Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Alereon posted:

Why do you care about the accuracy of the price they claimed to pay for lunch? Why did they tell you how much they spent on lunch? Unless they're filing a false expense report for reimbursement it sounds like they were just trying to make conversation and it doesn't really hurt to indulge them.

I would recommend the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" to everyone. The 1936 version is available for free online, if you aren't able to tell which parts are outdated (particularly those about gender roles in the workplace), you should probably just buy the updated version.

But he was wrong!!!!!!!

In seriousness, I can see where MC Fruit Stripe is coming from, though I respond to people like that by taking great pleasure in talking with people who are full of poo poo, and don't yet know that I know they are full of poo poo. Just turn the conversation into a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Just one up them and see how long you can get them going for.

"Oh, $30 is pretty expensive I guess, but I spent $40 on dinner since I got two appetizers AND a main course"

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
They were trying to complain about California prices in order to come across as superior, so they said their sandwich, chips, drink and cookie cost $30. No it well didn't, so there's that.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

They were trying to complain about California prices in order to come across as superior, so they said their sandwich, chips, drink and cookie cost $30. No it well didn't, so there's that.

Who would consider them better? I consider them morons if they paid that much out of pocket. I actually am from California

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

skooma512 posted:

Who would consider them better? I consider them morons if they paid that much out of pocket. I actually am from California

Yeah, I'm pretty baffled as to where they would go to spend that kind of money on that little amount of food. I just went to Erik's Deli, which isn't the cheapest place for a sandwich and only paid about $7.50 for a sandwich (I don't drink soda and Chips/Cookie are a shitload of unneccesary calories. Even with those I'd imagine it'd be under :10bux:). This is in the Bay Area.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

TWBalls posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty baffled as to where they would go to spend that kind of money on that little amount of food. I just went to Erik's Deli, which isn't the cheapest place for a sandwich and only paid about $7.50 for a sandwich (I don't drink soda and Chips/Cookie are a shitload of unneccesary calories. Even with those I'd imagine it'd be under :10bux:). This is in the Bay Area.

Maybe their drink was a martini.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I count it as a bit of a win when I manage to get a decent lunch in an expensive area for not a huge amount of cash. I normally spend under £4 on lunch in central London unless I've specifically wanted to go to Five Guys or whatever.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

How many lunch beers can you have for 30 dollars?

As someone who lives very far from a southern border of the USA, man, I wouldn't go to a sandwhich shop if I was in SoCal.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Rawrbomb posted:

How many lunch beers can you have for 30 dollars?

I'm aware of the context of this comment, but that's the wrong question. The right question is, "how many lunch beers can you put away in 30 minutes?"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
One of the executive assistants learned today that if you use an MFC's scan to email function and enter your own email address incorrectly you will not receive the scan.

It's like that old Charles Babbage quote:

"On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

It's like that old Charles Babbage quote:

"On two occasions I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

1864. That's the year that the computer janitor/black magic profession was born. I wish I had the ability to call an idiot an idiot in such a nice way.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Not pissing me off: being able to hand off everything to the new guys without saying a word and a "short-timer - I don't give a gently caress anymore" smile. Team Lead has jokingly asked me if I wanted to reconsider my decision to transfer and we both started laughing after a second. He's not looking forward to next week since one guy is so lazy he won't do a drat thing unless specifically told to do it in writing, and the other is almost completely clueless when it comes to computers. Both are in their 50's, and the majority of their multiple years of DoD contracting experience has been handling phone calls and writing up helpdesk tickets. Both of them were team leads in their previous positions but they never actually did anything with hardware, and one month of coaching them hasn't been near enough time to bring them along.

Fortunately a brand new guy just started last week, and he has multiple years of helpdesk and desktop support experience - a little younger than me, but it seems like he knows his stuff. I have a feeling the team lead is going to toss everything in his direction once I'm gone and pray that the poor guy doesn't get overwhelmed.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

He'll be ok. That was me two years ago. Working the helpdesk with one woman in her 50s who knew nothing about computers and got moved to the helpdesk because her position disappeared but she'd been with the company forever and they didn't want to get rid of her. Then I moved up and now they have four people instead of two and I frequently hear their manager complaining about having to cover the phones because who the gently caress knows why four people can't handle it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
In a sign that everything is perfect in the world and all our problems are solved, at the whim of "Fitness and Health Coordinator", IT was forced to push out a new desktop wallpaper to everyone in the company. The image is one of those word bubbles with a dozen or so different exercises shaped around someone doing a pushup.
According to people on the help desk, they were barraged by calls about this morning because everyone hates the image, since its really distracting and looks terrible, and you can't remove it unless you have local admin rights. When the picture was rolled out, there was an email that said "Contact us with feedback about the image!", so a help desker did and said that lots of people were calling about it. The Fitness person got butthurt about this and went crying to management, who then dumped a ton a poo poo on the help desk person.

Good reminder that when people say they want feedback, they only want things they want to hear.

*corrected image to wallpaper to solve confusion

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 8, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CitizenKain posted:

In a sign that everything is perfect in the world and all our problems are solved, at the whim of "Fitness and Health Coordinator", IT was forced to push out a new desktop image to everyone in the company. The image is one of those word bubbles with a dozen or so different exercises shaped around someone doing a pushup.
According to people on the help desk, they were barraged by calls about this morning because everyone hates the image, since its really distracting and looks terrible, and you can't remove it unless you have local admin rights. When the picture was rolled out, there was an email that said "Contact us with feedback about the image!", so a help desker did and said that lots of people were calling about it. The Fitness person got butthurt about this and went crying to management, who then dumped a ton a poo poo on the help desk person.

Good reminder that when people say they want feedback, they only want things they want to hear.

So what was their gripe? How dare you forward feedback?

mewse
May 2, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

So today I learned that there literally is a conspiracy against me by my Boss and at least two coworkers. I can't even express how I feel at this point.

In my first pro IT job I got this treatment and it sucked. A friend warned me they were planning to get rid of me and I was really upset. My boss was the shut-in douchebag type that you describe, too.

Looking back I'm glad I was out, the company basically disintegrated afterwards. Get your resume together and don't drink too much, there are much more positive work environments out there.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Sickening posted:

I'm not really sure, my friend isn't great at using tact, but I have a feeling the Fitness person took it a personal insult.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
When you said desktop image, I thought you meant you'd re-imaged every PC at the behest of someone who was not "our security lead who just found a gaping hole in our security" - realized you just meant an image as in wallpaper. Whew.

Sickening posted:

"Hi this is Mark from the helpdesk - just wanted to give you a heads up that I've spent half of my day fielding calls about your wallpaper."

J
Jun 10, 2001

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

When you said desktop image, I thought you meant you'd re-imaged every PC at the behest of someone who was not "our security lead who just found a gaping hole in our security" - realized you just meant an image as in wallpaper. Whew.

Yeah I was initially thinking the same thing. "drat, this lead fitness guy has a hell of a lot of clout, what sort of lovely fitness app did they have to include in this build?"

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Sorry about the confusion on that, long boring day.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

CitizenKain posted:

Sorry about the confusion on that, long boring day.
Nah no worries, the same word which means two different things.

Hell, within the last week I narrowly avoided going 12 rounds in an argument over how snapshots work with a DBA. At the last minute I realized that as a DBA, he's talking about SQL snapshots whereas I'm talking about VMware snapshots. Realized it just before it got to the "no YOU'RE wrong" section of the conversation.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
With DickTraumas, and blackswordca (and that other dude who stopped posting a few years ago) stories, I find it hard to believe that ya'll jumped all over Cobra like that.
I don't see you getting in on Blackswordca " Maybe the problem is YOU, buddy. Maybe you should just TALK to your boss, GOSH."

Bravo on escaping, Blackswordca. Rah Rah!"

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

TWBalls posted:

Bay area deli chat: Deli Board is the greatest place that exists. However, the sandwiches are like $14. Even then, soup, sandwich, and drink would not be more than $20.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Johnny Aztec posted:

With DickTraumas, and blackswordca (and that other dude who stopped posting a few years ago) stories, I find it hard to believe that ya'll jumped all over Cobra like that.
I don't see you getting in on Blackswordca " Maybe the problem is YOU, buddy. Maybe you should just TALK to your boss, GOSH."

I think part of it was the victimization mentality without even trying to find out what the hell was going on. SEKCobra went straight to "it's a conspiracy" without at least talking to his supervisor. In the other cases the folks were being reassured that everything was okay, but actions indicated otherwise. We're all rooting for everyone to get a great job, make lots of money, and work as little as necessary, but I don't think it's unreasonable for responders to show a little tough love if the poster is being a little hasty in their assumptions and came here for validation. If nothing else, it gives the person some insight into what someone else might be thinking and suggestions on how to clarify the situation.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hey Verizon, if my client is paying for 120 down and Speedtest.net is going showing 27, me refusing to take their entire office down to run another test on your site isn't "refusing to do the speed test" and saying that to me has made your guy only the second phone support person I've ever yelled at.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 8, 2014

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Comradephate posted:

Bay area deli chat: Deli Board is the greatest place that exists. However, the sandwiches are like $14. Even then, soup, sandwich, and drink would not be more than $20.

Now that I think of it it is possible to spend tons of money on deli sandwiches in caoifo. Langers in LA can run you 20 for the sandwich, but they are very much the exception.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Inspector_666 posted:

Hey Verizon, if my client is paying for 120 down and Speedtest.net is going showing 27, me refusing to take their entire office down to run another test on your site isn't "refusing to do the speed test" and saying that to me has made your guy only the second phone support person I've ever yelled at.

Yeah, we're having issues with Verizon over their hotspots. After 5 gigs, they throttle so hard that I barely get dialup speed.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RadicalR posted:

Yeah, we're having issues with Verizon over their hotspots. After 5 gigs, they throttle so hard that I barely get dialup speed.

This is just a FiOS box. I kind of understand making that request if I'm showing like, 110 down and am mad about that last 10, but we're talking orders of magnitude.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I hate not being able to have enough time to do everything I actually need to get done. Our company is growing like crazy, with over 300+ new hires in the last 4 months. Unfortunately either because of CIO overconfidence or company indifference our IT dept hasnt grown at all. It seems that everything gets thrown on us or major projects get undertaken and dump a poo poo ton of work on us. We're automating and streamlining like crazy but I literally dont have time to spare working in SCCM and with our network team to help make things better in the future because I get so much poo poo that has to be dealt with NOW!11! according to management. Just give me a week and I can save us so much time moving forward! The wink wink nudge nudge is that if I took some time on the weekend I could really catch up but I just refuse to do that.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

I was battling with a vendor on a print issue. End result is them saying that printmanagement.msc is completely different from devices and printers in the control panel. I'm positive that they are the same for local print queues but I can't find any official sources describing how either of these work.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
They are the same, the print queues exist in the print spooler, devices and printers/print management just interface with the spooler. Print Management just gives you further control over installed printers and their queues, drivers, and remote print queues.

Do they think there's a difference in queues between the two? Have them open both and send a print job to a printer.

hihifellow fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 8, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

lampey posted:

I was battling with a vendor on a print issue. End result is them saying that printmanagement.msc is completely different from devices and printers in the control panel. I'm positive that they are the same for local print queues but I can't find any official sources describing how either of these work.
They might think you're running the printmanagement.msc on the server and want you to go to Devices and Printers on the local machine? I've had difficulty telling people that Print Server Properties is actually a thing on local machines and doesn't affect the print server.

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

It was a narcotics raid, not a Fritos raid.

Sir_Substance posted:

I'm still a fan of the company sponsored personal project time. That concept could easily be expanded to company sponsored professional expertise trade time. Just make Friday from 12 until 5:30 a timeslot dedicated to allowing HR to learn how to use CAD tools or IT how to use nailguns. Whatever.

Not to come into this way late, but I'm a sales rep for a very large company. I had two IT people (who actually support our sales software) out in the field with me last week. I was absolutely amazed at how little they knew about our business. I absolutely think IT should be cross-trained in some way or have some exposure to the business activities they support, because how else can you learn what is important?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dick Trauma posted:

I get regular calls from toner scammers and it brightens my day.

:v:: Hi, this is Brett calling about the copier. Can I get the model number real quick?
:black101:: Don't even try that with me. Go bother someone else.
:v:: Uhh.... <click>

Just tell them it's a Xerox 914.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

baquerd posted:

Just tell them it's a Xerox 914.

Ha! I actually told one of those scammers that we needed ribbons for our Olivetti Valentine(I actually own one, but it's obviously not at work)

Cue utter confusion on the other end of the line.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
:yotj: update.

Working for a giant company is certainly different than a 5 man operation. The contract is going to be really easy it looks like and I should be able to make a quick 20k~. :woop:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I am now doing three people worth of work, as I am now doing both my manager's and team lead's jobs in their absence. In theory this is temporary and I am not being paid additionally for it; on the other hand, it is giving me an opportunity to showcase my abilities to the head of the department and various other leadership. I am undecided about whether I should be happy or angry about this state of affairs. I would love to stay in my organization if they would give me a path for advancement.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

stevewm posted:

Dell contractors...

Had a Optiplex at one of our locations that would randomly hard lock and then fail to power back on without lots of loving around or resetting the CMOS. Dell ProSupport immediately said it was a bad motherboard as they have seen the very same thing a few times with that particular model. Tech was dispatched to replace motherboard.

The next day, contracted tech arrives with motherboard in-hand. Instead of replacing the motherboard as they where dispatched to do, the guy changes a setting in the BIOS, reboots it twice, and then leaves. Tech told a store employee that replacing the motherboard wasn't necessary. He was there maybe 5 minutes. Machine locks up just minutes after he walks out the door.

Ugh...

Sounds so drat familiar. This is definitely part of the list of things that pisses me off.

Story time (related):

Co-worked of mine setup a technicain to replace the motherboard on a laptop. Instead of the contracted tech showing up on site: he sends a teenage girl to pick it up.
Several hours later it arrives - via said girl - and gives a windows 7 install disc, and was told to "run a repair install". Customer had ordered a Win XP downgrade so that's what was on the system....

Shady as hell and I don't doubt the contractor lost his job then and there.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
edit: complaints about being stuck between two bosses who both want me.

TeMpLaR fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

lazercunt posted:

Not to come into this way late, but I'm a sales rep for a very large company. I had two IT people (who actually support our sales software) out in the field with me last week. I was absolutely amazed at how little they knew about our business. I absolutely think IT should be cross-trained in some way or have some exposure to the business activities they support, because how else can you learn what is important?

This is something I tried to push at work, but was ignored on. I tried to our help desk 1 people on the road more, since understand what users are doing is important to know how to help them best. Plus getting out and meeting people is always useful, especially if they are bigwigs who can help you get what you need because you help them back.
However, it was deemed that its more important to keep up call stats, so that was shelved.