Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

tomapot posted:

You could ask a variation of the goon question "Do you have stairs on your ride?"

It's Disney, going back to some of the questions I was asked when I worked there.. That question you posed is not out of the realm of possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

tomapot posted:

You could ask a variation of the goon question "Do you have stairs on your ride?"

The goon mating call in the wild is "goooooon". Stairs is old hat. Just say "gooooooooooon" like ur mooing.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Hey, if any of y'all were at Magic Kingdom tonight, god bless you. Because that was insanity. And I didn't have to maneuver the crowds that much.

The fireworks were boss though

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Disney fireworks have spoiled me for fireworks everywhere. We saw some last night and while they were nice I just kept thinking "Disney does it better."

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
As much as I love Disney fireworks they always leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

"Oh hey look there's my paycheck a million times over

exploding"

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Braksgirl posted:

Disney fireworks have spoiled me for fireworks everywhere. We saw some last night and while they were nice I just kept thinking "Disney does it better."

My wife and I are the same way. We haven't been impressed with a non-Disney fireworks display in years.

Even if you're on one of their cruise ships, their fireworks at sea (they're the only line that has them) are even pretty impressive.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Roar posted:

As much as I love Disney fireworks they always leave a bitter taste in my mouth.

"Oh hey look there's my paycheck a million times over

exploding"

Yeah, now imagine how much more the holiday fireworks like this past weekend cost.. they are around the park and a lot more is involved since there and additional locations they are shooting the same fireworks from.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Doronin posted:

My wife and I are the same way. We haven't been impressed with a non-Disney fireworks display in years.

Even if you're on one of their cruise ships, their fireworks at sea (they're the only line that has them) are even pretty impressive.

I went on a Disney cruise back in February and they did the fireworks. It was funny because while it was going on you could see all these other ships' lights far off in the distance. Seems they huddle around to sponge off the Disney show and then scatter out into the ocean.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Has anyone been to Hong Kong or Tokyo Disneyland? How much will I get out of either one without speaking Cantonese or Japanese?

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Pththya-lyi posted:

Has anyone been to Hong Kong or Tokyo Disneyland? How much will I get out of either one without speaking Cantonese or Japanese?

Speaking from experience of Tokyo, you should be aware that shows and rides are offered mainly in Japanese only. There are some exceptions (off the top of my head, StormRider has English subtitles in the pre-show), but the characters and in-ride videos all speak Japanese only. Parades may have one or two token English speakers. Cast Members are hit-or-miss, but even those who don't speak English will do their best to help, but it's probably worth learning some very basic Japanese vocabulary. Generally speaking though Disney are very good at telling a story non-verbally, so you should be able to catch the gist of any ride you go on.

I've not been to Hong Kong yet, but judging from videos on YouTube they seem to cater a lot more for English-speaking audiences, with rides and shows being seemingly bilingual.

Don't let that put you off though, Tokyo Disneyland is a great Magic Kingdom with some unique rides, and Tokyo DisneySea is arguably the best Disney park in the world. I wrote a guide on DisneySea a while ago if you're interested, and can give you advice on Land too if you'd like.

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012
I never really had the desire to go to Walt Disney World until I started reading this thread. It sounds actually fun to do without any kids. I am trying to talk my girlfriend into it. I am still trying to wrap my head around the dining plans which sound like they way to go. Hoping to go during an off time if we decide to go.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I have been to Tokyo Disneyland and I agree with PkerUNO. Not much English but I didn't find it to hamper my experience. Some of the rides I had no idea what was going on but had fun anyways

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Braksgirl posted:

I went on a Disney cruise back in February and they did the fireworks. It was funny because while it was going on you could see all these other ships' lights far off in the distance. Seems they huddle around to sponge off the Disney show and then scatter out into the ocean.

Nice. I'm going again in November, so I'll have to remember to look out on the horizon.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

UnhealthyJoe posted:

I am still trying to wrap my head around the dining plans which sound like they way to go. Hoping to go during an off time if we decide to go.

If you intend to get a car while you are here I would just go offsite and not limit myself to the confines of the park 24/7. That's just me but there is only so much I can take of food on property.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

So on Sunday I got to go into Universal's new Diagon Alley area while it was soft opening. It is absolutely the best themed land I've been in at any theme park.

Disney better deliver with Avatarland, or they got some splainin' to do.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
goddamnit disney, we dont want avatarland

we want STARWARS LAND

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I think they're both pretty stupid to be honest. Star Wars would translate badly into a land as much as everyone wants it. They're basically already doing everything that's worth doing with it. With the update to Star Tours you can already "go" to most planets casual fans would know. I guess you could throw some meet and greets in there, but what else could you do? You already have the jedi training academy. Star Wars is pretty tapped in what they could actually do.

Avatar is just goofy and I think it's going to be one giant blooper in the end. Avatar's faded pretty hardcore from public consciousness and I want to see what they'll do to try to remind people of the weird blue rabbit cat people for the next 10-15 years to get money back on it.

I'm still surprised they've never done the mythological creatures park for Animal Kingdom, and even more surprised that they haven't translated way more Pixar things into Disney Hollywood Studios.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Disney already has the Dragon in the Animal Kingdom logo. Why don't they go all out and cancel Avatar land and just go ahead with the Beastly Kingdom stuff.

Also lol,

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Avatarland is the stupidest thing. I'm dreading it. And that's coming from someone totally drinking the Disney koolaid.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I really stick by the "Disney has always been about making new experiences" thing and have no idea why Avatarland is even a thing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I think they're both pretty stupid to be honest. Star Wars would translate badly into a land as much as everyone wants it. They're basically already doing everything that's worth doing with it. With the update to Star Tours you can already "go" to most planets casual fans would know. I guess you could throw some meet and greets in there, but what else could you do?
Trench Run: The Rollercoaster

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

If they do it right, Avatarland will be like Carsland out in Cali in that it takes a property not a lot of people over the age of 12 give a real poo poo about and turn it into a really cool themed environment with entertaining rides.

If they don't, whooooops.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I think they're both pretty stupid to be honest. Star Wars would translate badly into a land as much as everyone wants it. They're basically already doing everything that's worth doing with it. With the update to Star Tours you can already "go" to most planets casual fans would know. I guess you could throw some meet and greets in there, but what else could you do? You already have the jedi training academy. Star Wars is pretty tapped in what they could actually do.

Too late.. the area where Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular down to where Muppets is going away or gone and making way for Star Wars area and the area adjacent to that all the way to the Lights, Camera, Action! stunt show is out to make way for our own Carsland here at Hollywood Studios.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

If they do it right, Avatarland will be like Carsland out in Cali in that it takes a property not a lot of people over the age of 12 give a real poo poo about and turn it into a really cool themed environment with entertaining rides.

If they don't, whooooops.

Having been to Carsland I was totally unimpressed and we were there for all of 20 minutes after riding Radiator Springs Racers and we bought nothing, not even food. I think it's a giant moneysink too. But that bug's life land is so much worse. DCA is a cheap, somewhat poorly planned park in general and I don't think we were there for even an entire day the first time I'd ever stepped foot in the park. I see the comparison you're making, though, and... it's probably how I'll feel about Avatarland.

demonR6 posted:

Too late.. the area where Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular down to where Muppets is going away or gone and making way for Star Wars area and the area adjacent to that all the way to the Lights, Camera, Action! stunt show is out to make way for our own Carsland here at Hollywood Studios.

Yeah I'd heard that rumor too. Radiator Springs Racers (or it's FL equivelent) will draw people because it's a nice little ride when all is said and done, but I think Star Wars will pop and then die pretty quick. I still think they'd do better to have an all-around Pixar-themed land rather than doing Carsland version 2. Pixar's got a ton to work with. Cars has 2 movies and that awful planes movie.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Having been to Carsland I was totally unimpressed and we were there for all of 20 minutes after riding Radiator Springs Racers and we bought nothing, not even food. I think it's a giant moneysink too. But that bug's life land is so much worse. DCA is a cheap, somewhat poorly planned park in general and I don't think we were there for even an entire day the first time I'd ever stepped foot in the park. I see the comparison you're making, though, and... it's probably how I'll feel about Avatarland.

Yeah I'd heard that rumor too. Radiator Springs Racers (or it's FL equivelent) will draw people because it's a nice little ride when all is said and done, but I think Star Wars will pop and then die pretty quick. I still think they'd do better to have an all-around Pixar-themed land rather than doing Carsland version 2. Pixar's got a ton to work with. Cars has 2 movies and that awful planes movie.

Even the American Idol Experience is done.. not that it was not time for it to go anyways but this is a pretty significant overhaul that is going on here. IJ was dated but it still kept a packed audience and so did the stunt car show. That poo poo would practically fill the entire arena every show I ever went to.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

demonR6 posted:

Even the American Idol Experience is done.. not that it was not time for it to go anyways but this is a pretty significant overhaul that is going on here. IJ was dated but it still kept a packed audience and so did the stunt car show. That poo poo would practically fill the entire arena every show I ever went to.

Afaik IJ is supposed to keep running through to October, possibly longer. The stunt car show was but with the most recent wreck I'm really not sure what's going on with it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Afaik IJ is supposed to keep running through to October, possibly longer. The stunt car show was but with the most recent wreck I'm really not sure what's going on with it.

AI is going down in December'ish, we know one of the guys who operates the camera. You are right about IJ, it is slated for later this year but you know how schedules are always in flux. I heard about the car having it's roof ripped off on the final stunt..

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Disney told American Idol cast members that the show will end on January 1st. Indiana Jones cast members and Lights Motors Action cast members have recieved no such notifications despite rumors flying.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Trying to book my first Disney vacation. For 2 adults, 7 nights/6 days at a deluxe resort, 7 day pass, and free dining plan, the cheapest price I'm seeing is about $4000. Does it get any lower than that?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

If you're getting free dining, that's about the best deal you'll get. I can price it up for you if you want to PM me.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

Braksgirl posted:

If you're getting free dining, that's about the best deal you'll get. I can price it up for you if you want to PM me.

Thanks! I think that's out of my price range, though. The main reason I want to stay at one of the deluxe resorts is for the monorail access, but maybe one of the other hotels wouldn't be too bad for getting around.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I'd be happy to help you figure out what's in your budget. Lots of moderates are fine, transpo-wise.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Squack McQuack posted:

Trying to book my first Disney vacation. For 2 adults, 7 nights/6 days at a deluxe resort, 7 day pass, and free dining plan, the cheapest price I'm seeing is about $4000. Does it get any lower than that?

Monorail access is expensive. I really want to be on the rail when we go next year but 3 adults 2 kids prices me out of the deluxe resorts. We're probably staying at the family suites at Art of Animation. I might try to stretch for monorail though as granny is going to need a scooter to get around. She's over 60 and her knees are shot. I'm guessing it'll be several times easier to deal with a scooter on the rail instead of the busses.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

skipdogg posted:

Monorail access is expensive. I really want to be on the rail when we go next year but 3 adults 2 kids prices me out of the deluxe resorts. We're probably staying at the family suites at Art of Animation. I might try to stretch for monorail though as granny is going to need a scooter to get around. She's over 60 and her knees are shot. I'm guessing it'll be several times easier to deal with a scooter on the rail instead of the busses.

Have to admit, the family suites at the Art of Animation are well worth it, transportation concerns aside. You get your own room that can have the door closed while the kids get the couch bed and the magic folding dinner table bed. Plus, two bathrooms! I honestly think I'd rather stay there next time we go, but I may try the Poly for a night or two just to see what the fuss is about. I enjoyed the AoA suite more than the Coronado room for my first trip.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Monorail access is great if you can afford it. But like Silly Burrito, I like the AoA suites. With three kids, it's nice to have room to spread out.

I actually really like Coronado Springs, even though Silly Burrito (my husband) does not. If I were going to do a Moderate, I'd do Coronado or Port Orleans Riverside.

I think we might do a split stay next time. Half the time at AoA and half at Poly. My TA discount and a split stay is the only way we can really afford Deluxe, unless we left the kids at home.

Using a scooter on the bus really isn't that bad. Occasionally you'll have an rear end in a top hat that will bitch about having to wait while the scooter is loaded first, but otherwise, it's pretty painless. Takes a bit longer than rolling up into a monorail, but it's not so bad. The scooter user and their family get priority so you're almost guaranteed a spot on the bus. I would just try to plan to go during a slower crowd time.

Braksgirl fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 9, 2014

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Monorail is nice but I prefer the boat that Wilderness gets.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: monorail access is very nice, but you're going to be walking/waiting your rear end off anyway, so if it's that which is pricing you out of WDW, just save a couple grand possibly and stay at a mid-tier joint or AoA. Granny can use one of those fat people go karts. Cast members are used to some older folks needing mobility assistance, and you will NOT get any poo poo from them over it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I stayed at Art of Animation in December and almost every bus ride had one if not both of the handicap areas used for scooter (or wheelchairs) and they got priority entrance to the bus along with their party. They are very good about it. The only thing is certain buses take forever, so you kind of have to hope you don't miss a bus.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What's the difference between Memory Maker and PhotoPass Archive?

Edit: It's cool, figured this out. MM includes ride photos. And costs less. So, umm, yeah.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 9, 2014

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

Braksgirl posted:

I actually really like Coronado Springs, even though Silly Burrito (my husband) does not. If I were going to do a Moderate, I'd do Coronado or Port Orleans Riverside.

What did you like/dislike about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

I'll chime in that I liked Coronado over Carribean Beach, I felt that Coronado was less spread out. Also, the quick serve counter had great choices for breakfast.

I haven't stayed at a Monorail property yet, but the buses are reasonably quick from everywhere but Animal Kingdom Lodge.

My family is staying at Sarasota Springs a second time. My wife convinced me to put down the money for Disney Vacation Club a few years ago. So far, I'd say it was well worth the money.