Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Waltzing Along posted:

The Bowser glider is terrible because it blocks your view.

So do those clouds that I keep seeing peeps mention. I stick with the starter parafoil because it's a small profile and still gives the speed bump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
I just got my golden glider. Which means that I've done at least 1000 races. Christ.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
So some people have scratched the surface on hacking Mario Kart 8.

It'd be cool if we can get some custom levels eventually. My apologies for the kotaku link:
http://kotaku.com/modders-begin-hacking-into-mario-kart-8-1600841670

Give me full camera control in Mario Kart TV and I'm happy!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Spectacle Rock posted:

So some people have scratched the surface on hacking Mario Kart 8.

It'd be cool if we can get some custom levels eventually. My apologies for the kotaku link:
http://kotaku.com/modders-begin-hacking-into-mario-kart-8-1600841670

Give me full camera control in Mario Kart TV and I'm happy!

Well, it was sorta fun while it lasted.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Well, it was sorta fun while it lasted.

The people who are doing this have said they will not release anything in such a way that it lets people cheat online. They just want to do modding.

However, as we all know, if these guys don't do it, someone else will...

We'll be fine just stick to racing with trustworthy goons.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Spectacle Rock posted:

The people who are doing this have said they will not release anything in such a way that it lets people cheat online. They just want to do modding.

However, as we all know, if these guys don't do it, someone else will...

We'll be fine just stick to racing with trustworthy goons.

The problem is I am not convinced that people haven't already figured out ways to cheat. I see it chalked up to lag but I've seen things happen while in spectator mode that are the same things people complain about while racing. How can I be seeing lag in spectator mode? If someone gets hit with red shells in spectator mode it should have an effect.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Waltzing Along posted:

The problem is I am not convinced that people haven't already figured out ways to cheat. I see it chalked up to lag but I've seen things happen while in spectator mode that are the same things people complain about while racing. How can I be seeing lag in spectator mode? If someone gets hit with red shells in spectator mode it should have an effect.

How can you not be seeing lag in spectator mode? You're a network peer like any other. And a low priority one at that.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

pokeyman posted:

How can you not be seeing lag in spectator mode? You're a network peer like any other. And a low priority one at that.

Why would you see lag in spectator mode? when you are playing, sure, I can get that. But if you are just watching the race, then it should be from the servers perspective and it shouldn't be showing lag bugs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Copper Vein posted:

Is there another layer of hidden stats that I haven't seen yet?
Yeah, how cool they look.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Waltzing Along posted:

Why would you see lag in spectator mode? when you are playing, sure, I can get that. But if you are just watching the race, then it should be from the servers perspective and it shouldn't be showing lag bugs.

Yeah, so you're still seeing the lag from the various peers to the server. Just because you're not actively participating doesn't mean everyone else's connection (and your own) is suddenly perfect.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

The following is obviously conjecture because I have no idea how Mario Kart 8 is implemented. That said, here's my guess.

From my experience it seems like lag is handled with a combination of authoritative updates (probably directly from the other players) and estimation (where do we expect that player to have gone since their last authoritative update). Even if there is a central server involved that keeps The One True Record of What Happened During The Race (and I doubt there is; Mario Kart Wii was just peer-to-peer), your console will be estimating what happens between authoritative updates relayed from the server. Normally this works great, but at certain important points in time (such as a potential intersection of a shell and a kart), a just-wrong estimate ends up needing a massive correction. This is assuming decently low latency, things obviously go to complete poo poo when lag gets real bad.

What might give a more seamless spectating experience is if the "live" spectating was actually a delayed replay from some central server. In that case you can guide the estimation and you won't see people getting un-hit with shells or wildly driving into a wall only to reappear driving a perfect line through the next corner.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Did everyone know that using the Super Horn will make the giant pendulums on Tick Tock Clock bend forward out of your way as though they're made of rubber?

:stare:

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

This game is awesome but for some reason it really bugs me that we have so many baby characters and pink metal Peach instead of Birdo, Bowser Jr. or Kamek or something :smith:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

dr.acula posted:

This game is awesome but for some reason it really bugs me that we have so many baby characters and pink metal Peach instead of Birdo, Bowser Jr. or Kamek or something :smith:

I was really surprised we didn't see Kamek or Bowser Jr of all characters. In all other MK games I rolled the baby characters but they are absolutely useless in this iteration.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Regy Rusty posted:

Did everyone know that using the Super Horn will make the giant pendulums on Tick Tock Clock bend forward out of your way as though they're made of rubber?

:stare:

Goddamn, is there anything the Super Horn CAN'T wreck?

Would even using a star get the pendulums out of your way?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

HJE-Cobra posted:

Goddamn, is there anything the Super Horn CAN'T wreck?

Would even using a star get the pendulums out of your way?

Yeah stars move the pendulums.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

So I am pretty bad at this game what combination of character/kart can I use to get me a good top speed but turning that is not poo poo? I like the heavyweights but when using bikes and stuff I often fly off ledges when I try to corner stuff.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Evil Canadian posted:

So I am pretty bad at this game what combination of character/kart can I use to get me a good top speed but turning that is not poo poo? I like the heavyweights but when using bikes and stuff I often fly off ledges when I try to corner stuff.

Heavyweight with an inside drifting bike sounds like it's right up your alley.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000
Well, I three-starred everything and beat all the staff ghosts tonight and gave the gold kart+gold wheels combo a spin online... And promptly went back to Circuit Special +Slicks. For such a small stat difference, that combo was absolutely killing me!

Also, more people need to be Waluigi. I don't want them to drop him from the next one, again!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mobius posted:

Also, more people need to be Waluigi. I don't want them to drop him from the next one, again!

I don't know why Waluigi's spot is threatened, they should drop all the lovely baby characters and there will be plenty of space.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
So I joined a late-night Worldwide room tonight and Jesus H:

These guys make 150cc feel like a wet fart in comparison.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

How many points did you get for that win?

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

So I joined a late-night Worldwide room tonight and Jesus H:

These guys make 150cc feel like a wet fart in comparison.

Having joined Maple Leaf online, I can comfirm this not the case, and Maple Leaf is still the best at Mario Kart.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Ometeotl posted:

How many points did you get for that win?

Roughly 40, believe it or not.

Champeenship posted:

Having joined Maple Leaf online, I can comfirm this not the case, and Maple Leaf is still the best at Mario Kart.

Oh, stop it :kimchi:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I just broke into the 5000's too and noticed I've been getting many higher level players. Lately, I've been the lowest in the room. Even coming in 11th nets points. Coming in first is often 35+. It rules.

What doesn't rule is running into someone who has apparently maxed out the VR: it stops at 9999 this time. He came in first and got +0.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I think I might be just about to move up a tier or something (I'm a lowly 2625), because I keep ending up one of the top two players in a room. When I've spent two laps in first without being fired on by shells, I start waiting for "A communication error has occurred" to explain things.

...it would be nice to move up.

edit: Is the Goonvitational kinda abandoned the last couple days, or is it just me?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

pokeyman posted:

I think I might be just about to move up a tier or something (I'm a lowly 2625), because I keep ending up one of the top two players in a room. When I've spent two laps in first without being fired on by shells, I start waiting for "A communication error has occurred" to explain things.

...it would be nice to move up.

edit: Is the Goonvitational kinda abandoned the last couple days, or is it just me?

I was there a few days ago when I was still playing the game actively to unlock everything. It had me and two other goons there, and the games were few, due to the lack of fun-factor between fewer players. I think it would be a good idea if people were to post in this thread if a game is currently occurring in Goonvitational, as this thread seems to be more actively available and more often posted in the Goonvitational thread directly.

Then again, the moderators may have a different opinion than I do on the subject.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOWaFgXglGg

My sole first when racing with Maple Leaf, which were some great races, by the way. Passing everyone around the blue shell was one of those 'woah poo poo I'm first now' moments.

edit: Also, there was a Wario Mii at the beginning of our races named 'DohIMissed' that I remember facing like a few days after the game was released. Seeing the same mii like that was pretty mind-blowing.

Champeenship fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jul 8, 2014

Zertoss
Apr 29, 2009

enojy posted:

I just broke into the 5000's too and noticed I've been getting many higher level players. Lately, I've been the lowest in the room. Even coming in 11th nets points. Coming in first is often 35+. It rules.

What doesn't rule is running into someone who has apparently maxed out the VR: it stops at 9999 this time. He came in first and got +0.

I just got into the 4000s and ran into some Japanese players with their scores maxed playing 150cc Frantic mode. Those assholes would stop at the first set of items, get a good weapon and then go catch up, single someone out and gently caress their poo poo up. One of them just sat next to me with a Starman going and just swerved over and hit me every time I started moving again. He lost a ton of points every single race, but I guess there's not much else to do once you've maxed out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Evil Canadian posted:

Generally speaking, if you want decent high speed but also decent handling, the best thing to do is pick one of the average weight characters and give them parts that improve their speed, instead of trying to improve a heavyweight's handling. There's way more parts that give good high speed than there are parts that give good handling, and there are no parts that improve both handling and traction.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man the Staff Ghost on Yoshi Valley takes the worst route imaginable. I kept screwing up the mushroom shortcut and driving on the grass and I still beat it handily on my first try.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Regy Rusty posted:

Man the Staff Ghost on Yoshi Valley takes the worst route imaginable. I kept screwing up the mushroom shortcut and driving on the grass and I still beat it handily on my first try.

Staff ghosts in this version seem to be a little worse than usual. Was able to beat most of them on my first attempt

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DarthBlingBling posted:

Staff ghosts in this version seem to be a little worse than usual. Was able to beat most of them on my first attempt

Oh well aside from that one I find them really hard.

Still, only got two left to go!

Absoloote
Jul 3, 2014
I'd like to shake the hand of whoever discovered the deathstare. That thing even made it onto Fox news. Although I'm sure they just wanted to infer that games were encouraging reckless drivers.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh well aside from that one I find them really hard.

Still, only got two left to go!

The Yoshi's Valley ghost basically takes a different route on each lap, which I kinda expected when I did it earlier. I didn't even need mushrooms to beat it.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
The ghosts are weird. Some are trivially easy to beat, others are a lesson in frustration. Especially Morton on dry bones desert and pink gold peach on rainbow road.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The ghosts like to show off all the different paths in a course if there are multiple.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

DarthBlingBling posted:

Same here, they are really weird. Like, the staff ghost on Mount Warrio does not use a shroom for the shortcut right before the finish, wtf?

sayonara chainsaw
Sep 27, 2013
The time trials ghosts are way too easy except for Rainbow Road, most likely so everyone can get the stamps without much hassle.

Once I reached 5000 points online, I started placing below 8th often because everyone in the pack is a heavyweight and I get sandwiched into walls and get stuck in corners/offroad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Maple Leaf posted:

Roughly 40, believe it or not.

Oh, stop it :kimchi:

Mmmmmmmmm...I don't think I've raced you before. I'm not 100% convinced you're the best...yet. :getin:

• Locked thread