Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cavauro posted:

Well you see, the first thing they claimed was that they tested it on their 3 coders for a couple months. But you are supposed to know from that information that they've gone through extensive medical testing, without it being brought up. Even though that would be an infinitely better thing for the presenter to mention, he doesn't. So you're supposed to laugh at the judges for being dumb and not inferring properly.

CelestialScribe posted:

Holy poo poo, people. You're supposed to laugh at the start up dudes, not the judges. How is this even up for debate. Goons are terrible at television.

The only correct opinion is my opinion see you next season!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

John Big Booty posted:

Not the same thing at all.

Yeah the bad startup joke actually has a basis in reality since the US military has crowd control weapon that gives the victims a skin burning sensation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvZCz_3Fqog

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

John Big Booty posted:

Not the same thing at all.

How so? It's a different frequency of radiation than on the show but seems to be the same idea pretty much.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

How so? It's a different frequency of radiation than on the show but seems to be the same idea pretty much.

The joke on the show is based on the real world millimeter wave radar torture device which gives the target a burning sensation, while the MIT idea just focuses LEDs.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

Gamma rays are also just a different frequency of radiation

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
The personal heater joke is basically the same as the "our app can get you rats" joke.

It doesn't matter if the app can safely procure rats, because this is a business showcase and on demand rat procurement is not a useful mass market startup idea.

Similarly, it doesn't matter if the personal heater can safely microwave your skin, because this is a business showcase and a heater that microwaves your skin is not a useful mass market startup idea.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Factor Mystic posted:

The personal heater joke is basically the same as the "our app can get you rats" joke.

It doesn't matter if the app can safely procure rats, because this is a business showcase and on demand rat procurement is not a useful mass market startup idea.

Similarly, it doesn't matter if the personal heater can safely microwave your skin, because this is a business showcase and a heater that microwaves your skin is not a useful mass market startup idea.

Ok so it is a vagina or a butterfly or a monster's face.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

withak posted:

yes!!

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
That CAN'T be safe.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
itt Goons would actually buy the personal heater from the show.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

mr.capps posted:

itt Goons would actually buy the personal heater from the show.

It would help me more efficiently poopsock in vidja games

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mobby_6kl posted:

The show was about microwaving people, how was that not clear?

MIT just made a heat lamp with kinect glued to it.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
poo poo I would've bought the heater.. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to impulse shopping.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

The show was about microwaving people, how was that not clear?

MIT just made a heat lamp with kinect glued to it.

Yeah...I don't get how we're still taking about this. The MIT deal is basically the same sort of heat lamp you can get wherever + a servo. The thing on the show involved the words "microwave" and "people". Even if it's a proven-safe (on interns) invention right now, it's still not something you can sell to the public at a contest/press event like TechCrunch without years of set up coverage.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

ultramiraculous posted:

Yeah...I don't get how we're still taking about this. The MIT deal is basically the same sort of heat lamp you can get wherever + a servo. The thing on the show involved the words "microwave" and "people". Even if it's a proven-safe (on interns) invention right now, it's still not something you can sell to the public at a contest/press event like TechCrunch without years of set up coverage.

Tbf they really should've had some science prepared to show if it was hazardous other than oh my interns have been using it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Babygravy posted:

Tbf they really should've had some science prepared to show if it was hazardous other than oh my interns have been using it.

That's the joke. He's been microwaving his interns and that isn't safe.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

IRQ posted:

The joke is also that it's safe but the judges leap to a conclusion because 'everyone knows' microwave+people=bad.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

WarLocke posted:

The joke is also that it's safe but the judges leap to a conclusion because 'everyone knows' microwave+people=bad.
It's not natural.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

WarLocke posted:

:ughh:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

HOLY gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYTc55nGEI

Escape Car 3000
Oct 12, 2008

Konsek posted:

So who wants to read a 12 page Stanford research paper on Optimal Tip to Tip Efficiency?

I read through this paper and the only thing I was confused about was why gratification was reduced when jerking at an angle. They only use the horizontal component of the jerk vector. I feel that as long as the grip is maintained, the presenter should be able achieve the same gratification regardless of the angle.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

withak posted:

It's a penis. It's ALWAYS a penis.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

IRQ posted:

But interns... It's kinda their thing to be used and discarded

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Escape Car 3000 posted:

I read through this paper and the only thing I was confused about was why gratification was reduced when jerking at an angle. They only use the horizontal component of the jerk vector. I feel that as long as the grip is maintained, the presenter should be able achieve the same gratification regardless of the angle.

It also raises another question implicitly that it fails to answer - what's the third derivative of the jerk?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

mobby_6kl posted:

It also raises another question implicitly that it fails to answer - what's the third derivative of the jerk?

I suspect that's a bit of an "inside joke."

The first derivative of position is velocity, the second derivative is acceleration, and the third derivative?

The jerk.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Speaking of absurd startups there was recently a short lived startup called Washboard based around the idea of mailing you quarters for apartment laundry machines.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Tbf that's not such a horrible idea for those chronically lazy to find change machines.. I'd probably do it

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Babygravy posted:

Tbf that's not such a horrible idea for those chronically lazy to find change machines.. I'd probably do it

Most grocery stores can get you change at the customer service desk but gasp it requires actual social interaction.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Babygravy posted:

Tbf that's not such a horrible idea for those chronically lazy to find change machines

You mean the ones within the very laundromat you're going to?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I've never been to an apartment that had a change machine. Should just be able to use my debit card.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Here is a nice long read on how Silicon Valley is trying to disrupt the laundry industry.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

You mean the ones within the very laundromat you're going to?

The only laundromat I've ever used were my university residence ones, which only took dollars and had no change machines.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Have these people never heard of banks? If you know you need quarters far enough ahead that you can order them via some online service you could probably just run out to the bank with a 20$ and be set for a few weeks...

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

thathonkey posted:

Have these people never heard of banks? If you know you need quarters far enough ahead that you can order them via some online service you could probably just run out to the bank with a 20$ and be set for a few weeks...

I've definitely been out of quarters on a Sunday evening when I wanted to wash stuff. But yeah going to the bank and getting $40 in rolled coins sorted that.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

smg77 posted:

Here is a nice long read on how Silicon Valley is trying to disrupt the laundry industry.

Let's burn silicon valley to the ground.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dr_Amazing posted:

I've definitely been out of quarters on a Sunday evening when I wanted to wash stuff. But yeah going to the bank and getting $40 in rolled coins sorted that.

I rarely use cash because I hate change and I still probably have like $40 in quarters in a vase I'm using as a doorstop and god knows how many in my car. How do you run out of quarters unless you're an arcade junkie or something?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Harminoff posted:

I've never been to an apartment that had a change machine. Should just be able to use my debit card.

My apartment complex lets you pay with a card. And the machine will text you when it's done. :smug:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Fateo McMurray posted:

My apartment complex lets you pay with a card. And the machine will text you when it's done. :smug:

My last place had this too. It was a lot better.

Tullendar
Jan 25, 2014
Just caught this show and binge watched it. Really enjoyed it, hope they renew it, but don't rush into recasting Peter Gregory, but find someone who can play off kilter ie Stephen Root.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Tullendar posted:

Just caught this show and binge watched it. Really enjoyed it, hope they renew it, but don't rush into recasting Peter Gregory, but find someone who can play off kilter ie Stephen Root.

It's already renewed for season 2 at least.

• Locked thread