Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Judge for yourself from other Nausicaan ships. Fair point on the Orions, though - in STO, all their ships are bulbous, rounded, and green.

Vandal class destroyer

Guramba siege destroyer

Scourge class dreadnought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Guramba siege destroyer

The Guramba does a neat little transformation into its siege mode, after which it is fully armed and operational.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Since we're talking about STO, here's the new standard uniforms for all Federation NPCs in the new Season 9.5 patch. The Odyssey and Bortasqu' uniforms were previously only available to players whose fleet starbases had reached a certain level but now they'll be available for all players going forward, with new fleet-unlocked exclusives and new veteran jackets.

Edit: And a few TMP-esque screenshots of the Odyssey Class (Enterprise F).

JFC fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 8, 2014

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Basically Star Trek Online is a game where you bind the spacebar to fire every laser you have and laugh every five minutes at the goofy character you made and yell at people who spent real money to play a cat

I wish Star Trek Online would do another pass at DS9 like they did with the federation spacedock.

It's not god awful or anything, but it's the same as it was at release, meaning a lowpoly mess that does the Way-Too-Big MMO design conceit

Quark's and Ops look alright

Some nerd went AFK sitting in Sisko's chair when i went to take these pics

morn to be wild

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 8, 2014

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

FuturePastNow posted:

The Guramba does a neat little transformation into its siege mode, after which it is fully armed and operational.

????/

Subyng
May 4, 2013
you talk and you talk but you have no GURAMBA

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
The best thing about the TNG episode Parallels is you find out that Klingons give awards for participation.

9th place, come on, alternate Worf.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

armoredgorilla posted:

The best thing about the TNG episode Parallels is you find out that Klingons give awards for participation.

I cannot defeat this Klingon. I can only kill him and take away his good sportsmanship ribbon, and that no longer holds my interest.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

armoredgorilla posted:

Well you figure the field was probably, like, huge. He made it into the Sweet Sixteen!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

armoredgorilla posted:

It makes sense that contestants who fight with honor, win or lose, should be recognized. People who are lovely losers and fight without honor get nothing.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

armoredgorilla posted:

Literally just watched that episode and it was nice to see Kurn get a namedrop.

In Klingon tournaments, sudden death is exactly that.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Gau posted:

Literally just watched that episode and it was nice to see Kurn get a namedrop.

In Klingon tournaments, sudden death is exactly that.

sup TNG binge bud. I just finished up Parallels and jumped over to I, Borg.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

armoredgorilla posted:

It's probably, like, a shame reminder.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
I'm edging toward the end of TNG. I started with the latter half of Season 5, would it be better to go back to the beginning or start on season 3 or 4?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Seasons 1 and 2 are much easier to take if you've spent a few good seasons getting to know the characters. It's really what makes the series, for me at least. The plots in seasons 1 and 2 range from really bad, especially if you're clued into the idea that's been discussed on these forums before about how the show really takes on a weird racist perspective in regard to othering alien races, not to mention predictable and goofy plots. Season 1 basically is just: meet new aliens, they suck, figure out how to untangle the situation, Picard says "Engage!" and that's that.

But TNG, for all it's faults, is really forgivable if you like the characters. Short of Data getting up and repeating the Fourteen Words I'd pretty much watch him or Riker or Picard do whatever, and find a way to forgive how dumb it is and ignore the fact that deep down, I know this is bad in a lot of ways. You're going to go back and watch S1/S2 anyway when you've got nothing left, right? So go for it.

I just finished up doing just that (wrapped around to season 2, which ends on a clip show lmao) and watching Nemesis, which really was the worst of the TNG movies. The direction was at fault most of the time, and it was evident that the writers were doing a lot of the legwork (or really all of the legwork) propping up the movie on the established universe. There were a lot of times where something that already existed could have been used to good effect, but some new thing was made up and kept the plot self-contained to just the movie. Reaching into the developed universe is what builds the world further and makes for fun fan-additions, at the very least. For just one instance, they have Data sing a song at the beginning of the movie so that the B-4 unit could sing it at the end, clueing us into the fact that hey, don't worry, Data's not quite gone yet. The scene before though Riker is talking about when he first met Data and how he was trying to whistle (thanks, writers!). But if the whistling thing had somehow been used at the beginning instead, it would have made for a better bookend with the B-4 unit at the end, and for TNG as a whole. Oh well!

I guess I'm starting DS9 now, after deciding about a year ago to casually watch some of this Star Trek show I barely remember as a casual time-waster (is this how it starts??). I looked into it and I guess it's the same story, seasons 1/2 are weaker than the rest, once people get beards it gets better (why does this happen?!). But I'm gonna slog through regardless, and let the characters grow on me, which hopefully they will.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Oh new DS9 watcher, feel free to report back on your progress. I love seeing people get to know DS9.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Initial impressions after watching episodes one (Emissary) and two:

Not sure how I feel about the "outsider" character, Odo. He's too serious to be the comic relief, like Data, so I'm not sure how to accept him, or what kind of character he'll be. Dax is more interesting, but not as an outsider. I'm not even sure if that kind of character can exist on Star Trek, except for maybe the hologram doctor on Voyager, but I've seen two episodes of that and that's enough for me. Bashir seems more fitting for the lighter, comic stuff, but what else, I dunno. Glad to see O'Brien, of course, can't wait for him to get hosed up whitewater rafting again. I guess he's playing the Geordi "dependable" role. I'm not sure what to think of Kira yet.

Avery Brooks, as I'm sure has been said many times before, has the strangest acting style. At times he just stares straight ahead as he talks. Sometimes when he's shouting he enunciates his words so clearly it's weird. And then, very occasionally, he bursts into a very emotive line, his voice almost changing completely, with a huge smile (like when he sees Jake after the Cardassian attack. JAKE!). I don't get the same kind of charisma from him like one does from Picard or Riker, and that goes for Kira too, but then again, they are a rare few, and it's only the second episode.

I do like the new take on the Ferengi here, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Just finished Voyager, Season 1, episode 5: "The Cloud"

This is the one that gave us "There's coffee in that nebula!" which, in context isn't really as cringeworthy as it sounds. At the very lease, it's definitly not the most cringeworthy line in the episode.

This is also the episode where Neelix appoints himself morale office.

It's a great episode because, like has already happened several times in the series, characters are incredibly critical of these bullshit side missions. Neelix flips out at Janeway, and The Doctor asks Torres "What were we doing in a nebula?! Oh, wait, don't tell me, we were 'investigating'"

Last but not least, Chakotay starts the "Akoochimoya, we are far from the lands of our granfathers, we are far from the bones of our people..." hilarious pseudo native american poo poo in this episode.

I'm pretty sure that "I can teach you how to contact your animal guide" is just a pickup line he uses, because he comes to Janeway with his medicine bundle and says "I've never shown this to anyone before" and then 5 minutes later he says that B'Elonna tried to kill her animal guide. He gets all the ladies to touch his akuna...

Otherwise this episode is boring as poo poo.
There's a part where B'Elonna has to say the word "Nucleogenic" like four times in one sentence and it looks like she's trying really hard not to gently caress up the line. Because like who can remember how to say all this made up poo poo that means nothing.

edit: this was mentioned earlier, but Janeway's animal guide is a little lizard. Foreshadowing, man...

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Zesty Mordant posted:

Avery Brooks, as I'm sure has been said many times before, has the strangest acting style.

That. Isn't. HIS. AC-TING! He just...speaks. That way.

In ree-eeal! life.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Seasons 1 and 2 of DS9 plod along, but you can't skip them. I think the later seasons work better thanks to the slow introduction of all of the characters. Especially characters like Garak, whom you'll think at first is just going be occasional background scenery.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Zesty Mordant posted:

Avery Brooks, as I'm sure has been said many times before, has the strangest acting style.

Yeah, at first he was just strange shouty man, but his style really grew on me over the series especially when he's happy and his voice gets that lyrical lilt to it like he's trying really hard not to burst into song. Then he gets serious and I suddenly remember exactly why out of all the Trek captains he's the one I'd really want on my side in a war.

Season 1 and 2 can be a little slow but there's some real gems in there as well, especially if you like the Bajoran and Cardassian storylines.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Yeah, at first he was just strange shouty man, but his style really grew on me over the series especially when he's happy and his voice gets that lyrical lilt to it like he's trying really hard not to burst into song.

And by the end, he's gone so soft you can barely understand him talking about his pep-pahs.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I had a question about federation ship designs. I thought the whole point of the smaller nacelles on the D was because tech was so advanced they didn't need to be as big as those (comparatively) on the Constitution/Excelsior classes. The Defiant doesn't even have them. Then the Sovereign has massive nacelles, and all the new ships posted here seem to have long ones too. I don't get it. Is it supposed to be a "the audience is used to the shape" thing? The D was around for 7 seasons and a movie and looked way different.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Carnaticum posted:

I had a question about federation ship designs. I thought the whole point of the smaller nacelles on the D was because tech was so advanced they didn't need to be as big as those (comparatively) on the Constitution/Excelsior classes. The Defiant doesn't even have them. Then the Sovereign has massive nacelles, and all the new ships posted here seem to have long ones too. I don't get it. Is it supposed to be a "the audience is used to the shape" thing? The D was around for 7 seasons and a movie and looked way different.
The Defiant had nacelles, they were just kinda flush to the sides of the ship as I recall. There was still the 'two glowy blue bits one on each side' going on there.

It's possible that in most of these cases the nacelles are actually of a fixed size, and that it's the saucer and other poo poo that changes size and shape. I think the Sovereign was notably smaller, or at least less elongated, than the Galaxy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, it was just part of the visual change in direction that came about with the Enterprise-E. But I think the in-universe fanwank explanation is a change in warp technology after the whole 'warp damages the universe' thing was uncovered lead to larger nacelles.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, it was just part of the visual change in direction that came about with the Enterprise-E. But I think the in-universe fanwank explanation is a change in warp technology after the whole 'warp damages the universe' thing was uncovered lead to larger nacelles.

You'd think that theme would be something TNG or one of the series that took place after would address again (because good luck convincing all the warp capable races to go the speed limit) but nope, just a stupid one off episode about pollution in space.

MR DATA, WARP FACTOR 9.5 AND ENGAGE!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

AndyElusive posted:

You'd think that theme would be something TNG or one of the series that took place after would address again (because good luck convincing all the warp capable races to go the speed limit) but nope, just a stupid one off episode about pollution in space.

Voyager's nacelles moved around because of it!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, great, the Intrepid-class. Or, the Smart ForTwo of Starfleet.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Carnaticum posted:

Voyager had dinky little nacelles for what was supposed to be one of the fastest ships in the fleet, and it's a contemporary of the Sovereign.. I don't think there was really ever in-universe explanation for nacelle sizes, it all just comes down to the preferences of who has final say on the ship design in the real world. Hell, there's never even been an explanation of what the blue glowy bits are on modern nacelles. The red bit's the Bussard collector, the warp coils are internal and don't seem to line up with the blue on any of the schematics, I think the blue parts were just added as a case mod by some engine overclocker on the Excelsior and they caught on.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Oh new DS9 watcher, feel free to report back on your progress. I love seeing people get to know DS9.

Yes, yes, what he said.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

AndyElusive posted:

They actually do reference it a few times in TNG, it's just that it's towards the end of the series so there's not a whole lot of opportunity to mention/work it in without being even more hamfisted than usual.

That said I remember reading somewhere that the writers got really sick of it after like the second "Starfleet says it's okay for us to go faster than Warp 5 today" line, and basically wished they hadn't written the episode in the first place.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Has anyone been reading the current IDW comic series? I thought Countdown was pretty meh but I'm really interested in the idea of Q getting involved with the reboot crew, which starts with the issue coming out this week. I'm just curious if it's at all readable.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

They actually do reference it a few times in TNG, it's just that it's towards the end of the series so there's not a whole lot of opportunity to mention/work it in without being even more hamfisted than usual.

That said I remember reading somewhere that the writers got really sick of it after like the second "Starfleet says it's okay for us to go faster than Warp 5 today" line, and basically wished they hadn't written the episode in the first place.

What is it, I think it's in the episode "Pegasus" right after the Picard day scene, where Admiral Exposition was briefing Picard on the situation and tells him "Starfleet is giving you authorization to exceed warp-speed limitations on this one, Jean-Luc!" and Patrick Stewart looks at her and says "Oh, I see", like you can see him trying to act like this is a big deal but it seems more like he's trying to keep from cracking up while saying the line.

The ridiculous thing about it is that it's either a worthless line, or you're undercutting the urgency of a particular episode by having to keep the warp speed numbers low. Since that whole "Warp scale" is basically completely arbitrary within the context of the episode, creating some "cap" on warp speed which can then be removed at will with a few lines is just a waste of time that could otherwise be spent constructively within the episode.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Carnaticum posted:

You're also confusing relative sizes. I mean, the D's Nacelles are HUGE compared to the size of the Constitution/Excelsior class, but the ship is much bigger, so yes, the relative size is smaller. Similarly, the Sovereign is smaller than the Galaxy Class (Enterprise D), and it's nacelles are longer, but much skinnier.

Long ones look faster. Blame Eaves...

I would say that fat ones are better and cite the Galaxy and Defiant, but then I remembered the Connie Refit, so I guess it's a wash...

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FuturePastNow posted:

Seasons 1 and 2 of DS9 plod along, but you can't skip them. I think the later seasons work better thanks to the slow introduction of all of the characters. Especially characters like Garak, whom you'll think at first is just going be occasional background scenery.

It's worth noting Season 1 & 2 in my opinion aren't BAD, but they are still "TNG on a station." That's the biggest weakness. The strongest episodes of both seasons hint at what's to come; stuff like Duet could still technically be a TNG episode with a 30 second re-write, but it worked better there.

As soon as they became fully comfortable with them breaking from TNG's mold, it really clicks together.

That said, even before then the persistent political stuff and Bajorian plots do start hinting at the show's more serialized nature even early on.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
some idiot posted this in the GBS voyager thread:

I just finished Voyager, season1, episode 7: "Eye of the Needle"

Unlike previous episodes, which started out promising and got progressively stupider, this episode began as stupid as possible.

The episode begins with the discovery of a wormhole. Apparently, starfleet sensors can identify a wormhole without identifying any material characteristics of it, because they are all disappointed when they arrive at the wormhole they went out of their way to investigate and find that it is nearly microscopic, possibly "the smallest wormhole on record". Okay that's really dumb, but not as dumb as the conversation they had before realize it was tiny:

Tuvok: "I must point out that there is a 75% chance that the wormhole does not lead to the alpha quadrant"
Janeway: "I could also say that there's a 1 in 4 chance it does! I'll take those odds"

I guess I missed the part where physics dictate that that there is an even chance that that a wormhole will exit in a particular quadrant. I would think that time-space phenomenon would operate independent of arbitrary borders drawn by humans. But whatever.

Just to drive the point home, when they contact a ship through the wormhole, the ship identifies it's coordinates as "Alpha Quadrant"
Because that's a thing that people have ever done. It gets better, because when Voyager replies that they are in the Delta Quadrant, the other ship doesn't believe them. If you announce what quadrant you're in as part of your location, you must be open to the idea of people being in other quadrants.

So this episode starts out really lovely and dumb, but it gets a lot better, unlike it's predecessors. Once all the quadrant bullshit is resolved and all the fake expectations and disappointment are resolved, we get some decent drama.

Kes's hair is finally decent, and she stands up for The Doctor for the first time, and Janeway is skeptical at first,but gives it the ole' Starfleet try.

The last half is really some decent Trek, but you cannot tell from the first half. When they first send the microprobe into the wormhole and it gets stuck, Harry Kim says " it's caught in a gravitational eddy. Because the wormhole is decaying, the eddies are very strong. The probe will not be able to escape" and Janeway says "Lets wait, maybe it will work itself loose". Yes, good job captain, sometimes the laws of physics wear off. Later, they send a signal through the probe, and are disappointed when they don't get a response within seconds. Someone helpfully points out that even if their signal was received, it might take more than a few seconds for someone to even decode it and reply.

Also, when they do receive a reply, they are able to verify that it came from the alpha quadrant. I'm not sure how, since the signal is coming out of the mouth a wormhole that's in the delta quadrant. Later, when they respond, the ship in the delta quadrant is like "how r u broadcasting frum teh delta quadrunt" and it doesn't make any sense, since the signal is emanating from the mouth of a wormhole in the alpha quadrant.

Mostly I think that the writers of the episodes really wanted to hammer home the whole quadrant idea and were just really terrible at everything.

So far, 3 out of 5 episodes of this show have had resets due to time travel. So far, so dumb.

But really, not that bad. I could probably re-edit this into three good episodes...

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kaworu posted:

The ridiculous thing about it is that it's either a worthless line, or you're undercutting the urgency of a particular episode by having to keep the warp speed numbers low. Since that whole "Warp scale" is basically completely arbitrary within the context of the episode, creating some "cap" on warp speed which can then be removed at will with a few lines is just a waste of time that could otherwise be spent constructively within the episode.

Wasn't that limit there in response to the "Space pollution" episode where high warp destroys the environment but low warp is better for it or something hilarious?

Future series were so wise to ignore that ever happened.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I know the Defiant has nacelles that are tucked in, that was my point. Compared to every other ship the nacelles were small. The Ent D had large nacelles compared to smaller ships, but for a ship its size they were small. Sovereign and Galaxy glass were the same length (Sovereign a little longer, I think) but compare nacelles.

In any case, I think

Snak posted:

Blame Eaves...

...is appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Sovereign is a longer ship than the Galaxy. However, the Galaxy is a lot wider and I think can hold more people

• Locked thread