Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Kayle7 posted:

Starting right now because there was an update is a mistake. Don't think of DF2014 as released, because it's not. It gets released as soon as dwarf therapist and DFhack are updated to work with it. Think of this as like, an open alpha or something

Ever since DFHack had that Dwarf Monitor plugin that does pretty much the same thing in-game, following DT development hasn't been as vital. DFHack is the big thing.

Speaking of the big thing, this is where progress with charting memory gets displayed. The fewer things get UNCHECKED, the closer we are to a release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Anemone Thief posted:

Can anyone suggest some worthwhile let's plays to watch?
I'd like to get into DF but it's too intimidating to jump right in, I've tried a couple times before with not much luck.

I care more about being entertained than learning all the ins and outs, so something that's entertaining/hilarious but still educational would be great

Boatmurdered is the usual starting recommendation. It's from a very old version but still entertains.

The DF LPs then got progressively longer and more "narrative" (i.e. wordy). My personal favorite from the newer ones is, of course, Gemclod.

EDIT:

scamtank posted:

Ever since DFHack had that Dwarf Monitor plugin that does pretty much the same thing in-game, following DT development hasn't been as vital. DFHack is the big thing.

Also, DFHack has a plugin that automatically sets labours as needed. It is THE thing. Play Dwarf Fortress without ever having to care about job assignment (except miners and woodcutters IIRC).

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jul 9, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i start my day with a generous helping of smooshed devlog

Toady One posted:

Hopefully people have been able to glean some enjoyment from this version! It seems you shouldn't try to talk to your deity (crash) or block an attack (crash), and there are other crashes associated to having a fort that are under investigation.

Having a larger world causes the calendar to lag a great deal (which also affects fort FPS) -- I have several angles on that, and until then trying a smaller world with a shorter history can make it go faster. There are other issues, like flying animals falling out of the sky, mystery babies appearing all over the place, no dwarf-sized equipment in places where it should be, cordial night creatures... I'll try to nab as many of these as possible as we go. It shouldn't be very long before the first fix release is up, depending on how long it takes to squash the worst offenders. I'm starting in the morning (today was mega email day) and I'll go until I have a decent enough haul.

Until then, keep playing and reporting your problems! I'll keep you updated on the cleaning effort here, and it should also be possible to monitor the status of bugs on the tracker once I get back in the swing of things.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

oh gosh leaves fall off of trees and use the same sort of style as smoke or mist

its pretty

it's actually kinda illegal how pretty these goddamn text trees are

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
New Dwarf Fortress versions pretty much embody the "awesome to read about, not so awesome to play" reputation it has.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I just got my face smashed in by boogeymen again. Why did I not consider them a threat last time I played adventure mode :psydwarf:

... Oh wait I was a legendary shield user vampire, right. Is there a way to wait a significant amount of time now? I recall grabbing some inoffensive wildlife, lying down, and letting it flail helplessly at my shield to level my shield skill.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Million Ghosts posted:

New Dwarf Fortress versions pretty much embody the "awesome to read about, not so awesome to play" reputation it has.

I dunno, watching a sea of cherry blossoms descend upon your map is pretty awesome

Hm I wonder what glumprongs look like now

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Always remember, LOSING IS FUN. Crashes and post-update shenanigans are all part of that. The same amount of goofy poo poo happens on average in the setting up of a fort as it does in the eventual slow decline after a couple of years, so who really cares if some dumb poo poo gets in the way and borks up a fort you just started.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I fell into a goblin ambush. After he shot me in the arm, I chopped his leg off and ate it in front of him before pelting him with his own bones. We then engaged in a yelling match about our victories, then he decided to join me in adventure.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Ignimbrite posted:

Since you can spawn trees of arbitratry age in the Arena now, that's easy to check!!!

Nothing special, really. All trunk, kinda like thick root systems pointing at the sky. Pretty short, too.

Blood thorns have short trunks and huuuge canopies of branches and twigs, no leaves. Feather trees don't have leaves, they have down :3:

scamtank fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 9, 2014

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
I got this wonderful little tidbit from the little brother, who also loves DF.

PyroG posted:

well actually, i have cut three trees down so far and my woodman still has one of his arms, the birds were tasty, my corpse stockpile is mile high

[later]

ahem* err... almost the entirety of the dwarven civilization i'm a part of is err... run by goblins!

Leperflesh would be very sad at hearing this.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Ignimbrite posted:

I dunno, watching a sea of cherry blossoms descend upon your map is pretty awesome

I had a weird fortress that looked like something out of a lovecraft book not long ago. The lowest cavern level was overrun with something called "blood thorns". Which acted like little tree branches and looked like they were coated with blood. They appeared to be slowly creeping up the circular round stairway the dwarves had carved into the earth.

Apparently something had breached the walls of the place (In fact, 100 years later, the rotten corpses were still there. Presumably because it had been sealed up.) since not long after I showed up water started to flood the main hall. Eventually I had to lock it off. Disturbingly enough, the walls surrounding the circular staircase on the last cavern level were intact, except for one tile surrounded by bloodthorns, which would have been enough to let something creep through.

On the plus side apparently this fort had been going so long that they had industrialized hell and even partially colonized it, given the second fort down there. Which probably explains why everyone died. There were like 175 magma metalsmith forges down at the bottom of the fort, just neatly lined up and sometimes absolutely coated in gore. :stare:

Does anyone know if you can change the embark size for pre-existing fortresses yet? Or if embark anywhere works/had been updated to work yet for this version? I could put up with the lack of Masterwork features if it was possible. But drat the map is small. Still trying to figure out what being a lieutenant or hearthperson does, along with claiming a site too. The head of a criminal empire offered me a position as his lieutenant and I had no idea what it actually did.

Also, Masterwork just had a dev version come up yesterday featuring an alpha of the new race, humans. They are ridiculously trade oriented. You can even hire on other races as mercenaries. You can even make those markets like in adventure mode and proper human towns. :allears:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jul 9, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I'm happy to report that the merry Russian wasn't lying - dfint.exe (that string patcher) still works. I'll have to revise the templates for all the new strings and the old ones that were purged, though.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
My cheated up super-adventurer just received a !!mortal wound!! because one of the goblins he was effortlessly slaughtering tripped into him and sent him flying down two flights of stairs.

He proceeded to crawl back up and finished the job, then slept off his collapsed left lung and massive bruising in one night.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Just had a go at adventure mode. I was offered a dwarven hero, and began in a fortress. I was horrified to see how many goblins were there, accepted amongst the dwarves.
So I committed some racial hate crimes until I was overwhelmed and killed.

Then, as an elven peasant, I killed a human farmer and ate his brain in front of his friends.

Adventure mode is fuckin' weird.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Yeah you get !!mortal wound!! if a vital organ is damaged, which includes bruising. I've got it from having my heart get bruised, which probably would be a pretty big problem in real terms but DF doesnt really do internal bleeding or organ failure so it sort of did a whole not of nothing.

e: also be aware that looking at the relationships of certain dwarves can cause instant ctd, for whatever reason.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I gave adventuremodo a go, too.

Pursued a giant hamster through a thick willow patch in the middle of the night, gave it a good chop in the back of the head with my scimitar, beheaded it, butchered it and set the giblets on fire. Then I climbed a tree and slept until the morning light.

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

Splode posted:

Then, as an elven peasant, I killed a human farmer and ate his brain in front of his friends.

It was inevitable.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I bragged about my murder of a bandit to his captain, which resulted in the captain immediately becoming Enranged! and smashing a point blank arrow into my face, killing me instantly.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Splode posted:

Adventure mode is fuckin' weird.

Would you like to try some, Clarice?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Archonex posted:

I had a weird fortress that looked like something out of a lovecraft book not long ago.

Bloodthorns are a common cavern tree when the caverns are dry, but christ that's still horrifying :stare:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

scamtank posted:

I gave adventuremodo a go, too.

Pursued a giant hamster through a thick willow patch in the middle of the night, gave it a good chop in the back of the head with my scimitar, beheaded it, butchered it and set the giblets on fire. Then I climbed a tree and slept until the morning light.

Oh wait, can you evade boogeyman by climbing on trees now?

Finally!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

it's actually kinda illegal how pretty these goddamn text trees are

No kidding. My current fort is in a gorgeous forest at the base of a mirthful mountain, with a babbling brook and shitloads of bushes, herbs, and vines to harvest. I even have swans on my map. I was going to build a big bustling cavern fort, but now I'm building wooden bridges and platforms in the trees so my dwarves can wander amongst the leaves and blossoms while I build up my food- and drink- based economy.

The new boozes are great. This fort has several types of wine and beer already. It's like some sort of treetop microbrewery commune.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Oh my god. I lost about 4 dwarves to another bastard zombie and now my dwarves are experiencing emotional shock from going to haul the bodies to the coffins. This game :allears:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So it turns out that embark anywhere may work in DF 2014. The only problem I have is that my antivirus program is saying it's actually a keylogger designed to steal video game account details. I got it to work once and then it crashed when it quarantined the file as a virus. Anyone know anything about that? :stonk:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 9, 2014

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
periodic reminder you can grab release from my mirror (http://kremlin.cc/dfmirror/) if the main site is too slow.

Keep up the stories! These are amazing!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Seconding keeping the stories coming! This poo poo is the tits.

I haven't played DF for like two years but definitely need to get back into it when I get back home (...next month).

Could someone make a GIF of the new leaves/cherry blossoms falling mechanic? I'd love to see how that looks :allears: Thanks in advance!

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

I kind of wish the Buildings and furniture had sensible layouts. Right now, they are completely randomly generated, which I actually don't like that much. I don't care if it'd mean seeing the same exact layout several thousand times, I would kill for a tavern that had an actual counters and bar stools, along with rooms for those willing to rent. But that's just me, personally.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Has anyone figured out how soil-layer tree farms work yet? I'm assuming they won't grow to full size in a single z-level space, so do you have to channel out two levels to get them to grow?

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

super fart shooter posted:

Has anyone figured out how soil-layer tree farms work yet? I'm assuming they won't grow to full size in a single z-level space, so do you have to channel out two levels to get them to grow?

I'm not sure they're even possible. Trees look like they can extend upwards of five or so z-levels, and I don't know if the soil even extends down that far on even the most soil heavy maps.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Generated a Small world and managed to play fortress mode for a few hours. Of course then I got a migrant wave of about 30, so I had to quit because gently caress managing that by hand.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
eta on dwarf therapist?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
haven't seen any activity from the maintainers in the DF modding forum

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Baloogan posted:

eta on dwarf therapist?

The sooner the better. It's been so long since I used the P>L system in game that I've only recently rediscovered how horrible it is.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I'll try to keep track of the progress in the OP.

I also sprinkled some v0.40.01 cheer all over it to sell the atmosphere.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

So what does Dwarf Therapist actually do, anyway? Is it just for jobs of people? I never found that very tedious, guess I'm lucky. :v:

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

0lives posted:

So what does Dwarf Therapist actually do, anyway? Is it just for jobs of people? I never found that very tedious, guess I'm lucky. :v:

It's basically a GUI for managing them. You still have to do a lot of manual work, just not by the awful interface of vanilla DF. Getting good at Dwarf Therapist is a lot faster than getting good at DF interface.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
An evil purple cloud spawned and bee-lined towards my just-turned-summer fortress.

All the dwarves were luckily downstairs, but it turned the animals in the pen upstairs into zombies that ripped each other's heads off. A few "cursed" dogs and rams left. Sadly, all my food stores are on the surface next to the pen... so...

Poisonous, monster-creating clouds is a new one for me.

TasmanianX fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 9, 2014

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I can't seem to stop playing DF2012. I'm determined to have ONE successful adventurer; all of my attempts thus far have ended rather quickly.

Any tips and advice for making an adventurer into an unstoppable warlord?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

So I decided to kill some random bandits for the heroism, running into their camp and killing one of them. I figured that I would try and taunt the rest, so I choose the yell command and selected brag about violent deeds.

... I don't think my character quite understands the meaning of 'notable kill'.