Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
That kreplach/knish thing was kinda suspicious to me, they're 1000% different, and basically any hungry Jew had to know knish is what they were referring to. If I wasn't so hungry for either one of them myself, I'd be angrier about that reversal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

zakharov posted:

RRRRRRRGH how was Secret Service a triple stumper?? There's only one agency that deals with counterfeiting and protection!

That's the easiest Triple Stumper in recent memory, by far.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zakharov posted:

RRRRRRRGH how was Secret Service a triple stumper?? There's only one agency that deals with counterfeiting and protection!

Is it so surprising that everyone went for the one with "financial protection" right there in its name?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

zakharov posted:

No one saw To Live and Die in L.A.?

Most people think Secret Service = Presidental Bodyguards only, not counterfeiting

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Argh! Bet to win, lady, you could have tied!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
JBoard is melting down about her wager lmao

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

zakharov posted:

JBoard is melting down about her wager lmao

It was moronic and she deserved to lose because of it!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

The guy who does The Final Wager had a pretty, pretty good video for Tuesday's game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyH4qLIVEz0

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Wow, that wager was infuriating.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I somehow managed to pull "divine" out of my rear end for tonight's Final. It was a tough one.

I think people are already howling about the winner's wager.

edit: Ben-Hur is the best name on Jeopardy in awhile though.

zakharov fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 15, 2014

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Jen.... :allears:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

NewsRadio!

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
That was an embarrassingly easy final.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Flagrant Abuse posted:

No kidding. They're all over the map with difficulty these days.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I usually measure difficulty by whether or not I know it (unless it's one of the incredibly obscure things I know, like the Don Drysdale/RFK one from last month) and I thought of Surgeon General almost immediately, so yes, it was far too easy

Saul Lewinsky
Feb 1, 2012
I think that's the most clues I've seen that were left hidden. Practically a whole category even!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My favourite super easy final recently was the "Evolution" one.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Saul Lewinsky posted:

I think that's the most clues I've seen that were left hidden. Practically a whole category even!

Soooo many triple stumpers in the first round.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

How the gently caress did no one get Janet Leigh??

Also where did Dick Tracy come from?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

uublog posted:

Also where did Dick Tracy come from?

Confused "Ghostface" for "Scarface".

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

ABC in New York preempted Jeopardy for an additional half hour of their Nightly News because of the Ukraine jet shoot down and crash, but they aired it at 7:30 instead, pushing Wheel to late night. Good to see the people doing scheduling have their priorities straight...

Easy as cake Final again. I could see how someone might pick the wrong name, though. I thought of Galileo first, before remembering that Copernicus was first to claim the heliocentric theory but had to repent.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Jeopardy got pushed to 2:30am. Sometimes it blows in the central TZ

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

GhostStalker posted:

ABC in New York preempted Jeopardy for an additional half hour of their Nightly News because of the Ukraine jet shoot down and crash, but they aired it at 7:30 instead, pushing Wheel to late night. Good to see the people doing scheduling have their priorities straight...

Easy as cake Final again. I could see how someone might pick the wrong name, though. I thought of Galileo first, before remembering that Copernicus was first to claim the heliocentric theory but had to repent.

Any of Copernicus, Kepler, or Galileo would have been a fair guess. The only distinguishing thing was the quote. I went with Copernicus but I had no more reason to choose him than the other two.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Any of Copernicus, Kepler, or Galileo would have been a fair guess. The only distinguishing thing was the quote. I went with Copernicus but I had no more reason to choose him than the other two.
The way the clue was written the answer was pretty obviously "guy who figured out the earth goes around the sun and not the other way around" which makes it pretty obvious which one of the three it is.

The super easy final jeopardies are really weird, I don't like them, Jeopardy is supposed to end with a difficult question, drat it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

HookShot posted:

The way the clue was written the answer was pretty obviously "guy who figured out the earth goes around the sun and not the other way around" which makes it pretty obvious which one of the three it is.

The super easy final jeopardies are really weird, I don't like them, Jeopardy is supposed to end with a difficult question, drat it.

Well yeah Copernicus was the first heliocentrist but the other two were also active in the 16th century and are strongly associated with heliocentrism so it would be an easy mistake to make.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I went back and forth between Galileo and Copernicus, and chose the wrong one in the end. :(

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Nice suit, Winston.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Nice suit, Winston.

His suit owns and I won't hear a word against it.

My game today did not own. I don't know poo poo about Madonna or art, and that knocked out 2 categories for me (got 1 in each). I also only got 1 right in the "V"ocabulary category which was annoying since I usually own those.

Teen tournament next week, hooray! Then the summer hiatus, boo.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The final clue stumped me on both Madonna categories, I almost ran both categories :argh:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Cool things from the past few days:

1) I got Friday's final, thus giving me the first 5/5 week in Finals that I can remember.

2) I had my Sports Jeopardy audition on Saturday, and passed the test! Going to copy/paste my JBoard post for anyone curious.

quote:

Just got back from my NYC audition. Was anyone else there? I was Jake in the blue checkered jacket.

A few thoughts:

-I was definitely overdressed in a sweater, sport coat, and jeans. I must have missed the "dress casual" memo.

-Jimmy was there getting everyone pumped up, along with Maggie, Corinna, and others.

-Obviously not going to say anything about the test other than that it is definitely easier than Stump the Schwab, and that it pays to have a great breadth of knowledge about sports.

-About 25 of us passed, and I was one of them! I was near the end of the list, so I was starting to get nervous. I really felt bad for people who had traveled a long way.

-They told us that the game board may not have a bottom row, giving time for "Dan to be Dan." The set's also going to be more like a sports bar. Curious to see what it looks like. They'll do taping sessions in August, January, and April.

-I felt like my mock game went well. There were more clues that I didn't know than in my standard J! mock games, but I attribute that to getting stuck with a tennis category. I got complimented on my nice loud voice. I think I had a better interview than any of my previous auditions.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

zakharov posted:

Cool things from the past few days:

1) I got Friday's final, thus giving me the first 5/5 week in Finals that I can remember.

2) I had my Sports Jeopardy audition on Saturday, and passed the test! Going to copy/paste my JBoard post for anyone curious.

A friend of mine had a Sports Jeopardy tryout today, too.

Jscolon, bridesmaid of Jeopardy thread.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

zakharov posted:

The guy who does The Final Wager had a pretty, pretty good video for Tuesday's game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyH4qLIVEz0

What a loving weirdo. Yeah it was a poor bet but it doesn't affect you

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Riptor posted:

What a loving weirdo. Yeah it was a poor bet but it doesn't affect you

Well, this is his personal project. He does one of these vids for every game, analyzing their wagers. Yes it doesn't affect him but neither do most things people care about on the Internet.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

zakharov posted:

Well, this is his personal project. He does one of these vids for every game, analyzing their wagers. Yes it doesn't affect him but neither do most things people care about on the Internet.

I just mean the degree to which he seems personally offended

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Teen tournament starts. Thread about to get creepy, yo.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

zakharov posted:

Yeah, his video for my show vindicated my betting strategy. Couldn't do much else in my situation, so I guess there wasn't much to vindicate, but it was still nice to get acknowledged in that manner...

Riptor posted:

I just mean the degree to which he seems personally offended

Well, you always bet to win. A lot of people watching the show were aggrieved over her bet in Final...

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

GhostStalker posted:

Well, you always bet to win. A lot of people watching the show were aggrieved over her bet in Final...

I just don't get why (unless it's an Arthur Chu/Ken Jennings/Julia Collins situation) you'd be rooting for a particular person who you don't know, and feel so slighted when they gently caress up

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Riptor posted:

I just don't get why (unless it's an Arthur Chu/Ken Jennings/Julia Collins situation) you'd be rooting for a particular person who you don't know, and feel so slighted when they gently caress up

It's fun to pick rooting interests in a competition. And if I did a daily video on betting, I'd probably get annoyed when someone muffed such an obvious bet. His reaction wasn't even that bad, compared to some of the folks on Jboard.

As for tonight's show...poor Josiah. Cat and Cooper are both really good, but he just would not stop guessing.

Cat really should have bet 0 on Final to have a better shot at a wild card.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
God dammit Josiah... just god dammit.

edit: Oh gently caress that Final. I need to see the wording of that question again because I made the same mistake as that girl.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I had a friend over for a couple of weeks and it was hilarious when we'd watch Jeopardy because she would get so attached to certain contestants, and whenever someone would make a big wager in a DD or final she would squeal and go "OH MY GOD LOOK HOW MUCH MONEY THEY LOST/WON!!!" and it was basically hilarious because my husband and I just watch it for the questions, and never really thought about the wagers that way.