Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Since we're discussing alternatives to GW , does anyone have some recommendations for maybe some Daemon models?

I've asked before but not really found much.

http://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=259

I used these for my Flesh Hounds and they're great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Someone make an Unbound army of Orkbliterators right this second for the glory of Chaos. Right the gently caress now.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Post 9-11 User posted:

Begone, vile temptor! Good thing I have no money, I would love to snag those robe-bros, would probably make them into spooky death company (I have Dark Angels and Blood Angels, trying to model and style them to be mix-and-match as I please).

I'm using my robed marines as the veteran sergeants for my squads, as opposed to the standard scrubs that are my sergeants when I'm feeling like skimping on points.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

AbusePuppy posted:

I... I'm not sure I like it. It does mean a LOT more page-flipping, although they are at least nice enough to give you page references for everything. Still, the really short unit entries feel pretty weak overall (oh, hey, thanks for the half-page photoshop job of a model from each unit, that's something I couldn't see on the internet) and I find the army listing to be a lot harder to read overall. It's not catastrophic or anything, just annoying.

I do like that all of the wargear is together- the semi-arbitrary distinction between "unit-specific wargear" and "generic wargear" was always kinda weird before, because often enough there was not actually a difference, but a lot of other parts of it bother me.

Yeah, I think the page flipping will make writing a list more tedious. I do like the improved organization. They could kill two birds with one stone by going back to smaller art pieces and using the space to add unit fluff.

I do like that there is a page of fluff for each clan. One of the benefits of the reorganization seems to be more room for general faction fluff.

God, I feel like I just wrote a charm to summon the Snuggle Bear.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I know how they're supposed to hold them, I just find it finicky to get all three pieces lined up correctly so I wasn't sure if there was a process people used

I usually get the gun glued onto the right hand (In the grim darkness of the far future, there are no lefties!) first, then dryfit both to get the desired positioning. I usually glue the right arm on first, then once the glue dries the left arm should slot into place pretty easily.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Since we're discussing alternatives to GW , does anyone have some recommendations for maybe some Daemon models?

I've asked before but not really found much.

Depends on what you need the daemons for, a Codex: CD army or as Malefic-fodder for another army? Krursk had an idea for a ton of his Ork boys; paint them up to look spectral and have them as counts-as Bloodletters (Summoned in as the spirits of WAAAAAUGHS! past).

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

On a side note, does anyone know how to get ahold of or kitbash a shitton of Warbuggies? 30pts for TL rokkits is just too good to pass up, and all I have are 2 Wartrakks. The Kromlech ones are badass-looking, but significantly more expensive than finding used GW ones on eBay to kitbash into something halfway decent-looking.

Adding to what NTRabbit said, Ramshackle Games.

Even cheaper (Orkier) than that is what I did this weekend. Go to a dollar store and buy up a bunch of those cheap monster truck knock offs. Cover with plasticard & gubbins then call it day. I finally found a use for all those rokkits my Dakkajet came with, too.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

How many killsaws is a good amount for a 5-man meganob squad? They're all currently modeled with kombi skorchas, except for the one I just made into a dual killsaw setup. Now I'm trying to decide if I should convert another, or maybe make one of them into a big mek?

I already have a megaboss, not sure if that's really necessary.

Alternately, does anyone know of any good trukk alternatives? I'm thinking about picking up a third and I don't feel like kitbashing it but I also don't want it to look like my GW trukk.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 9, 2014

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Well any vehicle you attack you'll pretty much be charging. So one MAN with killsaws gets 5 attacks at Str 9 with 2x dice to pen. Even a land raider would have a hard time shrugging that off, an that doesn't count any other MANz with him.

IMO Killsaws are overkill but if you like em go for it.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

As some of you may recall. Ghost Hand and I caught up on my recent trip to LA.

We played a pretty spectacular game of Death Guard Vs Ultramarines but also filmed this comedy sketch together.

http://youtu.be/kM4u1UJpNY4

Check it out it's probably the gooniest thing I ever gooned.

The only thing I don't like is that I couldn't think of a drat thing to say at the end, so I just stood there grinning like an idiot (the day and game was totally fun - hence the grin!)

Thanks Cataphract for letting me hang out with you for the day. I've been waiting for this video to come out so I could relive my humiliating defeat over and over again!

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

CyberLord XP posted:

Well any vehicle you attack you'll pretty much be charging. So one MAN with killsaws gets 5 attacks at Str 9 with 2x dice to pen. Even a land raider would have a hard time shrugging that off, an that doesn't count any other MANz with him.

IMO Killsaws are overkill but if you like em go for it.

I think one Killsaw in a squad is a good insurance against Knights and other walkers; S8 is hard-pressed to deal with AV13 before they get cleaned out entirely. I don't remember what they pay for them offhand, though...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I didn't think that video was very goony, I found it genuinely cute and funny.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

AbusePuppy posted:

I think one Killsaw in a squad is a good insurance against Knights and other walkers; S8 is hard-pressed to deal with AV13 before they get cleaned out entirely. I don't remember what they pay for them offhand, though...

+10 points for 2d6 armor pen and an extra attack. There are worse ways to spend points.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

So, um, I did a thing.

I should preface this by saying that I based my meganobz on classic megaman bosses. They are, after all, mans! I've got Guts Man, Cut Man, Metal Man, Heat Man and Snake Man. Until now, they've all been equipped with kombi-skorchas. But I really like the look of killsaws on meganobz, so I hacked up those big buzzsaw choppas from the nob sprue and gave metal man the saws he's always deserved.

I decided I like the idea of 2 out of 5 manz having the killsaw, but wanted to go with a more nontraditional one for my other nob [to keep metal man more unique, mostly]. I dug through the big pile of potential stompa/old toy bitz I recently retrieved from my parents' house, and found these little gundam hands.

Admittedly, it's a little much even for me. But I'm adding a bosspole to the squad as well [that one's just wedged in there right now. the arms are too, actually] and I think it makes sense for one of the nobz to be more badass than the others if he's gonna have the pole. This guy already had the most badass face-mask, and in megaman Guts Man is also the largest of these robot masters.

I really like the way it looks! The upper arms are really big, but I think it gives it a gorilla-like proportion to them. But it's big. Like, really big. He's almost as big as my warboss now.

Is it too much? Am I flying too close to the sun? Is this one of those things that I will think is awesome until the second I finish it?
Am I blinded by how cool it is thinking about guts man suplexing a dreadnought?

[bear in mind, I am pretty sure I can pull this off. I guess I just don't want there to be any confusion about who the boss is.]

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 9, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There's a Nazi image tag on Dakkadakka

http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/tag/1760-Nazi.html

:stare:

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Ignite Memories posted:

Robot MANZsters

'Eck no, you ain't flyin' too close to da sun. If it gets in your eye, just launch your next WAAAGH! against it, like that one ork swore against the moon in our new fluff :orks101:

Also, this inspires me to model a painboy like the Medic from TF2 and a Warboss or Big Mek as the Heavy.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, I think most of their stuff is hideous, but I'm glad there are people who like their stuff because that will hopefully keep them around long enough to start making good looking models.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I hope some actual ex-GW sculptors come show them how not-40k is done. I like that they stand as a company that can do plastic minis and do an army-scale game to try and match 40k, but I don't like their aesthetics (generally not enough focus, like a cool idea here and there that don't work together) and the material/casting quality is all over the place.
A lot of folks on Dakka play historical wargames, so I don't mind it. Then I see the Nazi IG armies and... sigh.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

SRM posted:

Couldn't have said it better myself. I hope some actual ex-GW sculptors come show them how not-40k is done. I like that they stand as a company that can do plastic minis and do an army-scale game to try and match 40k, but I don't like their aesthetics (generally not enough focus, like a cool idea here and there that don't work together) and the material/casting quality is all over the place.

Since they're not making not-40k, I'd rather they simply went with the best sculptors, rather than getting the best of the dregs left in the sinking ship because 40k and GW. As it is, they already make plenty of excellent sculpts, they just get ignored by people with GW aesthetic blinders on. More vehicles will be about next year.

Springfield Fatts posted:

Adding to what NTRabbit said, Ramshackle Games.

Even cheaper (Orkier) than that is what I did this weekend. Go to a dollar store and buy up a bunch of those cheap monster truck knock offs. Cover with plasticard & gubbins then call it day. I finally found a use for all those rokkits my Dakkajet came with, too.

I knew I was forgetting one, I really need to organise my bookmarks to make stuff easier to find. Tonka trucks best trucks :v:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

SRM posted:

A lot of folks on Dakka play historical wargames, so I don't mind it. Then I see the Nazi IG armies and... sigh.

That was my reaction as well, Oh well yeah I guess that makes sense historicals then wait a second...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

NTRabbit posted:

Since they're not making not-40k, I'd rather they simply went with the best sculptors, rather than getting the best of the dregs left in the sinking ship because 40k and GW. As it is, they already make plenty of excellent sculpts, they just get ignored by people with GW aesthetic blinders on. More vehicles will be about next year.

I knew I was forgetting one, I really need to organise my bookmarks to make stuff easier to find. Tonka trucks best trucks :v:
I think if they want to make not-40k, they should make the aesthetics at least look similar. Either try to make it look like it's a 40k thing or try to make it something distinctive. Not this weird middleground.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

SRM posted:

I think if they want to make not-40k

They don't and aren't, so the rest is irrelevant. People still can and do find a way to use some of the minis anyway, because a lot of 40k is as generic and derivative as anything else.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Yeah, Mantic has a few parallels but they're trying to do their own thing and their newer models are way ahead of the old ones.

Also , Da Bruvvahud Ov Steeel make good MANz, and any aesthetic differences are made up for by the price.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Oh hey they finally updated Codex: Inquisition for 7th edition. Not much changed besides the fact that inquisitors and psyker henchmen can only generate from sanctic daemonology.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

ghetto wormhole posted:

Oh hey they finally updated Codex: Inquisition for 7th edition. Not much changed besides the fact that inquisitors and psyker henchmen can only generate from sanctic daemonology.

Oh good, glad we don't have to worry about radical inquisitors anymore.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Fix posted:

Why would you want free Daemons from a cool table when you could pay for DAEMONHOSTS!!!!!11

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The various Imperial codices completely (mechanically) eliding the possibility of the daemonic corruption that's all over the fluff would be fine if it was, I don't know, in one of the Chaos codices. Or even a drat supplement.

But that would be crazy talk.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

ghetto wormhole posted:

I don't feel like unpacking my ipad; do they peril on any doubles or just 6s when using sanctic daemonology?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Karandras posted:

http://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=259

I used these for my Flesh Hounds and they're great

I was looking at turning those into Khymerae but they didn't feel 'doggy' enough =S

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Fix posted:

Why would they let you use Codex: Inquisition to represent radical Inquisitors, when they can just sell you Codex: Inquisitor Radical Inquisitors supplement.

Haha just kidding GW will never sell a cool Chaos supplement.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

ghetto wormhole posted:

What? they can generate from Daemonology (Sanctic), Divination, Pyromancy, Telekinesis, and Telepathy, not just Sanctic.

Unless you mean "Only Sanctic Daemonology, not Maleific"

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Hey guys just a quick rules question about walkers as I haven't used them a lot since I started playing but I've decided to try them out with 7th ed. My interpretation is they essentially move and assault like infantry but they still follow the combat speed rule of firing one weapon at full BS and the other as snapshots. Is this correct?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think that's what he means.

Is anyone going to Bay Area Open or NOVA. They seem like really cool events. I'd really like to go to NOVA. I'm making the dedication to play next year in Adepticon so gotta get all my poo poo painted and spend more money (Yay?).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Nope, walkers fire everything at full BS regardless of whether they moved. Exception is they can't shoot if they run, same as infantry.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Zark the Damned posted:

Nope, walkers fire everything at full BS regardless of whether they moved. Exception is they can't shoot if they run, same as infantry.

Thanks. I learn something new everyday.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
So inquisitors can still get divination right? Otherwise I'm gonna be pissssssed

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah they still get it.*

* Except Tyranids

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Is anyone going to Bay Area Open or NOVA. They seem like really cool events. I'd really like to go to NOVA. I'm making the dedication to play next year in Adepticon so gotta get all my poo poo painted and spend more money (Yay?).

I'll be going down to BAO with a couple of my buddies; I'd like to go to NOVA or one of the other big tournaments someday, but crossing the country just for some warhams is a bit beyond my means at the moment.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Because I am insane, I'm also building Tau in addition to my orks. Current 2000pt plan is Farsight, two three-man crisis teams, Honor-wossname the Eight-member Riptide, a normal Riptide also with the pilot array (as the Eight don't count towards signature systems limits), a three-man broadside team, and two hammerheads. All the battlesuits have full drone complements.

That sound reasonable? I'm debating taking even more battlesuits instead of the Hammerheads, just to run an all-mecha force, but the tanks seem pretty sweet for their point cost.

Meanwhile I've gotten me more orks ready to paint, so I should be posting pics of some within a few days!

Ratflinger
Jul 1, 2010

Esser-Z posted:

Because I am insane, I'm also building Tau in addition to my orks. Current 2000pt plan is Farsight, two three-man crisis teams, Honor-wossname the Eight-member Riptide, a normal Riptide also with the pilot array (as the Eight don't count towards signature systems limits), a three-man broadside team, and two hammerheads. All the battlesuits have full drone complements.

That sound reasonable? I'm debating taking even more battlesuits instead of the Hammerheads, just to run an all-mecha force, but the tanks seem pretty sweet for their point cost.

Meanwhile I've gotten me more orks ready to paint, so I should be posting pics of some within a few days!

Currently building some Tau myself, in addition to my 'crons. I am not in love with the Hammerheads. They shoot hard, but it is just one shot, it seems like a rather unreliable way to make vehicles go boom. But I guess that is what is available, except crisis suits with melta.

Oh yeah, there is also the Firebase Support Cadre. 6 Broadsides and a Riptide with free tank hunters, not sure if that is available to Farsight or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Esser-Z posted:

Taking two Earth Caste Pilot arrays is questionable at best, but it's your call. You could use more troops - the classic choice is Kroot, dirt cheep outflank that can get S7 shots for side armor. Devilfish Firewarriors are also not terrible now that Devilfish score and can jink for a 3+.

• Locked thread