Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

signalnoise posted:

Sticking with my Minitaire-oriented posting lately, this paint may have some weird properties, there are some absolutely perfect colors in that line if you're into hazard stripes and danger signs.

I dunno maybe I'm just easily impressed but my Torgue-themed orks are loving this.

Torgue themed orcs.

Why the gently caress did I not think of that. Brilliant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Doctor Zero posted:

Torgue themed orcs.

Why the gently caress did I not think of that. Brilliant!

Yeah I didn't think of it either. I was just talking to my buddy who doesn't paint or anything about my inability to pick a theme and he's like "EXPLOSIONS???"

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Pacheeco posted:

If the paint is actually "airbrush thin": I keep an old toothbrush at my painting station and I'll just quickly scrub the nozzle end real quick after spraying for a while. It's not perfect but it will break away any substantial paint build-up and even with my Sotar I haven't had any problems with the toothbrush accidentally bending the needle tip.

Otherwise invest in some Regdab lubricant and thin your paints down some more.
My brush came with some lubricant, but I've never used it. How does it work and how should I apply it?

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

MasterSlowPoke posted:

My brush came with some lubricant, but I've never used it. How does it work and how should I apply it?

I can't speak for anything except Regdab (which is Badger's airbrush lubricant that also helps with "tip-dry"/nozzle clogging) but when I need to restore my airbrushes after a deep clean I put a drop on every screw thread and a drop in the trigger housing. Then I wipe the entire needle down with some lubricant as well; not a ton, just enough to get it moving easily. Make sure to blow out any excess lubricant before you start painting. Paint doesn't stick as well to a needle covered in oil as it does to a "dry" needle. It isn't a 100% cure for nozzle clogging and tip-dry but it helps quite bit. The main problem is if you use Windex to flush out the paint cup it will strip the lubricant off the needle pretty fast. Luckily Regdab is thin enough that you can actually put a few drops in the cup and shoot it out like paint to re-lube the needle on the fly.

The feel and action between a well oiled airbrush and a "dry" airbrush is very noticeable. If you've been using your brush regularly for a while I highly suggest breaking it down, cleaning it and re-lubricating it. This is when having a cheap ultrasonic cleaner really comes in handy.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 8, 2014

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
lovely after-midnight posting with bad cellphone photo as my Crimson Fists librarian just finished dullcote curing. I'll be adding an ossuary with bones from a Grey Knights sprue in case I wanted to run the Sentinels of Terra supplement for the extra psyker level.

I'm not sure where the planetary bit came from on his backpack. It was on a converted model that I picked up in a craigslist lot. I thought it would go well with a librarian. This is also my second attempt at basing using corkboard, sand, small rock and static grass. I mostly was looking to create something dynamic, not eye-catching and covered up the slit for the stand. I used Nikleah Oxide on the axe and plasma pistol, which really doesn't come out well in the light I had.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What do I do if I've thinned my paints too hard? I'm a bit disheartened! :(

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Add a tiny drop of paint?

Your paint should be thin enough that you shouldn't see any brush-strokes in the paint when you brush it on, but it should be thick enough that it provides uniform color over the surface you're working on. The amount you need to thin stuff will vary depending on the brand & color you're using, your style, what you're painting, etc., so just trial and error.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Nooo, I thinned the paint pot too much.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Shadeoses posted:

Not a perfect solution but put some on the palette and let it dry out a little before you plan on using it. To sort the pot out though? Like KG said, add more paint.. buy another pot of the same paint and learn to not thin your paints in the pot for exactly this reason :v:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
But it seemed like such a convenient thing to do.

(I will continue ruining things in the future)

Skellybones fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 8, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You probably have a really good mix for wet blending now so I don't see what the problem is. Just apply more basecoat layers. Alternatively use a darker color for the basecoat and start blending with the thin paint as a highlight.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

If you feel the need to do this my trick was to just get dropper bottles that you can mix batches in. They're not expensive or anything.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Paint question.

Is there a best reference for color compatibility between brands? I also want to be able to color reference pixels from a reference image if possible.

Also I just switched my 0.2mm needle to a 0.3mm needle and it seems to have a lot more push to it with the same psi. Am I a crazy person, or would this affect things drastically. What size needle to you guys use with an airbrush?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Shadeoses posted:

But it seemed like such a convenient thing to do.

(I will continue ruining things in the future)

Consider your paint pot a pristine source. I would imagine thinning it at all could cause some major drying issues and kill its shelf life quite a bit.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

w00tmonger posted:

Paint question.

Is there a best reference for color compatibility between brands? I also want to be able to color reference pixels from a reference image if possible.

Also I just switched my 0.2mm needle to a 0.3mm needle and it seems to have a lot more push to it with the same psi. Am I a crazy person, or would this affect things drastically. What size needle to you guys use with an airbrush?

It's got more airflow because there is a smaller needle in there. More air and paint can move around that needle through the nozzle. If you don't like it, decrease the airflow by either turning down your compressor a smidge or not putting so much pressure on the trigger.

Needle size is usually a function of personal preference and what you need to do. A finer needle will give you finer lines, and vice-versa, but you can also get fine lines out of a thicker needle if you are able to control your brush.

As a side note, I came across this guy who has a wealth of airbrush information, including reviews of drat near every airbrush you can think of, including the Harbor Freight models!

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Got my Circle battlebox mostly done now!
Don't mind some of the crappy quality photos, benign hand tremors are a pain when trying to get snapshots of my models.

Also, a ton of Cygnar stuff all done, not bad for about a month and a half's work.

drat it feels good to play with only painted models.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

HiveCommander posted:

Got my Circle battlebox mostly done now!
Don't mind some of the crappy quality photos, benign hand tremors are a pain when trying to get snapshots of my models.

Also, a ton of Cygnar stuff all done, not bad for about a month and a half's work.

drat it feels good to play with only painted models.

Base yo' poo poo.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

Base yo' poo poo.

The torture never stops

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Pacheeco posted:

If the paint is actually "airbrush thin": I keep an old toothbrush at my painting station and I'll just quickly scrub the nozzle end real quick after spraying for a while. It's not perfect but it will break away any substantial paint build-up and even with my Sotar I haven't had any problems with the toothbrush accidentally bending the needle tip.

Otherwise invest in some Regdab lubricant and thin your paints down some more.

This sounds about right to me, you can also put in some drying retardant in your paint mix, Badger makes some for their Minitaire line, a drop is all that is needed. Also, NEVER put anything inside your airbrush nozzle, don't ever use piper cleaners to clean your airbrush, you will ruin it that way.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
How do you clean out your nozzle then?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Just pee right afterwards.

I mean wait....

Air and water.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I use an airbrush cleaner, back flush and then spray till its fine again.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Shadeoses posted:

If you have any matte medium, you can put it into the pot to thicken up the consistency. Your paint will be slightly more transparent when it drys, but it's a good alternative to having really runny paint that gets everywhere.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Does anyone else test paintjob ideas in photoshop or whatever before actually painting? I did this and I feel iffy about the white. I know I know white is hard to paint well. I just dunno what color to use for my Deadzone not-orks for their clothing.

This is what I'm aiming for:

This is what I'm doing, roughly, I mean there's going to be highlighting and shading and wot not:

Somehow the white still feels wrong. It's not even white white. It's "skull" white. Maybe I need to paint the trim on the jacket a different color? I dunno

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I am really weird and do a color analysis to determine my color palette, then tweak it so the colors are complemntary. That builds my particular color theme:

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 8, 2014

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

koreban posted:

lovely after-midnight posting with bad cellphone photo as my Crimson Fists librarian just finished dullcote curing. I'll be adding an ossuary with bones from a Grey Knights sprue in case I wanted to run the Sentinels of Terra supplement for the extra psyker level.

I'm not sure where the planetary bit came from on his backpack. It was on a converted model that I picked up in a craigslist lot. I thought it would go well with a librarian. This is also my second attempt at basing using corkboard, sand, small rock and static grass. I mostly was looking to create something dynamic, not eye-catching and covered up the slit for the stand. I used Nikleah Oxide on the axe and plasma pistol, which really doesn't come out well in the light I had.

Your stuff looks good, I had to step in and just...fix...

there we go :)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Maybe black and purple is the answer?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Those colors are clashing with each other and would look like a rave if you painted them up- probably not what you are going for. Try playing around with Kolor: https://kuler.adobe.com/

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

That's where I got it :(

https://kuler.adobe.com/create/colo...Order=0,1,2,3,4

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I recommend using one of the color rules and sticking to it, mostly, tweaking the shade a little bit if you need

e: vvvv I'm not sure that's how analogues work...

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 8, 2014

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

OK So I just hit Analagous and put this together

I could get that color blue out of ghost tint plasma fluid and put it on some of the shooty parts?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

How do other pet-goons deal with cat hair while painting?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Signal posted:

Shave the cat.

Nah, seriously, I just keep an eye out to make sure there's no cat hair on the brush or the model, or in the palette. Occasionally I have to pick a hair out, but it's never been a huge problem for me.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Signal posted:

By not having a cat.

However, dog hair gets everywhere. Basically just try and keep her interests outside of the paining area (except for when she sleeps on my feet while I work). Past that just regular pet brushing and vacuuming the house to minimize the amount of stuff in the air / on surfaces.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Signal posted:

I've got one of these (actually, the larger cylindrical version) and it does a great job of pulling pet dander out of the air. It's not a 100% fix, but it helps keep it down at least.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

OK look it was worth a shot :colbert:

I think I like it?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

signalnoise posted:

I think I like it?

I dig it! I dig it a lot!

But then, I'm a huge fan of purple. :p

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

signalnoise posted:

I think I like it?

I'd really recommend limiting your color palette a lot more. You're currently all over the color wheel, which makes your model look kinda scattered. Maybe try something a bit more like this:

But with the checks or hazard striping on the yellow?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

treeboy posted:

Your stuff looks good, I had to step in and just...fix...

there we go :)

You're a peach :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Signal posted:

I'd really recommend limiting your color palette a lot more. You're currently all over the color wheel, which makes your model look kinda scattered. Maybe try something a bit more like this:

But with the checks or hazard striping on the yellow?

I think I just need to change the purple to something more neutral but not white. Maybe just say gently caress it and paint it black.

I mean another factor is I'm intentionally cribbing from loving Borderlands

• Locked thread