Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Like he actually pulls anything or carries more than his bike around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
Yeah, it does weaken it, but it's a Tacoma, nobody was expecting much from it anyways. It's way better than the full-size truck guys who do it and then try and tow their race cars.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The tonneau is now under tension and won't open.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
load bearing tonneau

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I guess you could call it a soft shell Taco.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Mother of god. Not emptyquotin' this. :golfclap:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

:vince:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

:taco::master::taco:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Are those the wheels you ordered for the mustang? They look great on that truck!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mafoose posted:

Are those the wheels you ordered for the mustang? They look great on that truck!

So Rich used you to notch his frame, then he took your wheels?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamn. Notched frame or not, that's sharp.

Also shop kitty looks like my (almost) dead kitty. :smith:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

meatpimp posted:

So Rich used you to notch his frame, then he took your wheels?

We got them at the same time. Rich's are 17x9s all around and I am running 17x9 18x9.5 staggered.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

Goddamn. Notched frame or not, that's sharp.

Also shop kitty looks like my (almost) dead kitty. :smith:

He seemed alright, just dirty. At least someone is taking care of him now.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

:eyepop:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

It's super rough tonight, but I am migrating to a new theme for our website. This includes reorganizing all of the thousands of items we sell and scaling back.

https://www.rawbrokerage.com

A lot of the logo and artwork is temporary or place holders till I finish it this week.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

This looks way better than the first time I saw the RB website, which I can't remember when that was. Maybe when you first were starting on it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm glad Fucknag said what I was thinking :v:

That ECU looks snazzy as gently caress but I wince every time I see an aftermarket ECU with DB9/DE25 connectors and absolutely no thought put to weatherproofing. Some of us drive under conditions other than "sunny day on pavement", you know :banjo:

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

A rare photo of me welding - collect it!

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

CURRENCY CONVERSION WORKED IN YOUR FAVOR: Adaptronic ECU pricing is going to be lower than I said before when I upload them.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

kastein posted:

I'm glad Fucknag said what I was thinking :v:

That ECU looks snazzy as gently caress but I wince every time I see an aftermarket ECU with DB9/DE25 connectors and absolutely no thought put to weatherproofing. Some of us drive under conditions other than "sunny day on pavement", you know :banjo:

Would you really need to weatherproof your ECU on the inside of your car, though?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Lightbulb Out posted:

Would you really need to weatherproof your ECU on the inside of your car, though?

When your floor boards are rusted out and the only thing keeping you from fred flinstone mode is the carpet....

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Lightbulb Out posted:

My mom had a well-used Porsche 944 that killed its (stock) ECU after being parked in the rain with a leaky targa roof. I guess they didn't expect people to mistreat it like that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Computer viking posted:

My mom had a well-used Porsche 944 that killed its (stock) ECU after being parked in the rain with a leaky targa roof. I guess they didn't expect people to mistreat it like that.

Same with pretty much every 80s Audi. Any leak means water pools in the passenger floorboard, where the ECU lives.

Connector first, too!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Lightbulb Out posted:

Judging by the flash rust on every unpainted mild steel object under the dash of every jeep and subaru I've ever dismembered, the answer is yes.

Electronics don't like high humidity, especially if it condenses on surfaces. They don't like damp dust either. Both are common in offroad and rally environments.

And D-sub connectors just suck, sorry :v: the only reason they're still used is that they're sold everywhere, much like weatherpak connectors.

I'd love to see one with something like Delphi/FCI 2.8mm series or similar. Here's an example: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Delphi-Connection-Systems/HCCPHPE24BKA90F/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs7eK6h2EBtKgWB1t55%252bB6KviIraN%2fgI3c%3d

(and the datasheet: http://datasheet.octopart.com/HCCPHPE24BKA90F-FCI-datasheet-13737000.pdf )

18 1.5mm spaced pins for logic level signals and sensors, 6 2.8mm for power supply/etc. Add more connectors (different housings or keyings to prevent someone plugging them into the wrong things) as needed. You can even get multiple colors to make it painfully obvious which one goes where.

kastein fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 3, 2014

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Looks like our turbo kits are setting records again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY03nWkZSpk

I am waiting on dyno plot, but it's supposed to be making 1000awhp.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

:siren: Warning! I am in a really lovely mood from working a lot of hours. :siren:

Here is some stupid GTR that is a pain in my loving rear end. I sure am glad I have a deadline approaching when zero of the parts have arrived. At least I have wheels to taunt me.

The clutch in the Forester was chattering like a motherfucker and would not hold power at WOT. I ordered an Exedy OEM replacement clutch and flywheel. I also saw an explosion of CV grease under my car, and assumed my boot had ripped. Welp, guess what folks! Someone had already done all this work, including new axles. They just didn't clean off the grease. New-looking Exedy clutch, but it still didn't hold. Who knows, what a loving waste of money GOD drat IT.

Old.

New.

Rich hands.

Some stupid manifold I DON'T EVEN CARE.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I take it now wouldn't be a good time to ask if you took the time to break in the clutch?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

See that there is why after I did the rear main on the Protege, I used pretty much an entire can of brakleen spraying down every single clutch component until there was friction between my finger and metal. gently caress taking that poo poo apart again for old oil, and gently caress lazy bastards who don't do it and pass it on to you.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

mafoose posted:

I take it now wouldn't be a good time to ask if you took the time to break in the clutch?

I am taking it easy for the next 750 miles. I just put it in Saturday.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Fucknag posted:

See that there is why after I did the rear main on the Protege, I used pretty much an entire can of brakleen spraying down every single clutch component until there was friction between my finger and metal. gently caress taking that poo poo apart again for old oil, and gently caress lazy bastards who don't do it and pass it on to you.

I sprayed the poo poo out of the flywheel with brake cleaner first, I hope it did the trick. :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Could be a defective pressure plate/clutch cover?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

ultimateforce posted:

I sprayed the poo poo out of the flywheel with brake cleaner first, I hope it did the trick. :(

Did you resurface the flywheel?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Whenever I've resurfaced a flywheel on a Subaru I've always had tons of clutch chatter. I don't know why, and it's probable that I'm full of horseshit or imagining things, but after a few jobs I've always just bought a fresh one.

But it sounds like you put a new one in, so whatever (and your "hose the flywheel down with brake cleaner" method is what I did last time and it worked fine). Is your flywheel inspection plate missing?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 9, 2014

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I... I don't know if it is or not. I know my clutch is back to chattering with 100 miles on it.

I am about to pay to have a local Subaru shop look at it. So much for my coil-over budget.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I've always just hosed it down with brakleen and wiped it off with a brand new shop towel.

But then again when I did my MJ build I started with a used flywheel that came with the motor, used pilot bearing, used clutch disc from a completely different jeep, and a used pressure plate from a third vehicle. Bolted em all together and ran it. Clutch worked great from day one and has never given me a single problem. So I guess I used all my luck up on that.

Oh hey, here's how to actually break a clutch in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMMhDMwtQd8

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

I do an even mix highway and city on my commute. What do they want from me?!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Are you sure it's clutch chatter?
It could be bad motor/transmission mounts or... possibly... A bad center diff.
*scary music*

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Welp, time for that STi swap.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Do I want an '89 R32 GT-S?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
They're super popular here in Canada. RHD cars can be had quite cheaply but the cost to insure is much higher.

• Locked thread