Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

The difference is simple: Google is pushing NFC payments as a reality right now.
It's a chicken/egg problem that has to start somewhere. Also, I use NFC payments at CVS because Wallet also has my loyalty card in it that they scan. My phone is already out and unlocked with Wallet so it's just a tap and I'm good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

I bought a battery not made by Samsung for my GNote, because Amazon(.co.uk/.de) said original batteries are refurbed non-working garbage. Luckily the noname Anker battery I bought instead seems to work fine.

Hmm, interesting. I'm going to lend this battery to my dad to throw in his G3 and see if it has the same issues. If it does I may go that route.

minusX posted:

What does android say is eating your battery? I was having this issue thanks to Location services, and I froze them from doing as much background crap and it stopped being an issue. Google Now still works fine too.

I'll have to check, but IIRC it was just "android system" or something like that. Wasn't any single culprit which led me to believe that it was the phone hardware. I'll try again later when I fish my phone out of my backpack.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I like this journey into cyberpunk themed alternate realities as a change of pace from case/sim card/keyboard chat.

Google glass will be a disrupter, watch. Give it ten to fifteen years and they may not even be the victor or in its current form. Bringing devices out of our pockets and into our eyes is the next step.

I need a decker!

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It's a chicken/egg problem that has to start somewhere. Also, I use NFC payments at CVS because Wallet also has my loyalty card in it that they scan. My phone is already out and unlocked with Wallet so it's just a tap and I'm good to go.

I pretty much use my phone and Wallet as novelty payment whenever I can. Allegheny Tea and Coffee has an NFC pad? Looks like I'm paying with the thing already in my hand! Oh, look, the grocery store uses NFC pads. Welp, don't have to put my phone away and get my wallet out. Oh hey, Sheetz accepts NFC payments for gas! Looks like I'm using my phone!

It's fun.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Hey so while you nerds were arguing about NFC I discovered that my quick settings page has a cast screen button now! Stock N5 4.4.4

Welp - got home and it fails every time. Hopefully I didn't miss previous discussion about this but I was excited!

lags fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 8, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has been mentioned a couple of times, it's a bug related to some unfinished code. Android L will add that feature but it's not working on the current preview builds.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

TraderStav posted:

I need a decker!

Hoi, chummer.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

dogcrash truther posted:

After the most recent upgrade from Android, I'm finding that my Galaxy Mini 4S runs much, much hotter than it used to on a regular basis, to the point that I'm kind of scared to put it in my pocket. You know what they say about black women's vaginas, that they look like a Phillipes french dipped roast beef sandwich that's been out in the sun for four hours? Well you could replace that sun with my Galaxy 4S at this point, and the result would be the same.

*smiles nervously, looks around, backs slowly away from the weirdo*

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Citizen Tayne posted:

*smiles nervously, looks around, backs slowly away from the weirdo*

That's the first interesting post in this thread for weeks.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
It's a FYAD challenge. Saw the same terminology used in the post your recent purchase thread and somebody called it out

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
It's gotten to be about time to replace my GalNex. It's served me well, but the lovely battery life and the frequent chugging are getting a little too annoying. Plus I probably have an upgrade available through verizon. So the Nexus 5 would be pretty much the same user experience, right? I prefer cleaner UIs and not a lot of clutter.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Zenzirouj posted:

It's gotten to be about time to replace my GalNex. It's served me well, but the lovely battery life and the frequent chugging are getting a little too annoying. Plus I probably have an upgrade available through verizon. So the Nexus 5 would be pretty much the same user experience, right? I prefer cleaner UIs and not a lot of clutter.

It would, but you can't get it on Verizon.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Zenzirouj posted:

Too bad the Nexus 5 is not available for Verizon!

The closest thing would be the Moto X or Droid Maxx - they have the same experience as the Nexus line, but with a few additions that are actually usable.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

hooah posted:

It would, but you can't get it on Verizon.

Merv Burger posted:

Too bad the Nexus 5 is not available for Verizon!

The closest thing would be the Moto X or Droid Maxx - they have the same experience as the Nexus line, but with a few additions that are actually usable.

:negative:

Aren't both of those about as old as the Galnex?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Zenzirouj posted:

:negative:

Aren't both of those about as old as the Galnex?

No, they are just shy of a year old and are both still good phones.

But their successors should be out in a month or two, probably.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tunga posted:

Has been mentioned a couple of times, it's a bug related to some unfinished code. Android L will add that feature but it's not working on the current preview builds.

It won't be exclusive to L, it'll be available in a future Chromecast update, but not exclusive to L. It will, however, be exclusive to these devices when it does launch:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Lowen SoDium posted:

No, they are just shy of a year old and are both still good phones.

But their successors should be out in a month or two, probably.

Oh, huh. Thought they were older. Was there an older phone with the Maxx name or something similar? I could swear I remember hearing about a phone like that several years ago. But anyway, it's looking like I'll go with either the Galaxy S5 or wait and see what those successors wind up looking like.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Zenzirouj posted:

Oh, huh. Thought they were older. Was there an older phone with the Maxx name or something similar? I could swear I remember hearing about a phone like that several years ago. But anyway, it's looking like I'll go with either the Galaxy S5 or wait and see what those successors wind up looking like.

There was a DROID RAZR MAXX, which is probably what you're thinking of.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="431891988"]
There was a DROID RAZR MAXX, which is probably what you're thinking of.

Ah yes, that's the one. I remember it because I had the Razr Minimum and my mom got the MAXX for the battery life.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

There was also the RAZR HD MAXX. And by the point it shipped the Google acquisition had long since closed, and the company should have known better to break the chain of names that can't be disambiguated when using the Google search engine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

kitten smoothie posted:

There was also the RAZR HD MAXX. And by the point it shipped the Google acquisition had long since closed, and the company should have known better to break the chain of names that can't be disambiguated when using the Google search engine.

Why? Google did one better by naming two tablets the exact same name.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ThermoPhysical posted:

It won't be exclusive to L, it'll be available in a future Chromecast update, but not exclusive to L. It will, however, be exclusive to these devices when it does launch:

I wonder whether I have an "and more coming soon".

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Zenzirouj posted:

As a current owner of a Galaxy S5: do not buy the Galaxy S5.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Can so what's the current best method for getting drivers working properly with android phones? I got a new Oppo Find 7 and trying to get adb working is driving me loving loopy. I've installed the drivers that come with the phone and uninstalled windows drivers etc. I don't get an "installing device drivers" prompt when I plug the phone back in even when I uninstall literally everything android/adb that I can find beforehand. Phone just comes up as storage and adb doesn't work.

The way windows does USB drivers is loving poo poo.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

dogcrash truther posted:

After the most recent upgrade from Android, I'm finding that my Galaxy Mini 4S runs much, much hotter than it used to on a regular basis, to the point that I'm kind of scared to put it in my pocket. You know what they say about black women's vaginas, that they look like a Phillipes french dipped roast beef sandwich that's been out in the sun for four hours? Well you could replace that sun with my Galaxy 4S at this point, and the result would be the same.

So wait uh do you mean a black woman's vagina is like a Phillipes french dipped roast beef sandwich that's been out in the galaxy 4S?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BurritoJustice posted:

Can so what's the current best method for getting drivers working properly with android phones? I got a new Oppo Find 7 and trying to get adb working is driving me loving loopy. I've installed the drivers that come with the phone and uninstalled windows drivers etc. I don't get an "installing device drivers" prompt when I plug the phone back in even when I uninstall literally everything android/adb that I can find beforehand. Phone just comes up as storage and adb doesn't work.
Uninstall everything and then use the driver that comes with the Android SDK.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tunga posted:

Uninstall everything and then use the driver that comes with the Android SDK.

And make sure USB debugging is on?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
If anyone is looking for an LG G Watch (why, I have no idea), but AT&T has an error on their site where it's categorized as an accessory, so you can buy the watch and then two $1.50 iPad cases, and it totals out to $170+tax with freeshipping. It came out to $190 for me, so you save $50.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7048192-lg-...al-179-25-taxes

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Jerk McJerkface posted:

If anyone is looking for an LG G Watch (why, I have no idea), but AT&T has an error on their site where it's categorized as an accessory, so you can buy the watch and then two $1.50 iPad cases, and it totals out to $170+tax with freeshipping. It came out to $190 for me, so you save $50.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7048192-lg-...al-179-25-taxes

AT&T has a habit of cancelling orders so don't be too surprised if that happens.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Is there any way to change the vibration strength for notifications? The keyboard feedback is fine because it just gives a little bump, but for everything else the phone just seems to go all guns blazing.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Is there any way to change the vibration strength for notifications? The keyboard feedback is fine because it just gives a little bump, but for everything else the phone just seems to go all guns blazing.

This works for the nexus 4 and 5, possibly others. Requires root.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dunnow.software.vibrationTuner

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

api call girl posted:

As a current owner of a Galaxy S5: do not buy the Galaxy S5.

Oh yeah? What are your main gripes with it?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
The general consensus from the major review sites is that the S5 is not a bad phone but highly flawed.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I've tried demo S5s in multiple stores and every one was more laggy than my Note 3. Although the Note 3 has more RAM so I guess that makes sense.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

leidend posted:

I've tried demo S5s in multiple stores and every one was more laggy than my Note 3. Although the Note 3 has more RAM so I guess that makes sense.
RAM has nothing to do with it. A Moto G has less lag than the S5.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

leidend posted:

Having had both the Note 3 and the GS5, there has been no difference in performance. Even when I had both side by side.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Lblitzer posted:

Having had both the Note 3 and the GS5, there has been no difference in performance. Even when I had both side by side.

Maybe Nova launcher smoothed out my Note 3 experience. I definitely did not get similar performance.

Was it an Exynos Note 3?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

leidend posted:

Demo units suck.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

leidend posted:

Maybe Nova launcher smoothed out my Note 3 experience. I definitely did not get similar performance.

Was it an Exynos Note 3?

It is definitely likely that it sped things up a bit. I had the Snapdragon versions of each. I don't use launchers too much, but Touchwiz was same even compared to my roommate's S4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyMeetsWorld
Aug 31, 2006
I'm currently on a HTC One X and have run out of storage. I went and deleted photos, I'm down to only the apps I like, deleted old SMS threads etc. I even deleted some app caches from my computer (only about 50mb).
Problem is I can't even update apps anymore because I'm out of storage.
The phone says 5.8gb out of 6gb for app storage and 6.6gb out of 9.9gb for phone storage. Any ideas of where to go from here?

Edit: It looks like I can move some apps to phone storage, one by one. More importantly, I found that Google Play Newsstand accounted for a whopping 411mb. I was able to clear that data but I'm not sure how it got that high. Maybe there was one or two "keep on device"s checked.

BoyMeetsWorld fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 8, 2014

• Locked thread