Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

So Math posted:

How do you bite an eyelid from behind?

How do you grab a tongue with a spear from behind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Very carefully.

kremlins
May 9, 2009

just a reminder if you're having trouble with the main site you can grab a copy of the new version on my mirror:

http://kremlin.cc/dfmirror

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Something from the DF Fortress Mode thread... Apparently, creatures can climb on ceilings, but most things can't climb smoothed walls. So just keep that in mind when you build your death-pits... Or don't, for the giggles.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hits to the head stun and knock out without the help of skull fractures now??? Goody!

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Wow, hippos are good eatin'.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Being overcome by horror trains Discipline skill. Now we know what that's for, I think.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

scamtank posted:

Being overcome by horror trains Discipline skill. Now we know what that's for, I think.

Now what we need to do is create some sort of automated room to train Discipline skill.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So we butcher all our animals by dropping them via chute into the dining room, which also trains the dwarves to not care.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lobsterpillar posted:

Now what we need to do is create some sort of automated room to train Discipline skill.

Breed animals. Build spikes in middle of dining hall, make large shaft above spikes. Regularly drop animals onto spikes.

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

Lobsterpillar posted:

Just throw a spare cat into your danger room from time to time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I just found a goblin hair crown on a goblin.

A goblin toupee.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

...it seems that all those strange metals and materials are connected to a set of procedurally generated entities. "Site guardian" comes up a lot. They don't seem demonic, but the [DIVINE] tags and languages don't suggest they're exactly terrestrial either.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

One of these things is not like the others ...

its IRONIC god
Dec 18, 2011

Oh Yeaaah!!

I'm starting to get the idea.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Z-Neth posted:

I'm starting to get the idea.

Let me tell you.

It is terrifying.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Thread title should probably be changed to reflect the new release

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I created an adventurer, entered an underground cavern and spat at a troglodyte. Later, I spread a rumour about the conflict that took place between me and a troglodyte. Bystanders were heard to remark that it was inevitable. Finally I shouted a greeting to any who would listen, crashing the game, and ending my adventure.

Mu. fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jul 8, 2014

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mygna posted:

One of these things is not like the others ...

It's Dwarf Fortress. That's what times of peace look like.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Here's a fun bug:

quote:

0006571: Large influx of babies from multiple civilizations
Description: I happened to check out my 'other' tab and I notice I have a rather large group of foreign babies somewhere in my embark. I cannot seem to jump to their location either.
http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6571

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I found a goblin camp. I snuck up and started chopping them to bits as they slept. I accidentally performed a colon removal when I slashed one's abdomen open, then slashed his guts which went flying.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Mu. posted:

I created an adventurer, entered an underground cavern and spat at a troglodyte. Later, I spread a rumour about the conflict that took place between me and a troglodyte. Bystanders where heard to remark that it was inevitable. Finally I shouted a greeting to any who would listen, crashing the game, and ending my adventure.

Next time you get a quest, try finding a group of people and screaming a request for directions/information/whereabouts related to the quest. Someone will politely respond and you'll have the option to carry out a conversation as normal, except you're just screaming the entire time. I love this loving release.

E: food is also a lot more convenient to acquire in adventure mode, now. Hit "g" on any herbs/bushes you come across until you find a cabbage. Cabbage leaves are edible (duh) and you can pick a shitton of them and have plenty of salad to sustain you in your journeys. Unfortunately you'll just lick other types of leaves.

Does anyone know how well fires spread to buildings and large trees? I set a bunch of fires around a huge tree and waited around, but nothing really came of it. I also tried to burn down a shop but ended up getting bored and striking up a conversation with an affable lizardperson warlord while she ran around hitting villagers with blowdarts. She seemed like a decent sort. Maybe I'll work for her.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 8, 2014

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

This is at the end of the list of corpse types in the refuse stockpile options :black101:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Mygna posted:

This is at the end of the list of corpse types in the refuse stockpile options :black101:

If you could read the creature descriptions, you'd see which god had moulded them into their personal servants.

We have a new type of titan in town.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So are Towers always necromancers? And do they invade fortresses?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Sorry, the events described here inspired me to do horrendous DF fan-art:

:geno:

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
Ordinary citizens are now so terrified of death and mindless slaughter (as they well should be) that they'll huddle in a corner while you murder their friend, butcher the corpse and then pelt them to death with chunks of his body.

"I cannot just stand by. This might require an answer." -- last known words of Girus Butteredcrafts, who just stood by.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mu. posted:

Ordinary citizens are now so terrified of death and mindless slaughter (as they well should be) that they'll huddle in a corner while you murder their friend, butcher the corpse and then pelt them to death with chunks of his body.

"I cannot just stand by. This might require an answer." -- last known words of Girus Butteredcrafts, who just stood by.

Holy poo poo.

Petition to change thread to Dwarf Fortress 2014: It is Terrifying

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
So non-weapon projectiles still do retarded amounts of damage? Good to know.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Mu. posted:

The fight would have ended in anothrt way if the spit would have hit you, fracturing your skull and tearing your brain apart.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I have to say, it is fun doing a periodic refresh on Mantis, Toady obviously got to work 1:20 mins ago and has already fixed 10 bugs. including the talking to deity crash.

My adventurer will no longer have a world destroying moment when speaking to his/her god!

Shame there are 1970 outstanding ones!

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Not now! Apparently skulls are no longer made out of tissue paper and has been upgraded to cardboard!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
In answer to someone's question some ten pages back: traditionally, after a new major release, bug fix releases arrive weekly or better until Toady gets bored of bug fixing and moves on to the next major release. This usually takes a couple months. So expect a lot of new versions really quickly for the next few months.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

I found out the new verison had been released this morning, so I downloaded it and started to generate my first world. I decided to leave for a while and come back when I was finished. Exploring the world map, I noticed a distinct lack of necromancer towers ... or at least, until I found this place:

:stonk:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah, worldgen has a total tower boner right now. No idea why.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Grey Hunter posted:

I have to say, it is fun doing a periodic refresh on Mantis, Toady obviously got to work 1:20 mins ago and has already fixed 10 bugs. including the talking to deity crash.

I think those are just flagged to be duplicates by Footkerchief and Knight Otu.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

scamtank posted:

Yeah, worldgen has a total tower boner right now. No idea why.

The thing that gets me is the density of towers in this place compared to other regions, and by that I mean there is literally only one other tower in the world. And this isn't a small world either, its a large one. Is extreme tower density a thing as well in the new version?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Kennel posted:

I think those are just flagged to be duplicates by Footkerchief and Knight Otu.

yeah, that would make sense....

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So has anyone tried walking site-to-site underground yet? Pretty sure that was supposed to be a thing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Bad Munki posted:

So has anyone tried walking site-to-site underground yet? Pretty sure that was supposed to be a thing now.

My first adventurer mode character is going to be a dwarf to check out the new sites, so I'll do a bit of travelling and get back to you on that.