Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Huh. That's actually a pretty cool rock-paper-scissors system then. I'm being pretty commonly surprised by the depth of this silly FTP chinagame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
Is countering the same as blocking? Also is there more to blocking then pressing x? I feel like I missed a tutorial or something along the way.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf

Lorem ipsum posted:

Is countering the same as blocking? Also is there more to blocking then pressing x? I feel like I missed a tutorial or something along the way.

Counters are specific skills that some schools get that launch an counter whenever you get attacked, blocking is just pressing x.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The Zephyr acupuncture is a quick teleport behind the target then a melee touch.

Jumping is a way to avoid it and so is dashing although not as reliable. But since you are behind the target, blocking may not work.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Re Sun and Moon acupuncture:

How are you guys actually hitting it? Half the time. My guy teleports, whiffs(even against stationary NPCs), a quarter of the time he hits all the moves, but the last one, and then you have when he hits all of them and the acupuncture doesnt work, and then once in a blue moon it hits and acupuncture's.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Only the last hit of that move puncs, so it's useless against people who can move. Try it immediately after a powerbomb.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Hahah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2kXkygBztM

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008

Swordsman Online - "I didn't choose loney..."

Gonna have to give this a chance after catching up on the thread and watching that, but I fear I might waste all my time making beautiful people in the character generation.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
From now on Sun and Moon is run by "Easten Never-lose".

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 8, 2014

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Got two questions.

1) Is there anyway to complete those artefact quests in the guild base?

2) How are you suppose to level from 40 onwards? Is it just grinding/botting mobs?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

artifact quests require us to run the treasure vault guild event.

One or two people can finish those quests per event. The items are on the floor west of the ballista room. There are two types of things on the ground there. Investigations which do nothing unless you have the quest and stay on the ground and the artifacts which only one person can pick up then they disappear.

At 40 you can level up several ways.

The level 40 open dungeon grinding is probably the fastest way to level up and most optimum use of your world energy but boring as gently caress.

The guild events / missions / feasts are a crap ton of exp a day.

Dungeons on swordsman difficulty are easy and give a repeatable that doubles their exp.

Then the world events like mirage or vermin lair are really good. Plus bamboo.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

FebrezeNinja posted:

Only the last hit of that move puncs, so it's useless against people who can move. Try it immediately after a powerbomb.

Use it after a pull.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Kegslayer posted:

Got two questions.

1) Is there anyway to complete those artefact quests in the guild base?

2) How are you suppose to level from 40 onwards? Is it just grinding/botting mobs?

In addition to the stuff Grithok mentioned, do guild cart raids. Shoot for doing purples as much as possible. The xp rewards are huge for those.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Purple cart raids, events with double xp on, guild events once a day...you'll level fast enough. Also leave your bot on killing things overnight, that'll get xp and upgrade your gear.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

FebrezeNinja posted:

Yes, it has the same problem scholar kick feint had in Aow. Long animation but the effect happen on the last few frames, not when you press it.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Haroshia posted:

Use it after a pull.

They can still roll out.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Ok I have a lot more questions about this game.

Is there some list of what all the effects actually do? I know acupunctures immobilize people and I know they make other skills do more damage on an acupunctured target, but I don't know what keywords to look for for this. Flaw-exposed?

I also notice that if I grab someone and throw them and cast one of my line attacks (sword blast) while they are midair, the attack usually shows as dodged if it hits them while they are knocked down on the ground. What kind of attacks work well on knocked down opponents? Can I acupuncture them (it is hard to test using nodelock)? Is there a good place I can go to test the damage of moves? Mobs die too fast to be useful.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Lorem ipsum posted:

Is there some list of what all the effects actually do? I know acupunctures immobilize people and I know they make other skills do more damage on an acupunctured target, but I don't know what keywords to look for for this. Flaw-exposed?

I also notice that if I grab someone and throw them and cast one of my line attacks (sword blast) while they are midair, the attack usually shows as dodged if it hits them while they are knocked down on the ground. What kind of attacks work well on knocked down opponents? Can I acupuncture them (it is hard to test using nodelock)? Is there a good place I can go to test the damage of moves? Mobs die too fast to be useful.

There are a ton of effects and no real documentation. Best thing to do is experiment. We do fight clubs almost every night, so get in on those.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Lorem ipsum posted:

A lot of effects are improperly named. Some skills that say they should immobilize actually slow and so on. Acupuncture is a 'sap', it lasts longer than other forms of CC but breaks on damage. Usually skills that say "flaw-exposed" can take advantage of this (as is the case with Splendor), but otherwise I think anyone with a full dazing bar (red bar that shows up as you take damage) counts for that trigger.

Knocked down enemies are immune to most forms of CC for the entire effective knockdown duration. This is usually represented by "upward dodge" or "downward dodge". In PvP, I believe Nodelock does work against knocked down targets, but your other forms of CC don't.

The best way to test this stuff is to grab another goon and repeatedly fight each other.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Liberatore posted:

So I'd like to clarify something. Harmony is one of the least played classes in the guild and it's believed that this is attributed to the perception that they are easily defeated by staying in the air. This couldn't be further from the truth.

Yes, the main acupuncture skill for Harmony (Harmony gets two acupuncture skills!) will indeed whiff if you try to use it against a mid-air target. However, keep in mind we're talking about a fully targeted, medium range, incredibly fast acupuncture skill. Also, Harmony gets a charge skill that will momentarily root your target, in addition to breaking their block; It will hit mid-air targets, and if you root them mid-air, the acupuncture will work against them. It's also fully targeted and has a very long range. Missing the acupuncture usually happens only against opponents who won't leave you time to charge (.55 seconds)... the charge, which is something you can control yourself.

Nevermind that skills that can be used in the air are few and far between. The Harmony's acupuncture skill's speed and ease of application means you can frequently take opportunities to interrupt an opponent mid-animation with it.

To tag on to this, I pretty much never miss my acupuncture as Harmony. It is so easy to chain death charge w/ acupuncture that it pretty much always hits. In addition, the acupuncture is so fast that you can actually get it off between someone's combos if you hit it at the right time.

If someone jumps, it is actually pretty easy to hit them the second they touch the ground with acupuncture.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Liberatore posted:

Oh, so that's what it means. So the Harmony's main acupuncture can't be countered or blocked.

This is actually untrue. Harmony's main acupuncture skill (not mirage, because who the hell uses mirage) CANNOT be used on a counter target. I've tried it just to find out if it works. If you try to ghost dash (whatever the hell it's called) an infinity player with counter-ready up, you will get countered.

Which is dumb, because it basically means Harmony doesn't have a way to deal with counter-ready status (unless you bring mirage, but once again, who the hell uses mirage).

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
in the process of deciding on a main, 1-25 has been completed on all ten sects,so here is some of my observations :

All basic sets pretty sucks, but some more than other. Here is my (purely subjective)ranking, from suckiest to most fun.

1 - Infinity
2 - E'mei
3 - Shaolin
4 - Tong
5 - 5Venoms
6 - Wudang
7 - Zephyr
8 - Harmony
9 - Splendor
10 - Sun and Moon

School costumes (Girls) :

Most sensible - Splendor
Most sexy - S&M
Most knickers showing - Zephyr
Best hats - 5Venoms

Only Creature that killed me (3 times over 10 characters) - Mountain chicken (idling pheasants)

I decided to eliminate infinity from the running because "Dont hit me when i glow" is a nice concept for a final boss but not really feasible for a PVP heavy game. Wudang also get out of the list because we apparently have enough of those so far. I have difficulties playing Tong since they feel like having been designed for action mode and it give me trouble when i try using it. Zephyr may get the boot too since the skill refresh is supposed to be called "cooldown" not "tea party with the countess"

The choice is then narrowed to Splendor, E'mei, Harmony, S&M, 5Venoms and Shaolin, Tong and Zephyr getting a second chance if i cant find satisfaction among those 6 at level 40

I'm open to suggestion if the guild has any deficiency in class membership.

Onward to 40 !

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Why did E'mei suck so much? They look like a lot of fun based purely on skillset.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

aleksendr posted:

I decided to eliminate infinity from the running because "Dont hit me when i glow" is a nice concept for a final boss but not really feasible for a PVP heavy game.

Keep in mind this really only has to happen once. I believe most (if not all) of the counters are linkstrike-able, which means their counter effect happens once you have countered something.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Don't use the sun and moon acupuncture. Sun and moon's thing seems to be that is doesn't need one. Every move either dazes, attaches or is a channeling AOE. Acupuncture breaks the second they take damage, meaning most of Sunmoons big hitters can't really be taken advantage of anyway. Use the hook to setup, it has a daze and you can follow up with your favorite high damage move. Sunmoon also has a really good disable that gives time for your chain to reset, the 3rd set's huge AOE. It pulls them in and disables them.

The acupuncture will never ever land against anyone that doesn't want to get hit by it. It takes to long to get to the actual stun, by the time it does any dazes would be done, and you can QTE out of the power bomb. Even times when it might work you will probably just teleport behind them instead and miss all the hits.

e: I'm level 50 with the class hth.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 8, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
Stop posting opinions on classes when you only have the first set. :argh:

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Orv posted:

Stop posting opinions on classes when you only have the first set. :argh:

For real at least get a class to 40. It takes literally 2 days.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The best part of doing that is you should be able to get the second set in a couple of hours. To base an opinion on the first set you would have literally had to play the game for no time at all.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Next question, how do you merge bags? I know you can go to the grocery and apparently spend two 5-slot bags into a 6-slot one (And so on) but she won't take them. Always says I don't have the required materials, despite having two bags free and empty. I even tried selling them to her and then trying to take the bag, nothing.

What do?

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

aleksendr posted:

School costumes (Girls) :

The choice is then narrowed to Splendor, E'mei, Harmony, S&M, 5Venoms and Shaolin, Tong and Zephyr getting a second chance if i cant find satisfaction among those 6 at level 40

I'm open to suggestion if the guild has any deficiency in class membership.

Onward to 40 !

Looking at your post history you have asked that a few times for the guild to suggest what you should play. Play what class YOU want. If the guild is full of 300 wudongs that each player adores and plays alot, great. Better than forcing people to play something they are not excited regarding.

Also seriously, you rated girl costumes? Wtf is wrong with you.

WORLD CUP EDIT: If you like to antagonize the BR guilds, now would be a real opportune time.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

funakupo posted:

WORLD CUP EDIT: If you like to antagonize the BR guilds, now would be a real opportune time.

Doing this as soon as I get home from work.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Antagonize the BR guilds? I would never.

But I am looking for some brazilians who can score.

Also I did invite one BR guy after asking if anyone was to embarrassed to be in a BR guild.

And wrote Brazil 0 German 5 on a wall in ink.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Shadowlz posted:

Doing this as soon as I get home from work.

They might all literally be dead by then

Third World Reggin posted:

Antagonize the BR guilds? I would never.

But I am looking for some brazilians who can score.

Also I did invite one BR guy after asking if anyone was to embarrassed to be in a BR guild.

And wrote Brazil 0 German 5 on a wall in ink.

You should have written 0-10 for accuracy

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Lorem ipsum posted:

Why did E'mei suck so much? They look like a lot of fun based purely on skillset.

E'mei first set sucked. All you get is a spirit debuff (few enemy use endo attacks in the beginning,but that may change later)two heal, your basic ranged attack, an small cone Aoe and a more powerful ranged. There is almost no variety in attack type and all they do is damage.

E'mei past 20 are a completely different ball game and are probably the school with the most improvement once you reach that point.

DarciisFyer
May 4, 2009
The "Available Quests" tab in the quests window is really nice, you can see all the quests available to you in the entire world.

Apparently you can catch a lvl 45 ermine/weasal pet in beastly hollow that can track people, anyone know how that works?

Sun & Moon acupuncture is best used as part of the combo, ex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MHYTN9cPF4

As a bonus, that video also shows why Harmony is Akuma-tier in 1v1.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

DarciisFyer posted:

Sun & Moon acupuncture is best used as part of the combo, ex:

Doesn't work like that in current version. They don't stay down long enough to get the acu on them. Even then that's if they miss the jumping QTE.

PassiveSentence
Jun 2, 2013
Is choice of school a large factor for stats or is that determined more by levels and gear?

Is EXP gain from a mob constant or does it scale depending on player level?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Shadowlz posted:

Doesn't work like that in current version. They don't stay down long enough to get the acu on them. Even then that's if they miss the jumping QTE.

The first set chain pull, the second set piledriver and the third set immobilize (I forget the name, they're all firewheel nonsense) all give you enough time to use the acupuncture. That said by the time you have S&M third set you aren't going to be using it to set up your combos.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Kegslayer posted:

To add on to the previous advice, save questing till after you have run out of World and Dungeon energy. And if you have run out of quests, there is a repeatable 50 quests/day chain that scales to your level and ramps up every 10 quests or so. Look for Shie Fon in Luo Yang. The quests are super easy and super dull, but you can do them semi-afk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

funakupo posted:

Looking at your post history you have asked that a few times for the guild to suggest what you should play. Play what class YOU want. If the guild is full of 300 wudongs that each player adores and plays alot, great. Better than forcing people to play something they are not excited regarding.

Also seriously, you rated girl costumes? Wtf is wrong with you.

As far as i know, nothing is wrong with me. I would have gladly commented on male clothing but with the exception of the Shaolin they are pretty much all the same layered shenyi or ruqun, only in school colors and with more or less ornamentation. Tong probably look the best and S&M the more weird with all the spiky bits and glistening leather.

I'm stuck on "What class to play ?" because this is the last bit that is stopping me from leaving AoW behind and the single thing i hate the most in this game. I will be stuck with that choice until i quit or start over, and if 1-40 may be quick, 40+ clearly is not and we don't know yet how high the grinding cliff can go. Lineage 2 was another 99 level mmo and past level 85 the numbers where completely silly, like 600K for 85, then suddenly 5M xp for 86, 8M for 87 and 14M for 88.

To ask for the opinion and wisdom of people who are probably better player than me and with whom i will potentially spend hundred of hours playing seemed like a good idea.

• Locked thread