Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
He must have some stake in bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

always be closing posted:

He must have some stake in bots.

That's what I posited.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

Ghosthotel posted:

So my friends are getting me into MtG and I'm familiar with how the game is played and have played a few games using their decks but I know theres probably a whole lot im not taking into account whenever it's my turn. Is there any kind of "Read This: Babies first MtG Guide". Anything that goes into detail about building decks, what makes a good card, etc. I'm going to the event this friday with my friends so I'm ready to dive head first into this and lose a whole bunch.

I can't offer much in terms of articles or resources, other posters probably have those on hand, but I would definitely recommend one of the Duels of the Planeswalkers games on Steam/iOS/Android. The 2015 edition should be out by the end of the month. They're Magic wrapped up in a single-player story and they're a great tool at teaching how to modify existing decks and understanding combos and deck types.

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Here's a cool thing Wizards did

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Man if I was good at art I'd art for Wizards for free.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Count Bleck posted:

Which is exactly why it's such a good thing. As the article points out, Wizards are one of the biggest beasts in the business and the game has its own draw. They could very easily get away with stinginess in their contracts for 95%+ of their stable: this is a generous move from most angles. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they'd like to underline to that remaining, more independent, mostly higher-quality 5% that keeping Wizards in the back of their minds is always a good idea.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Anyone know how much the artists make?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Anyone know how much the artists make?

A free pack of their choice, M14 or Born

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

What a Judas posted:

I don't know if any of you are friends with Frank Lepore on Facebook, but there's a conversation going on on his wall right now where, long story short, he insists that Magic Online trading bots are preferable to an automated exchange system (auction house or otherwise).

Am I alone in finding this absurd?

In a vaccuum? Absolutely. But the current MODO bot system is more and more consistently functional than any part of the v4 client, so I would much rather have Wizards simply never try until their client wasn't a festering pile of garbage.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mortimer posted:

A free pack of their choice, M14 or Born

And if you do a real good job, they'll let you pick from Homelands as well.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The bot system is kind of bad and there's actually nothing keeping them accountable but I don't genuinely believe Wotc would implement a system on MODO where they don't take a sizable cut and attempt to edge out the ability to go infinite.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
considering wizards has shown that such ideas like "allow tickets to be divided into fractions" is beyond their comprehension, i'd be on the side of wizards will gently caress up any attempt of a centralized secondary market

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Wizards loving it up wasn't the argument, though; I understand that's a valid concern, but the point was the bot system is wonky and absolutely far from desirable.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

What a Judas posted:

I don't know if any of you are friends with Frank Lepore on Facebook, but there's a conversation going on on his wall right now where, long story short, he insists that Magic Online trading bots are preferable to an automated exchange system (auction house or otherwise).

I think the bots are better then anything the MTGO team will put out, and they'd be even better if they let the bots use the wire protocol instead of screen scraping the godawful client (read GoatBots or TheCardNexus on twitter for v4 trading horror stories). Broadly, any area where MTGO allows the community to actually do things themselves is going to be better than their half-rear end implementation.

Besides, the real reason that MTGO is careful about the auction house/fractional tix/etc. is they don't want to endorse tickets as a currency equivalent and get anywhere close to being labeled online gambling. Wizard Poker being legally Wizard Poker is one of the few things that could actually kill Magic, so they don't want to get anywhere near it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Ghosthotel posted:

So my friends are getting me into MtG and I'm familiar with how the game is played and have played a few games using their decks but I know theres probably a whole lot im not taking into account whenever it's my turn. Is there any kind of "Read This: Babies first MtG Guide". Anything that goes into detail about building decks, what makes a good card, etc. I'm going to the event this friday with my friends so I'm ready to dive head first into this and lose a whole bunch.

The article you're looking for is Who's the Beatdown. Mike Flores is kind of awful, but this article is actually really good and is the go-to "how to win games" guide for new players.

A reasonably good but less-time-tested guide focused on deck construction is Gavin Verhey's Zero to Sixty, which was the intro to his weekly mothership article about constructing and tuning decks.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

whateverfor posted:

Besides, the real reason that MTGO is careful about the auction house/fractional tix/etc. is they don't want to endorse tickets as a currency equivalent and get anywhere close to being labeled online gambling. Wizard Poker being legally Wizard Poker is one of the few things that could actually kill Magic, so they don't want to get anywhere near it.

I don't buy this at all. They don't endorse any method of exchanging tix for real cash, so there can't be any argument that they support it. Permission by omission, perhaps? I suppose, but I fail to see how it becomes gambling at that point.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

One step closer to Duel Decks: Guay v Nielsen :allears:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Dr. Stab posted:

Eggs v Dredge is probably the best way to teach a new player the mechanics of the game. Lets them learn the fundamental archetypes of magic decks.

You mean manaless Dredge, right? Don't want them getting silly ideas like paying for spells.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Generator Servant is just a color shifted version of that awful satyr you had to reluctantly play in Theros where even bronze sable was better in 90% of cases. People want to play this card lmao.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

jassi007 posted:

Shrapnel blast is a 2 for 1 that deals 5 damage. Ensoul is at worst the same thing (assuming it gets through once) and maybe better. I'm not sure its worth playing either, but it isn't like its against the law to test. I run affinity, and I think that I may tinker with it. The deck has some flex spots.

I'm with you and convinced that Darksteel Amulet & Ensoul Artifact can be a thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Man, was the metallic myr cycle in the Scars a downgrade from the original art.

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/541

But I'm a sucker for more or less everything Kev Walker paints

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

jscolon2.0 posted:

I'm with you and convinced that Darksteel Amulet & Ensoul Artifact can be a thing.

Why darksteel amulet? Huh? Ornithopter and darksteel citadel, along with midgame springleaf drums are all better targets and already in affinity.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Mortimer posted:

Why darksteel amulet? Huh? Ornithopter and darksteel citadel, along with midgame springleaf drums are all better targets and already in affinity.

Redundancy for the indestructible. It's not as if 0 drops compete with each other. Would actually consider dropping the Drums and just curving lower.

2 mana 5/5 indestructibles!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

jscolon2.0 posted:

Redundancy for the indestructible. It's not as if 0 drops compete with each other. Would actually consider dropping the Drums and just curving lower.

No thank you please don't remove drums. Fast mana acceleration is what makes affinity great, ensoul artifact would be used either t1 for a quick flier/indestructible land or t4/5 to make your springleaf into something useful. If it's not your opening hand, you don't want to draw into a memnite. I'd rather see ensoul artifact every day of the week.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Ultima66 posted:

Generator Servant is just a color shifted version of that awful satyr you had to reluctantly play in Theros where even bronze sable was better in 90% of cases. People want to play this card lmao.

Except Generator servant gives the thing haste and doesn't require the startup mana, nor does it require you play two colors.

Also, When was Bronze Sable ever better in Theros? They're both pikers, but one of them has a sometimes relevant ability and is a green pip for devotion if that ever comes up.

The only upside I can think of is that, being colorless, it can go in non-green decks, but the problem there though is that in the other four colors, they all had better pikers they could be playing.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I would probably rather see a Myr Enforcer than a maybe 5/5 to be honest, but truthfully deck building is an essential step in nihilism and we must learn to understand.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

jscolon2.0 posted:

I think an evasive 5/5 is better than an indestructible 5/5 when they can both be hit with path

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

LordSaturn posted:

The article you're looking for is Who's the Beatdown. Mike Flores is kind of awful, but this article is actually really good and is the go-to "how to win games" guide for new players.

A reasonably good but less-time-tested guide focused on deck construction is Gavin Verhey's Zero to Sixty, which was the intro to his weekly mothership article about constructing and tuning decks.

Exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for thanks!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Ive never read any flores articles other than whos the beat down and its follow up, im curious as to why everyone dislikes him so much on message boards and podcasts? Never really heard anyone talking about him irl.

He seems cool enough, albeit a huge dork and nba fan (ugh) on the top8 magic podcast.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ultima66 posted:

It's better. The 2 mana at any time for no activation cost is strictly better than that satyr and the haste is relevant. That satyr sucked. You had to play RG for it to even be your 23rd card.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ive never read any flores articles other than whos the beat down and its follow up, im curious as to why everyone dislikes him so much on message boards and podcasts? Never really heard anyone talking about him irl.

He seems cool enough, albeit a huge dork and nba fan (ugh) on the top8 magic podcast.

No it's because he's an NBA fan you got it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

He's a gross PUA fucker, and is very into self-promotion. Only obsessed nerds bother to know enough about him to hate him.

Here's the unofficial Michael J "LOVE MIKE" Flores soundboard: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5965149/floresSB.swf

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Whos the beatdown was and is still really good, but he has really dropped in quality.

http://wrongwaygoback.com/wrongwaygoback/2012/11/19/the-unofficial-guide-to-the-official-misers-guide/

And he was the absolute worst commentator SCG has ever had at an open.

e - forgot a word.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 9, 2014

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Bugsy posted:

Whos the beatdown was and is still really good, but he has really dropped in quality.

http://wrongwaygoback.com/wrongwaygoback/2012/11/19/the-unofficial-guide-to-the-official-misers-guide/

And he was the absolute commentator SCG has ever had at an open.

Absolute what? Worst, I assume.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Cernunnos posted:

Absolute what? Worst, I assume.

Yes. I forgot the most important word there.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
So, uh

quote:

Vintage Masters Scheduled and Queue Events will retire on July 25 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific. But, like the best vintage rock stars, Vintage Masters will return for the Vintage Masters Championship Qualifiers Wednesday, August 13 to Tuesday, August 26.

Apparently when they said Vintage Masters was sticking around until Khans came out, they meant that you'll be able to buy packs in the store until Khans comes out. Drafts are ceasing to be on July 25th.

:geno:

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
Ah those vintage rock stars always returning for Vintage Masters Championship Qualifiers.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
Chubby Checker P1P1: Timetwister

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

What a Judas posted:

Pretty much everything Frank says is absurd, imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

What a Judas posted:

I don't buy this at all. They don't endorse any method of exchanging tix for real cash, so there can't be any argument that they support it. Permission by omission, perhaps? I suppose, but I fail to see how it becomes gambling at that point.

Yeah, I'm not buying that either. Doesn't every other online tcg use some form of gold or purchased currency? Hex seems to not be having any legal problems with their auction house. Is it because tickets are directly tradable to other players? That's about the only real difference I can find between tickets and everything else.

• Locked thread