Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
Also burrows are now more important then ever. I have had more injuries due to climbing and chopping down trees then I have from any thing else so far with this release. I believe most of the injuries are from being to close to a tree that has been felled. So just in case before I choose where I am going to start digging down I have the lumberjack clear out a decently sized area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

hey what's this mess

Could this mean... piles for worn-out rags? :aaaaa:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Dwarf Fortress 2014 - Merchants climb up tree and go insane
http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6625

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Wait, do underground crops now only grow during certain seasons? Pig Tails and Cave Wheat only showed up on all of the farm plot options once summer comes, and now sweet pods have disappeared from all of the lists in autumn (together with nearly all of my seeds). Shouldn't they at least show up as option for the correct seasons?

Also, quarry bush leaves don't show up in the kitchen menu, aren't brought to stockpiles and apparently can't be cooked or brewed ...

Edit: Yeah, that first point is a bug

Mygna fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 8, 2014

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
Tarn did say in his last interview that he didn't like how easy and common a strategy farming was (paraphrasing). He seemed to be aiming at players having to adjust depending on the situation for food supply so it's not the same style of game every time.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Mygna posted:

Also, quarry bush leaves don't show up in the kitchen menu, aren't brought to stockpiles and apparently can't be cooked or brewed ...

I looked at the plant_standard.txt and found this:

[ITEM_REACTION_PRODUCT:BAG_ITEM:PLANT_GROWTH:LEAVES:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]

If I'm reading this right, Toady done goofed. Try replacing the "STRUCTURAL" with "LEAF".

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Mygna posted:

I think quarry bush leaves have to be processed. I don't remember if they yield processed leaves or syrup or what, but they probably have to go through another step before they become a kitchen item. Farmer's workshop, maybe?

e: oh, or maybe they're just bugged.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Iunnrais posted:

Given that your target was on the ground at the time, it may have to do with the fact that you CURBSTOMPED that froggirl's skull.

Yeah, but generally crubstops only cause body parts to transform into a gross red mush of blood and gore in ridiculously over-the-top combat systems ... on second thought, yeah, I'm not really sure why I was surprised about that happening. I'm really liking this combat overhaul!

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.
Dear lord, I've never wanted to NOT be at work so bad! There's Dorfs to explode and It's only noon!

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
This release is supposed to fix the issues with quickly fishing and hunting all the wildlife into extinction, right?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Browsing Bay 12 forums while dodging errors, read this and laughed:

quote:

Conversations flow more naturally now unless your a psychopath. When the elf greeted me I declared myself to be a god, he informed me that several of his fellow villagers were killed by a titan and I told him I found that terrific.

Less than two hours until I can run home for lunch... :getin:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

super fart shooter posted:

This release is supposed to fix the issues with quickly fishing and hunting all the wildlife into extinction, right?

That's the deal. The whole deal.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Sky Shadowing posted:

Browsing Bay 12 forums while dodging errors, read this and laughed:

The new conversation system is indeed terrific. Interactions unfold in a remarkably organic fashion, people greet you as you pass, bystanders exclaim in confusion and alarm when violence breaks out, and then you tell someone it's terrific his son was kidnapped and then run around town screaming that his son was kidnapped and that's terrific while everyone solemnly agrees that it was inevitable.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

scamtank posted:

I looked at the plant_standard.txt and found this:

[ITEM_REACTION_PRODUCT:BAG_ITEM:PLANT_GROWTH:LEAVES:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]

If I'm reading this right, Toady done goofed. Try replacing the "STRUCTURAL" with "LEAF".

Yes, that fixed the problem after generating a new world.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Did you destroy the old save yet? I'm fairly sure you could make it right on the fly, modifying the save raws.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

I started an elf adventurer (who doesn't like wooden weapons?) and asked the adjacent elf for a quest. She gave me one to kill a bronze colossus with seventy-five kills to its name, then promptly walked off the tree and died.

Now the colossus has eighty six kills... A random kingsnake woman I picked up as a follower on the way over, which the colossus punted into the trunk of a faraway tree.

This new update is fun.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
I just generated a medium world with the second lowest amount of civs and right now I am chugging along at about 70fps. This is much more playable then my last world.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

scamtank posted:

Did you destroy the old save yet? I'm fairly sure you could make it right on the fly, modifying the save raws.

Possibly, but I ran out of quarry bushes and seeds, so I cant test it until the next caravan comes.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kennel posted:

Dwarf Fortress 2014 - Merchants climb up tree and go insane
http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6625
Dwarf Fortress 2014 - Macedwarf continually spits on a sleeping priest
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6657

quote:

When I arrived in town around sunset, three soldiers were having a brawl with a war leader and a priest. I watched it for a while, trying to work out what was going on, and it didn't stop even when the priest surrendered and the war leader was unconscious (although they did at least stop attacking the priest). After sleeping, I found one of the soldiers standing by the (now sleeping) priest and spitting on him every so often. He claims he is on an important mission.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Obviously the compulsion to climb trees is being caused by a mutant strain of Cordyceps.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Great, can't even get through the "Updating World" screen. Maybe I will leave it a few weeks...

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Great, can't even get through the "Updating World" screen. Maybe I will leave it a few weeks...

The only advice I can give is generate a smaller world with a shorter history.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Not having any problems with world generation duration, and I've only been doing larges.

Actually it's vastly improved over how I remember the old world gen used to take.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Has anyone run into wild animals just randomly dying? They keep just smashing into bits without any outside effect. Flying into trees maybe?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

New issue: Crafts bins (finished goods) can't be selected in the bring goods to depot screen.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Okay, now the questing system has been completely overhauled, and you need guides. The issue is that getting a guide is also tied to the party limit. This is rather infuriating.

Also, how does one go about starting a conversation with a specific person? I can only shout at everyone at once, or the Deity.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Okay, now the questing system has been completely overhauled, and you need guides. The issue is that getting a guide is also tied to the party limit. This is rather infuriating.

Also, how does one go about starting a conversation with a specific person? I can only shout at everyone at once, or the Deity.

When you press k you can then move your selection area, as if you were examining something. I had trouble with that same thing at first too!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

How do you climb trees? I just want to climb trees.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

0lives posted:

When you press k you can then move your selection area, as if you were examining something. I had trouble with that same thing at first too!

Ah, thanks! That's real useful. I do wish that I'd known of that before I tried stabbing them instead. Now my adventurer has a knife in his left eye and a broken leg.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Pretty sure it's just repeatedly grabbing onto things. Check the keybind menu for the buttons.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I feel way more guilty clearing out troglodytes from the caverns now that they run in terror from me, instead of immediately rushing to scratch my face off.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Made a fort, build some basic poo poo but then all the water froze and everybody died from dehydration.

I have absolutely no idea how to get any food process running... How do i irrigate a spot of land easily? And do i need to store water somewhere somehow?

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
You can sever people's necks without decapitating them. 10/10

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
So when you declare that you take over a site, you can give it a new name:

And I like how half the goblins are cowering in terror as I eviscerate their comrades, while the other half excitedly shouts about how great it is to meet the world-famous Deduk, slayer of goblins, in person.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Has anyone run into wild animals just randomly dying? They keep just smashing into bits without any outside effect. Flying into trees maybe?

I think they're just crashing into the ground. The combat reports always take me to a bloodstained patch of ground, sometimes without any trees nearby

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
I'm going through Legends mode in a world I just generated, and there's a market named "The Cottage of Distractions".

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Mygna posted:

So when you declare that you take over a site, you can give it a new name:

And I like how half the goblins are cowering in terror as I eviscerate their comrades, while the other half excitedly shouts about how great it is to meet the world-famous Deduk, slayer of goblins, in person.

So if you take over a site, what can you do with it? Can you go full on fortress mode with it? Please tell me that's a thing now. :allears:

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
So are all these new materials like the silks and metals randomly generated or what? I've had different things listed in the silk stockpiles in different worlds, and now my forge has a bunch of metals with weird "[adjective] metal" names, like "translucent metal" and "flickering metal," but there aren't reactions for making these at the smelter

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Oh i c you can actually put a farm down with a yellow warning anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

super fart shooter posted:

So are all these new materials like the silks and metals randomly generated or what? I've had different things listed in the silk stockpiles in different worlds, and now my forge has a bunch of metals with weird "[adjective] metal" names, like "translucent metal" and "flickering metal," but there aren't reactions for making these at the smelter

Yeah, they all have the [DIVINE] tag. Take that as you will.