Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Helmacron posted:

Is anybody signed up to these? Should I sign up to these? Also everyone in my house is doing various bachelor degrees in psych, social work, et cetera, and all ref pubmed constantly but only ever read the abstract to do this. "Mmm, yah, this seems related, citethisforme.com and done". Is this what all you did? Am I being a jerk-off?

That's moronic. They clearly have no intention of actually expanding their knowledge.

To answer your questions; Hell no, if that's what you're doing then yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Graduated from an accelerated program 2 months ago and have my BSN RN but am having no luck whatsoever finding anything in or around NYC. It's my understanding that it's much harder here than elsewhere, but at what point should I give up and start looking in other states/cities? Many people are saying it's taking at least six months to find something. Are there any specific tips I might benefit from? I'm getting ACLS certified and am using the few personal connections I have to the best of my ability but am now happy just to get a form letter saying I've been turned down as it reminds me that someone at least looked at my application.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Graduated from an accelerated program 2 months ago and have my BSN RN but am having no luck whatsoever finding anything in or around NYC. It's my understanding that it's much harder here than elsewhere, but at what point should I give up and start looking in other states/cities? Many people are saying it's taking at least six months to find something. Are there any specific tips I might benefit from? I'm getting ACLS certified and am using the few personal connections I have to the best of my ability but am now happy just to get a form letter saying I've been turned down as it reminds me that someone at least looked at my application.

Have you been visiting floors and knocking on doors per earlier recommendation?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

Yeah, anecdotally, the nurses who shadow on my floor seem to get hired more than those that don't. See if the unit you're looking at will at least let you shadow for a bit. Whoever they have you following is probably going to be informally asked their opinion after; at least that's kind of how we do it.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

This is difficult as I'm currently living outside the city but I'm prepared to give it a shot if I don't have any luck in the next few weeks.

It feels aggro and kind of outside the method (online applications) that nearly everyone has set up to be the easiest and most convenient for them but I also totally get how showing up in person with a paper resume and questions and a handshake would be infinitely helpful.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

If you're not stuck on NYC look across the U.S in cities that are appealing. Here in southern New Mexico and even up in Albuquerque there's a big nursing shortage, mainly in areas of new hire such as med/surg and whatnot.

Kansas is the same way.

edit: dear loving god I got the flight nurse job.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 3, 2014

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
Alright, officially not a criminal! Both of my background checks came back clear, and now I'm just anxiously awaiting August.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

MurderBot posted:

If you're not stuck on NYC look across the U.S in cities that are appealing. Here in southern New Mexico and even up in Albuquerque there's a big nursing shortage, mainly in areas of new hire such as med/surg and whatnot.

Kansas is the same way.

Hurray! Tell us about the interview.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

Hurray! Tell us about the interview.

Sucked. after a few handshakes they handed me a paper and pencil and started rattling off an E.R scenario. 8 year old kid who was tachypnic, tachycardic, febrile, a right lower lobe infiltrate with altered LOC.....go

so that went pretty lovely but I ended up arriving at the destination they were wanting.

After that it was 4 scenarios, about 3 of em trauma situations where it wasn't as in depth with what to do but more along the lines of what you thought may be going wrong and what pre treatment prior to transport you'd do.

then it was 6 12 lead EKG read-outs with treatments

followed by a 75 question test about things from basic chemistry to balloon pumps, lab values, you know it.

then an interview with 4 crew members about the usual "why should we hire you, what would you do if you saw this, what's your biggest weakness"

I need a bit more practice with...well everything they said, but they thought that it wouldn't take more than an orientation phase to get me up to snuff with critical care. Either way, I'm out of the rehab game come august, done with 5 days a week 8-5 and hello 24 hour shifts!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

MurderBot posted:

Congrats, that's awesome. Hoping to hear more about the orientation process too.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Started nursing school yesterday and I am one of 8 guys in a 72 person class. Not a problem... Right? I was talking to some of the other guys about who would crack first and we were undecided so far...

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Time to get laid. I did and am a drat goon.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm one of like 5 guys in my class of 56.

Of course, I'm also one of 3 single people in the class. Ended up dating one of the 2 single girls, but we decided that being in clinical 5 days per week and working every weekend isn't conducive to a happy relationship, so we're just friends again.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Being one of the 12 guys in my 160-80 class, I found that literally everyone was either 1) not single 2) single, but had a kid 3) insert something else weird here.

Well I'm married anyway so it didn't really matter. But man, my wife would give me the third degree whenever someone would text me.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
What type of program were you in? I got my BSN at a largish university that attracted young untied down people from all over the state. I could see how if you were getting your associates at the local CC it might be more older settled down people.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 10, 2014

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Bum the Sad posted:

What type of program were you in? I it my BSN at a largish university that attracted young untied down people from all over the state. I could see how if you were getting your associates at the local CC it might be more older settled down people.

You hit the nail on the head. It was a local CC that I really regretted going into. Took almost two months from date of graduation to get my ATT.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
CC 4 life. Now I'm working on an RN-to-BSN online program at a legit state university, and it's a complete joke.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm at a community college, and the girl I dated does in fact have a kid :v:

But she's absolutely amazing, and I definitely plan on asking her out again when we finish in may. Her kid's brilliant too :P

But yeah I'm planning on going to VCU for their ADN>BSN transition program. Still haven't decided what kind of work I'd like to focus on though.

I've had instructors suggest I could be well suited for emergency/trauma nursing, or to get my NP and be a semi independent healthcare provider.

Any thoughts on those possibilities?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Annath posted:

I've had instructors suggest I could be well suited for emergency/trauma nursing, or to get my NP and be a semi independent healthcare provider.

Any thoughts on those possibilities?

It's going to sound like a generic answer, but get a job when you're done and see what you like. I thought I would like trauma and absolutely hated it when I got there. There's so much more than the typical bedside nursing when you get some experience under your belt.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Cacafuego posted:

It's going to sound like a generic answer, but get a job when you're done and see what you like. I thought I would like trauma and absolutely hated it when I got there. There's so much more than the typical bedside nursing when you get some experience under your belt.

Haha, yeah I was expecting this answer. Cart before the horse and all that...

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

The instructor for my dosage class told us she thought she would NEVER under any circumstances wind up in Labor and Delivery. What's she been doing for the last 15 years? L&D.

Dirp
May 16, 2007
I was 1 of 8 guys in a class with 54 girls. Not only are those odds shooting fish in a barrel, but it turns out that girls are often friends with other girls!

Go for broke.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
I haven't worked with another guy on nights in a month or so. Luck of the draw plus 5:40 ish staff ratio.

It has been a ... less than optimal experience.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I just got hired to cicu after 2 years of telemetry/medical experience. Does anybody have any recommendations for websites or books dedicated to cardiac surgery? My unit didn't really do any post operative cardiac surgery so that's one thing that'll be pretty new to me and I'd like to have at least some idea about it before I dive into this new wonderful world of lunacy.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

Dr. Capco posted:

I just got hired to cicu after 2 years of telemetry/medical experience. Does anybody have any recommendations for websites or books dedicated to cardiac surgery? My unit didn't really do any post operative cardiac surgery so that's one thing that'll be pretty new to me and I'd like to have at least some idea about it before I dive into this new wonderful world of lunacy.

You should absolutely get this book. I started in cardiac surgery ICU as a new grad and I learned a ton from it.

http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Perioperative-Adult-Cardiac-Surgery/dp/1444331434

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
One guy in a class of thirty one girls. No way in hell am I going to try to date any of them though, just seems like a terrible idea.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Week one of nursing school

On the schedule...
"Hand washing"
:clint:
So that is how it's going to be, eh?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Oh my god, quit being Goony Goons. Yes, there are nurses who are males, big deal. It's your choice to go into the field of nursing.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Koivunen posted:

Oh my god, quit being Goony Goons. Yes, there are nurses who are males, big deal. It's your choice to go into the field of nursing.

You're literally the only person making anything out of it :confused:

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Annath posted:

You're literally the only person making anything out of it :confused:

There were a lot of new replies in this thread when I last looked, but most of them had to do with "There are THIS many guys in my nursing class :smug:!" Welcome to the world of being a nurse, where males are outnumbered. It doesn't mean you have to go on prowl.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Yes it does. Penetrate with gusto.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Day one of nursing school learned proper hand washing procedure and how hard it is for some people to take a blood pressure. Also saw the most informative and realistic videos on vital signs. Realistic in that they explain absolutely everything as they do it.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

White Chocolate posted:

Day one of nursing school learned proper hand washing procedure and how hard it is for some people to take a blood pressure. Also saw the most informative and realistic videos on vital signs. Realistic in that they explain absolutely everything as they do it.

Are you really good at taking blood pressures, then?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Helmacron posted:

Are you really good at taking blood pressures, then?

Yes as I am an EMT.

Day two of nursing school- bed baths, making a bed, hair, skin and nail care.

"Some women prefer a female nurse."
-prof(for a bed bath)
"Do some male prefer a male nurse."-student
"No"
Cue whole class laughing.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

White Chocolate posted:

Yes as I am an EMT.

-prof(for a bed bath)
"No"

You'd be surprised. Ive had a bunch of male patients hit on me. It did make it a little awkward and all the female nurses would tease me constantly, haha. I don't know if they assumed male nurse = gay or what.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

White Chocolate posted:

Yes as I am an EMT.

-prof(for a bed bath)
"No"

I tell you they sure do prefer a dude if they're getting a foley shoved up their penis.

And I would too. My coworker admitted to me yesterday "I don't have one of these, I just yank it around and do what needs to be done!"

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

I got my first interview!

....But it's to give flu-shots for two months for a concierge service in Manhattan.

If I'm offered the job should I take it? It pays well enough and would let me sublet a place in the city and is something I can put on my resume and if anything better/more permanent comes up I can always leave. It's not a med-surg hospital job but is there any reason I shouldn't go ahead and do it?

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I got my first interview!

....But it's to give flu-shots for two months for a concierge service in Manhattan.

If I'm offered the job should I take it? It pays well enough and would let me sublet a place in the city and is something I can put on my resume and if anything better/more permanent comes up I can always leave. It's not a med-surg hospital job but is there any reason I shouldn't go ahead and do it?

Because they're using you.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Did you ever decide to look in other places besides NYC? How many applications have you submitted? Even though the rumor is that RNs can find jobs anywhere, sometimes you have to look elsewhere. It took me six months and countless applications to find a job after graduation and I moved about 200 miles away from where I wanted to work. Now that I've been here for several years I couldn't have asked for a better job and I really like where I live.

That job sounds really lovely and I bet that if you interviewed for it, you would get it, because nobody else wants to do it. I guess it really depends on your financial situation. Do you absolutely need to be employed right now or could you wait and keep on looking? Giving shots is super boring and doesn't utilize any of the skills that you have learned as an RN. What are your long-term goals?

Expand your search horizons, but if you absolutely have to take the job, it's better than nothing. It also wouldn't be worth anything on a resume because all you're doing is giving shots. The reason you shouldn't take it is because it's a poo poo job and would be miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Said it once I'll say it again.

North Dakota.

Get you some.