Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

*for certain values of "stable", "Egyptian", and "government"

And "12.000 years".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

skooma512 posted:

Anybody know any good books on the Falklands War? I'd like to find something like Bowden's Black Hawk Down, a general history on the conflict with a focus on the tactical situations.

I still have "Señales de Guerra" sitting on my shelf. It was written between Virginia Gamba (an argentinian historian) and Lawrence Freedman. Haven't read it yet (too engrossed with "1914" and "All Hell Let Loose" right now) but hey, it may be good. :v: Dunno if there's an English version, it should be.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This was from a ways back, but thanks for the thread recommendation of Battle Cry of Freedom. I still haven't even gotten to the 1860 election yet, but it's a huge insight to see just how far back the whole slavery debate went and how that shaped politics decades before the war. My favorite parts so far are the Know-Nothings, which I knew nothing (harhar) about prior to this book, and the Lincoln-Douglas debates.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Very. Most WW2 era anti-structure incendiary bombs are some mix of chemicals that combusts either on contact with air or via a detonator, producing mostly a gently caress load of heat. The idea is to cause a bunch of structural damage with heat and flame, starting numerous small fires around it to maximize the response required on the ground. Phosphorus is really common as a way to achieve this, and by far the most common incendiary if we're talking Allied strategic bombing use in Europe, although I've read about instances when they used a thermite-like compound in an attempt to go after steel industrial machinery and the like. The point here is that all of these are solid compounds.

Napalm is basically a flammable gel and during the WW2 era was almost always petrochemical in origin. I have no idea what they're using now, but back then it was basically just gas with thickening agents to get it to stick. That's where we get the name, actually; the two thickening agents added to the gas back in the day were napenthic acid and palmetic acid.

bewbies posted:

...I made "napalm" a bunch of times when I was a kid.

Thanks for the answer!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

How old is the Republic of San Marino?

Earliest legal statues date back to 1263, the list of Captains-General runs back to 1243. Tradition says 301 AD but gently caress knows if that's true or not (it probably isn't).

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Yo can people stop doing this? Either own up to using a Christian dating system or use another one. Pretending that it is inclusive just because it no longer explicitly mentions Christ (as if the way it was calculated is MERE COINCIDENCE) is intellectually cowardly.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Right now, at this moment, I love you.

In this year of 2767 AUC, I love both of you.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 9, 2014

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Does anyone have any recommendations of books on Eastern Front combat? I've read lots of strategic stuff but I'd love to find something that goes more into the tactical levels than strategic, especially from a Soviet perspective.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

apseudonym posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations of books on Eastern Front combat? I've read lots of strategic stuff but I'd love to find something that goes more into the tactical levels than strategic, especially from a Soviet perspective.

A Writer at War by Vasily Grossman

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

apseudonym posted:

Not a book, but anyone wanting to learn about the Eastern Front who doesn't know about http://english.iremember.ru/ is wasting their time. You can't get better than primary sources.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

gradenko_2000 posted:

This was from a ways back, but thanks for the thread recommendation of Battle Cry of Freedom. I still haven't even gotten to the 1860 election yet, but it's a huge insight to see just how far back the whole slavery debate went and how that shaped politics decades before the war. My favorite parts so far are the Know-Nothings, which I knew nothing (harhar) about prior to this book, and the Lincoln-Douglas debates.

Yeah, if you ever feel badly about modern US politics, you can always say "At least we aren't planning to covertly annex most of Central America for the purpose of spreading slavery in order to give one party an electoral advantage in the Senate!" That was pretty crazy, and definitely something I did not know about the US before reading that book.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tomn posted:

Yeah, if you ever feel badly about modern US politics, you can always say "At least we aren't planning to covertly annex most of Central America for the purpose of spreading slavery in order to give one party an electoral advantage in the Senate!"

That'd make me feel even worse because they haven't loving changed.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

apseudonym posted:

Ah there was a good one I've read, My Just War: The Memoir of a Jewish Red Army Soldier in World War II

I liked it a lot, the guy surviving was a miracle in of itself.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

uPen posted:

A Writer at War by Vasily Grossman

An excellent book though be prepared for the horror of the Treblinka chapter.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

An excellent book though be prepared for the horror of the Treblinka chapter.

I was going to post that there's no way it could be worse than The Hell Called Treblinka, then I googled it and found that is the Treblinka chapter you're talking about. I think that chapter goes down as the most horrific thing I've ever read, it's the Come and See of literature.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

apseudonym posted:

Grossman is fantastic. If you want more of an overview than a personal account, Ivan's War by Catherine Merridale is also good.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
George Nipe's Decision in the Ukraine is focused on the summer of 1943, and in particular operations in south (Citadelle, Mius Offensive, Rumyantsev), but it does detail the battles right down to the platoon-company-battalion level so you get a good perspective on tactical situations.

I'd also recommend Antony Beevor's Stalingrad for a more personal perspective.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I forget his name, but the guy who runs that World of Tanks blog had a pretty good post a while back about a WWII tanker's memoirs. Dude mentioned ramming German tanks in an encounter battle.

E: Was that you, Gradenko? Phone posting right now. It was either you or Ensign Expendable.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jul 9, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It was Ensign Expendable. I like his blog a lot, especially for all the wehraboos kicking and screaming about Russian bias in the data and historical documents.

Also, while we are talking about book recommendations, anything about fighter pilots?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Earliest legal statues date back to 1263, the list of Captains-General runs back to 1243. Tradition says 301 AD but gently caress knows if that's true or not (it probably isn't).
Ah, that makes sense, it fits right into the context of the development of civic humanism then. Less old than I thought, if tradition is wrong.

quote:

?5774 אתה לא מתכוון

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

skooma512 posted:

Anybody know any good books on the Falklands War? I'd like to find something like Bowden's Black Hawk Down, a general history on the conflict with a focus on the tactical situations.

If you want to read a single book (in English, presumably), I recommend The land that lost its heroes: how Argentina lost the Falklands War by Jimmy Burns, I have the 2013 ed. and it is quite good, and gives a lot of depth. I don't know how similar it is to Bowden's book as I have not read that, but Burns provides both a general history and details the tactical situations (hopefully enough for your liking).

Azran posted:

I still have "Señales de Guerra" sitting on my shelf. It was written between Virginia Gamba (an argentinian historian) and Lawrence Freedman. Haven't read it yet (too engrossed with "1914" and "All Hell Let Loose" right now) but hey, it may be good. :v: Dunno if there's an English version, it should be.
This is a very good book and I firmly recommend it. It is a very balanced account and both of the authors are good writers with many good works published. It is called Signals of War in English. I have both the Spanish and English editions and either one is a good read.

ArchangeI posted:

There is one hundred days by Admiral Woodward, who commanded the task force. It was a very interesting look into the logistical constraints they were working under, and it really shows how complex modern warfare can be. The only downside for me was that he never really owns up to any mistakes he might have made, it's always "Welp, nothing we could've done, guess that Exocet hit that ship through sheer dumb luck".
One Hundred Days is a very good book if you want to have Woodward's view on it. However, despite his position, its still a very limited account and lacks a lot of information of the wider context. It is a very worthwhile read, but it should not be the first thing that someone interested in the conflict picks up.

The Battle for the Falklands by Max Hastings and Simon Jenkins is a decent book as well. The issue with that one is that its quite dated, as they got it out to print fairly quickly, and thus a lot of the information is shaky, although check if it has had a more comprehensive newer edition. Argentine Fight for the Falklands by Martin Middlebrook is also quite good, and more up to date. It also includes (as the title denotes) much more information from the Argentine side that would be usually present in British texts (maybe this is something you would like more, as it gives a lot of Argentine opinion on the engagements). Historia del Conflicto del Atlantico Sur by Rubén O. Moro (a Commodore in the Naval Aviation) gives good operational insights into the Argentine effort. It is an extremely grognard book and its what I would recommend if you could read Spanish. Another very interesting book in Spanish is Malvinas: Diplomacia y conflicto armado, comentarios a la historia oficial britanica by Vicente Berasategui, in which he goes almost point-by-point in the British official history (by Lawrence Freedman) issuing replies. There are also other mainstays like Malvinas: La trama secreta by Cardoso, Kirschbaum and van der Kooy.

Staring reprovingly from my shelf is 1982 by Juan B. Yofre, have you read that Azran?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
http://english.iremember.ru/tankers/77-yampolsky-joseph-mironovich.html?q=%2Ftankers%2F77-yampolsky-joseph-mironovich.html

That one was quite haunting.

Power Khan fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 9, 2014

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
:stare: The Eastern Front really was something else entirely.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

HEY GAL posted:

?5774 אתה לא מתכוון
I don't know where you're getting these big numbers, it's only 1435 AH in the civilized world :colbert:.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I was going to post that there's no way it could be worse than The Hell Called Treblinka, then I googled it and found that is the Treblinka chapter you're talking about. I think that chapter goes down as the most horrific thing I've ever read, it's the Come and See of literature.

I found that online and read it, and now I've gone straight to 'A Year in Treblinka' by Jacob Wiernik, also available online, the account on which that chapter is largely based. Grossman is certainly a more accomplished writer, but if you read both of these, you become aware of a number of propagandistic flourishes; for example, the prisoners seem to have attributed Himmler's new order to remove all evidence and burn the corpses on the Germans uncovering the remains of the Katyn massacre, which they heard about at the time. While Grossman obviously makes no mention of Katyn, but rather says it was due to the German defeat at Stalingrad.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
So, after a guy in the regiment I'm studying died while owing 50 Reichsthalers to a Feldscherr ("in specie," the Feldscherr was at pains to point out--good money, not that bullshit that everyone's minting these days) and 2 to someone else, the Feldscherr and a bunch of other company-level officers decided to make a thing where loans were guaranteed.

Now, if a dude dies while he owes someone else cash, they'll have receipts.

(The dead man only had 20 on him when he died, of which the Feldscherr gave two to the guy who was owed two and kept the remaining 18, which means he's still short. Oops.)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 9, 2014

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Are these receipts those marked and split sticks? Tally sticks it is in english?

"Etwas auf dem Kerbholz haben"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

Are these receipts those marked and split sticks? Tally sticks it is in english?

"Etwas auf dem Kerbholz haben"
Nope, a little note with the regimental secretary's seal on it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bloody hell. It's shocking the level of violence those guys saw, and is probably unimaginable to me now.

Don Gato posted:

I don't know where you're getting these big numbers, it's only 1435 AH in the civilized world :colbert:.

Pfft, lunar calendars are dumb, and have been largely abandoned for good reason.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

quote:

My wounded leg was healing, and on the tenth day my host made me a makeshift crutch and took me out of the village at night. He showed me which way was east, and I began heading towards the territory my countrymen still occupied.

I looked around. There was the food provision officer from my ex- tank brigade in a 1.5 ton truck. I explain to him: “I’ve just come out of the encirclement and am going for verification.” He said to me: "Don’t go there! Your arrival in uniform and with identity papers will not impress them and you will be in trouble. I am here on my duty to deliver bread for the brigade from the army bakery. The brigade is stationed 30 kilometers away from here. We have broken out of the encirclement in an organized formation with our banner. One hundred and twenty of us have made it. Please wait for me here for about an hour and I’ll pick you up on the way back. Just sew your collar insignia back on your tunic and don’t leave this place. Wait for us!"

So what exactly did the Soviet government want encircled soldiers to do? If they surrendered they were traitors but if they broke out they were also probably traitors?

I'm really glad I wasn't born in Russia in the 1920s.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

OctaviusBeaver posted:

So what exactly did the Soviet government want encircled soldiers to do? If they surrendered they were traitors but if they broke out they were also probably traitors?

Not get encircled or die.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The claim would be that people who escaped from an encirclement when the rest of the unit did not are possibly deserters. Hence why the dudes who broke out as an organized unit are fine.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty sure the basic logic comes down to human life being incredibly cheap.

This thread is fascinating for me in a gut-churning trainwreck kind of way. That's not a knock on this thread, I'm just a massive baby who can't take the horrors of humanity :v:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Fangz posted:

The claim would be that people who escaped from an encirclement when the rest of the unit did not are possibly deserters. Hence why the dudes who broke out as an organized unit are fine.

That, or have been recruited as spies or saboteurs by the Germans.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Fangz posted:

Political considerations interfering with military affairs is always good for (comical) tragedy. Like that thing on Kertsch where a certain Politbureau guy forbade the digging of trenches, because supposedly it would undermine the troop's spirit of attack. The german artillery ripped them to shreds. Ah, what was the name of this guy? Lev Mekhlis?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Weren't the statistics for males born in the CCCP between like 1920 and 1925 killed in the GPW just insane? Like 80% never came back insane? About the only things I figure could be worse statistically (albeit with far smaller sample sizes) were U-Boat sailor... gently caress, I guess any IJA unit that faced off on (small pacific island fortress) against US Marines/Army?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

Weren't the statistics for males born in the CCCP between like 1920 and 1925 killed in the GPW just insane? Like 80% never came back insane? About the only things I figure could be worse statistically (albeit with far smaller sample sizes) were U-Boat sailor... gently caress, I guess any IJA unit that faced off on (small pacific island fortress) against US Marines/Army?

U-boots was 33% percent dead, Japanese garrisons hovering around 90-97% depending on the island. (To be fair, there's not a lot of ways off an island, or a sinking sub)

80% dead is a cataclysmal percentage when you're talking populations. Wikipedia has some age pyramids of the USSR around the War, it's pretty dire, but not quite that high.

Aside from the war, which shrank the entire population pretty equally, there's huge divots around 1921 and 1931 coinciding with WWI+Revolution and the bulk of Stalin's reforms. Russians have really seen some poo poo.

However, I'm getting second thoughts about this graph.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 10, 2014

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tollymain posted:

This thread is fascinating for me in a gut-churning trainwreck kind of way. That's not a knock on this thread, I'm just a massive baby who can't take the horrors of humanity :v:
This stuff is also incredibly funny. I'm glad that people who lived 388 years ago can make me laugh on my rear end, and then I share that with y'all.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

U-boots was 33% percent dead, Japanese garrisons hovering around 90-97% depending on the island. (To be fair, there's not a lot of ways off an island, or a sinking sub)

80% dead is a cataclysmal percentage when you're talking populations. Wikipedia has some age pyramids of the USSR around the War, it's pretty dire, but not quite that high.

Aside from the war, which shrank the entire population pretty equally, there's huge divots around 1921 and 1931 coinciding with WWI+Revolution and the bulk of Stalin's reforms. Russians have really seen some poo poo.

However, I'm getting second thoughts about this graph.

Wait, I thought U-boat really was just loving wacky? 33% is still loving huge though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Frostwerks posted:

Wait, I thought U-boat really was just loving wacky? 33% is still loving huge though.

33% is probably over the course of the entire war. By 1945 the mortality rate was something like 90% but it was a lot smaller earlier in the war and being a U-Boat sailor in 1939 didn't guarantee you would still be at sea in 1945, even if you survived until then.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

I don't know how accurate this site is, or where their data is coming from, but:

quote:

Of the 1,155 U-boats Germany sent into combat, 725 had been sunk in the longest battle of the war. Lasting nearly six years, over 35,000 German sailors had put to sea, with 28,744 never returning – a death rate of 82 percent, the highest casualty rate of any armed forces of any conflict in the history of modern war.

http://www.uboataces.com/boa-uboat-end.shtml

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gully Foyle posted:

I don't know how accurate this site is, or where their data is coming from, but:

http://www.uboataces.com/boa-uboat-end.shtml

"Battle of the Atlantic" is a pretty broad use of the term battle.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Yo can people stop doing this? Either own up to using a Christian dating system or use another one. Pretending that it is inclusive just because it no longer explicitly mentions Christ (as if the way it was calculated is MERE COINCIDENCE) is intellectually cowardly.

'BC' implies there was a time when Christ was not, which is non-trinitarian heresy, and should be condemned by all good Christians in accordance with Emperor Constantine the Great's edict against the heretic Arius and the conclusions of the Nicean Council. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

JaucheCharly posted:

Political considerations interfering with military affairs is always good for (comical) tragedy. Like that thing on Kertsch where a certain Politbureau guy forbade the digging of trenches, because supposedly it would undermine the troop's spirit of attack. The german artillery ripped them to shreds. Ah, what was the name of this guy? Lev Mekhlis?

Oh, Mekhlis. Yes, let's put a QA guy in charge of army morale, why not.

• Locked thread