Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
i'm hoping the tegra bit is true. that thing is a beast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lamebot posted:

i'm hoping the tegra bit is true. that thing is a beast
Tegras are absolute dogshit though?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Its quite possible the Tegra K1 is true as Google talked about 64-bit a lot at I/O and the on-device game we saw at the keynote was on Tegra K1.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Tegras are absolute dogshit though?

The Tegra 4 is a total boss, my Shield (not a tablet) handles smoothly and has excellent gaming and emulation performance.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Its quite possible the Tegra K1 is true as Google talked about 64-bit a lot at I/O and the on-device game we saw at the keynote was on Tegra K1.
Ah yes, the one that dropped frames, froze, and looked like FMV from a 1990s CD-ROM drive in a paint mixer. But yes, Nvidia has certainly proven themselves when they introduced the first dual-core ARM chips with the Tegra2 (LG G2x/O2x, Motorola Atrix, Motorola Xoom) that they promptly dropped driver support for despite the fact that they never worked properly, froze all the time, and had jittery and buggy GPU performance.

No worries, they quickly followed it up with the Tegra3 which of course had such horrible power consumption it was relegated to tablets and then they *gasp* dropped driver support and abandoned. It was so bad that Google switched away from them for the 2013 Nexus 7.

Then there's the Tegra4 (which of course they won't drop driver support for after the K1 is released, why would you think that?) that gets its rear end handed to it by Snapdragons despite the Qualcomms being a generation back (it's almost like Nvidia doesn't offer good driver support or something :confused: ).

Anyone who buys something with an Nvidia SoC deserves what they get. They've never, ever supported a chipset beyond the initial release and even when they're AOSP-supported (Xoom/2012 Nexus 7) they always run like poo poo.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
That explains why the 2012 Nexus 7 is the longest-supported Nexus device ever.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I don't know then, my TF201 works perfectly well and is fantastic for video or reading with its weakest point being the ram (1Gb) and asus skin wich is fixed with a rom. The N7 still feels better overall but they've got released with almost 2 years between.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
So I have a Nexus 7 2013 that has been stored away for a month or two. The battery was dead after I got it back out, so I try to charge it. All that happens when I hit the power button is an led on the bottom blinks 5 times and nothing else happens.
I've done all the troubleshooting steps and called customer support who read off the troubleshooting steps to me again and told me to call back in 10 hours after leaving it on the charger, which I have already done once. I've tried the opening the bootloader but it only flashes an empty battery sign and shuts off.

I figure I have nothing to lose by asking in here if anyone has some tips to get it booted up or a general idea of what's happening.

E:it booted a few minutes after I posted this, guess I don't have an issue anymore

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 7, 2014

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Guillermus posted:

I don't know then, my TF201 works perfectly well and is fantastic for video or reading with its weakest point being the ram (1Gb) and asus skin wich is fixed with a rom. The N7 still feels better overall but they've got released with almost 2 years between.

My 201 is a piece of poo poo, although that probably has more to do with ASUS and poo poo WIFI performance than Tegra. Oh and the poo poo NAND they used, which I'm assuming is ASUS's fault

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Anyone have recommendations for a qi charger?

I have a 2013 N7 and I've tripped over my charge cable enough that it slides out a bit too easy anymore. I'm planning to get 2 or 3 of them, 1 for work, 2 for home.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Iron Crowned posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a qi charger?

I have a 2013 N7 and I've tripped over my charge cable enough that it slides out a bit too easy anymore. I'm planning to get 2 or 3 of them, 1 for work, 2 for home.

Get the official charger. From amazon, it's only $50 with no crazy shipping or anything. I have several Qi chargers, and it works the best. The magnets that hold the device on make it a really useful device. The cheap Chinese ones get super hot, and the phone just bounces around. A lot of goons recommend the Tylt Vue, but it's not cheaper than the official charger. Once in a while a coupon comes around, so that's an option as well.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Get the official charger. From amazon, it's only $50 with no crazy shipping or anything. I have several Qi chargers, and it works the best. The magnets that hold the device on make it a really useful device. The cheap Chinese ones get super hot, and the phone just bounces around. A lot of goons recommend the Tylt Vue, but it's not cheaper than the official charger. Once in a while a coupon comes around, so that's an option as well.

Thanks, I didn't realize that Google had an official one because there are no links to it from the N7 page, and it doesn't show up when I just google "qi charger."

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Iron Crowned posted:

Thanks, I didn't realize that Google had an official one because there are no links to it from the N7 page, and it doesn't show up when I just google "qi charger."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GN1YKBU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1404835347&sr=8-1

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Or from Google directly:
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_Wireless_Charger?id=nexus_wireless_charger

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

My 201 is a piece of poo poo, although that probably has more to do with ASUS and poo poo WIFI performance than Tegra. Oh and the poo poo NAND they used, which I'm assuming is ASUS's fault

That's a thing I agree with, the poo poo WIFI performance. Both my samsung phones and my N7 have better conectivity when it comes to WIFI and way faster download rates.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Shipping is cheaper and better from Amazon. The Play Store finally added saver shipping, but you still save some bucks from Amazon.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Shipping is cheaper and better from Amazon. The Play Store finally added saver shipping, but you still save some bucks from Amazon.
Sure, I'm just giving an alternative in case he's not in the US or whatever.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's cool, I am in the US, I just didn't think Google had on official offering, due to the fact that they didn't do the smart thing and have a link to it on the same page where you can buy an N7.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
A thing to remember when ordering from Google - they will warranty it for one year.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Nokia's wireless chargers that they sell with their Windows Phones are Qi, though though don't clearly advertise that fact. They very frequently go on sale for cheap--I think I paid less than $30 for 3 of them through AT&T's website.

I'm very happy with them. If I had a complaint, it would be that they're not (or my Nexus 7 isn't?) magnetic and so don't latch onto the device you're charging.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a wifi-only Galaxy Tab 3 7.0, not from or tied to any carrier. Is there any chance of this thing ever getting KitKat? From what I can see, it looks like the only Tab 3's getting the update are getting them through the carrier. Are us carrier-less Tab 3 owners screwed or what?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have a wifi-only Galaxy Tab 3 7.0, not from or tied to any carrier. Is there any chance of this thing ever getting KitKat? From what I can see, it looks like the only Tab 3's getting the update are getting them through the carrier. Are us carrier-less Tab 3 owners screwed or what?

It's a year old budget tablet from Samsung. You shouldn't hold your breath for it, though the fact that the Sprint model got it means it isn't crazy to expect you will. Samsung's own website doesn't list anything for it, too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm used to the Apple world, where you definitely know if your phone/tab will get the next update, because they explicitly state if it is or is not supported any more.

This whole "wait and see, but no ones saying anything" thing is very weird.

Maybe my best bet is waiting for some :spergin: on XDA to hack the sprint package to work on other tabs?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah, your options are "wait and see" or read through here and here to try to piece together whether there are stable ports of KitKat or Cyanogenmod or whatever for your specific device. In general, you'll get more clarity about updates and better support for updates, both official and community-supported unofficial stuff, if you buy flagships. There are just way too many budget Android devices that both get dumped by the manufacturer within a year or shorter and don't sell well or become popular enough with XDA people to have much unofficial support. Since a variant of yours did get the update, there should be ROMs/ports available, but there's no guarantee these will be bug free or easy/safe to do.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The problem is they have so many devices to decide what to update. If you have a flagship that's less than a couple years old, you'll probably get it. If you have a budget phone, don't hold your breath. Or you could have a flagship phone and you won't get anything because they don't support some bit of hardware in your phone anymore. (not bitter)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All those things are true but it's rather unusual for a carrier-branded version of a device to get an update while the unlocked device doesn't.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

All those things are true but it's rather unusual for a carrier-branded version of a device to get an update while the unlocked device doesn't.
At least when a major version bump is involved. Sometimes there are updates available for carrier models that never hit the others, i.e. 2.3.5 was a exclusive to the Sprint Nexus S but it's rare and usually CDMA-specific.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So I bought the new 10.5" tab s. My primary purpose behind the purchase was to get a good tablet for reading comic books. Comic books have an aspect ratio of 1.54, which means that 16:10 is where you want to be if you want to be able to view full pages. 4:3 means less comic book and more blank space.

I went with the samsung because the new amoled screens are pretty drat great looking, which is important given my primary purpose. The tablet is also light compared to others, which is nice given that I am holding it up to read. It is 465g, compared to 603g for the nexus 10.

Here is a quick comparison of the real thing vs the tablet. It is hard to get the lighting exactly right in a shot like this, due to the fact that I am trying to focus on the tablet and the book next to it.

Overall I like it a lot. I wouldn't say it is the best tablet ever, mainly due to the fact that it is much more likely to get stranded on updates than any sort of nexus device. Still, for my purposes, I think it is the best choice out there.

Kornball
Apr 28, 2003
Look my schniggies! I had a strizoke in my brizain, okay, you know what I'm sayin? So I can't move all good. Thanks for mentioning that, thank you very much.

WhyteRyce posted:

Overall, I completely agree. For something that initially cost ~$750 for the tablet and dock, Asus completely hosed up. The best set up I've been able to achieve for my aging TF201 is running flumpster's HairyBean 2.31 with hund's kernel modified for F2FS. For a 2.5 year old tablet, I think this is the best it'll be able to do. I tried the crombi-kk 4.4 rom but found the battery life and stability of HB2.31 to be superior.

revolther
May 27, 2008
TF700 was another $750 Tegra3 flop, though slow flash memory gets most of the blame. At this point, I'm not interested in Nvidia's mobile offerings unless it's connected to ProjectTango and then out of curiousity. Qualcomm have shown they make competitive if not superior products without selling us on the hype of next-gen gaming in the palm of our hands. Nvidia's horse in the race is enabling gaming as a by-product of mobile performance, Qualcomm's so far is mobile performance and maybe(?) interconnectivity with the wireless devices (the cpu/pen combos that translate writing in realtime to the tablet seem pretty sweet).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Filthy Monkey posted:

So I bought the new 10.5" tab s.
Overall I like it a lot. I wouldn't say it is the best tablet ever, mainly due to the fact that it is much more likely to get stranded on updates than any sort of nexus device. Still, for my purposes, I think it is the best choice out there.

If you don't mind cyanogenmod, samsung tablets get great support when it comes to updates and that shizzle. I hate touchwiz but high tier samsung devices with super amoled screens look drat nice, and if you get around rooting and flashing CM, you wont get behind when it comes to updates.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Guillermus posted:

If you don't mind cyanogenmod, samsung tablets get great support when it comes to updates and that shizzle. I hate touchwiz but high tier samsung devices with super amoled screens look drat nice, and if you get around rooting and flashing CM, you wont get behind when it comes to updates.

If you root it but don't want to install CM however, you're hosed.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rooting a samsung device will end in installing a custom rom sooner or later, once you taste the blood... :unsmigghh:

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

revolther posted:

TF700 was another $750 Tegra3 flop, though slow flash memory gets most of the blame. At this point, I'm not interested in Nvidia's mobile offerings unless it's connected to ProjectTango and then out of curiousity. Qualcomm have shown they make competitive if not superior products without selling us on the hype of next-gen gaming in the palm of our hands. Nvidia's horse in the race is enabling gaming as a by-product of mobile performance, Qualcomm's so far is mobile performance and maybe(?) interconnectivity with the wireless devices (the cpu/pen combos that translate writing in realtime to the tablet seem pretty sweet).

That's part of the reason I get extended warranties. Mine was going to be up, and my charger port was starting to act up so I turned it in.

I got a Note 8 since I wanted a tablet easy to carry around and a stylus. And so far it's awesome.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I posted a little while ago about sending my recently purchased refurbished Nexus 7 2013 in to ASUS for warranty repair. It had been rebooting a few times a day. They got it back to me in about 10 days (from leaving my post office to fedex dropping it off after repair). The packing slip says they replaced the mainboard in the unit (it has the same serial # so they opted for repair instead of replace) and now it seems to be working perfectly as far as I can tell. It also appears to be flawless despite having been taken apart. It's been on for four days so far with no random rebooting and there don't seem to be any other issues so far. All in all I am pretty happy with how it turned out despite having to get the RMA done.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Can anyone with one of the new Samsung Galaxy Tab S's comment on the quality. I'm considering the 8.4" model (or possible the 10.5") as a replacement for my aging (and dying) TF101.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Rexxed posted:

I posted a little while ago about sending my recently purchased refurbished Nexus 7 2013 in to ASUS for warranty repair. It had been rebooting a few times a day. They got it back to me in about 10 days (from leaving my post office to fedex dropping it off after repair). The packing slip says they replaced the mainboard in the unit (it has the same serial # so they opted for repair instead of replace) and now it seems to be working perfectly as far as I can tell. It also appears to be flawless despite having been taken apart. It's been on for four days so far with no random rebooting and there don't seem to be any other issues so far. All in all I am pretty happy with how it turned out despite having to get the RMA done.

Nice. I just ordered a 32gb refurbished one today.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
So speaking of that nexus 7 I ordered I am curious as to how the multiple users work. I really just want to add another user so my son can play a game that I also play but only allows one player (Clash of Clans). How does this work exactly in android? Will there be quick user switching or is it a PITA to switch? Will I have any weirdness with multiple google accounts or does it truly treat the other user like a separate account?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TraderStav posted:

So speaking of that nexus 7 I ordered I am curious as to how the multiple users work. I really just want to add another user so my son can play a game that I also play but only allows one player (Clash of Clans). How does this work exactly in android? Will there be quick user switching or is it a PITA to switch? Will I have any weirdness with multiple google accounts or does it truly treat the other user like a separate account?
You click the user tile in the quick settings panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

mmm11105 posted:

Can anyone with one of the new Samsung Galaxy Tab S's comment on the quality. I'm considering the 8.4" model (or possible the 10.5") as a replacement for my aging (and dying) TF101.
Quality of any part in particular? I bought the 10.5" from amazon, and I like it a lot. The biggest reason to get it is really the OLED screen. It feels a generation ahead of other tablets in that area. Plus, it is pretty light compared to other tablets, which is handy if you are holding it up to read things. I would probably suggest the titanium bronze version over the white, as the backing is a little softer and grippier.

It is basically a big version of a galaxy s5, if you'e ever held one of those.

I would suggest reading the anandtech review too. It is pretty accurate.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8197/samsung-galaxy-tab-s-review-105-84inch

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 16, 2014