Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Broseph Brostar posted:

Besides Jinbe, I can't see anybody joining the crew, this arc has got to end with Luffy's pirate alliance.

Either could I, but the use of the plural seems to suggest otherwise regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

With that schedule I'm not so sure he'll be around long enough to finish it. :(

The Japanese are big on appearances. Its extremely likely that he "works" for 12+ hours a day but really only gets things done for a regular number of hours.

I feel like someone wrote a bunch of words about this in ADTRW before.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
if oda actually worked for the amount of time he said he didnt he wouldnt have time to do all the things he mentions doing like movies/tv shows he enjoys watching.

that said he still probably works his rear end off and doesnt get much sleep but he probably squeezes out some time for entertainment each day during work.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I'm sure he can work and watch TV at the same time.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Oda also said he wants Robin's Hana Hana no Mi the most because he then could have many hands drawing at the same time. Besides, all the devil fruits that are eaten by female characters are relevant to women's daily requirements in real life, e.g. Alvida's Sube Sube no Mi and Miss. Valentine's Kilo Kilo no Mi.

really dude lol

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Man I fuckin hate how women have to turn into snow all the time

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Man I fuckin hate how women have to turn into snow all the time

Don't worry, the ones who do are usually frigid.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

Oda also said he wants Robin's Hana Hana no Mi the most because he then could have many hands drawing at the same time. Besides, all the devil fruits that are eaten by female characters are relevant to women's daily requirements in real life, e.g. Alvida's Sube Sube no Mi and Miss. Valentine's Kilo Kilo no Mi.

really dude lol

It's always nice to know that, however sexist America is, Japan is like three decades behind us.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I hope it's either a joke, a poor translation or both because women need to obviously turn into cages and weapons :rolleye:.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
The translation I read noted that the new nakama would join successively btw.

http://opforum.net/showthread.php?tid=6501

rio poneglyph is a very reliable and good translator so i wouldn't chalk that up to someone messing up what's being said. basically the characters i assume would show up in the same piece of an arc (say, at the end of this one). so our new nakama would probably be precisely when jinbe joins, or as a pair.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Yeah, I mean women turning into moles was a regular thing 100 years ago but this is the 21st century!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Jinbe is a given, but I could see Momonosuke joining too, actually. I'm trying to think of characters that aren't too tied down to other commitments, like Law seems to be, or who wouldn't be better in a Strawhat Armada style role, like Bartolomeo for instance.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Except Momonosuke has a dream that roots him to Wano.

I'm really not sure why people have any sort of idea every arc that we need to get a new crew member. We haven't officially gotten one since Thriller Bark, yet every arc it's been "I wonder if Monet will join! Think about it, she has nothing left after Punk Hazard falls, and furthermore-".

The crew is borderline bloated as it is, the arcs get hard for each member to get any face time at all, and it's difficult to keep track of everyone's little groups to the point where we get a map every chapter. We don't need more. We really don't even need Jimbei, but he's all but confirmed as it is.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Advice posted:

not currently it doesnt, hes a little kid. hes gotta grow up to be shogun im guessing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm okay with there being a "B-Crew."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'm okay with there being a "B-Crew."

But there's already a B-crew. It's basically anyone who isn't with or in the vicinity of Luffy.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Luffy's not recruiting new people to his crew. He's recruiting new crews to his crew.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Kind of wish the mini-mini fruit eating Giant from the filler could join. The crew could use another lady.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Gyges posted:

Kind of wish the mini-mini fruit eating Giant from the filler could join. The crew could use another lady.

bondster
May 6, 2007

So there is going to be an original anime special that takes place during the timeskip

quote:

The One Piece television anime series is getting a two-hour special next month as part of the show's 15th anniversary celebrations. The "One Piece '3D2Y' Ace no Shi wo Koete! Luffy Nakama to no Chikai" (One Piece '3D2Y' Overcome Ace's Death! The Oath With Luffy's Crewmates) special will air on August 30 from 9 p.m. to 11:10 p.m. on Fuji TV stations.

The "mysterious episode" will be a completely new work that will have content not previously shown in the anime or the manga. The special will focus on the "3D2Y" code that Luffy's crewmates must decipher, and will take place during the Straw Hat crew's two-year training period. The special will also feature Luffy's secret haki training with Rayleigh.

Toei Animation producer Hiroyuki Sakurada said that the special will not just include Rayleigh and Hancock, but also Buggy, Mr. 3, Mihawk, Perona, and Admiral Sakazuki (Akainu), among others. Original manga creator Eiichiro Oda will design a new enemy character, Bandy World, who will have the ability of the "Moa Moa" fruit. Bandy World escaped from the sixth level of Impel Down during the Marineford battle, and he is now shocking the world with his former crew by taking out Marine battleships and prominent pirates one by one. The World Government summons the Seven Warlords to take care of World, but he manages to capture them. Now World has his sights set on Boa Hancock. Oda also provided a comment on the new special, noting that at the end of the special, "a must-see surprise for fans is waiting."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Two people who have absolutely no clue whatsoever about anything One Piece(or anime really) do a quick look of a recent One Piece game. Their reactions to various characters is preeeeeetty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7i7Nfw-cIo

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Two people who have absolutely no clue whatsoever about anything One Piece(or anime really) do a quick look of a recent One Piece game. Their reactions to various characters is preeeeeetty good.

They've also done one on the new JoJo game. All their Quick Looks videos are entertaining if you're not bothered by bad gameplay.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Luffy's not recruiting new people to his crew. He's recruiting new crews to his crew.

You know what, I'm also okay with this, too.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Their reactions to the strawhat crew made me realize how goddamn ridiculous this series is.

EDIT: Their not there. THE SHAME

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 9, 2014

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Luffy said at the very beginning of his journey he planned to recruit about ten people. That suggests probably two more people (Jimbei and ???????) as the crew of the Sunny but does not exclude a potential Whitebeard-style fleet.

If Kinnemon and Momonosuke end up joining I hope it's Pirate-Alliane because I don;t like them enough for them to be permanent crewmembers.

Captain Invictus posted:

"His hat is stupid"

YOUR rear end IS STUPID :argh:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

This is really great. One Piece is so creative and there's 600+ chapters of development that they're just dropped right into with no idea what's going on. Love it.

Also I really want to play that game now. I wanted to play it on 3DS but it is really pretty on PS3/Wii U. I loved the original on the Wii, so it'll be up to what time permits I guess.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Kinemon and Mono are New World Vivi, which also suggests that Doflamingo and Dressrosa are not the Alabasta of the New World.

They're the Little Garden.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Advice posted:

Kinemon and Mono are New World Vivi, which also suggests that Doflamingo and Dressrosa are not the Alabasta of the New World.

They're the Little Garden.

Did you forget that Punk Hazard happened? Because I'm pretty sure that that was the Little Garden of the New World.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

ladyboy pancake posted:

Luffy said at the very beginning of his journey he planned to recruit about ten people. That suggests probably two more people (Jimbei and ???????) as the crew of the Sunny but does not exclude a potential Whitebeard-style fleet.
Vivi is technically a crewmate, she's got the X and Oda always includes her in the cover arc stories.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Astro Ambulance posted:

Did you forget that Punk Hazard happened? Because I'm pretty sure that that was the Little Garden of the New World.

Aha, but we met Kinemon and Mononosuke at Punk Hazard, which makes it the Whiskey Peak of the New World.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I think Jinbei and eventually Sabo (although I doubt it will happen in Dressrosa) are a given for new crew members, other than that I could see another girl joining just to balance it out. Kinemon wont join because he is too similar to Zorro in fighting style and Monosuke is way too young.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sabo's a replacement Ace and will probably serve a similar function minus the whole dying thing, so it's more likely he'll be a powerful ally and a more immediately relevant personal link to the Revolutionary Army than Luffy's absent dad.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Arguably Momonosuke could be their cabin boy if you want to match up the Straw Hats to Roger's crew. I still think they're due one more member just because Luffy wanted 10 members, and Jinbei's already a lock. Course, given this arc, it is expanding to the Straw Hats building their alliance akin to Whitebeard's alliance.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Advice posted:

I'm really not sure why people have any sort of idea every arc that we need to get a new crew member. We haven't officially gotten one since Thriller Bark, yet every arc it's been "I wonder if Monet will join! Think about it, she has nothing left after Punk Hazard falls, and furthermore-".

The crew is borderline bloated as it is, the arcs get hard for each member to get any face time at all, and it's difficult to keep track of everyone's little groups to the point where we get a map every chapter. We don't need more. We really don't even need Jimbei, but he's all but confirmed as it is.

What we really need is a Davy Back type arc to give us more time with the crew. It was nice to get a short arc like that and have all those funny interactions.

Also give Sanji more screentime or at least a couple of chapters where he does something cool/important like the train invasion during Water 7.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
What we need is another Davy Back arc. Bring back Foxy with a cool new post-timeskip design, that's what I say.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Also I really want to play that game now. I wanted to play it on 3DS but it is really pretty on PS3/Wii U. I loved the original on the Wii, so it'll be up to what time permits I guess.

I bought, played, finished and returned the game a couple weeks ago. It's a below average game but a decent One Piece game.

You again just visit places you've already been and fight people we've already seen. Of course that's part of a predictable plot. And there's a dull town to build. Why? I don't know.

It's nice to choose who you play with. Robin's pretty great since she is all about Zoning and staying out of danger. Nami and Sanji have good speed to avoid hits too. The battle system isn't deep and you'll mainly fight faceless mooks and mash buttons. Team attacks are okay.

The game also claims there's a 'Dressrosa' arc in the game. Yeah, no, that's a lie. There's the coliseum in Dressrosa where you just fight the same characters over and over, but you can unlock some enemies to use there. You'll get a Dolfy appearance or two but not a 'Dressrosa Arc'

It's not worth $70 (Australian).

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Replace Sanji with Mr. 2 Bon Clay. Sanji has been getting steadily lamer and creepier.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Vivi is technically a crewmate, she's got the X and Oda always includes her in the cover arc stories.

Yeah, Vivi turning up again and joining back permanently is what I'd hope for the last crewmate.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, Vivi turning up again and joining back permanently is what I'd hope for the last crewmate.

She's got her own kingdom to run so she's basically an honorary Strawhat. It'd be like Shirahoshi abandoning fishman island to come with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
If Vivi joins it would mean that Alabasta was probably destroyed in some manner because that's definitely her first responsibility.

• Locked thread