Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

NNick posted:

If anyone has a little bit of time I would appreciate some feedback on my resume. I am looking to move to the client side of market research and will be applying for two jobs this afternoon. One is for a smaller software company and another is for a giant tech company. Any feedback is appreciated. I know the right alignment is screwed up. I'll fix that in word once I feel everything is solid.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U3Xcu7oYmmFnoqmhevfbKqDsn7M4spDlflLY_29d4iM/pub

The dates are confusing. Are you officially both a research associate/assistant supervisor and project manager? Also the description under research associate is a bit weak. It's not really clear what you did and the last line especially makes it sound a bit like you're an interviewer.

Not a fan of the general skills section, I think the elaboration on excel is nice, but the other two aren't particularly useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Sand Monster posted:

When I have had multiple positions within the same company, what is the suggested approach for formatting the work experience section of a resume? That is, should I treat each position as unique jobs in the work experience, e.g.:

I feel as though my work experience section is lengthy as it is, so the first option might make it even more so.

You can do it either way. It really depends on how relevant each job is. If they are a natural progression (Chocolate Teapot Maker -> Senior Chocolate Teapot Maker -> Manager, Chocolate Teapot Manufacturing) I'd recommend the second way, but if they show mobility in departments or otherwise aren't just reflective of natural progression, the first way probably makes more sense.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Xandu posted:

The dates are confusing. Are you officially both a research associate/assistant supervisor and project manager? Also the description under research associate is a bit weak. It's not really clear what you did and the last line especially makes it sound a bit like you're an interviewer.

Not a fan of the general skills section, I think the elaboration on excel is nice, but the other two aren't particularly useful.

Sort of the same issue someone else is having. I've had three positions at the company: Research interviewer (7 months), supervisor (5 months), project manager (14 months). Should I just separate it into three fields?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Honestly given the jobs you're applying for and that you've had the project manager position the longest, I'd take off the other two.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Bisty Q. posted:

You can do it either way. It really depends on how relevant each job is. If they are a natural progression (Chocolate Teapot Maker -> Senior Chocolate Teapot Maker -> Manager, Chocolate Teapot Manufacturing) I'd recommend the second way, but if they show mobility in departments or otherwise aren't just reflective of natural progression, the first way probably makes more sense.

Thank you. I think the second way makes sense because it was essentially a natural progression like you described.

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS
Apr 26, 2006
Is it considered bad to show up to places in person in a suit and ask to leave a resume? Seems like it would show a lot of initiative and help reduce the chance of my resume being lost in the shuffle, but I also don't want to bother anyone. I'm a recent Electrical Engineering graduate looking for any entry level position.

Also, does anyone have any tips for just finding entry level jobs? I'm very confident in my interview skills, but I can't find hardly any entry level positions listed on monster, indeed, etc. I haven't heard back from the 10 or so I've applied to so far.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS posted:

Is it considered bad to show up to places in person in a suit and ask to leave a resume? Seems like it would show a lot of initiative and help reduce the chance of my resume being lost in the shuffle, but I also don't want to bother anyone. I'm a recent Electrical Engineering graduate looking for any entry level position.

Also, does anyone have any tips for just finding entry level jobs? I'm very confident in my interview skills, but I can't find hardly any entry level positions listed on monster, indeed, etc. I haven't heard back from the 10 or so I've applied to so far.

I wouldn't just show up unannounced. You could call them in advance and ask if they're looking to hire someone with your qualifications at any point and you may be able to arrange a meeting to at least get your foot in the door, but just showing up out of the blue probably won't get you anywhere since the secretary will probably lose your resume and the odds of the person who'd get you anywhere being free the exact moment you step into the building are extremely low. Then you've also got the hurdle of companies that have security, they're sure as hell not going to just let you in without a pre-arranged meeting and a name of someone to talk to.

Just keep applying to every job that you're mostly qualified for. My first job out of college required 5+ years experience on the job posting and a handful of other things I didn't have experience with I applied for it and got it anyway. The "requirements" on each job posting are more of a wish list than a hard list. I lost count of applications at over 80 when I was a senior in college. Getting your first "real" job sucks. Second round I applied to ~10 jobs and had a 75% response rate and it only took about three weeks to land a job after quitting my old one. The first job is definitely the hardest, then it gets better :unsmith:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Showing up in person is weirdly pushy, and in larger organizations there's a large chance your résumé will end up in the receptionist's recycling bin. Everything's digital these days.

Don't limit yourself to entry level, apply to everything about 3 years of experience and less. Let them reject you if they must, but don't reject yourself.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

The OP posted:

Retail/Call Centers (god help you) -- this is the only case where you have permission to physically show up there or to call and harrass people about your application. Both of these types of jobs get so many people in the door that unless you're on the top of their stack, you aren't getting considered. Also, neither of these types of jobs almost ever need resumes.

No, do not do this for a professional job, you will look naive and just give the receptionist's shredder a workout. Apply for anything with under 3 years of experience and prepare to apply for a LOT more than 10 jobs. Tailor your cover letters and resumes as suggested in the OP and realize it's going to take some effort. Also, look for specific "NCG" entry paths at large companies, or talk to your college career center about them. They are much easier to get evaluated through.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bisty Q. posted:

Apply for anything with under 3 years of experience and prepare to apply for a LOT more than 10 jobs.

This. I'm up to to about 80 for entry-level positions and I've only had two interviews so far, one of which was an absolute disaster. Keep applying! More importantly, get your face out there! Go to networking events at your university or any other such public location, check out MeetUp.com for like-minded people, volunteer with a few places/companies/organizations, do whatever it takes to let people know that HOG ILLUSTRATIONS exists.

I'm learning way too late (i.e. about eight months into my job search) about the importance of networking and it's really biting me in the rear end. I'm running out of money and have loans to pay off. Don't make the same mistake I did!

Bisty Q. posted:

Also, look for specific "NCG" entry paths at large companies, or talk to your college career center about them.

I Googled this and got nothing... Is this an American thing or something more relevant to electrical engineers or what?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Walking in and handing over your resume only works in the fantasies of dads or grandpas.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Walking in and handing over your resume only works in the fantasies of dads or grandpas.

Yeah, it must have worked in the sixties or something. It's 2014, nobody works with paper anymore. And in the modern security-conscious world, I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't even get to the receptionist without an appointment these days.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

FrozenVent posted:

Showing up in person is weirdly pushy, and in larger organizations there's a large chance your résumé will end up in the receptionist's recycling bin. Everything's digital these days.

Bisty Q. posted:

No, do not do this for a professional job, you will look naive and just give the receptionist's shredder a workout.
Since you're starting out, let me explain this from the receptionist's point of view: it's not that we want to get paid to sit on our hands, and throw your resume in the trash because we can't be bothered to put it on somebody's desk. Any organization of significant size probably has a website that lists open positions and describes the relevant application process, so dressing up and hand-delivering a paper resume makes you look weird, and like you don't know how to use Google.

Also, the same grandpa who told you to do this may have also told you to cold-call, or even walk in, and insist on talking to "the manager" so that you can market yourself. You know who does this? Door-to-door salesmen and telemarketers. Part of a receptionist's job is intercepting and stonewalling people who act this way.

Also:

quote:

my resume being lost in the shuffle
"Shuffle?" What is this "shuffle" that you think exists?

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Yeah. I guess people have the notion that it demonstrates "gumption" or something? The Onion made a video about this.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
The most I'd consider doing if I was about to be on my rear end in the streets is cold call but even then I'm sure you'd get the usual 'check our job postings on our website'. They aren't hiding the secret great jobs behind the counter, those are for sons and daughters of executives! :v:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Stanos posted:

The most I'd consider doing if I was about to be on my rear end in the streets is cold call but even then I'm sure you'd get the usual 'check our job postings on our website'.

Hell even if you go to a job fair, which has the explicit purpose of talking to people for jobs, you'll get this line. Don't waste time going around handing out resumes, just sit on your couch in your underwear and fire off as many resumes as you can to anything that vaguely resembles what you're looking to do.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

NNick posted:

If anyone has a little bit of time I would appreciate some feedback on my resume. I am looking to move to the client side of market research and will be applying for two jobs this afternoon. One is for a smaller software company and another is for a giant tech company. Any feedback is appreciated. I know the right alignment is screwed up. I'll fix that in word once I feel everything is solid.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U3Xcu7oYmmFnoqmhevfbKqDsn7M4spDlflLY_29d4iM/pub

Here is a very basic critique. Hope this helps!

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Hell even if you go to a job fair, which has the explicit purpose of talking to people for jobs, you'll get this line. Don't waste time going around handing out resumes, just sit on your couch in your underwear and fire off as many resumes as you can to anything that vaguely resembles what you're looking to do.

I know one person who ever got interviews from job fairs and they were for places like MIT Lincoln Labs and his interviews got cancelled because the government shutdown happened and the funding for the job he was interviewing for went poof. It came back and he's retrying now but still, ouch.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
Hi all. I have a resume/interview question. At my company, there's a position posted that I'm interested in. It would be a promotion from my current role there. So on the resume, would I include the responsibilities of my current role at the same company, and then in past jobs put what's relevant to the promotion role? I'm not really sure how to set it up so that I can sell myself for this much higher paying job.

I don't have the exact degree they are seeking (business admin) but I do have a bachelor's degree. I don't think that is necessarily going to eliminate me out of the running because I know how our culture operates.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

(NCGs)
I Googled this and got nothing... Is this an American thing or something more relevant to electrical engineers or what?
They stand for "New college graduate" so look for variants of that term. Almost all largeish companies in the US have a track like that, especially for engineering-type people.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bisty Q. posted:

They stand for "New college graduate" so look for variants of that term. Almost all largeish companies in the US have a track like that, especially for engineering-type people.

Ah, thanks! Do they apply to grad school graduates as well?

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated

Bisty Q. posted:

"New college graduate" and "recent college graduate" aren't going to show up in the job descriptions of any major companies because they don't want to get accused of age discrimination. See, for example, this article.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Enilev posted:

"New college graduate" and "recent college graduate" aren't going to show up in the job descriptions of any major companies because they don't want to get accused of age discrimination. See, for example, this article.

Really? I've seen plenty of recent grad software and other engineering things from places like Raytheon. It outright said "recent college graduate" in the posting name. Granted places like Raytheon also have tons of openings for people with experience.

E: although I confess to hating the posters who flag their 8-10 year post PhD position as "entry level". Goooo ffffuck yourselves you jerks.

E2: I'm a data person I want my tags to be meaningful and accurate :spergin:

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 9, 2014

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Enilev posted:

The EEOC isn't going to be able to wish the term out of existence (and they don't have enforcement authority until individual cases are brought) and pretty much every company with more than 1000 employees probably has a "college hiring" program that isn't going to go away because Facebook and Yahoo had actions brought against them. I stand by the advice to search for it.

Examples:

http://careers.microsoft.com/careers/en/us/university-full-time-roles.aspx
http://www.lockheedmartinjobs.com/college-students.asp
http://jobs.raytheon.com/career-paths/campus-recruiting ("Students and Recent Graduates")
https://corporate.target.com/careers/college-students

Hell, even all of Facebook and Yahoo didn't get the memos:

https://www.facebook.com/careers/university
https://careers.yahoo.com/us/students

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Enilev posted:

Does the EEOC have any leg to stand on here? It is true that most (read: an overwhelming majority) college grads are young, but saying "recent grads" instead of "22-25 year olds" gives them a semantic loophole, as technically anyone of any age over 22 or so could potentially be a recent graduate, right?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 9, 2014

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I have spent the past 8 years working in a factory. This year I will graduate will a bs in computer science. What are ways I can put a positive spin on factory work? To be clear it is a production line work. I am having trouble polishing putting parts in a box. At my facility there isn't any room to move up on the floor unless you want to goto school to work on the machines.So I haven't had any other jobs other than on the line

Thanks for any input.

joebuddah fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 9, 2014

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Does the EEOC have any leg to stand on here? It is true that most (read: an overwhelming majority) college grads are young, but saying "recent grads" instead of "22-25 year olds" gives them a semantic loophole, as technically anyone of any age over 22 or so could potentially be a recent graduate, right?
Besides, all the job post would have to say to be safe is something like, "This position is ideal for recent college graduates, but we will consider experienced candidates."

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012

joebuddah posted:

I have spent the past 8 years working in a factory. This year I will graduate will a bs in computer science. What are ways I can put a positive spin on factory work? To be clear it is a production line work. I am having trouble polishing putting parts in a box. At my facility there isn't any room to move up on the floor unless you want to goto school to work on the machines.So I haven't had any other jobs other than on the line

Thanks for any input.

When I got my BS in Comp Sci, I had been working at a movie theater and then as a math tutor for a combined 9 years. People hiring for software development are very likely not going to care about the intricacy of your factory work (unless there was leadership involved, and then only maybe). Both of those jobs of mine were single lines on my resume, and the rest was taken up with a large description of my development internship, upper-level courses and descriptions of school projects.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

That's about what DD's guy did for that sort of thing on my resume, the only really translatable thing about that kind of work is "this guy can be relied on to show up". I mean you'd kind of expect to be a given that but if you have a line to spend then proving it won't hurt.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Shugojin posted:

the only really translatable thing about that kind of work is "this guy can be relied on to show up". I mean you'd kind of expect to be a given

Man, it depends on the industry but that's not as much a given as you probably think. I've had a surprising amount of college grads think it's totally OK to be 2 hours late, no call no show, etc. and had to have the talk with them. Some straightened up, most we had to fire. It's pretty much impossible to directly relate factory work or movie theater work or fast food or whatever into software development but just holding down a job for over a year (even part-time) holds a lot of weight in my book.

Edit: one thing you guys could try is if you guys have any measurable accomplishments at your job you might list those. I know it sounds laughable but try to answer the question "did I do anything at my <menial> job that everyone else did not?" For factory worker guy -- I walk out to the production lines every day and it is completely menial manual labor but did you learn anything, learn any equipment, etc, that the other people didn't? Obviously if you're working the tube filler you're not gonna make it go any faster and increase output 100% but maybe you could mention what you did learn about it.

No sane hiring manager is going to expect you to write some sort of three paragraph essay about how working the tube filler or whatever relates directly to software engineering. If you're light on content you could find a way to draw some parallels, for example we have a customer who has a zero defect policy that stresses mad attention to detail -- I've only done a tiny bit of coding years past but that's something you could at least bring up.

One example is a recent Chem grad I hired who was waiting tables FT for about a year due to the crap job market. His resume jumped out at me because first he got a real job, menial as it was, rather than moving back in with his parents and whining, and second there was no bullshit corporate speak about "excellent independent and team worker!" or generic list of classes, just real accomplishments relative to his coworkers (increased sales, averaged +x% a night in tips, etc). May sound silly but people don't tip well for lovely service. He turned out to be a superstar hire and moved departments and now probably makes close to what I do ;)

seacat fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 9, 2014

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So how long should a good cover letter be? I know a lot of it depends on the position or industry and it's rarely good to make it longer than one page, but what else should I focus on?

I'm about to send an application for what looks like a sweet gig with a referral from someone within the department I'm applying to and I want to make it look as great as possible. I see one page is pretty standard, but half a page is the most desired. I guess I can truncate it by killing the redundant paragraph that summarizes an academic project (it's mostly written in the resume anyway).

I'm most likely overthinking this, because I have a feeling any length between a half to one full page is probably not very important if the letter begins with "A representitive of Chocolate Teapots Co.'s Teapot Research department, John Doe, referred me to the Chocolate Teapot Maker position..." right?

EDIT: Ugh I have to submit it via a fixed-width plaintext field. Who knows how long my 1/3-page cover letter is in that system :suicide:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 9, 2014

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I've always been told a good cover letter should be three paragraphs long: This is who I am, this is why I'm awesome, this is why you should hire me for this position.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

A handful of job questions:

1. I'm applying to a company that my employer has directly worked with. We produce some of their products for them. I assume its a good idea to mention that I have first hand experience dealing with their products right?

2. I've applied to this place before, made it to the top candidates and didn't get the job. They have a big database system that they use for applications but I've also been in contact with the recruiter. I'm going to submit my Cover Letter & Resume to the database because I know they're sticklers about using it. Should I ALSO send my information to a recruiter I've been in contact with or should I just send an email saying "hey check it I have applied to your company dog"

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
First off, I'd like to say that I can tell DustingDuvet's service is really good. I recently got a quick mark-up by them as a sample, and used that resume to apply for a job for which I've now been contacted for an interview. 1 for 1! If this doesn't result in an offer I'm definitely going to pay for the full service before sending my resume out to other places.

Anyway, wondering if I can get input on how to respond to this recruiter about this job? She wrote me at 5.30pm on Friday, so I figure I should have a response in her inbox for when she gets in Monday morning. For context at my current job I can step away from my desk for up to 30ish minutes without any questions asked but if it's like an hour or so my colleagues/manager are going to ask where I've been. I can't tell if what's below indicates a screening call or a phone interview. What can I respond in order to figure it out?

Recruiter posted:

Dear Halisnacks,

Thank you for applying to the above mentioned role.

Your CV does look of interest and I would like to arrange a call with you to discuss your experience in more detail.

Please let me know when is a good time to speak?

Best regards,
Recruiter

How can I politely ask the nature and expected duration of the call and indicate that if it's longer I may need some notice to book a morning or afternoon off work?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Don't, as it will make you seem oddly formal and stiff. They'll talk for 30 minutes absolute max in an initial call, far more likely 15.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Yeah, DustingDuvet your feedback is excellent. I will definitely be considering it down the line! My major challenge is I can't be very specific

Xandu and the others who provided feedback also helped. Looks like I have an interview for one of my two apps in a couple of weeks. Going to be applying for more this weekend!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Bisty Q. posted:

Don't, as it will make you seem oddly formal and stiff. They'll talk for 30 minutes absolute max in an initial call, far more likely 15.

I've had two of these screening calls lately and they've always been 30 minutes, but yeah 15-30 is what I would expect.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Halisnacks posted:

First off, I'd like to say that I can tell DustingDuvet's service is really good. I recently got a quick mark-up by them as a sample, and used that resume to apply for a job for which I've now been contacted for an interview. 1 for 1! If this doesn't result in an offer I'm definitely going to pay for the full service before sending my resume out to other places.

Anyway, wondering if I can get input on how to respond to this recruiter about this job? She wrote me at 5.30pm on Friday, so I figure I should have a response in her inbox for when she gets in Monday morning. For context at my current job I can step away from my desk for up to 30ish minutes without any questions asked but if it's like an hour or so my colleagues/manager are going to ask where I've been. I can't tell if what's below indicates a screening call or a phone interview. What can I respond in order to figure it out?

How can I politely ask the nature and expected duration of the call and indicate that if it's longer I may need some notice to book a morning or afternoon off work?

"Dear Recruiter,
Pleasure to hear from you.
My best availability is on Tuesday 7/15/14 and 7/17/14 at 11:30 AM. However due to my work schedule I won't be able to talk more than 30 minutes. Please let me know if that's a problem and we can arrange a better time.
Sincerely,
x"

You're obsessing way too much about this. This is a phone screen to make sure you're not a drooling moron, not an in-person interview. They're typically 10-15 minutes. If they take longer they don't know how to do phone screens and so gently caress them.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Most of my interview phone screens have been 10-20 minute affairs for basic knowledge/is this person an idiot/can I understand them on the phone/can they string two thoughts together without fizzling out. Don't think too hard about it.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Be prepared because in some of the phone screens I've had, they've asked for my salary expectations. If you aren't expecting that, it can catch you off guard and you can say something you don't want to say. Revealing your salary expectations in a phone screen is a bad idea. (see: How to negotiate thread)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loki k zen
Nov 12, 2011

Keep close the words of Syadasti: 'TIS AN ILL WIND THAT BLOWS NO MINDS. And remember that there is no tyranny in the State of Confusion. For further information, consult your pineal gland.
Ok, so last time someone asked me for my salary expectations I told them I expected them to pay the amount it said on the ad because that was the amount they said on the ad. Is that bad?

Anyways, question I came here for: how much does part time work suck on your resume compared to equivalent years of full time work?

And how do you strike the balance between 'well rounded with diverse interests and skills' and 'flake who doesn't know what they wanna do'. Basically how much will it hurt me if I end up doing a bunch of stuff that doesn't end up being my main career path while trying to figure out what that is?