Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
First, you can't predict her whelping date very well based on when she was impounded. You've probably read online that gestation is about 9 weeks, but this is misleading. Canine sperm can live in the uterus for about 5 days, so even if you knew she was bred on May 7th and only May 7th, her actual "conception" date might not have been until May 12th or so, all depending on when she happened to ovulate. (This is why responsible breeders like to do tests to know exactly when their female ovulates; this lets you predict due date MUCH more accurately than just knowing when she was bred.)

The temp method of predicting labor is actually pretty good, and I'd highly recommend it if she'll let you do it. It's the best method you've got to predict when she'll whelp, and it's basically free. About a third of bitches don't have a detectable temperature drop, and most often these are bitches with very small litters or singletons. If the vet saw lots of puppies on ultrasound, odds are in your favor. You need to measure rectal temp 2-3x daily starting about a week before her due date because it can be brief. Record the temps you get. Most bitches will have some normal fluctuations in the morning vs. evening, but real temperature drop will be more noticeable, around 98-99. The temperature drop indicates the beginning of Stage I labor which should last about 6-12 hours (but sometimes as long as ~30 hours) before stage II starts. Stage I is where you see nesting, pacing, other behavior changes. Stage II is where you see contractions and pushing and puppies.

Personally, I'd spring for an x-ray about a week before she's due if you can afford it. It's the only way to know the number of puppies for sure. Knowing the number makes things safer and will lower your own anxiety level a lot.

I think the most important thing for whelping at home is to know what's normal and what's an emergency, so here's a short list of bad things that should prompt you to call or take her to the nearest emergency vet:
- Greenish black vulvar discharge BEFORE any puppies are born. (Once puppies start being born, this can be normal.)
- >30 hours since Stage I labor and the temperature drop without progression to Stage II (pushing, etc.)
- Mild contractions not progressing to hard contractions within 3 hours.
- HARD contractions without the first puppy being born within 2 hours, or without subsequent puppies being born within 1 hour.
- A puppy hanging out of the vulva for more than 15 minutes.
- Periods of rest without strong contractions for more than 4 hours when you know there are more puppies.

Obviously that's not a complete list, but I think having normal time periods for things can be really reassuring. If you're sitting around watching her whelp, I'd also write down what time things happen. It's really easy to be like "OMG that puppy has been stuck there for like 20 minutes!!!" when it's actually been 5 minutes and it's totally fine.

Anyway, sorry that turned into a novel. I am a nerd for canine reproduction. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Crooked Booty posted:

I am a nerd for canine reproduction. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

Thank you that was quite a helpful post! Just took her temp for the first time after breakfast and it was 99.1. What's the usual daily fluctuations? Because that seems low. e: okay at 1:30pm it's now around 100.0.
Is this the sort of thing I should make a new thread for? I don't want to clog this thread with birth stuff.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 22, 2014

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Definitely make a new thread about her. Especially since I know you're going to post puppy potato pictures, right?

Good on you for making the best out of a lovely situation.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Definitely make a new thread about her. Especially since I know you're going to post puppy potato pictures, right?

Good on you for making the best out of a lovely situation.

Made a thread here, I take photos of all my dogs constantly so yes there will be photos: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3645349

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Leaving my shepherd mix at the vet for boarding while I am on my first vacation in 4. He has never been away from me for more than a day and he locked up and tried to hide behind me when the nurse came to take him from the exam room to the boarding area. I hope he doesn't think I'm leaving him :( Left an old smelly tshirt and one of his blankets with him, brought his own food too so he doens't have to deal with transitioning on and off of anything, but still feeling pretty terrible about boarding him.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Nephzinho posted:

Leaving my shepherd mix at the vet for boarding while I am on my first vacation in 4. He has never been away from me for more than a day and he locked up and tried to hide behind me when the nurse came to take him from the exam room to the boarding area. I hope he doesn't think I'm leaving him :( Left an old smelly tshirt and one of his blankets with him, brought his own food too so he doens't have to deal with transitioning on and off of anything, but still feeling pretty terrible about boarding him.

He'll be ok :unsmith: Think how happy he will be when you come get him!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I posted in the training thread about issues with Freya, who is now just over a year old and the issues we have with recall. We have to tether her if we aren't outside with her because she's gotten out of the yard a few times now despite our proofing (partially thanks to a groundhog digging under our fence). She's on a 60 foot lead but it sucks because we have this big, beautiful fenced yard that we simply can't just leave her to have fun in without supervision off of it during the day. I've been trying to work with her coming when called but if I approach her in the yard when she's off the tether she just runs and won't come within five feet of me, and doesn't respond at all to treats because we had used the before when trying to catch her after she's gotten out, and she doesn't respond to play either. Even worse, on the tether she doesn't respond at all. I'm just so upset and frustrated because she definitely prefers my husband and isn't affectionate at all, I just wanted a dumb old' dog buddy and we got a dog that I seriously think might have dog autism. She was doing so well for a while and then one day she just stopped coming when we called her.

I don't think it's that she was older as we adopted her at six months either, because both the dogs my parents have were rescued when they were over a year, with one being a little too aggressive at times and the other so affectionate its almost irritating. She's a husky/shepherd mix, so I was surprised by her lack of affection since all the other same mixes, including the dog I had growing up I've met are all over people. It just seems she likes everyone but me, is it because I'm a woman? :sigh:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
She's in her Adolescence phase. Nyx will do that too sometimes but if I've been running her around she will walk by my side and come when called. I think a good part of it is she has a stimulant overload until she's drained of her puppy energy.

Perhaps try doing recall inside again. Have your husband stand at one side of the house and call her, then you call her back. Treat her every time at first then disperse it a bit.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Toriori posted:

I don't think it's that she was older as we adopted her at six months either, because both the dogs my parents have were rescued when they were over a year, with one being a little too aggressive at times and the other so affectionate its almost irritating. She's a husky/shepherd mix, so I was surprised by her lack of affection since all the other same mixes, including the dog I had growing up I've met are all over people. It just seems she likes everyone but me, is it because I'm a woman? :sigh:

Sure sounds like a lot of Huskies - needs elaborate containment system, no reliable recall, independent and hard headed, etc. Mutts are crapshoots when it comes to temperament, so you can't judge by other (purported) husky/shep mixes.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, finally picked up our puppy today.

We're learning quickly. When the breeder said "Take her outside when she wakes up", she meant "RIGHT AWAY!!!"
First time we got to the hallway...second time I carried her all the way down and just made it outside.
She has pee'd (twice) and poo'd (once) inside and she gives very little warning. It's tricky to read as she's sniffing at everything still.
We got her walking into the crate quickly and she'll now walk in and out and is happy to sleep there when she's tired.
However, if she's not tired, she cries...a lot!. Our neighbours are in general great, but last time I had to give up as it was too late and too loud. (And she wouldn't stop).
And now I need to take a nap, before having to take her out again!.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

adventure in the sandbox posted:

He'll be ok :unsmith: Think how happy he will be when you come get him!

I know he will be fine, I'm just nervous that all of the progress we've made in his training and behavior will be damaged + this vacation has been spent hiking in the woods and swimming and generally doing things that he would have loved to do. Yesterday I saw a baby sloth - HE COULD HAVE CAUGHT IT. Squirrels outmaneuver him every day at the park, but that lazy bastard would have been his.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Do Great Pyrenees really have blue eyes or are these puppies mixed with the Husky?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSH9-_InOU4

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Disharmony posted:

Do Great Pyrenees really have blue eyes or are these puppies mixed with the Husky?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSH9-_InOU4

Well, the description says pyrenees husky puppies, and you can see both parents in the video so. Yes. They are mixed with husky.

biggest platypus
Mar 10, 2014
Thanks for the breeder follow-up advice a few weeks ago, A Life Less! Just as I was pumping myself up to make some phone calls a few days later, someone I'd previously sent a follow up email to wrote back pretty much out of the blue. I'm getting a corgi puppy in mid to late August! Tiny puppy pics to come once I know which of the 5 little girls is mine. I'm super excited, but also starting the "omg how am I going to do this" worry. The one big stressor right now is parvo:

I live in a city, on a street that dead ends into a pretty heavily trafficked dog park. This is awesome for when I have a grown dog to take there!! But troubling when I have a puppy that is still getting vaccinations. I have a small patio down one flight of stairs (paved, not grass) which I share with two other neighbors who I don't know well (no other dogs though). Assuming the puppy is 9 or 10 weeks when I bring her home... are we basically stuck in the house for a month or two? Am I stuck using pee pads and/or hosing down the patio every hour or two for awhile? Surely other people have young puppies in urban areas without big, grassy yards - how do you do it?

I'd also like to bring the pup to work as soon as I can. I'm thinking of getting a crate for the office, to reduce accidents and give her a safe place to nap. There are other adult dogs there (I'm pretty sure work dog policy does or can enforce up to date vaccinations, but I can double check)... so work may be a good place to start socializing at a younger age. But I'm not totally clear on when young puppies can be around healthy older dogs. Coming to work also removes the private patio option for bathroom breaks during the day, which may be a problem. The area around work is less heavily-trafficked than my house, but there are still a few dogs around.

I guess I'm looking for some vague timelines - at what point can I take my pup out to the sidewalk in front of my house to do her business? When can she come to work, meet other dogs, and go to the bathroom outside the office? And when can I actually bring her to the dog park to run around for real? Any general tips for surviving the earlier weeks?

I'll probably see if I can get a pre-pup vet appointment to get a professional opinion on all of this in a month or so, but I'd love to get a general feel for things in the meantime and start figuring out how this might work. Thanks!!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, a couple of issues:
Hana the Great Dane has sorta figured out that the apartment is not for peeing, but will pee in the communal hallway (At least it's polished concrete floors!).
Currently this is solved by carrying her out, but this will only be doable for my wife for another week max, as we can already see/feel her growing.
Our lift is slow, so it'll be tricky to keep her occupied while we wait for it and she still can't handle the stairs.
I think I might try to take her out earlier and then attempt to keep her busy with treats.

I'm also having a small issue with actually getting her to go outside (of the apartment). I think it comes from taking her out at night, where she's clearly more interested in sleeping than going outside and now she's resisting when I put the collar on her. She's fine once once outside of the apartment.

Outside, she loved walking in front of the building, but also really doesn't want to venture away any further. If I walk her away, she will consistently try to go back where we came from and will start running/pulling when I do turn around. Maybe it's a bit too early to explore with her? She loves other people (and dogs, but doesn't know how to greet other dogs yet, so I don't really let her).
She's 8.5 weeks old and we've had her for 3 days.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

So, a couple of issues:
Hana the Great Dane has sorta figured out that the apartment is not for peeing, but will pee in the communal hallway (At least it's polished concrete floors!).
Currently this is solved by carrying her out, but this will only be doable for my wife for another week max, as we can already see/feel her growing.
Our lift is slow, so it'll be tricky to keep her occupied while we wait for it and she still can't handle the stairs.
I think I might try to take her out earlier and then attempt to keep her busy with treats.

I'm also having a small issue with actually getting her to go outside (of the apartment). I think it comes from taking her out at night, where she's clearly more interested in sleeping than going outside and now she's resisting when I put the collar on her. She's fine once once outside of the apartment.

Outside, she loved walking in front of the building, but also really doesn't want to venture away any further. If I walk her away, she will consistently try to go back where we came from and will start running/pulling when I do turn around. Maybe it's a bit too early to explore with her? She loves other people (and dogs, but doesn't know how to greet other dogs yet, so I don't really let her).
She's 8.5 weeks old and we've had her for 3 days.

She's a baby, she's really not going to have any confidence in venturing far from home for awhile and that's kind of a good thing! She also won't know how to really act on a leash or not generally be a puppy right now. Start taking her to puppy socialization and basic obedience classes as soon as she can safely go, that will help her learn, but her capacity for learning is still pretty low, as long as she sees a place she doesn't play or eat or sleep it probably seems like an okay place to pee for her, so when you take her out keep her lifted til she's safe to pee on ground. Don't expect her to know what the leash means yet, it's basically just a safety tether when you have her out right now, you should be keeping a close eye on her. If she hasn't had all her boosters don't take her to a public area where other dogs you don't know have been, she's not safe from viruses etc they could carry. She can't be more than like 40 lbs already right? I'm sure you can manage to carry her outside til you put her down in the grass and eventually she will get it. Being able to hold her bladder will come with age and muscle control, for now she can't help it really.

Associate the collar with treats for now without putting it on her now that she already dislikes it, or try putting a lighter version of a collar on her like a piece of yarn to get her used to the feeling first, and use positive reinforcement of course for having it on her, whether it is treats or praise. She also may not like the jangly sound of tags or whatever is on the collar at first if that's an issue, try it without the metal tags. Or try a soft bandana, maybe she's a big baby!

Once she's asleep she will probably not have to pee unless you wake her up until she gets up on her own. Just be glad she is sleeping. Puppies can usually stay asleep for many hours at night without accidents in a low power sleep mode, but as soon as they're up they'll have to go as their body awakens and realizes its full. Beep boop.
Take her out as fast as you can as soon as she has had a meal, a big drink, woken up, stopped playing with her toys suddenly and gone to sniff around the house especially in corners or just out of sight from you. Then always praise/reward her for peeing where you want her to, even if she let a little trickle in the hallway on accident etc. when she does something good she gets something good, puppy logic. The best way to house train is to be proactive about it and not to let her make a mistake, and it is tough sometimes.

Post pictures!

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 1, 2014

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's impossible to avoid public areas where other dogs have been. I am limiting it to just around our building, but there are a fair amount of dogs in the area/building.

(Ah, pictures in previous post are broken..this one should work).
She was weighed at 25lbs 6 days ago...she's a fair bit heavier now and she has visibly grown in the 3 days we've had her. I'll be fine for now, but my wife will struggle in a week or so.
Currentlly she's good as we take her outside and she'll consistently pee on the same piece of grass, start walking to the left and if she needs to poo, she'll start sniffing poo shortly after.

Colleague suggested taking her into the hallway (when I know she doesn't need to go) and play with her there, just so that she starts associating that with not only being a 'going to potty' place.

I'll play with her tonight (at home) and take the collar (no leash) on and off, so she'll learn that it can be fun.
We'll start puppy classes next Saturday.

I'll let her sleep tonight and see what happens!. And yeah, after one of the potty-breaks last night, it was Power On! for a full hour at 2am which wasn't much fun!.
She's happy in her crate and will sleep/relax there with the door closed and it's used for toy-storage (She puts them there), but if she's active, she does not like one bit and will cry almightily. She will stop after 10 mins or so the couple of times we've used it in the day time, but I don't want to wake up the neighbours at nighttime, so I only close the door once she's asleep.

Thanks for the help!

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
Thank you for the amazing OP! I'm feeling completely overwhelmed with my 2 month old rescue and I'll have to re-read the OP several times to let everything sink in.

My pup is finishing up her second round of shots, so I'm holding off on socializing her with other dogs until she completes the third. This evening, my neighbor's chihuahua (who was running free without a leash) decided to come into my front yard. My pup started growling at her and seemed like she was to get into a fight. Her breed is supposed to be ultra territorial and aggressive to other dogs, unless socialized properly. I almost kicked the drat rat looking thing away like a football, but luckily her owner showed up in time to call her back. The only other time she has shown any sign of aggression like that was when we came across a possum. Is this something I should be concerned about? To be fair, chihuahuas do look like little rats. I want my puppy to get along with other dogs, but I don't want to bring her to a doggie date and have her get all aggressive and growly. :(

I've started clicker training, but I'm still at the phase where I'm trying to make her associate the click with a treat.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Potty training completely fell apart for my wife today..Hana pooed 4 times in the house. Think it's time for a complete reboot with much stricter supervision.
(I'm doing long hours at work at the moment, which really isn't helping).

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Meet Freddy. According to the shelter we adopted him from, he is a 12-week-old hound/GSD, but he is also clearly a vampire.

My wife and I brought him home Saturday. He'd tested posted for worms and been given Nemex pre-adoption; he's due for another round in a couple of weeks. He had some diarrhea right off the bat, so on Tuesday, we took him to the vet. They prescriped metronidazole and suggested a bland diet for 3-4 days. He's been eating rice and chicken since then, albeit in portions small enough to make me feel like a great big monster--he's hungry!

Is constipation a possible effect of this? It's my first time needing to feed an animal a bland diet, so I'm not sure what's normal. He hasn't had to go in a little over a day, now. He's also not too concerned with water, which freaks me out a bit, but he's otherwise energetic and happy so far.

Also, anyone have toy suggestions for strong-chewing, teething puppies? He's pretty good at wrecking things immediately. Stuffed/cloth things are a no-go, as he'll shred and starting eating them immediately. I ordered a GoughNuts ring as they're supposed to be "indestructible," but there are just so many options out there.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 3, 2014

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Insanite posted:

Also, anyone have toy suggestions for strong-chewing, teething puppies? He's pretty good at wrecking things immediately. Stuffed/cloth things are a no-go, as he'll shred and starting eating them immediately. I ordered a GoughNuts ring as they're supposed to be "indestructible," but there are just so many options out there.

Antlers or kongs frozen with peanut butter in them, both with supervision

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Insanite posted:

Meet Freddy. According to the shelter we adopted him from, he is a 12-week-old hound/GSD, but he is also clearly a vampire.

My wife and I brought him home Saturday. He'd tested posted for worms and been given Nemex pre-adoption; he's due for another round in a couple of weeks. He had some diarrhea right off the bat, so on Tuesday, we took him to the vet. They prescriped metronidazole and suggested a bland diet for 3-4 days. He's been eating rice and chicken since then, albeit in portions small enough to make me feel like a great big monster--he's hungry!

Is constipation a possible effect of this? It's my first time needing to feed an animal a bland diet, so I'm not sure what's normal. He hasn't had to go in a little over a day, now. He's also not too concerned with water, which freaks me out a bit, but he's otherwise energetic and happy so far.

He may be constipated with dying worms OR with the sudden change in his diet with more fiber etc, and the metronidazole - which is supposed to stop diarrhea i think, so i guess it did its job - it should resolve soon, if it's more than 24 hours and especially if he stops eating or starts to look bloated/fat, to go vet ASAP.

Boy have I got experience in this dept! My year old pittie princess destroys anything in a flash and will eat pieces of it, even the 10 out of 10 Tuff Rated tuffy toys.
Seconding Ikantski, Kongs (black rubber is the toughest one), the stuffing free toys like skinneez - yes he'll still eat off the ears, eyes, feet etc eventually and get at the squeakers, but way less stuffing to deal with, I vote for antlers personally. Nylabones of the toughest degree can be okay if you watch him with them and take them away when he starts getting bits of plastic off. I wouldn't worry too much now about breaking teeth cuz he should still have his baby teeth which no harm no fowl if they fall out, they're going to anyway, but when he gets his adult teeth watch out for the antlers and tough nylabones especially.

Try to get him interested in maze/trick/puzzle toys if you can too. I like the brands trixie, omegapaw, petsafe (like the tug jug) and starmark products. There's many options for things you can stuff and fill. There are also balls that make sounds if he likes that, talking ones and babblers. If he likes crunchy sounds, I've found LARGE, HARD bottles from the store, like costco sized ones of juice, are the only bottles my dog can crunch on and carry that don't immediately puncture. Water bottles are useless.
Rope toys also may be good for him and there are mint scented ones out there for breath too. Eventually he will get through the knots and start getting strings off, but I haven't had a big problem with just retying them or cutting the frayed bits off and they're cheap/pretty easy to replace.

Also try PrideBites toys, order on their website if a store near you doesn't sell them, free shipping!

I basically have to spent a fair amount on new toys monthly so I signed up for barkbox size 'large' dogs and another monthly dog toy/treat service, doggyloot.com's toy of the month. Worth it! I have to take away a toy that's being destroyed almost daily so it's good to have a small stash of a new exciting backup when she's bored. She chewed my wooden computer desk once, never again.

Watch him with all these toys, especially at first, and do not leave him unattended and crated with any of them except for maybe the indestructible kongs and doughnuts.

PS: He is very cute! His ears are huge :3:

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 3, 2014

rekamso
Jan 22, 2008
I don't have the time or schedule for a puppy (the OP made that quite clear :) ), but I'm curious if adopting an adult dog is an option based on my lifestyle:

- Standard, but stable & predictable, 9-5 job (away from home)
- Home most evenings (the few I'm not, I'm still around for at least an hour after work and could certainly arrange for a dog walker in the rare cases where that's not possible)
- Large house on the edge of a city with a small fenced yard (I don't envision keeping a dog outside all the time)
- Single (no one else in the house)
- No other pets
- I've never owned a dog (just enjoyed friend's dogs)

Am I crazy to think it's reasonable to adopt a dog which has matured a year or two and already has some training?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
You'll have to get a dog walker or come home everyday for lunch, but I don't see why not.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Rurutia posted:

You'll have to get a dog walker or come home everyday for lunch, but I don't see why not.

I am probably nitpicking here. This might be helpful in the beginning while the dog is getting settled in, but its not something you *have* to do. Especially since the cost of dog walkers or dog daycares can add up very quickly and not everyone is close enough to pop home during lunch. Having a full time job and an already settled-in/house broken adult dog is totally possible without a lunch outing. I do it every day (plus some commute time) and while its not the ideal situation on paper that rescues dream of, both me and the dog are happy. Plus it is way better than the alternative (sitting in a shelter/getting euthed? No thanks.)

Not saying rekamso shouldn't do it at all. If they can manage it then great, go for it! I just didn't want them to feel like they can't be a good dog owner if they couldn't afford/do it every work day forever. I would still recommend being in contact with a dog walker or neighbor for the situations that work runs too late or an emergency happens. It is good to have a back up plan, especially when you are the only one living at the house.

When you're ready, just start visiting shelters/rescues (also keep an eye on petfinder) and tell them that you are looking for a younger adult-middle aged dog that is already housebroken/okay with being alone during the day. With the help from shelter/rescue employee and some patience, you will likely find the perfect dog for your situation. People give up kick rear end adult dogs like this all the time for stupid reasons and then they are hard to adopt out because people want the puppies.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Thanks! Lots of stuff to check out. He's having a tough time wrecking Kong stuff so far, but anything but the very hardest Nylabone variety goes from new to dangerous in hours.

I'm also intrigued by Barkbox, as I like getting random things in the mail.

Freddy and his giant ears thank you both.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 3, 2014

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

cryingscarf posted:

I just didn't want them to feel like they can't be a good dog owner if they couldn't afford/do it every work day forever. I would still recommend being in contact with a dog walker or neighbor for the situations that work runs too late or an emergency happens. It is good to have a back up plan, especially when you are the only one living at the house.

Agreed. Most days I come home at lunch and offer my dogs time for a pee, but they don't even want it. They are large breed adults and can easily go 9 hours without a bathroom break. rekamso I definitely think you could find an awesome adult dog and give it a great home :)

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Sorry, just going off of my personal experience. Pickles can go some days without a mid day walk, but the chances that she'll have an accident goes from 0 to 10% (approximation/made up).

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Rurutia posted:

Sorry, just going off of my personal experience. Pickles can go some days without a mid day walk, but the chances that she'll have an accident goes from 0 to 10% (approximation/made up).

Its different for everyone I'm sure :) If you get a dog from a foster they would be able to tell you if it can go the whole day without a break.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Thanks for the tip on letting the puppy sleep through the night. She slept for some 7 hours the first, just to get diarrhea yesterday :(
She could still mostly control it. Only indoor accident was after having been outside for a potty break (both pee and poo) and a little play in front of the building, the moment we got inside, she started pulling towards the door again. I initially resisted, but decided to go with her, just to see starting to squat just in front of the foor. Some minor spillage, but nothing major.
I took her back up and she went straight back to her crate to sleep...only to wake me up an hour later, clearly in distress and the moment I put her down out side, she *sprinted* to her spot to go again.
At least she knows where to go outside and definitely does not want to go in the crate.
Diarrhea seems stabilized today and we've added some pumpkin to her lunch, with hope of firming everything up.

Prior to all this, we used some new treat that are far better for getting her attention to keep her focused on us when walking down the hallway and it works a treat. (No, not a pun). The vet also introduced us to a super-high-value treat that she almost went insane over when first introduced to it (Dried buffalo liver), but we'll save that special occasions.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

rekamso posted:

I don't have the time or schedule for a puppy (the OP made that quite clear :) ), but I'm curious if adopting an adult dog is an option based on my lifestyle:

- Standard, but stable & predictable, 9-5 job (away from home)
- Home most evenings (the few I'm not, I'm still around for at least an hour after work and could certainly arrange for a dog walker in the rare cases where that's not possible)
- Large house on the edge of a city with a small fenced yard (I don't envision keeping a dog outside all the time)
- Single (no one else in the house)
- No other pets
- I've never owned a dog (just enjoyed friend's dogs)

Am I crazy to think it's reasonable to adopt a dog which has matured a year or two and already has some training?

Sheeeeit, I raised a puppy on less. He has a doggy door to the patio where the potty tray is though. Get you a dog.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Rurutia posted:

Generally little dogs aren't as good at going 9-10 hours unsupervised as bigger dogs are. That said, I have one little dog who needs to go out every 6 hours and another who I have to drag out every 12 hours.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine
My pup's been sleeping in her crate in her own, so I took her out for a walk where she did her business, and tried locking the crate doors when she settled inside for a nap. As soon as I closed the gate, she started barking and whining to be let out. I read you shouldn't give in and open the door, so I waited, and waited, and waited, but she wouldn't stop so I left the room. It got worse. I came back inside, sat down in front of the crate and she seemed to calm down long enough for me to finally let her out. Now, she's been whining nonstop even though I've let her out, and she won't even go near the crate.

What did I do wrong, and how do I fix it?

I left her a kong filled with treats and made sure she had all of her favorite toys in there with her. But when she was whining, she wouldn't even go near the thing. It was about 30 minutes of nonstop whining and barking, but I made sure she stayed quiet for about 10 seconds before I let her out.

Muttonchips fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 4, 2014

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Muttonchips posted:

My pup's been sleeping in her crate in her own, so I took her out for a walk where she did her business, and tried locking the crate doors when she settled inside for a nap. As soon as I closed the gate, she started barking and whining to be let out. I read you shouldn't give in and open the door, so I waited, and waited, and waited, but she wouldn't stop so I left the room. It got worse. I came back inside, sat down in front of the crate and she seemed to calm down long enough for me to finally let her out. Now, she's been whining nonstop even though I've let her out, and she won't even go near the crate.

What did I do wrong, and how do I fix it?

I left her a kong filled with treats and made sure she had all of her favorite toys in there with her. But when she was whining, she wouldn't even go near the thing. It was about 30 minutes of nonstop whining and barking, but I made sure she stayed quiet for about 10 seconds before I let her out.

The advice to wait until they settle can backfire on you hard if the dog is really freaking out. Don't do that again with her - dogs that are just protesting and crying it out will start to self-soothe within a minute or two, while dogs that get more anxious will sensitize themselves to confinement and may be an early sign of separation anxiety.

Go very slow. Your first goal is to get her comfortable in the crate again and taking food. Then it's getting her comfortable with taking a treat when you put your hand on the open door. Then closing the door 1/8 of the way, etc. You need to take baby steps because this experience was very stressful.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

So I just got home from my trip. A friend picked him up from the vet this afternoon as my flight was going to be well after the vet closed. They left me a message that he was picked up and settled into the house no problem. I got home, he had been alone for ~7 hours. My friend left cookies on the counter wrapped in tin foil, which were found on the floor still in a pile in the tin foil. It looks like there are a dozen cookies present and accounted for with a few crumbs on the impact site. He was a little over-excited for the first 30 minutes or so I was home but has settled down and is napping as per usual next to me on the couch. It doesn't look like he vomitted or poo poo anywhere in the house, he took a normal poo poo when we walked, he finished his dinner and didn't finish his water. He is 30 pounds. Should I be grabbing some charcoal tablets from the pantry, running to the vet (I wouldn't know if he ate anything 20 minutes before i got home or 7 hours), keep sitting with and watching him, or am I just being paranoid?

e; Family is telling me I'm being paranoid and laughing at how bad I will be when I have kids (multiple dog owners as part of the sample group). Not going to go home tonight though, there is a vet nearby my parents but not my apartment so I am going to keep a close eye on him and stick around for the day for peace of mind.

e2; Well past the 24 hour mark of earliest possible ingestion, approaching the 24 hour mark of latest. He seems okay. Has poo poo 3 times since and all have been normal. I think I may have been seeing symptoms in him being excited to be home after 10 days and in the heat, but will be nervous and watchful the next day regardless.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 6, 2014

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

cryingscarf posted:

I am probably nitpicking here. This might be helpful in the beginning while the dog is getting settled in, but its not something you *have* to do. Especially since the cost of dog walkers or dog daycares can add up very quickly and not everyone is close enough to pop home during lunch. Having a full time job and an already settled-in/house broken adult dog is totally possible without a lunch outing. I do it every day (plus some commute time) and while its not the ideal situation on paper that rescues dream of, both me and the dog are happy. Plus it is way better than the alternative (sitting in a shelter/getting euthed? No thanks.)

Or if you get a small dog, pee pads are fantastic if you can't make it home for lunch. I set mine up in the bathroom, and my chi/something with a super high prey drive mix will go pee in there if me or my mother aren't home to walk him. Get home, throw out the pad, wipe down the floor, toss another down and take him out for a proper walk. He's fantastic at not crapping unless i really go for a long time without taking him out, but little dog bladders aren't meant to go 6+ hours. I mean, they'd work for larger dogs too, but even my little guy tends to soak through most pads, i'd imagine you'd be mopping your bathroom floor rather than simply giving it a quick once-over with some fantastik and a paper towel.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

my JRT holds it for 9hr no problem

pee pads are gross

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Our biggest potty training problem is Hana peeing without warning. She still doesn't see our place as her den and will squat without any signals and pee.
She's fine in the crate, so it's clearly not a physical problem. Pooing is always outside and besides one accident on the first day and one in the crate due to an upset stomach, she's been good on that front.
She also hates the journey of going out, although it's slowly getting better. We can now coax her out, but if she's tired, it's just not happening and I'll have to carry her. (Whether she needs to go or not). Some googling shows it's fairly common for puppies to be like that and that they'll grow out of it, but it isn't fun, as she's now approaching 30lbs. Even with her favourite treat it's very hard work.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Hello puppy thread! My family (or rather, my parents) have bought a border collie puppy. Her name is Lindy. Here's a picture.

I'm around fairly often but it's really their dog, not mine, so I have reservations about really getting too involved. But here I am, on night-time potty duty. She hasn't had an accident at night so far, and I'm not sure if that just means I'm doing a good job or if I'm just waking her up like a jerk all the time. She's only 8 weeks old, so I guess I'll just continue being a jerk until the end of the summer, at least.

Anyway, more to the point, can puppies chew baby toys? Since my parents are also grandparents now, they've amassed a large collection of baby toys. The puppy is greatly amused by the noises they make, and my parents seem perfectly satisfied with letting her chew on them. They're mostly hard plastic or those crinkly soft plastic things. I am fairly certain the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask people's opinions before digging my heels in. My parents make the argument that babies teethe too, and put toys in their mouth, so the toys are made safe, but it's not quite the same thing to me. Maybe I'm wrong, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

ruta posted:

Anyway, more to the point, can puppies chew baby toys? Since my parents are also grandparents now, they've amassed a large collection of baby toys. The puppy is greatly amused by the noises they make, and my parents seem perfectly satisfied with letting her chew on them. They're mostly hard plastic or those crinkly soft plastic things. I am fairly certain the answer is no, but I thought I'd ask people's opinions before digging my heels in. My parents make the argument that babies teethe too, and put toys in their mouth, so the toys are made safe, but it's not quite the same thing to me. Maybe I'm wrong, though?

My guess is that as the pup grows she'll likely chew them to bits, and will likely consume said bits. Since they're baby-safe they'll probably not poison her, but blockages are always a possibility. I miiiight be convinced to let her chew them while supervised so you can be sure she's not destroying and eating them.