Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

ultramiraculous posted:

i'm sure that those things don't even get used by people just touring the place (minus you i guess). there has to be an overwhelming sense of "i'm an adult" that kicks in before you can make it into the slide's purple maw (quotee excluded again obviously).

oh yeah we were definitely out of place and being all loud and rambunctious for our sales meeting, but we spend a lot of money with them so they put up with us and our whacky antics. I was like "can I go through the slide?" (thinking about the YOSPOS story) and our account exec was like "heck yeah, do you want me to take a photo of you doing it?" and I said "no, absolutely not" totally stonefaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ultramiraculous posted:

i'm sure that those things don't even get used by people just touring the place (minus you i guess). there has to be an overwhelming sense of "i'm an adult" that kicks in before you can make it into the slide's purple maw (quotee excluded again obviously).

there was a slide at the new belgium brewery in fprt colins, CO. i think that the nature of their product makes it more likely to be used though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theadder posted:

idk about this lol

it's become a fad among completely normal companies apparently.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
That seems like an incredibly stupid waste of money.

My office has three things that could make it conceivably 'whacky' when compared to any other standard office environment.

-It's an architecture firm so the layout is a bit mad. lots of open areas with massive tables.

-We have hats from all over the world decorating the walls for some reason, haven't plucked up the courage to ask why they are there yet though.

-We have a custom pool table that gets used on occasion.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

so has google dropped that one lawyer that is evicting school teachers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PleasureKevin posted:

so has google dropped that one lawyer that is evicting school teachers.

why would they do that when they can just stop indexing the articles that mention him?

internet memory hole

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

infernal machines posted:

why would they do that when they can just stop indexing the articles that mention him?

internet memory hole

next you'll suggest that google could potentially stop indexing articles that criticise them

lol yeah right that'll never happen

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

it's become a fad among completely normal companies apparently.

lol

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Google Co-Founder Says People Shouldn't Have to Work So Much

"If you really think about the things you need to make yourself happy -- housing, security, opportunity for your kids ... it's not that hard for us to provide those things," Page said. "The idea that everyone needs to work frantically to meet peoples' needs is not true."

Page said the world should be living in a "time of abundance" in which robots and machines could help meet everyone's basic needs much more easily.

Brin said he had to "quibble a little bit" with his colleague's vision for future employment.

taken verbatim from Zeitgeist: Addendum

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hey cool, it's the idealism of the 50s without the social contract

maybe those poors will just quietly die off so all us world striding techno gods can enjoy our ten hour work weeks in peace, drinking our roboto-lattes while the roomba manicures our palatial gardens

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

hey cool, it's the idealism of the 50s without the social contract

maybe those poors will just quietly die off so all us world striding techno gods can enjoy our ten hour work weeks in peace, drinking our roboto-lattes while the roomba manicures our palatial gardens

idg why it's part of the social contract to provide people with work instead of just "housing, security, opportunity for your kids"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

maybe if google switches to 10 hr work weeks they'd stop loving everything up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tractor fanatic posted:

idg why it's part of the social contract to provide people with work instead of just "housing, security, opportunity for your kids"

"housing, security, opportunity for your kids" should be the social contract, it's not, and neither is providing people with work that pays a living wage. there is no social contract in the dark enlightenment

their plan isn't mincome or something, it's just automating the poors out of a job and outsourcing the rest.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

i was reading an article recently and apparently some dumb accounting firm in london installed it in their office? weirdest thing.

some company with the name of their dead founders from 1785 or something

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

tractor fanatic posted:

but why would you want any of that
is being a bourgeois piece of poo poo actually good for you?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ludwig van Halen posted:

but why would you want any of that
is being a bourgeois piece of poo poo actually good for you?

:siren:lf alert! lf alert!:siren:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

some company with the name of their dead founders from 1785 or something

~the sign of quality~

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

there's ladders between floors in the nyc google office but they're genuinely useful because that place is a twisty maze of passages all leading to the spotify office

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

PleasureKevin posted:

"If you really think about the things you need to make yourself happy -- housing, security, opportunity for your kids ... it's not that hard for us to provide those things," Page said. "The idea that everyone needs to work frantically to meet peoples' needs is not true."

Page said the world should be living in a "time of abundance" in which robots and machines could help meet everyone's basic needs much more easily.

Brin said he had to "quibble a little bit" with his colleague's vision for future employment.

lol if you think society won't fall for this again

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PleasureKevin posted:

"All these people on the planet working 9 to 5 just to stay alive, how come?"
-Beyoncé, 2013

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
It is true though. We live in an age of abundance. Half the planet could not have to work and still easily be provided for.

Automation multiplies the labour one man can do (humans still needed to maintain, just less). Unskilled labour can be replaced by machine and the displaced labour can be provided an equivalent living wage from the excess profits made from that new, efficient system.

Some people might sit on their asses and do nothing in their lives. Oh well, id bet they end up a minority.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
It is true though. We live in an age of abundance. Half the planet could not have to work and still easily be provided for.

Automation multiplies the labour one man can do (humans still needed to maintain, just less). Unskilled labour can be replaced by machine and the displaced labour can be provided an equivalent living wage from the excess profits made from that new, efficient system.

Some people might sit on their asses and do nothing in their lives. Oh well, id bet they end up a minority.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

take it to the Silicon Valley containment zone fuckers

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

cremnob posted:

take it to the Silicon Valley containment zone fuckers

gently caress u
lf in every crenomb thread b/c it's the only thing that makes him madder than goog

so fellas how about that privilege theory :getin:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Forums Terrorist posted:

gently caress [...] crenomb

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
small wok weeks and poo poo would work if the world wasn't already in a totally
hosed place

how many hours are worked by the collective poor just so half their pay can go on rent and directly into the pockets of the already wealthy?

its like so many people work
at energy factories making energy to fuel
the escalators of life which move in the opposite direction you're going, which exist in the first place to give you a job to do

Dec 26, 2012

Ocrassus posted:

Ocrassus posted:

we live in an age of post abundance

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
redundance

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

01011001 posted:

we live in an age of post abundance

a post post scarcity age

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
wish all your posting would be scarce

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

5% of the people control 95% of the posts

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i have here in my hand a list of card-carrying yosposters

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

are you now or have you ever been a member of a posting organization?

name names!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
who is..... 'preg net' ?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Ocrassus posted:

communism failed, friend

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Ludwig van Halen posted:

communism failed, friend

the problem with the ussr was it was full of russians

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
lmao screwgle dropped hangouts for every browser except chrome

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011