Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

:megadeath:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

0lives posted:

I ran across two giant sponges in adventure mode, I was just walking down to the river when I heard some screaming. Turns out they hated each other and kept yelling at the other to surrender, or the occasional "Let's stop this pointless violence!" followed by a "Never!" Stuck eternally, next to someone you hate more than anything, unable to do anything but sling insults at each other.

Also as I took a running jump over the river (which was hella rad) the sponges saw me and for a moment were surprised. "What's this, are we under attack?" "An ambush!" Or something like that.

This is incredible. It's like something you'd see in a Pixar film.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Every time I try to start playing Dwarf Fortress things go well for a while then I get bogged down by the minutiae. Making certain each of my dwarves has a proper job, making sure that the kitchens aren't being staffed by lovely novices, making certain that the hunters aren't out fishing or making lovely crafts while my good craftsmen sit idle.

Even worse is the military interface. I spend so long going through and browsing each dwarf, trying to determine which one is useless, which one(s) to shove into the military, trying to organize everything into squads and set up training schedules and the like, that eventually I just give up because the whole thing stops being enjoyable and I get frustrated.

Has any of that improved with the latest version?

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Started an adventurer in a town hall and immediately everyone pulls out a knife and starts gutting two children while yelling nonsense. If this game had graphics, it would probably be banned everywhere.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

khy posted:

Every time I try to start playing Dwarf Fortress things go well for a while then I get bogged down by the minutiae. Making certain each of my dwarves has a proper job, making sure that the kitchens aren't being staffed by lovely novices, making certain that the hunters aren't out fishing or making lovely crafts while my good craftsmen sit idle.

Even worse is the military interface. I spend so long going through and browsing each dwarf, trying to determine which one is useless, which one(s) to shove into the military, trying to organize everything into squads and set up training schedules and the like, that eventually I just give up because the whole thing stops being enjoyable and I get frustrated.

Has any of that improved with the latest version?

Sounds like you never used dwarf therapist which gives you a nice UI of all your dwarfs and their skills and lets you reassign them with by clicking a box in the massive grid of dwarfs and skills. It's 3rd party and not updated to the new version yet.

The in game UI remains horrible for this.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Fortress mode is basically unplayable without Dwarf Therapist as far as I'm concerned, it should come bundled with every download of the game as a given.

Also, while experimenting in arena mode, I had a naked dwarf defeat an iron man by punching off both of its hands, then its head. No grappling or anything, just three quick punches, each knocking a body part clean off.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are Therapist's "role ratings" useful, or just Thistleknot doing his Rain Man thing?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Ive never played before, can I just install and start playing Adventure mode? Or should I watch a thousand youtube videos first?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The best dwarf fortress is when everyone is in the military and everyone does every job.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Well I'd like to see you come up with a better name.

:hf::black101:

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

LowellDND posted:

Ive never played before, can I just install and start playing Adventure mode? Or should I watch a thousand youtube videos first?

Starting right now because there was an update is a mistake. Don't think of DF2014 as released, because it's not. It gets released as soon as dwarf therapist and DFhack are updated to work with it. Think of this as like, an open alpha or something

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

You silently punch The Gloom Monster in the left hand from behind with your right hand, bruising the bone!
You silently bash The Gloom Monster in the lower body from behind with your silver maul, bruising the fat!
You silently punch The Gloom Monster in the upper body from behind with your right hand, bruising the muscle and bruising the left false ribs!
You silently punch The Gloom Monster in the neck from behind with your right hand, bruising the muscle!
You silently bite The Gloom Monster in the eye from behind and the eyelid is torn apart!
You latch on firmly!
The Gloom Monster breaks the grip of Your upper front teeth on The Gloom Monster's eye.
You silently bite The Gloom Monster in the eye from behind, tearing it!
You latch on firmly!
The Gloom Monster breaks the grip of Your upper front teeth on The Gloom Monster's eye.
You bite The Gloom Monster in the throat, tearing it!
You latch on firmly!
The Gloom Monster breaks the grip of Your upper front teeth on The Gloom Monster's throat.
You bite The Gloom Monster in the eye and the injured part is ripped into loose shreds!
You latch on firmly!
You bite The Gloom Monster in the right foot, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle!
You latch on firmly!
The Gloom Monster breaks the grip of Your upper front teeth on The Gloom Monster's right foot.
You bite The Gloom Monster in the right foot, tearing the muscle!
You latch on firmly!
You bite The Gloom Monster in the left foot, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle!
You latch on firmly!
The Gloom Monster breaks the grip of Your upper front teeth on The Gloom Monster's right foot.
The Gloom Monster breaks the grip of Your lower front teeth on The Gloom Monster's left foot.
You bite The Gloom Monster in the right foot, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle!
You latch on firmly!
You bite The Gloom Monster in the eye, tearing apart the eyelid!
You latch on firmly!
You bite The Gloom Monster in the eye, tearing it apart!
You latch on firmly!
The Gloom Monster breaks the grip of Your lower front teeth on The Gloom Monster's eye.

He still hasnt found me yet because I'm sneaking. :ninja:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

LowellDND posted:

Adventure is Hilarious right now so you might as well jump.
I would wait on starting fortress mode though.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

LowellDND posted:

I'm a DF Noob too -- I actually started with Fortress Mode. I tried Adventure Mode once and was quickly slain by the first encounter. I decided it wasn't for me.

I've gone through several fortress iterations, most of them succumbing to "fun" via flooding or zombie apocalypse.
Even now I still don't have a solid grasp on how to get archers to train regularly or how burrows work...

Definitely go through some youtube tutorials to get your bearings. The learning curve in this game is severe.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
By the way guys.

If you want the fps cap gone then change the number on "[G_FPS_CAP:50]" in the init.txt to something much higher.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

pixaal posted:

Sounds like you never used dwarf therapist which gives you a nice UI of all your dwarfs and their skills and lets you reassign them with by clicking a box in the massive grid of dwarfs and skills. It's 3rd party and not updated to the new version yet.

The in game UI remains horrible for this.

Even Therapist isn't exactly the world's friendliest tool. It's a huge grid of boxes filled with other boxes of varying sizes to represent skills, which can make it hard to identify at a glance what skill each dwarf has.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Oh dear.

moller fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 9, 2014

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Why am I only punching animals when I go to engage them? I'd like to, you know, use the sword I've got in my hand.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Press shift-A to go to the detailed attack menu and choose something actually sensible.

Every time you have an opportunity to attack, a couple randomly selected options will have a bonus to accuracy or damage, indicated in the detailed menu with a green + or cyan ! to the right. If you just walk into an enemy to attack instead of doing a detailed attack, it's much more likely to choose one of the buffed attacks, even if it's something stupid like punching your target's left pinky instead of slashing at his torso. For what it's worth, the move attack options seemed to be quite a bit more useful in the previous version than this one. I'm not sure if this is me misremembering, a bug, or something to do with the new combat system.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I managed 6 seperate bite attacks before my mouth was full.

I'm still fighting him. He still hasnt noticed.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

khy posted:

Even Therapist isn't exactly the world's friendliest tool. It's a huge grid of boxes filled with other boxes of varying sizes to represent skills, which can make it hard to identify at a glance what skill each dwarf has.

How else do you want it to work? Automatically assign dwarfs things to do?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Can't seem to play for more than a few minutes in Dwarf Mode, usually crashes while I'm trying to work around/through an aquifer.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Don't let your merchants get stuck in trees people. Now I've got a berserk caravan yak rampaging across my map.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Crimson Harvest posted:

Can't seem to play for more than a few minutes in Dwarf Mode, usually crashes while I'm trying to work around/through an aquifer.

I know that, with the LazyNewb pack at least, you can turn off aquifers. That would probably save your processor a lot of work keeping track of flowing water.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Its crashing too often to be fun for me. :cry:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Dwarven tunnels are extremely expansive. I have no loving idea where I am and I'm out of food.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

Dwarven tunnels are extremely expansive. I have no loving idea where I am and I'm out of food.

Press x while standing over a corpse and watch your food worries disappear. :getin:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

GorfZaplen posted:

I have no loving idea where I am and I'm out of food.

Also a good thread title.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
So, Uh. How do I get my dwarfs to pick up all these juicy apples laying around?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
So, is Toady trans positive, or an MRA?

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
I am a baddie with a baddie questions: I am looking to equip and keep my civvies in some basic armor, so would I have to keep them in an active/training squad at all times? I tried to station my civ squad at the armor stock pile, but then they would strip right after I canceled the station order. I have the uniforms set to replace clothing and set to be worm while inactive.

For my next baddie question: Can a dwarf die of hunger/thirst while operating a screw pump? I've never seen one actually leave the pump to go eat/drink/rest.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I have had many a shoulder-watcher ask what all those periods and commas are. They don't believe me when I tell them it's grass or whatever.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

How do you wake people up if it's night so you can request permission to stay?

I got murdered by a bogeyman because I was too loaded down to get inside fast enough, since when I tried to rest inside I just got the mayor going "can I help you?" without waking up.

Also you can't put people in chokeholds if you grab their NECK. You have to grab their THROAT. :downs:

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

Can anyone suggest some worthwhile let's plays to watch?
I'd like to get into DF but it's too intimidating to jump right in, I've tried a couple times before with not much luck.

I care more about being entertained than learning all the ins and outs, so something that's entertaining/hilarious but still educational would be great

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Zereth posted:

How do you wake people up if it's night so you can request permission to stay?

I got murdered by a bogeyman because I was too loaded down to get inside fast enough, since when I tried to rest inside I just got the mayor going "can I help you?" without waking up.

Also you can't put people in chokeholds if you grab their NECK. You have to grab their THROAT. :downs:

Usually if you try to go to sleep inside of a house without asking someone will magically wake up and ask you what you want.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GorfZaplen posted:

Usually if you try to go to sleep inside of a house without asking someone will magically wake up and ask you what you want.
Oh so maybe I needed to go that when he was close enough I could see him to talk to him.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
generating a small world made it not crash

im also doing an above ground fort to make use of the huge amounts of wood, though.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.
I've now started several Forts.

The first several all wound up being unplayable because I generated Large worlds.

In the first fort I generated in a Small world, it ran fine - but, for a reason I cannot say I understand, one of my initial seven dwarves was King. Due to my inability to meet his demands for Royal accommodations and things made of Tin, he quickly went mad, and things went downhill very fast.

My second small starting area was going great - no errant nobles - and then a goblin caravan showed up. They seem to have somehow wedged themselves halfway over the edge of a waterfall, and the animals pulling the wagon are terrified (And also hanging in the open air) and my FPS has dropped to 1. I think this is gonna have to be scrapped.

I might come back to this in a few weeks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
oh gosh leaves fall off of trees and use the same sort of style as smoke or mist

its pretty