Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I'm not as happy as I could be because 7-0 would have been so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

El Jebus posted:

Actually, Ozil didn't score.
Holy sh:pwn:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Just back from midnight fishing and beers, did I really watch Germany hatefuck Brazil to the tune of 7-1 earlier today?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

im pretty sure they play tomorrow probably gonna be 0-0 and go to penalties

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Satisfaction Guaranteed posted:

The portuguese language annoys me so I'm happy Brazil lost.

Apparently it really annoys the German team, too.
Germany vs:
English speaking teams: 1w, 1d, 3 goals for, 2 against
French speaking teams (in regulation): 1w, 1d, 1 goal for, 0 against
Portuguese speaking teams: 2 w, 11 goals for, 1 against.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

African AIDS cum posted:

Just back from midnight fishing and beers, did I really watch Germany hatefuck Brazil to the tune of 7-1 earlier today?

You did, and Joseph Mengele is smiling down from heaven.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

African AIDS cum posted:

They tattooed them, op.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Maradonna Summer posted:

quote:

Well technically Germany has a living pope, too.
it took ages to get one though, they had black smoke coming out of chimneys for years

:cawg::cawg::cawg::cawg::cawg:
took me a moment

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Just woke up, were there actually riots in Brazil or anything? Are the players all dead?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

vyelkin posted:

Just woke up, were there actually riots in Brazil or anything? Are the players all dead?

no and no.

my mates who are there reckon they're taking it reasonably well.

it's only a game after all.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

7-1 lmao i would kill myself if i was Brazillian (if the malnutrition, cholera, and another disease, HADNT DONE SO FIRST)

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Animated map of tweets worldwide during the game. Evidently the most-discussed sports event they've ever had.

https://twitter.com/TwitterData/status/486674802682257409

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Seven to god drat one against brazil at home i mean brazillians should do a mass suicide, I'll tell my grandkids about this day

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Omi-Polari posted:

they look like their home city had just been wiped out by a meteor like in starship troopers

"I'm from Buenos Aires and I say kill em all"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Can anyone come up with a clever maginot line related pun?

Something like:
What do you call Scolari's squad selection for the semi final against Germany? The maginot line-up.

Only funny, Tia.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jet Jaguar posted:

Animated map of tweets worldwide during the game. Evidently the most-discussed sports event they've ever had.

Australia missed out.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

Australia missed out.

I assume because it was the early morning there?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Enigma89 posted:

I have been a bit insulated from the World Cup fervor because I am back in the US and was watching the game while working but after spending the rest of the day looking at reaction videos it's such a beautiful thing.

What a great game, Germany just loving destroyed an entire nation on a pitch and it was so clear cut. I really wish I was back in Berlin for the final.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62SEk8eSpl0

19:30 - 31:18 - 33:07 - 34:19 - 37:58 - 1:33:48 - 1:43:38

Are the goals

This is beautiful. I love how they still have the energy to cheer the second half goals almost as much as the first half ones.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chinatown posted:

I assume because it was the early morning there?

Get the gently caress up you lazy blokes. It's the fuckin wc. phwoar

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nine hours later and I still can't quite process how this happened.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Jet Jaguar posted:

are you sure this isn't the ww2 theater of war?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

African AIDS cum posted:

Seven to god drat one against brazil at home i mean brazillians should do a mass suicide, I'll tell my grandkids about this day

Gather around kids and let grandpa tell you of the day Germany conquered an entire nation without having killed a man.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Agrajag posted:

Gather around kids and let grandpa tell you of the day Germany conquered an entire nation without having killed a man.
Oh I'm pretty sure they killed at least eleven men.

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender
Besides Germans rooting for their national team, why is everyone here so excited to see Brazil lose so badly? Are they villains?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

maninacape posted:

Besides Germans rooting for their national team, why is everyone here so excited to see Brazil lose so badly? Are they villains?

We are all big Hitler fans. Hitler was really good.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

maninacape posted:

Well i'm a big fan of hitler and I think he was realy good.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

this is still the best

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Palpek posted:

this is still the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBBu7SZJxJ0

Also:

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Força Neymar

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The online odds were always listed dramatically in Brazil's favor using data apparently compiled by people who didn't actually watch them play any matches over the past 3 weeks. Even this morning, without Silva or Neymar, they were favored heavily. I don't think anyone expected THIS result, but it was annoying to see IMO unfounded confidence in Brazil taking it all.

also lol brazil and fifa 11 billion dollars stadiums in the rainforest used four times lol

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

this gif gives me way more pleasure than it should. i am so disappointed in myself

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

maninacape posted:

Brazil didn't play that well during the World Cup and kept getting gifts from refs in their favor, got lucky with other teams' disposition, they're also the organizers, favorites, they had overwhelming crowd support etc. This match finally brought the veil of bullshit down uncovering a crying child in an oversized yellow-green outfit.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Got the touchdown and made the extra point good job football.

E:

The brazilfan.jpg I'm seeing the least right now but that is also good

raton fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 9, 2014

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

maninacape posted:

i think so. my guess? they (were, at least) both the presumed champions while also being really overhyped. and they have a reputation for thuggish, brutal play that intimidates their opponents into submission.

which partly explains why they imploded so catastrophically. the brutal play resulted in neymar getting kicked in the back and silva getting benched. so all they had left were beefed-up enforcers. eventually they were going to run into an opponent that would not be intimidated and would show no mercy. and when brazil did, they were without two of their key players.

so it's tragic but it's like a pleasurable greek tragedy where brazil totally deserves what they got.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Palpek posted:

Brazil didn't play that well during the World Cup and kept getting gifts from refs in their favor, got lucky with other teams' disposition, they're also the organizers, favorites, they had overwhelming crowd support etc. This match finally brought the veil of bullshit down uncovering a crying child in an oversized yellow-green outfit.
Also everyone always talks about THE SAMBA FOOTBALL even though that poo poo basically died about 20 years ago when they won the World Cup by winning every knockout-round match 1-0 and then the final on penalties after a 0-0 draw. And now Brazil's basically just a football colony of Europe anyway. They didn't even have a token dude from a domestic club team in the squad.

Also Germany loving owns

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
it's like watching the classroom bully get the mother of all beatdowns:

quote:

Scolari’s art has always been so obvious that when, prior to the ’02 World Cup, it was coined “bullyball,” what else could you do but nod your head in agreement? Bullyball. Such a simple, proud, and ridiculous idea. Close spaces. Intimidate. Kick. In Japan and South Korea, Scolari only played with three recognized defenders. But he also had Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Roberto Carlos, and Cafú on that team. You need to have the capacity to intimidate with the ball. Brazil, with Neymar out was always going to prove incapable of that. So Scolari opted to go all in on intimating without the ball. Enter Dante for Thiago Silva and re-enter Luiz Gustavo after his suspension. And just like that, any mental edge Brazil hoped to have in a game against Germany was gone.

A simple enough decision, Brazil's inclusion of Dante and Luiz Gustavo. Safe. Some would say sensible. But these are two players who, no surprise, rely entirely on physicality. And they weren't going to concern the German players in the slightest. Dante is the weak link in the Bayern defense and for his part Gustavo was cut loose from Bayern prior to last season. Never underestimate how much your plans go to mash when you rely on intimidation and the opposition doesn't give the slightest drat. It’s the smallest things in a defensive player that can cause an opposing player to pause, be it that their uncertainty of the defender's speed, reaction time, or inclination to challenge violently. Conversely, the greatest aid to player is comfort. In short, the two players added to Brazil’s lineup with the mission of discomforting the Germans were two players with whom the Germans were resoundingly familiar. And the German midfield certainly played like it.

The funny thing about teams designed to live by the result is that in their compact, course minimalism—in which the idea of conceding two goals is an unthinkable nightmare—seduces them into the false security of believing that only one type of result exists: the low score. If you decide that football is about the results, that’s fine, but then you have to be prepared to live with 1-7. That, after all, is also a result.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/118608/2014-world-cup-brazils-bullyball-goes-belly

• Locked thread