Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I just converted a thing from json to xml and the average file size shrank

admittedly the json had a bunch of extra white space because it was trying to be human readable, but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you can probably have your json generate eliminate the whitespace which will make it smaller, but really the difference between xml + json size wont ever be significant and if ur compressing it over http its going to eliminate any remaining difference.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

tbqh if u care about size the first thing is gzip. then see if u still care after that. probably not

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if ur doing real development, you use xml. if you're doing javascript, you use json.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Xtremely-good Markup Language

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yep, pretty much.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

if ur doing real development, you use xml. if you're doing javascript, you use json.

chef uses json for config files

:smithicide:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
tbqh I didn't care in the first place. i switched to xml to get good tool support. it just surprised me because I'd subconsciously believed all the hype about xml being too verbose I guess

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
anytime web "developers" say a thing you can assume the opposite is true.

Socracheese
Oct 20, 2008

Shaggar posted:

anytime web "developers" say a thing you can assume the opposite is true.

as a webdev, shaggar was right

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i look forward to my final year project of doing more django development

i really need that A

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

nice av valeyard

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

prefect posted:

chef uses json for config files

:smithicide:

he said real development, not ruby

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Forums Terrorist posted:

nice av valeyard

ive never even talked about liking anime, i cant people people would lie like this. also its CHARTS, not GRAPHS, jesus..

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Symbolic Butt posted:

someone redtext prefect with "THIS IS GROOVY" thanks in advance

this but with a good will

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
who here protobuf their data streams all over user faces?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

hey shaggar i saw this and thought of you http://jsonresume.org/

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

MeramJert posted:

string

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

I gave up on the princeton algos course because I hated the exercises they provided, mainly due to tedium

imma resign myself to never doing anything interesting or cool and pop out a couple of kids, later

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

MeramJert posted:

lol, they assume everyone has exactly two names. fail at the very first hurdle.

they also assume everyone lives in a city for some reason?

e: i'm the hobby

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 8, 2014

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Share Bear posted:

imma resign myself to never doing anything interesting or cool and pop out a couple of kids, later

thats a pro post/avatar combo

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Soricidus posted:

lol, they assume everyone has exactly two names. fail at the very first hurdle.

they also assume everyone lives in a city for some reason?

e: i'm the hobby

if you don't live in a city (town, village, hamlet, commune, whatever), where do you live?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unincorporated_area

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

i live in a floating libertarian paradise in international waters

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
but enough about coding from the bathtub

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

prefect posted:

if you don't live in a city (town, village, hamlet, commune, whatever), where do you live?
I live in a town. "city" has a well-defined legal meaning in my country and the place I live is not one.

basically it's the same problem as the first/last name fields. it's overspecifying badly because the creator is incapable of grasping that his requirements are not universal. babby's first schema.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

first name / last name is a very bad way of doing it

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Soricidus posted:

I live in a town. "city" has a well-defined legal meaning in my country and the place I live is not one.

basically it's the same problem as the first/last name fields. it's overspecifying badly because the creator is incapable of grasping that his requirements are not universal. babby's first schema.

there's probably an rfc for specifying somebody's postal address; they should adapt that into their json thing

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i work with people that go by: given name / family name; family name / given name; non-legal given name / family name (but your employer would still need to know your legal name); and given name (no family name).

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

ya you dont want to get caught lying on your resume about your legal status of the neighborhood you live

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.

Share Bear posted:

I gave up on the princeton algos course because I hated the exercises they provided, mainly due to tedium

same but the first week

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

same but the first week

i thought the first week was a weed-out week that they forgot to take out of the online course, but nope

this is moreso for the "exercises" rather than the actual homework, which was challenging enough. they probably won't give a survey to ask why i dropped the class.

the exercises were mostly questions about what'd happen if you stopped an algorithm after a certain, usually tedious to calculate, number of steps. you could of course write your own implementation, hope it was accurate, and use that to solve the questions, but then you could not reuse the code for the homework.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
data structures and algorithms are the most important things they'll teach you in a comp sci program.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Shaggar posted:

data structures and algorithms are the most important things they'll teach you in a comp sci program.

why?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
because the knowledge is general and applicable to real world programming unlike most everything else in your cs degree.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I mean even then the implementation details aren't critical, its mostly the ability to think about what they are doing and how they use resources so you can pick the best things for your situation.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
When I graduated I was like 'wtf I can't write code' but I knew all the data structures and algos and stuff and yeah that does come in handy as time goes. Helps you get past a lot of the fluff in real programming.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
ok, thx. i just kind of assumed the shaggarpinion would be that "programming java" is more practically important than "implementing your own sort"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
well thats also true. you should use java and you should never implement your own sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Shaggar posted:

thanks for the update

• Locked thread