Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Really? Which shopkeeper/rumor monger was he?

He is the guy who hit Anna Yoshizaka with a car. In the second game he's murdered by Joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ImpAtom posted:

He is the guy who hit Anna Yoshizaka with a car. In the second game he's murdered by Joker.

Hahaha, wow, that's hilarious. I already knew about Soejima and Kaneko and Satomi Tadashi, but I wonder how many more characters in those games are based on the Dev team.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I should really play Catherine at some point but I remember being hugely disappointed at the reveal that it was a puzzle game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I should really play Catherine at some point but I remember being hugely disappointed at the reveal that it was a puzzle game.

It's actually a really good puzzle game. It's fast-paced, fun and interesting and has a surprising amount of flexibility that allows you to adjust for mistakes or go about things in different ways. I had a lot more fun with it than a lot of other dedicated puzzle games in recent memory. I was so pissed off at the final level being glitched though.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hahaha, wow, that's hilarious. I already knew about Soejima and Kaneko and Satomi Tadashi, but I wonder how many more characters in those games are based on the Dev team.

The ones I remember off the top of my head are the radio host guy from the Muses interview and the woman from the ramen shop are based on people who worked there. I think the guy from the computer cafe was also someone?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
How can I die less in Nocturne? This poo poo is really hard

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

El Hefe posted:

How can I die less in Nocturne? This poo poo is really hard

Where are you

Change your Magatama

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I'm just barely starting, I'm in Ginza trying to enter the council of nihilo, I have two magatama but I've only used the first one.

Btw is there a compendium like in the persona games?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Here's my adivce

Keep Charge as a skill for the main character no matter what

Focus on magic for the first 50-75% of the game, with a strong physical skill to go with Charge. Afterwards, build around Phys moves with Pierce + an almighty spell + whatever else you want

Uses your monsters to fill the gaps the Hero can't cover

I guess that's pretty broad advice. If you're playing on Hard its only actually harder for like the first 25% of the game. Afterwards its just a war of attrition really.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

El Hefe posted:

I'm just barely starting, I'm in Ginza trying to enter the council of nihilo, I have two magatama but I've only used the first one.

Btw is there a compendium like in the persona games?

I think there's a new Magatama to purchase at whatever the nearest store is. Otherwise, you may want to do a little grinding. The compendium shows up after a certain point, you can't miss it. For now just do whatever NPCs tell you, you ultimately wanna go to Nyx's Lounge and talk to her.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

It's actually a really good puzzle game. It's fast-paced, fun and interesting and has a surprising amount of flexibility that allows you to adjust for mistakes or go about things in different ways. I had a lot more fun with it than a lot of other dedicated puzzle games in recent memory. I was so pissed off at the final level being glitched though.

What's the glitch?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

The_Frag_Man posted:

What's the glitch?

The level algorithm fucks up and gives you an unbeatable level. Only way around it by playing it on two player mode.

This is not the final level of the main game, but of the... Extra mode.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

P4A is pretty fun to play, and there are some pretty great moments in the numerous story modes, but playing solely for the plot is a bad idea. What really irks me the most is Elizabeth fighting to save Minato, since Minato getting revived would negate P3's ending. Anyway, everything you need to know about P4A can be summed up in a sentence: There is some bad dude known as the Malevolent Entity, (who might be Nyarlanthotep,) who throws Labrys in the TV so he can bring Persona users together, and then try to unleash their shadows so he can make a shadow army.

I thought it was pretty clear that that was supposed to be Sho from Ultimax.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Here's my adivce

Keep Charge as a skill for the main character no matter what

Focus on magic for the first 50-75% of the game, with a strong physical skill to go with Charge. Afterwards, build around Phys moves with Pierce + an almighty spell + whatever else you want

Uses your monsters to fill the gaps the Hero can't cover

I guess that's pretty broad advice. If you're playing on Hard its only actually harder for like the first 25% of the game. Afterwards its just a war of attrition really.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I think there's a new Magatama to purchase at whatever the nearest store is. Otherwise, you may want to do a little grinding. The compendium shows up after a certain point, you can't miss it. For now just do whatever NPCs tell you, you ultimately wanna go to Nyx's Lounge and talk to her.

I just got to the manikins after almost dying and there's a shop selling 3 magatamas, which one has the charge skill? I don't have macca to buy them all.

It says ankh, hifumi and kamudo.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

El Hefe posted:

I just got to the manikins after almost dying and there's a shop selling 3 magatamas, which one has the charge skill? I don't have macca to buy them all.

It says ankh, hifumi and kamudo.

Iirc, Charge comes from the default magatama, but you'll definitely want to buy the wind-resistant magatama for now.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Does the wind resistant one have the Tornado?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SelenicMartian posted:

Does the wind resistant one have the Tornado?

Yup.

e: Turns out I was wrong about Charge. It's called Focus for one thing, and it's on Kamudo.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

I thought it was pretty clear that that was supposed to be Sho from Ultimax.

It's not, Sho can't do the things the ME can and he actually houses the ME inside his body. It's possible Sho is the person who hacked Lab's body at the end of the Investigation Team's stories, but otherwise everything else was the ME.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was under the impression that he had a split personality. I guess the MacGuffin Plume of Dusk in his body can be whatever it needs to be, though.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TurnipFritter posted:

The ones I remember off the top of my head are the radio host guy from the Muses interview and the woman from the ramen shop are based on people who worked there. I think the guy from the computer cafe was also someone?

Tasaki Toshiko who is one of Atlus's music composers was the clerk at the Seedy CD record store.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

The_Frag_Man posted:

What's the glitch?

The final level of the extra Babel mode, Axis Mundi, does a very daft thing in the North American and European versions where a few seconds after starting, it immediately jumps to Level 2 but then begins dumping what would be Level 10/11 block configurations (as per the Japanese version) onto a Level 1 base. This results in most of the blocks falling off into the void and it being virtually impossible to climb up and beat the stage. Also, one of the quirks of Babel is that the longer you spend on a given Level, the faster the stage falls out from under you. Solo Axis Mundi gets stuck on Level 2 straight away so eventually it starts falling so fast that even if the stage wasn't unwinnable, you wouldn't be able to keep up anyway. The stage works in Co-Op for some reason though.

i still find it strangely compelling to try and beat my scores on this broken level anyway

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 7, 2014

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Man, I am now starting day 5 of Devil Survivor Overclocked. They are really good at transitioning both the characters and the player from "oh cool I'm a summoner now I got all these powers I'm going to save the day" to "keep your head down and with luck we might just make it through the next hour". I also like how on Day 4 as things continue to degrade in the Zone you basically transition from fighting monsters to fighting panic and hatred. Now two of my erstwhile allies have gone psycho and are going to kill each other at high noon unless I fix it, which I'm not sure I want to!

This is a good video game.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Devil Survivor Overclocked was my introduction to the SMT franchise and I got in deep. I put around 70 hours into one play through, and I never do that with games.

I really want to play DS2 but I'm holding out hope for Break Record still getting a thing. A fool's errand.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Speaking of DeSu:O, is it actually possible to save both Keisuke and Kaido?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrightWing posted:

Speaking of DeSu:O, is it actually possible to save both Keisuke and Kaido?

Yes. You have to rescue Mari before their confrontation and visit at the proper time.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
You just give that stuff to Kaido instead of Mari, and he'll be too distracted giving it back to her to fight with Keisuke.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
IIRC, the only person who it's not possible to save/impress (sorta) is Honda, who always lives, but also will go full-on crazy and hate you forever unless you help him break the lockdown on day 6.

I really like the endings in DeSu 1. You've got the standard Law/Chaos endings but three separate choices for Neutral, one of which is transparently terrible and has appropriate consequences.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

So does (Devil Survivor day 5 spoilers) fighting Keisuke lock me out of any of the endings but his Day 8? Because on the one hand I want an ending whereby I defeat the Bels and generally save all the innocent citizens, but on the other hand I also kinda want to kick Keisuke's teeth down his throat for becoming a lunatic Punisher for no reason instead of actually working to help Midori like we were. I hope those two ideas aren't mutually exclusive. I think I'll just plow ahead and try to do both and inevitably fail.

This is definitely a replayable game. Next time, other choices plus crazy overpowered NG+ demons!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If it's the battle I'm thinking of, you lose the battle if that character dies even though you are fighting them. You can only win by defeating all of the demons.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Ah. That's both super lame and understandable. Hopefully he will at least stop being the biggest dummy.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

Ah. That's both super lame and understandable. Hopefully he will at least stop being the biggest dummy.

He manages to pull his head out of his rear end if you defeat all his demons, fortunately.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

projecthalaxy posted:

You also get the option of kicking him out of the party and by extension basically the plot after winning, too. :v:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Speedball posted:

He manages to pull his head out of his rear end if you defeat all his demons, fortunately.

That's good. Though I will admit one good thing came of him suddenly going ape. Having the mission parameters change from -Save Midori from the rioters to -Save Midori and the rioters from Psycho Keisuke and Demon King Enma was one of the most effective blindsiding twists I can remember in this sort of game.

E:

Strange Quark posted:

You also get the option of kicking him out of the party and by extension basically the plot after winning, too. :v:

Yay! That is happening with a quickness. YA DONE BURNED ALL YOUR BRIDGES, KID.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 8, 2014

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

When I first played that day, I didn't manage to keep Keisuke and Kaido from clashing and seeing Keisuke getting roasted alive by Kaido's demon was pretty shocking. You'll never see that in a Pokemon game!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Strange Quark posted:

I know that if he dies in the plot you are locked out of a couple of endings, but does that happen when you do this? When I played DS1 I generally went with a strategy of trying to recruit as many people as possible to ensure I could always get as many endings.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

I know that if he dies in the plot you are locked out of a couple of endings, but does that happen when you do this? When I played DS1 I generally went with a strategy of trying to recruit as many people as possible to ensure I could always get as many endings.

Iirc, the only route that gets locked out if he dies is Atsuro's, and you can still get that ending with him out.

He does get a few scenes in whatever ending you choose like any other named NPC not in your party. I haven't played the other 8th day routes, but at least in Naoya's in Overclocked, he doesn't show up at all even though literally every other character does. I guess the game essentially flags him as dead then, though I haven't gotten to the 8th day stuff with him in my party before then.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Keisuke rules, actually, and is one of the few characters actively going out of his way to Do The Right Thing.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

More accurately, he's bad, and a shining example of the fact that all nerds will inevitably become Turbohitler given even a small scrap of power.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

projecthalaxy posted:

More accurately, he's bad, and a shining example of the fact that all nerds will inevitably become Turbohitler given even a small scrap of power.

Well yes, but given that 90% of games basically have you committing mass murder who can be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

He's also a dumb teenager and will ultimately see the error of his ways.

Plenty of those never do that.