Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooecow
Aug 2, 2005

So far its been a pretty busy travel year & no end in sight.

Delta: 75,369 MQMs, 104 segments
Marriott: 72 nights (97 with rollover)
Hertz: 19 rentals (Although just defected to Avis)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I've done more travel in the first half of this year than I've ever done in an entire year before, so that's pretty awesome (since half of it was personal travel).

United: 99,862 PQM/13,445 PQD (just flew DTW-IAH this morning so I'll be at 100,938PQM when the miles post)
SPG: 28 stays/55 nights (Platinum requal complete)
Avis: 7 rentals (President's Club via credit card)

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
So who else has crazy travel rituals?

1) When getting on a plane I slap the top of the doorway like I'm about to run onto a basketball court.
2) During take off, queue up Danger Zone. If we aren't wheels up by the first chorus, we will probably crash.
3) Hotel rooms get completely torn apart to make sure I didn't leave anything behind.
4) I always push the limits of how far away from the airport I can fill the rental car and still have it count as full when I drop it off. Record: 55 miles from Akron, OH to CLE airport.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

DJCobol posted:

4) I always push the limits of how far away from the airport I can fill the rental car and still have it count as full when I drop it off. Record: 55 miles from Akron, OH to CLE airport.

Please do not be this guy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DJCobol posted:

1) When getting on a plane I slap the top of the doorway like I'm about to run onto a basketball court.
2) During take off, queue up Danger Zone. If we aren't wheels up by the first chorus, we will probably crash.
3) Hotel rooms get completely torn apart to make sure I didn't leave anything behind.

ok, what, sometimes, gently caress you

My hangup is spending more time worried about what book(s) I'm taking to read than any other part of packing or preparing for the trip.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 8, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

DJCobol posted:

1. I'm like George Clooney in Up in the Air when I go through security.
2. I walk twice as fast in airports like an Aaron Sorkin movie scene.
3. I try to time myself and arrive at the gate Just In Time. I guess I can stop doing that now I have poor man's priority pass
4. I try to meet goons wherever I go :neckbeard: Or set up goon/couch surfing meet ups

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Who loves ya more? The cleaning people who have to put together the room again because you can't keep a checklist of what you bring or the next car renter who has to pay for the gas you snuck past the check in people?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mackieman posted:

Please do not be this guy.
Why? The needle is still on F, its just not pegged past it like I filled up 2 miles before dropping it off. Its not like I'm bringing the car back on empty.

sellouts posted:

Who loves ya more? The cleaning people who have to put together the room again because you can't keep a checklist of what you bring or the next car renter who has to pay for the gas you snuck past the check in people?
When I say completely torn apart, its not like I destroy the room. I take all the sheets and blankets off the bed and put into a pile, all the used towels are put into a pile, all the trash is in a trash can or in a grocery bag if I went grocery shopping for an extended stay. I'm not taking out dresser drawers or flipping over mattresses or turning over chairs/couches. Honestly wouldn't it make it easier for the housekeepers to come in and just grab a pile of sheets/blankets rather than having to take all that stuff off the bed themselves?

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

DJCobol posted:

Why? The needle is still on F, its just not pegged past it like I filled up 2 miles before dropping it off. Its not like I'm bringing the car back on empty.

Road warrior etiquette, friendo. You are sticking the next guy with the bill for fill up when the needle finally drops. I've picked up a few cars and driven them 10 miles off the lot and had them drop way more than they should. I don't really care that much since it's noise in my travel budget but who says the next renter is on the company dime. Please don't do this.

UA 1k, 71,490 (slow Q2 is going to come back with a vengeance)
HH Dia, 33 nights (more off brand)
Hertz 12 rentals

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

caberham posted:

4. I try to meet goons wherever I go :neckbeard: Or set up goon/couch surfing meet ups

That's the main one for me, and I return the favor and reach out to grab a beer or whatever if any goons pass through DFW.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Aristotle Animes posted:

Please don't do this.

Alright, I can see the rear end in a top hat side of this. I'll stop.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

DJCobol posted:

I think this is the first time I have ever seen anything like this on the Something Awful Dot Com Forums. :monocle:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I don't understand removing sheets from a bed to make sure you haven't forgotten something but to each their own.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

I don't understand removing sheets from a bed to make sure you haven't forgotten something but to each their own.
When I started traveling, its something my boss told me she did, and I started doing it too. Its just habit now.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

sellouts posted:

I don't remove all the sheets but I'll toss the top sheet/blankets/pillows into a pile at the top of the bed to give me a flat surface if I'm using the bed as a surface to pack on. I do this because I don't want something to get missed in a fold of the blanket or something while I'm packing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Guess I am weird. I use a table to pack and try to roughly make the bed just so there aren't folds that small stuff seems to always find. Big balls of sheets are a magnet for hiding stuff for me. If anything is missing I end up shaking them out again

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I always strip the bed so that a) I can shake it out to make sure that there is nothing left and b) save the cleaning lady some time.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I put my stuff in relatively the same places. So I don't really have to worry about losing things. However, I do have weird moments of dislocation if something is out of place.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

I don't remove all the sheets but I'll toss the top sheet/blankets/pillows into a pile at the top of the bed to give me a flat surface if I'm using the bed as a surface to pack on. I do this because I don't want something to get missed in a fold of the blanket or something while I'm packing.

I lost my samsonite foldable toiletry bag. MY CONDOMS WHICH I NEVER USE MY FOLDABLE TOOTH BRUSH AND TRAVEL SIZE TOOTH PASTE.

From now on, I will do CSI sweeps in my hotel room.

air- posted:

That's the main one for me, and I return the favor and reach out to grab a beer or whatever if any goons pass through DFW.

Hong Kong welcomes you! We got a Hong Kong Boys Brigade welcome party on call. :justpost: in the horrible China LAN thread

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

DJCobol posted:

I'm a little surprised this was that easy... thanks.

Pissingintowind posted:

I think this is the first time I have ever seen anything like this on the Something Awful Dot Com Forums. :monocle:

Or any forum. There's a lot of anger spilled on this subject over at flyertalk. Usually jerks blathering about how everyone else does it so play the system blah blah.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Aristotle Animes posted:

I'm a little surprised this was that easy... thanks.

Or any forum. There's a lot of anger spilled on this subject over at flyertalk. Usually jerks blathering about how everyone else does it so play the system blah blah.

If somebody on flyertalk does a thing it's a good sign that you should not do that thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
gently caress Flyertalk. The gas thing is such a shithead thing to do that really has very little tangible benefit to the perpetrator.

AAdvantage: Current Platinum (due to status challenge), 23,600 EQMs / 34 EQS - will be at min Gold in '15
Skymiles: Current Diamond, 75,000 MQMs / 45 EQS - will be at min Platinum in '15
National: No idea, I think I already hit exec elite this year again
Marriott: Gold, 57 nights

It actually looks like I haven't been flying as much as last year in terms of frequency, but I'm certainly up there in terms of flown miles (though some MQM are rollover). Weird. Tempo for travel schedule will be quite high going forward, though.

The big debate in my mind is whether to try to hit DM or EXP.

Pro EXP:
I'm flying a lot to Chicago recently, and AA is direct
EXP is a bit easier to attain (from scratch) and has somewhat better benefits compared to DM

Pro DM:
AA has been pissing me the gently caress off recently
Better international network out of Boston to places I try to go (Paris, Rome, London, Amsterdam)

I think the combination of PM and EXP is probably the most beneficial to me, but god drat AA has been irritating me of late.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Finally hit Delta Silver over the weekend. I travel a lot less than I used to. I think I'll celebrate by leaving the house to work today.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Shbobdb posted:

I always strip the bed so that a) I can shake it out to make sure that there is nothing left and b) save the cleaning lady some time.

How cute. You think they always change the sheets between customers.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

gently caress Flyertalk. The gas thing is such a shithead thing to do that really has very little tangible benefit to the perpetrator.

AAdvantage: Current Platinum (due to status challenge), 23,600 EQMs / 34 EQS - will be at min Gold in '15
Skymiles: Current Diamond, 75,000 MQMs / 45 EQS - will be at min Platinum in '15
National: No idea, I think I already hit exec elite this year again
Marriott: Gold, 57 nights

It actually looks like I haven't been flying as much as last year in terms of frequency, but I'm certainly up there in terms of flown miles (though some MQM are rollover). Weird. Tempo for travel schedule will be quite high going forward, though.

The big debate in my mind is whether to try to hit DM or EXP.

Pro EXP:
I'm flying a lot to Chicago recently, and AA is direct
EXP is a bit easier to attain (from scratch) and has somewhat better benefits compared to DM

Pro DM:
AA has been pissing me the gently caress off recently
Better international network out of Boston to places I try to go (Paris, Rome, London, Amsterdam)

I think the combination of PM and EXP is probably the most beneficial to me, but god drat AA has been irritating me of late.

If you are Boston based (my condolences) do not use AA. Back when I made the awful mistake of moving there for a brief period of time, I basically had to set aside entire days of travel time to get anywhere. The most logical Intl Hub is JFK and they only do like 3 flights a day there. I ended up driving most of the time since my other alternative was 6 hour layovers.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I've left AA and am unaware of what's going on recently. What's the problem? MX issues?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I need some help Goons. Does anyone have a decent list of international travel legs which are longer than 10 hours? I'm pushing a business case that a particular travel requirement is a little silly, and want to provide examples of the types of legs that are actually that long.

Edit: Thank you. It's nice to see that you basically have to go from the east coast of North America to the east coast of Asia.

My first-world problem is that a client doesn't want to pay for business class unless the flight is longer than 10 hours. My issue isn't comfort: it's electricity. I actually want to work on flights to Europe, Japan, and India, which due to both space and power is effectively impossible in coach nowadays.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 9, 2014

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Ynglaur posted:

I need some help Goons. Does anyone have a decent list of international travel legs which are longer than 10 hours? I'm pushing a business case that a particular travel requirement is a little silly, and want to provide examples of the types of legs that are actually that long.

Here's 30 of them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-stop_flight#Currently_scheduled_.28top_30.2C_by_distance.29

MoofOntario
Jan 10, 2007

To Maintain the System the Abusive Power is Sometimes Necessary
-Pappa Brittle

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not sure if this is universal or not, since I don't travel as much as I used to, but I rented a car from YYZ (Toronto Pearson) from Dollar last weekend, and they wanted to see a receipt that I had filled up from a gas stations within 10km of the airport. I think they are starting to get hip to this particular scam.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ynglaur posted:

My first-world problem is that a client doesn't want to pay for business class unless the flight is longer than 10 hours. My issue isn't comfort: it's electricity. I actually want to work on flights to Europe, Japan, and India, which due to both space and power is effectively impossible in coach nowadays.[/i]

I thought 8 hours was more of the 'industry standard'. I know it's in our handbook that business class is an option for international flights over 8 hours. We have a couple of folks that fly from the UK or Florida to our Australia office, and I can't imagine doing that in coach. Those are 21+ hour trips

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

MoofOntario posted:

I'm not sure if this is universal or not, since I don't travel as much as I used to, but I rented a car from YYZ (Toronto Pearson) from Dollar last weekend, and they wanted to see a receipt that I had filled up from a gas stations within 10km of the airport. I think they are starting to get hip to this particular scam.

I've only had them ask for that if I drove less than 50 miles total. They assume that if I drove more than that, I would have had to stop because it should be less than full.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

skipdogg posted:

I thought 8 hours was more of the 'industry standard'. I know it's in our handbook that business class is an option for international flights over 8 hours. We have a couple of folks that fly from the UK or Florida to our Australia office, and I can't imagine doing that in coach. Those are 21+ hour trips

Ours is just a generic "Outside North America" for business class.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

skipdogg posted:

My firm's policy is 6+, whether domestic or international. Basically it's "if you're in the plane this long we'd like for you to either be productive, or at least not cranky when you get to your destination". We're locked into our client's travel policy for this project, though. Needless to say, few of my client's personnel travel regularly, and their travel policy reflects this fact.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you're a consulting firm, and you don't have a rider built in for clients to override their lovely policies, you're loving it up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Belldandy posted:

If you are Boston based (my condolences) do not use AA. Back when I made the awful mistake of moving there for a brief period of time, I basically had to set aside entire days of travel time to get anywhere. The most logical Intl Hub is JFK and they only do like 3 flights a day there. I ended up driving most of the time since my other alternative was 6 hour layovers.

Yeah, I'm out of Boston. Generally, Delta is good because they can push you in to decent international hubs at Atlanta going south, or Amsterdam/CDG for anything across the Atlantic.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, I'm out of Boston. Generally, Delta is good because they can push you in to decent international hubs at Atlanta going south, or Amsterdam/CDG for anything across the Atlantic.

Yep, stick with Delta. Your SWUs don't work on other oneWorld carriers, so the ones that fly out of BOS aren't too feasible unless you like coach. Otherwise you get to sit around JFK and never get those hours back.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you're a consulting firm, and you don't have a rider built in for clients to override their lovely policies, you're loving it up.

I didn't write this contract, believe me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Guys are lucky; a couple of years ago my bossmasters made the cut off for business class 14 hours. And everywhere I go is 13:55 according to the airline.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Midjack posted:

Guys are lucky; a couple of years ago my bossmasters made the cut off for business class 14 hours. And everywhere I go is 13:55 according to the airline.

Build a connection in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mackieman posted:

Build a connection in there?

The decision is calculated on the fastest route, even if a coach ticket on said fastest route isn't actually available.