Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Any recommendations for a small bass amp for practice? The gf has a 5-string Peavey and we've been using my Pro Jr. and Ampeg Jet for small practice/lesson sessions, and I'd obviously rather her have an actual bass amp. Something small but capable. In a perfect world, I wouldn't go below a 15" combo, but footprint is also a concern, and at the end of the day, she's just practicing at home.

Thoughts? Also considering putting some bux into some decent speakers and going the software route on her macbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hi amp thread, I finally got a tube thing:

YCV40, Celestion Seventy80, sounds great, was waaaaaay too good a deal to pass up.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

spider wisdom posted:

Any recommendations for a small bass amp for practice? The gf has a 5-string Peavey and we've been using my Pro Jr. and Ampeg Jet for small practice/lesson sessions, and I'd obviously rather her have an actual bass amp. Something small but capable. In a perfect world, I wouldn't go below a 15" combo, but footprint is also a concern, and at the end of the day, she's just practicing at home.

Thoughts? Also considering putting some bux into some decent speakers and going the software route on her macbook.

Craigslist mandates that every city/region has at least one Crate BX80/100 or Peavy TNT for under $100, or an Acoustic B100 for another $25. Just give in to the big footprint (although still notably smaller than any halfstack). Bring a handtruck/furniture dolly.

There are good medium-cheap 210 combos that will take up less space (the Fender, Hartke, and GK versions are alright in my experience, but they aren't my bag), but they generally cost more than these old, loud shitkicker 15s. Balance these options relative to your space and budget.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I've been gasing for a traynor head just haven't found "the one" yet.

I am looking for something to pair with my ampeg v4 any suggestions would be rad too, nothing Marshall or peavey please, local scene is flooded with them and kind of definitely want a tonal difference.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I am looking for something to pair with my ampeg v4 any suggestions would be rad too, nothing Marshall or peavey please, local scene is flooded with them and kind of definitely want a tonal difference.

Are you in Canada? If yes, keep an eye out for old Garnet tube heads. I have a 50W Pro 200 Super and it is the yin to my Ampeg yang.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Handen posted:

Are you in Canada? If yes, keep an eye out for old Garnet tube heads. I have a 50W Pro 200 Super and it is the yin to my Ampeg yang.

ugh no. I am going to keep an eye out now. an research.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Schpyder posted:

Hi amp thread, I finally got a tube thing:

YCV40, Celestion Seventy80, sounds great, was waaaaaay too good a deal to pass up.

I'm about to pick up a YCV80 they are outstanding :h::h::h:

Although I will probably swap out the Seventy80s for WGS Vet 30s and put in KT66s but what can I say I like my mids

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Out of curiosity, does anyone have any experience/thoughts on the Blackstar Core ID amps, specifically the CORE20?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I'm getting a high pitched whistle on my YCV80 whenever I dime the gain and volume on the pre while turning the boost on, and the whistle changes pitch when I change pickups. Any clue what would cause that? I was thinking maybe a microphonic preamp tube.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

unlawfulsoup posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any experience/thoughts on the Blackstar Core ID amps, specifically the CORE20?

I have the CORE10 as my little practice amp until I'm ready to get a real one and so far it's been exactly what I wanted, a little amp with some effects I can dick around with so I get a much better idea of what I ultimately want and don't make a major purchase blind. Really though, trying them out in the store it was a choice between the CORE series, the valvetronix series, and the THR5. I went with the CORE since it was the cheapest while still giving me almost all of the similar options sound wise that the other amps did.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 26, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Declan MacManus posted:

I'm getting a high pitched whistle on my YCV80 whenever I dime the gain and volume on the pre while turning the boost on, and the whistle changes pitch when I change pickups. Any clue what would cause that? I was thinking maybe a microphonic preamp tube.

if it's the preamp tube it'd make noises if you tap it while it's on/noisey

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Declan MacManus posted:

You could try swapping the preamp tubes, the V1 location should be the significantly more sensitive of the two to a microphonic tube.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Welp...

Together with what gets played through it.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh good, you got the 2x12 model instead of the 2x10, now I don't have to try and stab you with anything duller than this spoon I've got here...

Though in all seriousness, I imagine that this is seriously, seriously, nice. The 2x10 model is on my wishlist of gear (not for any particular reason other than 'I like 10's more than 12's'), though I don't really need anything like it...

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Somebody buy Buzz Osborne's old Linden NJ Ampeg V3.

e: derp

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 27, 2014

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Let me guess, it weighs about 85 pounds?

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Bread Dragon posted:

Craigslist mandates that every city/region has at least one Crate BX80/100 or Peavy TNT for under $100, or an Acoustic B100 for another $25. Just give in to the big footprint (although still notably smaller than any halfstack). Bring a handtruck/furniture dolly.

There are good medium-cheap 210 combos that will take up less space (the Fender, Hartke, and GK versions are alright in my experience, but they aren't my bag), but they generally cost more than these old, loud shitkicker 15s. Balance these options relative to your space and budget.

Yeah, I'm thinking loud shitkicker Crate / Peavey is probs the way to go, and I'll just have to eat the footprint. Thanks!

Also that Traynor combo's little brother (40) was my first tube amp. It has no right to sound as good as it does.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

A Winner is Jew posted:

I have the CORE10 as my little practice amp until I'm ready to get a real one and so far it's been exactly what I wanted, a little amp with some effects I can dick around with so I get a much better idea of what I ultimately want and don't make a major purchase blind. Really though, trying them out in the store it was a choice between the CORE series, the valvetronix series, and the THR5. I went with the CORE since it was the cheapest while still giving me almost all of the similar options sound wise that the other amps did.

Yeah, that is about what I was expecting. Thanks, I am probably just going to save for something like a Super Champ 2.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
This is what my VT22's leaky/exploded cap cans looked like beneath their cardboard insulation tubes prior to being replaced.

They could have been like that for 20 years for all I know.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
The Mesa Boogie Transatlantic TA30 Combo has smitten me. loving beautiful clean and just enough balls to pull off punk power chords. Is there another giggable amp that can get that AC30 style clean while being able to get near metal distortion? Besides the mark five ha.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
I figured this would be the best place to ask this question.

I bought a Peavey Classic 30 used about 5 years ago. I haven't used it much mainly because its a very loud amp and I live in an apartment. So I have to keep the sound low and I would be a bit embarrassed about my playing anyway.

However, I have been using it from time to time recently and noticed that when I make adjustments on just about all of the knobs except reverb, I will get large jumps and losses in volume, which makes dialing in the right volume for home use kind of hard. Additionally, there is some slight hum that hear through the amp. The loudness doesn't seem to be effected by any of the dials on the amp, or if I am using a humbucker or single coil.

I know very little about maintaining tube amps, and I haven't really done much to it since I first owned it. When I bought it, the guy was honest and told me that the overdrive channel didn't work but he took it to a tech and said all it needed was to replace two of the tubes (don't even remember which ones anymore), and he gave me the tube types and which slots they go in. I replace the tubes and it seemed to work fine, but the overdrive channel is even louder so I basically never used it. I have a pedal and a cheaper modeler that I can plug in if I want effects through it, so didn't care much. I should note that when I got the tubes I didn't even know biasing was a thing. Doing some quick research, un-modded Classic 30's can only be biased by replacing a resistor, and many people say that they don't really need to be biased because the amp doesn't really drive tubes that much.

Does this sound like something simple like getting some electronic cleaning solution and cleaning of the tube contacts? More expensive but still simple like getting a retube kit from Eurotube? Or does this sound like something more involved that would require a tech?

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 9, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Sounds like a simple grounding hum. Could be the amp but chances are it's the building. Try bringing to a friends house and see if it persists. But, to be honest, if it doesn't get loud when you get loud- it's a non issue.

I would just take some contact cleaner and spray down the pots. Spray and turn them all the way back and forth. That should be okay.

the tubes are more simple to diagnose usually just turn it on and tap on each one lightly, if it makes noise then might be an issue.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Sounds like a simple grounding hum. Could be the amp but chances are it's the building. Try bringing to a friends house and see if it persists. But, to be honest, if it doesn't get loud when you get loud- it's a non issue.

I would just take some contact cleaner and spray down the pots. Spray and turn them all the way back and forth. That should be okay.

the tubes are more simple to diagnose usually just turn it on and tap on each one lightly, if it makes noise then might be an issue.

I only had a few minutes to look at it last night, but I tapped each of the tubes and nothing seemed to happen. So at least the tubes are fine. I noticed that turning the dials on all the dials except the reverb and mid dial caused some crackling. Reverb when it is turned up causes a different hum than the hum I mentioned before, but both are honestly pretty mild, so not a real concern. I did notice that I can sculpt my hum TONEZ by adjusting the EQ, which I got a chuckle out of.

I would imagine it just needs some contact cleaner. Gonna try and do that over the weekend if I get a chance.

Thanks for the help.

Double Bass
Feb 20, 2011
x-post from the gear thread:

I sold my Valveking VK-100, a crappy B-52 head, 2 combo amps and 2 4x12 cabs to build this rig.

No regrets.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
8/10

Put tape over the EVH and it's a solid dime.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Is a Bugera V22 poo poo? I have to send my ID15 back and have the option to just return and get something else (through sweetwater).

I really don't want to go back to the ID, it was a little too much in terms of effects. Most of the time I just put it on clean and ran it through my OCD.

Now I'm stuck between a SS modeling amp or a cheaper tube. I don't want to spend more than $450-$500. I don't gig, and couldn't care less about the neighbors.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

OhDearGodNo posted:

Is a Bugera V22 poo poo?
I don't know about that specific amp, but I've played through a number of Bugera amps and, while they generally sound pretty good (the 333 XL is actually a good amp) their reliability is for poo poo.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

OhDearGodNo posted:

Is a Bugera V22 poo poo? I have to send my ID15 back and have the option to just return and get something else (through sweetwater).

I really don't want to go back to the ID, it was a little too much in terms of effects. Most of the time I just put it on clean and ran it through my OCD.

Now I'm stuck between a SS modeling amp or a cheaper tube. I don't want to spend more than $450-$500. I don't gig, and couldn't care less about the neighbors.

Get a used Peavey Classic 30 if you mostly play clean with a few effects.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets

comes along bort posted:

How much? ( if he's not interested )

I'd also trade you like half my possessions for it

E: my possessions include a 15 watt carvin v16 that was too dirty for my tastes. It has a good clean but I had to crank it all of the way up to match my jam buddies, goodbye cleans.

I also have a twosome fuzz that I outgrew. I'm finding more and more that I am in fact a clean player.

philkop fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 10, 2014

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

comes along bort posted:

It was to be an exchange from sweetwater, but maybe I might just return the thing.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 10, 2014

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Fwiw I bought a bugera 3 years ago and sold it to a bud. (6262 infinium) other than changing the tubes I have not done anything to it.

it has been on about 7 tours and countless shows. maybe just found a reliable one? and it certainly has no been babied and sounds just as good as a friends 6505. (and a better clean)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I'd consider him pretty lucky.
Apparently they're better than they were, and honestly, for MOST people they're probably fine (and I'm not being condescending of bedroom guys, music is music regardless of where it's made), but i've got too many friends with too many of those things lying in corners to trust them at all at this point.

Granted, a lot of the issues seem to be relatively simple to fix, but that depends on the user.

Incdentally, I got another 33xl in trade today, if anyone's interested. I'll let it go pretty cheap. It's in great condition with the footswitch. Probably around $450 shipped w/insurance and all.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Thought I killed my Fender Superchamp today. Just switched channels with the footswitch, and all of a sudden I get a loud static/white noise type sound out of it. Lowering and raising the volume made it lower or raise its volume too, and even switching back to the modeling channel, it's still going. Even switching through the different models, it still persisted (although gets a different tone of static from each one) so I switched it off before I did any more damage.

Half an hour later or so, and I turn it on again to check something, and nothing. No noisy static, it works like a charm again and everything's fine. Any idea what could've caused this? Is it a bad sign for the future, meaning it's likely on it's last legs and it's going to die, or is it possible it's just a one off little glitch?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

nrr posted:

Thought I killed my Fender Superchamp today. Just switched channels with the footswitch, and all of a sudden I get a loud static/white noise type sound out of it. Lowering and raising the volume made it lower or raise its volume too, and even switching back to the modeling channel, it's still going. Even switching through the different models, it still persisted (although gets a different tone of static from each one) so I switched it off before I did any more damage.

Half an hour later or so, and I turn it on again to check something, and nothing. No noisy static, it works like a charm again and everything's fine. Any idea what could've caused this? Is it a bad sign for the future, meaning it's likely on it's last legs and it's going to die, or is it possible it's just a one off little glitch?

those have tubes right? sounds like a preamp tube going bad. or could be power tube! turn it on and tap!

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

gdamn there's some sexy amps in this thread.

personally using an acoustic 450 + 406 cab for guitar/bass, 118 combo and 136 combo for bass, and a cheap Granada (Garnet clone) for recording guitar.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I am about to pull the trigger on a Red Mustang III v.2 amp. I have played it them at Guitarcenter and was pretty enamored with the modeling abilities. I did a lot of soul searching about whether to go for a super champ x2, but figured 'gently caress it' I am not a purist anyway, not that the champ is really a purist amp but it has tubes. Someone change my mind, or confirm that the Mustang III is worth it.

Also red is pretty swank looking. :D

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 12, 2014

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I'm waiting on my Mustang III right now. I chose it over the HT-1 simply for the modeling, EQ (ISF is NOT EQ, Blackstar) and the sounds it can reproduce. I put it over Blackstar's TVP.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

I am about to pull the trigger on a Red Mustang III v.2 amp. I have played it them at Guitarcenter and was pretty enamored with the modeling abilities. I did a lot of soul searching about whether to go for a super champ x2, but figured 'gently caress it' I am not a purist anyway, not that the champ is really a purist amp but it has tubes. Someone change my mind, or confirm that the Mustang III is worth it.

Also red is pretty swank looking. :D

I got that exact amp and I love it. The youtube channel "intheblues" has blind comparisons between the models and the real deals, which is basically impossible to find.

You might wanna pick up the 4-button footswitch too, you can do some nice things with it. I got the expression pedal for it but I haven't got much value out of that.

If anything, it's a hell of a value for the money.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
You guys seem to be backing up the good stuff I have been hearing everyplace else. Was watching the intheblues guys CV50 video a few days ago, so I will definitely check out his mustang III ones.

Also, I figure I would get the four button switch at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Is there a decent Bass modelling amp other than the Vypyr VIP series? Mainly looking for something bedroom sized that would ideally double up with my current Zoom G5 and Kustom 10 Watt amp so I can plug my Bass VI into it, process the high end and use the XLR out to send a clean tone to something a bit beefier for the low end. Tempted by the VIP2 to get some nice instrument modelling features although it seems you need to pay an extra £85 for the Sanpera pedal to use everything?