't work if you're using an airgun and a smallish jobsite compressor.

Moving to the miniature oxy/mapp torch was just a convenient way of getting the fire to the right spot (inside the combustor) without other issues, since it provides its own oxygen and fits the opening well... in fact with the addition of one 5/16" cut washer, it blocked the spark plug hole off entirely while providing fire, which worked out far better than expected.

Does it not have a flame holder?

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

kastein posted:

The "non flammable" kind contains nasty rear end chlorinated poo poo and chemicals with benzene rings in them. Xylene, toluene, ethylbenzene, etc. Oh and it will create amazing things like phosgene, chloramine, chlorine gas, chlorine free radicals, etc if you weld near it. Fun poo poo.

The "non chlorinated" kind USUALLY has a variety of nasty poo poo in it, but a handful of formulations are literally just acetone, heptane, and co2 propellant. Those are the ones I buy. Autozone non chlorinated and two others that I can't remember the brand/product names of, but would recognize the can. Just read the ingredients list on the back. The one with limonene (which has a really nasty sounding IUPAC chemical name) in it is pretty drat good, and smells like lemons because that's what limonene is.

Honestly I prefer the acetone/heptane kind, it dries with less residue. I find the non chlorinated kinds that include ethylbenzene and xylene/xylol tend to leave a slight oily residue and don't dissolve poo poo as well, and the chlorinated kind leaves really lovely residue too IMO.

The chlorinated solvent is usually trichloroethene, which is both acutely hazardous (CNS depressant) and chronically toxic, resulting in increased rates of kidney and liver cancers and the development of Parkinson's Disease. For those reasons, it is a big-time environmental hazard, in terms of soil and groundwater contamination. Since I have spent most of my career in the environmental industry cleaning that poo poo up, I don't buy the chlorinated versions on general principle.

When we take groundwater samples to check for contamination from a gas station or other source of gasoline, they get analyzed for Benzene, Toluene, Ethylbenzene, and Xylene, collectively called BTEX. If you have contamination from diesel, BTEX is basically useless because diesel contains little of any of those 4 compounds. To check for diesel contamination, we analyze for either SVOCs (semi-volatile organic compounds) or PAHs (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons).

Edit: clarification

bandman fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 15, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

bandman posted:

Since I have spent most of my career in the environmental industry cleaning that poo poo up

Do you have checks for biodiesel?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cakefool posted:

Do you have checks for biodiesel?

They press a tortilla on to the ground and check to see if it tastes like a fiesta.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

bandman posted:

The chlorinated solvent is usually trichloroethene, which is both acutely hazardous (CNS depressant) and chronically toxic, resulting in increased rates of kidney and liver cancers and the development of Parkinson's Disease. For those reasons, it is a big-time environmental hazard, in terms of soil and groundwater contamination. Since I have spent most of my career in the environmental industry cleaning that poo poo up, I don't buy the chlorinated versions on general principle.

When we take groundwater samples to check for contamination from a gas station or other source of gasoline, they get analyzed for Benzene, Toluene, Ethylbenzene, and Xylene, collectively called BTEX. If you have contamination from diesel, BTEX is basically useless because diesel contains little of any of those 4 compounds. To check for diesel contamination, we analyze for either SVOCs (semi-volatile organic compounds) or PAHs (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons).

Edit: clarification

A friend works for a nation-wide conveyor company. He gave me a 1gal pail of trichloroethene, straight from the 55gal drum they use to fill those refillable metal gas cans from. I don't know what to do with it, I'm honestly a bit scared to use it. Especially after meeting his coworkers, who were all in their early fifties, and not being able to shake their hands due to how dried out/cracked/bleeding they were from years of trichloroethene use without gloves. :stonk: It was just loving terrible.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well I just blew nearly 600 bucks on rockauto, so something retarded is happening this weekend, no matter what.

I just don't fully know how retarded it's going to be.

e: those of you who already know what's up, keep a lid on it :v:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I may be coming to play in the retard bin.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Livestream?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Maybe? I am not that technologically advanced. :haw:

Oh yeah, last night I drove to Ozmiander's place and grabbed a pile of EJ25 parts from his stillborn Subaru project.

And I have a pile of EJ22E parts we pulled out of a random 91 legacy or something at the junkyard 3 or 4 weeks ago.

I need to find my NP231 parts pile (shouldn't be hard, there are at least 3 torn apart NP231s scattered around my house) and begin measuring and sperging about things. And maybe find a turbo and a propeller, I haven't decided yet.

My visit to the Haus of Horrible Slow Vehicles
(mine fits in very nicely there)

kastein fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 22, 2014

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Am I bringing a spare TD04 :getin:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

Maybe? I am not that technologically advanced. :haw:

Oh yeah, last night I drove to Ozmiander's place and grabbed a pile of EJ25 parts from his stillborn Subaru project.

And I have a pile of EJ22E parts we pulled out of a random 91 legacy or something at the junkyard 3 or 4 weeks ago.

I need to find my NP231 parts pile (shouldn't be hard, there are at least 3 torn apart NP231s scattered around my house) and begin measuring and sperging about things. And maybe find a turbo and a propeller, I haven't decided yet.

(mine fits in very nicely there)

Bonus points if you spotted where i painted the flares for my F150.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Well I just blew nearly 600 bucks on rockauto, so something retarded is happening this weekend, no matter what.

I just don't fully know how retarded it's going to be.

e: those of you who already know what's up, keep a lid on it :v:

How much fire will be involved?

Better be, like, at least 20 fire. Maybe 25.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Slow cars and fast rust!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

kastein posted:

Propeller

Wait, what?