Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?
Once you get all the resources/tech/etc you can just micromanage and tax the poo poo out of the biggest of your planets. All the private money is based on total population and goes into the big common private fund. You tax the planets individually, but all your state money comes out of that fund. Maintenance, state-building and the stock market crash event are ways money disappears. Let the private fund keep a huge stockpile, they don't lose money randomly once you get too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

A good place to start is to make a custom game with these settings:

Custom Game as Standard Empire ->
Galaxy Screen: Expansion = Prewarp, Pirates = Very Few, Pirate Strength = Very Weak, Pirates do not Respawn = yes
Your Empire Screen: Tech Level = Prewarp
Victory Conditions Screen: Disable 'Shadow Story Events'

You'll have a ton of time at the beginning to get a feel on how it works with a pre-warp start.

I'd recommend for starters, go into the Empire Policy screen, set Research, Ship Design, and Taxes to 'Fully Automated', and everything else either to 'Suggest' where possible, or 'Manual' where not. Don't worry about the Research being automated, you can manually override it as you see fit. The first thing you need to build is a Space Port, then a couple of Exploration Ships to go out and explore the system. You'll want to build at least an Energy Research Base too, once you get a chance. Your first goal as a Pre-warp empire is to discover Warp technology (it will be in a site in your starting system), then research it ASAP. Meanwhile, build a Construction ship or two, and start setting up mining stations on sources of key materials.

Key materials to be on the look out for are: Steel, Lead, Iron, Gold, Chromium, Polymer, Carbon Fibre, Silicon, and Hydrogen. These are needed to build basic components for everything, so having a good supply is important. Casion you will need too, for fuel.

If you don't have it, I highly recommend at least using the Das Chrome mod, as it will color Resources by their necessity.
Light Grey = Critical Resources, the ones mentioned above
Dark Grey = Less important Resources, but needed for weapons and higher end engines/shields.
Orange = Luxury Resources, stuff to make your people happy.
Yellow = Bonus Resources, these give your colonies huge bonuses if you have them. Very rare.

As far as playing a defensive + research oriented game, yeah you can do this, just make sure you pick a race and government that's well suited for it! You can't just turtle in your home system of course, but you can definitely do well by avoiding war and expanding and researching. Just be ready in case some of your neighbors decide they don't like you!

Prewarp is the best because you can understand things like fuel and getting resources that you need, standard games are just a terrible mess where the AI does poo poo you dont even know about. The second you get the standard hyperdrive your ships decide the entire galaxy is your empire and you get to watch as ships and stations just get destroyed because someone built them on the other side of the loving galaxy.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dryb posted:

Let the private fund keep a huge stockpile, they don't lose money randomly once you get too high.

A fundamental principle of economic games like this is the possibility that if you do too well, your treasury will roll over and become negative. :colbert:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kilroy posted:

Just to add, if you're going to do this, to also change the default tax policy as well. I go with <200k=none, 200K-2M=none, >2M=low to start. The default seems to be high, for the highest tier.

Keeping taxes low early on is essential, as it can mean the difference between a population of 4 billion, and one of 8 billion, after a decade or so. Naturally the larger your population, the larger your economy and tax base.

Wait, how do I change tax policy? This sounds like exactly what I need but I can't find it in Empire Settings.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Phlegmish posted:

Wait, how do I change tax policy? This sounds like exactly what I need but I can't find it in Empire Settings.
It's in the empire policy screen, somewhere in the middle.

It would be nice to have a fourth entry there, like e.g. population > 10 billion or something. 2 billion isn't really enough to want to start taxing that much yet, but it's the highest setting.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Quoting this post from Grey Hunter's LP, because I don't want to spoil too much of the Shakturi thing, even if it's all out there.

nimby posted:

Just design a super-boarding fleet and steal all the Shakturi advanced ships, then disassemble those for tech.

So, I did this. In fact, I did this to the Death of Worlds (one of the shakturi world destroyers), after it had finished murdering some 2000m of my citizens, and it didn't end the glorious way I had iintended. The shakturi had demolished some three or four of my colonies at that point, while losing the overall battle against the guardians and the human-kiadian-securan alliance. For some reason, no-one in the entire galaxy except a couple of tiny rump-states sided with the Shakturi, so they were totally outnumbered and losing the war rapidly- even if their world destroyers were apparently tearing up my systems.

Like I said, I captured one of them, and wasted no time in sending it towards the Shakturi home system. At this point, they only had some 3 colonies left, and in short turn I destroyed them with their own weapon, one after the other, leaving the capital for last. Now, usually when you invade and capture the last Shakturi system, you get a prompt from the Guardians telling you that the great evil has been vanquished (or something), and then they give you all their ships and techs. Not so much this time around.

For some reason, me obliterating the Shakturi world didn't set off the winning trigger, and the Guardians didn't dissolve and gift you their stuff like they're supposed to. Instead, without the evenly matched Shakturi around, they became a horrible galaxy conquering monster that expanded rapidly in every direction- not quite as bad, but twice as effective as the Shakturi had ever been. I thought I saved the galaxy, but really, I just handed it on a silver platter to our new robotic overlords :(

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Bohemian Nights posted:

I just handed it on a silver platter to our new robotic overlords :(

This is why you choose the 'green' ending and merge with the synthetics in the hope of a brighter future of harmony.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
This game is awesome, it's my new addiction!

There is a really great breakdown of resource extraction on the Matrix Games Forum that is worth reading.

Notable points:
-With vanilla extractors (no research), you only need 4 mining/lux extractors to hit the extraction cap. 2 for gas extractors.
-Mining "ticks" are every 6 days
-Max extraction rate is 100 units per tick for minerals and luxuries, and 400 for gasses. Don't be dumb, always max your extraction.
-Extraction rate x Resource Quality = total number of resources obtained per tick.
-Cargo hold value on bases is a PER RESOURCE number, not a total. This means that if you put 10000 cargo on a gas miner, it can hold 10000 units of each type of resource available at its location (technically, 10k minus the small stockpile of units it keeps on hand for on the fly retrofits).
-Resupply ships suck balls. Ships do not get the per resource cargo that bases do.
-Energy-to-fuel device is also bad, as you cannot expand the fuel storage (static 20k).

Huge exploit:
-You can only have one mining base per stellar body, but you can have infinite star bases per stellar body. Therefore, if you design a small star base to mimic a mining base, you can have nearly unlimited numbers of mining bases on one stellar body- each of which has their own independent extraction/storage rates. I have not tested this, but if it works, expect it to be patched in the next update .

Hope this helps!

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Omniblivion posted:

This game is awesome, it's my new addiction!

There is a really great breakdown of resource extraction on the Matrix Games Forum that is worth reading.

Notable points:
-With vanilla extractors (no research), you only need 4 mining/lux extractors to hit the extraction cap. 2 for gas extractors.
-Mining "ticks" are every 6 days
-Max extraction rate is 100 units per tick for minerals and luxuries, and 400 for gasses. Don't be dumb, always max your extraction.
-Extraction rate x Resource Quality = total number of resources obtained per tick.
-Cargo hold value on bases is a PER RESOURCE number, not a total. This means that if you put 10000 cargo on a gas miner, it can hold 10000 units of each type of resource available at its location (technically, 10k minus the small stockpile of units it keeps on hand for on the fly retrofits).
-Resupply ships suck balls. Ships do not get the per resource cargo that bases do.
-Energy-to-fuel device is also bad, as you cannot expand the fuel storage (static 20k).

Huge exploit:
-You can only have one mining base per stellar body, but you can have infinite star bases per stellar body. Therefore, if you design a small star base to mimic a mining base, you can have nearly unlimited numbers of mining bases on one stellar body- each of which has their own independent extraction/storage rates. I have not tested this, but if it works, expect it to be patched in the next update .

Hope this helps!

You generally want to replace the mining bases with a custom starbase with enough defenses. I made a one sized fits all base with extractors for everything that could withstand 2-3 ships attacking it and i generally never have to worry bout pirates and people attacking my bases. You can also build mining bases on asteroids so you can stick a base on that iridium roid and mine it forever.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Why would you make one combined star base, rather than two separate gas and mineral miners? Assuming you're not doing the exploity stacking thing, you might as well have two.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Less micro for updating the design at the cost of like 200 extra credits maint.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Not sure what example screenshot you looked at but they are very different shades of grey in the game. It's very easy to tell the difference between the two.

The ones on the right side are the different colors for resources.

when its ingame on the info screen its hard to tell, as the screen its self is a shade of black and grey

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Stevefin posted:

when its ingame on the info screen its hard to tell, as the screen its self is a shade of black and grey

Go into the images/ui/resources folder for the mod, open up each of the light grey resources and paintbucket the background green or your favorite color. Should take you about 3 minutes total at worst. That's another nice thing about the game, modding it is super straight forward and easy.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Some empire just got axed by 'independent' what does that mean? they were my neighbors and a military dictatorship haha did they get hit by the games golden horde? I already beefed up my military though i keep losing some ships to pirate skirmishes.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Arghy posted:

Some empire just got axed by 'independent' what does that mean? they were my neighbors and a military dictatorship haha did they get hit by the games golden horde? I already beefed up my military though i keep losing some ships to pirate skirmishes.

I've seen that happen a couple times. I'm almost 100% sure that's what the message will say if the last colony of an empire is glassed by Silvermists. I've also seen it before when there were none around and my theory has been that it's an independent colony-turned-empire that did the axing. Never been able to prove it though.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Can AI empires go into debt and disband? they only had 1 colony and they were badly in debt.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Arghy posted:

Can AI empires go into debt and disband? they only had 1 colony and they were badly in debt.

They can, just like you can, though does take some time as the AI atleast knows what it can and can't afford before it builds it

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Playing Boskara feels like cheating. Being best friends with Sluken, Gizureans and the Haakonish who follow the way of Darkness, I get to invade whatever empire I wish. The only guys strong enough to stop my firestorm ships are on my side! Plus I traded the Sluken for their Starburner engines, good God are they fast.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I wish there was some concept of having colonies living on constructed stations, eventually creating things like an Orbital. Okay okay, I just want to play as The Culture. Is that so wrong?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I honestly have no clue how I'm going to salvage my current game with this loving 1k firepower pirate capital ship just sitting in my home system. Every half-year they'll just cancel the protection agreement and wreck some poo poo before I beg them to stop by paying them off at an even steeper rate.

:negative:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Thats what the ingame editor is for, in my game i woke up the evil dudes and my economy was tanking so i gave myself 400k credits to stabilize my economy--it turns out my stations were all loving retrofitting at the same time choking my civ traffic. I went from going into debt to 50k revenue once the stations retrofitted.

How the hell does the AI stream line their research so much? they got loving 800 size ships and i got way more research then them and only 400 sized ships.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Less Fat Luke posted:

I wish there was some concept of having colonies living on constructed stations, eventually creating things like an Orbital. Okay okay, I just want to play as The Culture. Is that so wrong?
Wouldnt that mean that you can never ever disable ship automation?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Nektu posted:

Wouldnt that mean that you can never ever disable ship automation?
Maybe! That could be a cool constraint to play with in that style.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Less Fat Luke posted:

Strangely, playing as a pirate faction is likely the closest you can get.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Less Fat Luke posted:

I dunno if you could do it in the engine very easily, but I'd loving love to build ringworlds or dyson spheres.

You could do it in Space Empires IV!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Question about resource shortages: what do I if my stations are constantly halting construction because they're short of two or three things? I don't know if anyone can really answer without seeing exact numbers and such, but even my built up colonies seems to be having lots of issues with Gold and Aculon in particular. I have tons of sources of them throughout my empire, so is the problem just that my civilians can't move it fast enough?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

First thing is to figure out if you are actually mining enough of the stuff or not. See how much total you have sitting around, including on the mining stations. If you aren't mining enough, you might need to look at your mining station designs, see this link: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3649225
Or you might just need even more sources than you already have.

If you're mining the stuff fast enough, you might need to simply increase the cargo space at your stations. Or, you might need to increase the cargo space of your mining stations. You have to watch the cargo holds and try and figure out where the bottleneck is.

If the problem boils down to simply not having enough freighters moving stuff ... well, I'm not really clear on what the best approach to solving that is, hopefully someone else can chime in.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

My empire is also spread out as all hell, I guess I should go make sure there's as many local sources as possible.

I've been really enjoying games as the Ackdari, but I never seem to start even remotely near any Aculon, and I need it for those sweet, sweet engines.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
If you're having pirate problems that can definitely also slow cargo throughput. Even if you're not losing them, if enough freighters are constantly fleeing then it can trigger shortages if their shipments are delayed - that might be another angle to attack the problem from.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

You can also pay for pirates to smuggle things for you of course, but I've had very little luck in general getting much out of them. I guess it just depends on if they have access to excess of that resource or not.

Another interesting thing from that link was the idea of putting gas miners onto warships to refuel instead of using stations. Gonna have to mess around with that later and see how it works out.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
On the subject of gas/mineral mining, is there any reason you can't just use a single gas/mining/luxury combo base as a one size fits all base for your mining needs?

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

NatasDog posted:

On the subject of gas/mineral mining, is there any reason you can't just use a single gas/mining/luxury combo base as a one size fits all base for your mining needs?

You could but Constructor ships on auto or given orders from the Expansion Planner always build gas or mining stations as appropriate for the target planet so unless you're always manually ordering builds from the right-click menu you're not saving yourself any time or convenience, and additionally your combo stations are going to always have one type of unused extractor inflating their maintenance costs.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

If there's Gas and regular resources on a single planet/asteroid, will they automatically build both types of mining stations? Annoyingly I've noticed the button on the lower left doesn't give you both options, just one or the other.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

If there's Gas and regular resources on a single planet/asteroid, will they automatically build both types of mining stations? Annoyingly I've noticed the button on the lower left doesn't give you both options, just one or the other.

Oddly enough, you can't have gas and mining resources on the same planet. The editor won't even let it happen. They can have both gas and luxury resources, and the default mining and gas stations have luxury harvesting bits on them.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Question about resource shortages: what do I if my stations are constantly halting construction because they're short of two or three things? I don't know if anyone can really answer without seeing exact numbers and such, but even my built up colonies seems to be having lots of issues with Gold and Aculon in particular. I have tons of sources of them throughout my empire, so is the problem just that my civilians can't move it fast enough?

On top of the items already suggested, try setting up your space ports in regions.

Example: "Capital Region" has one Large Space Port (home world) with 5 surrounding small space ports (first 5 colonies). I then have an "Expansion Region" with one Large Space Port (regional capital) with an additional 5 surrounding small space ports at the other 5 colonies.

The NPC Private Sector will try to fill stations up with materials, so if you have a bunch of large space ports with a lot of space, then all of them will be low on materials. If you centralize a few larger ports, then you'll have less of this issue. Try to also have at least a combined 200% output of all strategic resources per region. I'm ballparking this number, but that's what I usually shoot for and only have the rare resource shortage that is just waiting on the NPCs to shuffle stuff around.

Oh, also, be sure that your private sector ships have upgraded hyperdrives and enough power to fully utilize them...

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Omniblivion posted:

On top of the items already suggested, try setting up your space ports in regions.

Example: "Capital Region" has one Large Space Port (home world) with 5 surrounding small space ports (first 5 colonies). I then have an "Expansion Region" with one Large Space Port (regional capital) with an additional 5 surrounding small space ports at the other 5 colonies.

The NPC Private Sector will try to fill stations up with materials, so if you have a bunch of large space ports with a lot of space, then all of them will be low on materials. If you centralize a few larger ports, then you'll have less of this issue. Try to also have at least a combined 200% output of all strategic resources per region. I'm ballparking this number, but that's what I usually shoot for and only have the rare resource shortage that is just waiting on the NPCs to shuffle stuff around.

Oh, also, be sure that your private sector ships have upgraded hyperdrives and enough power to fully utilize them...

Alternatively you could just only build spaceports in/over places that need them, and not over every colony you have. You can get the commerce and approval bonuses by putting commerce centers and medical/recreational modules on your defensive bases instead. Saves you a ton of cash and you'll have less of a resource headache!

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

So for some reason during my last game(restarting it hehe) my scouts would only just stop at a system and not fully explore it. They explored 12 systems but didn't stop to scan a single goddamn planet, later when it didn't matter they went back and scanned all the systems.

Goddamn the elder races are OP as poo poo, the 2 lizard dudes and the securans just loving expand like crazy--i though the yellow insects where strong until i discovered the securans and the Xhue or whatever their called and holy gently caress 15+ colonies when everyone else was struggling with 2-3 and those little happy lizards right behind them at 8.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Arghy posted:

So for some reason during my last game(restarting it hehe) my scouts would only just stop at a system and not fully explore it. They explored 12 systems but didn't stop to scan a single goddamn planet, later when it didn't matter they went back and scanned all the systems.

Goddamn the elder races are OP as poo poo, the 2 lizard dudes and the securans just loving expand like crazy--i though the yellow insects where strong until i discovered the securans and the Xhue or whatever their called and holy gently caress 15+ colonies when everyone else was struggling with 2-3 and those little happy lizards right behind them at 8.

Exploration ships have different missions, some explore (just enter systems, then move on) others survey the planets themselves.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
It's funny, the only thing that stops me from really enjoying this game is, ironically, the ship design system. I like having a lot of choices, but it's a pain in the rear end to set up all of my ships, upgrade them as tech comes online, and deal with the foibles of optimized mining stations and the like.

Honestly I would much prefer this game if ship design were more like Sword of the Stars where I could just load components into slots instead of having to design everything from the ground up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Dirk the Average posted:

It's funny, the only thing that stops me from really enjoying this game is, ironically, the ship design system. I like having a lot of choices, but it's a pain in the rear end to set up all of my ships, upgrade them as tech comes online, and deal with the foibles of optimized mining stations and the like.

Honestly I would much prefer this game if ship design were more like Sword of the Stars where I could just load components into slots instead of having to design everything from the ground up.

You can just let the game handle that and create specialized ships where needed. That's how you should be doing it anyways. The game is fully capable of handling ship design on its own. Trying to handle ship design yourself is an exercise in futility given how efficient it is at making ships to fulfill your baseline needs.

Speaking of specialized ships, I had an idea for a neat way to cross the galaxy early on. I was considering making a bunch of fuel dump stations. Nothing but the bare essentials, a cargo bay, and if it's useful a gas collector. Pretty sure you don't need power to dock and refuel, so you could just have a bunch of defenseless low maintenance stations hanging out in dead space to act as jump points for your shorter range vessels. The only downside is that you'd need a ton of gas collectors to fill them up. It'd probably generate a fair amount of cash too.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 13, 2014

• Locked thread