Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/07/cory-booker-rand-paul-team-up-108640.html

Booker/Paul or Paul/Booker -- "The leaders America deserves." (Cue "Happy")

Still though, it's a good soundbite. It'll never get out of the House.

Peztopiary fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Dapper Dan posted:

Yup. Anti-intellectualism is pretty strong in the Republican party and among conservatives in general. Grants have been shredded to pieces and we are falling behind in research. Because of 'useless' projects (forget trying to explain the link between fundamental research and applied research).

It is all about 'gut feelings' to them and what is right is unchanging. Science is very frequently mutable, and if you don't understand the modern scientific research process (which is typically NOT done in high schools) you think it is a bunch of bunk because it changes all the time. It also has a nasty habit of not agreeing with your world view when you want it to, so anything that breaks the bubble of delusion is evil and bad.

Being mutable is how you get people thinking 'theory' means what in science is a hypothesis. A theory is identical in empirical evidence to a law, except since science is constantly changing, they didn't want to make things sound too concrete. Like every discipline, science has its own technical terms and language that most people don't even bother giving a cursory look over. Or how it is different from common use.

Science is a mess in this country, and it isn't going to get better unless people start valuing education and most importantly, higher education. But good loving luck on that front.

Although it's not as severe, it's worth remembering that the right doesn't have anything like a monopoly on the rejection of scientific research.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Aurubin posted:

In real news, the Benghazi panel is heating up!. With heartwarming stories of bipartisan cooperation! A 3.3 million dollar budget! I'd drink like the rest of you if I wasn't a teetotaler.

3.3 million for 12 people engaged in political theater

0 for 150,000 people in Detroit who don't have water

This country

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I know this heavily dependent on both the Democratic and Republican candidates but how much of a shift to the right, and general blow would be a Republican president be in 2016?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SkySteak posted:

I know this heavily dependent on both the Democratic and Republican candidates but how much of a shift to the right, and general blow would be a Republican president be in 2016?

GOP in control of the House, Senate, and Presidency? As much as National Review and the Wall Street Journal want to do "think pieces" about what a "conservative government" would look like we know exactly what it would be. The Bush years from 2000 - 2006, all over again.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fried Chicken posted:

GOP in control of the House, Senate, and Presidency? As much as National Review and the Wall Street Journal want to do "think pieces" about what a "conservative government" would look like we know exactly what it would be. The Bush years from 2000 - 2006, all over again.

It would be so much worse now. We had actual moderates then.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Yeah, we would look back on the Bush years with nostalgia. It'd be an accelerationist's wet dream.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Antti posted:

Yeah, we would look back on the Bush years with nostalgia. It'd be an accelerationist's wet dream.

Team America: World Police is still a relevant movie because near as I can tell, it is the current R position on the Middle East.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

mastervj posted:

OK, I'll admit this broke my brain.

the gently caress?

He probably meant to say that global warming is happening on Mars too because that's usually a fallback position for them after they're forced to admit the ice caps are melting here. Or that's what he wanted to say but he genuinely doesn't understand the difference between a value and its first derivative (also possible seeing as how he is representing a group that says that smaller-than-last-year increases in Pentagon budgets are "cuts"). It's been prevalent enough to get its own debunking:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-on-mars.htm

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fried Chicken posted:

3.3 million for 12 people engaged in political theater

0 for 150,000 people in Detroit who don't have water

This country

I just really wish someone would get some mic time and start talking about that.

"We're spending 3.3 million on this political theater that has so far come up with no signs of conspiracy. While that has been going on we have spent absolutely no money on the following..." And then start listing stuff like Detroit and other recent failures of public infrastructure.

Of course, the Right would just blow it all off, but it would be a magnificent middle finger for the Right to sit and spin on.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Eh, the extreme bullshit flies because they don't have to be accountable. As soon as they can give the rich (more) time on the public teat they will get down to brass tacks and pass whatever without grandstanding

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Alkydere posted:

I just really wish someone would get some mic time and start talking about that.

"We're spending 3.3 million on this political theater that has so far come up with no signs of conspiracy. While that has been going on we have spent absolutely no money on the following..." And then start listing stuff like Detroit and other recent failures of public infrastructure.

Of course, the Right would just blow it all off, but it would be a magnificent middle finger for the Right to sit and spin on.

The right wing actively wants the residents of Detroit to die off so they would see that as a bonus.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What moderates were those again?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It will be exactly the same, thus it will not happen, because nothing good happens to Republicans. Democrats will hold the White House for decades.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nonsense posted:

It will be exactly the same, thus it will not happen, because nothing good happens to Republicans. Democrats will hold the White House for decades.

Republicans destroyed any chance of them getting a president in office by painting every long term well mannered republican a RINO and thus ruined their chances in the national republican primaries.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Conservatives are saying that Biden should be admonished by the gay community for using a gay slur "teabagger"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Joementum posted:

Let's gather 'round and listen to State Senator Brandon Smith (R-Hazard TN) on the topic of climate change.

:bravo:
Well, see, someone might respond with "facts" about the "reality" that the climate on Mars is completely different from the climate on Earth, but Smith would pull out that old chestnut "Well I'm not a scientist, but I just *feel* that the weather is the same both here and on Mars."

Goes to show pretty much anyone can become a state senator.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
"Global warming isn't real because it's cold outside on Mars."

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Joementum posted:

Jody Hice has some thoughts he'd like to share with you before his July 22 primary runoff election.

This is the district that elected Paul "Lies From the Pit of Hell" Broun.

Further proof that the only problem the Religious Right has with Sharia law is that it mentions some Allah fella instead of the one true God.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Conservatives are saying that Biden should be admonished by the gay community for using a gay slur "teabagger"

Conservative heterosexual men have never had a woman lick their balls, and conservative women have never licked a guy's balls? Teabagging isn't an exclusive sex act to one sexuality. Though I guess there is no lesbian teabagging.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

McAlister posted:

Just a general observation about worries that misogyny can be kept in check.

It can't.

[snip!]

That's how crazy misogynists are. You can't bottle that poo poo up.

It is absolutely insane to watch in action for anyone who has not noticed it (you've doubtlessly seen it but may not have been tuned it). I'm not sure where you are located but if you are not in the bible-belt of the South then you haven't seen anything yet. Misogyny supported by unquestionable religious teachings AND continually reinforced (or at least not questioned) due to the close-knit communities fostered by many churches is simply awe-inspiring. I'm talking about things like weddings where the women (including the bride!) do the cooking for the reception and are not allowed to eat or even sit down until the men are done.

Yes that is an extreme example but one thing that the Democratic network has been quite adept at doing is catching video of the extreme nutjobs spouting off and making them the face of the GOP. The eventual nominee likely will be smart enough to not say anything awful but it is highly likely they will be put into the position of having to chose between pissing of a large chunk of the base or being seen as endorsing some downright disgusting ideals.

edit: Also SC is early in the primary process... :getin:

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 8, 2014

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

greatn posted:

Conservative heterosexual men have never had a woman lick their balls, and conservative women have never licked a guy's balls? Teabagging isn't an exclusive sex act to one sexuality. Though I guess there is no lesbian teabagging.

What are you, kidding? Missionary, lights off, hole in the sheet. Procreative purposes only.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Whoops, careful there boys- wouldn't want anyone to think you're a homo or something. I mean when a conservative hears them say stuff like this, which they would never say if they weren't taking naked potshots at a democrat, what do they think? How long does it take for the pendulum to swing back to "No non-traditional marriage!"?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Alter Ego posted:

What are you, kidding? Missionary, lights off, hole in the sheet. Procreative purposes only.

No I heard the hole in the sheets can cause an abortion.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

greatn posted:

No I heard the hole in the sheets can cause an abortion.

But Onan knew that the child would not be his; so whenever he slept with his brother's wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from providing offspring for his brother.
Genesis 38:9

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Tell me that state senator mistakenly thought he was doing a conservative comedy show...oh who am I kidding, he was serious :smithicide:

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

mcmagic posted:

What moderates were those again?

The moderates the stopped the privatization of Social Security.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

The moderates the stopped the privatization of Social Security.

That wouldn't get past now either. The country HATES it. (Unless it was a democrat who tried to pass it.)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mcmagic posted:

That wouldn't get past now either. The country HATES it. (Unless it was a democrat who tried to pass it.)

I don't think the country has all that much input if the GOP gets in control. It will be done for Ideological purity our own good.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/07/08/upshot/how-the-year-you-were-born-influences-your-politics.html

This is pretty interesting, showing political leaning over time by year of birth. It would appear the really recalcitrant conservative shitheads aren't actually Boomers, who are split about 50/50, but Gen X and people born from about 1965 to 1980. You can look at how much each cohort's politics change in each presidency, and the year that swung hardest to the right during Obama's presidency was born in 1975.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

I don't think the country has all that much input if the GOP gets in control. It will be done for Ideological purity our own good.

They would need 60 votes in the senate and the white house and it would be a frontal assault on their biggest base of voters. Not likely.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Magres posted:

It's really good for the thread to have someone presenting and arguing Republican views because it cuts down on the 'Republicans are so awful' circlejerk slash echo chamber

Nothing can cut down the circlejerking and echo chambering in here. :thejoke:

JT Jag posted:

I respond to Amergin once because I actually wanted to debate a point with a Republican proxy and he didn't even bother to rebut. That teaches me!

I mean, if you want to bring opportunity cost into the mix then a donation to any kind of research hinders other kinds of research. poo poo, if I donate to cancer research I'm hindering the Red Cross.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

But Onan knew that the child would not be his; so whenever he slept with his brother's wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from providing offspring for his brother.
Genesis 38:9

But Onan did not know this was a terrible method of contraception, seeing as though this was the Iron Age, and thus provided offspring for his brother anyway.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Look who wrote a column on Breitbart

Sarah Palin: Impeach the President NOW

quote:

Enough is enough of the years of abuse from this president. His unsecured border crisis is the last straw that makes the battered wife say, “no mas.”

Without borders, there is no nation. Obama knows this. Opening our borders to a flood of illegal immigrants is deliberate. This is his fundamental transformation of America. It’s the only promise he has kept. Discrediting the price paid for America’s exceptionalism over our history, he’s given false hope and taxpayer’s change to millions of foreign nationals who want to sneak into our country illegally. Because of Obama’s purposeful dereliction of duty an untold number of illegal immigrants will kick off their shoes and come on in, competing against Americans for our jobs and limited public services. There is no end in sight as our president prioritizes parties over doing the job he was hired by voters to do. Securing our borders is obviously fundamental here; it goes without saying that it is his job.

The federal government is trillions of dollars in debt, many cities are on the verge of insolvency, our overrun healthcare system, police forces, social services, schools, and our unsustainably generous welfare-state programs are stretched to the max. We average Americans know that. So why has this issue been allowed to be turned upside down with our “leader” creating such unsafe conditions while at the same time obstructing any economic recovery by creating more dependents than he allows producers? His friendly wealthy bipartisan elite, who want cheap foreign labor and can afford for themselves the best “border security” money can buy in their own exclusive communities, do not care that Obama tapped us out.

Have faith that average American workers – native-born and wonderful legal immigrants of all races, backgrounds, and political parties – do care because we’re the ones getting screwed as we’re forced to follow all our government’s rules while others are not required to do so. Many now feel like strangers in their own land. It’s the American worker who is forced to deal with Obama’s latest crisis with our hard-earned tax dollars while middle class wages decrease, sustainable jobs get more scarce, and communities become unrecognizable and bankrupted due to Obama’s flood of illegal immigration.

Who’s looking out for the American worker? Who has their backs? Who fights for them?

We should.

President Obama’s rewarding of lawlessness, including his own, is the foundational problem here. It’s not going to get better, and in fact irreparable harm can be done in this lame-duck term as he continues to make up his own laws as he goes along, and, mark my words, will next meddle in the U.S. Court System with appointments that will forever change the basic interpretation of our Constitution’s role in protecting our rights.

It’s time to impeach; and on behalf of American workers and legal immigrants of all backgrounds, we should vehemently oppose any politician on the left or right who would hesitate in voting for articles of impeachment.

The many impeachable offenses of Barack Obama can no longer be ignored. If after all this he’s not impeachable, then no one is.

America:The Battered Wife of a black kenyan muslim usurper

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 8, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Reminder Barack Obama will be the first successfully fully-implemented impeached President in American History.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Per what I'm hearing at the office today (we were one of the main pitch firms),the RNC has officially chosen to go with Cleveland for 2016. I've never seen this many people happy about a plague of locusts over the land.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

TheGreyGhost posted:

Per what I'm hearing at the office today (we were one of the main pitch firms),the RNC has officially chosen to go with Cleveland for 2016. I've never seen this many people happy about a plague of locusts over the land.

DNC has 6 possible locations and they are visiting them on these dates to see what will be the best fit

Birmingham, AL - July 21-22
Cleveland, OH - August 4-5
Columbus, OH - August 6-7
New York, NY (Brooklyn) - August 11-12
Philadelphia, PA - August 13-14
Phoenix, AZ - September 10-11

Yes, nothing says DNC like Alabama

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

TheGreyGhost posted:

Yeah came here to post it but official announcement just went out. Cleveland it is.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Look who wrote a column on Breitbart

Sarah Palin: Impeach the President NOW

America:The Battered Wife of a black kenyan muslim usurper

I know I shouldn't care, but she really pushes my buttons. I'm not sure you could even program a bot to write an essay more densely packed with factually-incorrect things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I'm slightly annoyed there hasn't been a website that will rehost Breitbart's articles and horseshit so they don't get the clicks.

• Locked thread