Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

harperdc posted:

Context: the Yakuza live in this really weird grey area in Japan, and plenty of people have studied much more than me, but it's a slightly different relationship than with organized crime in the U.S. All of these groups are associations and are on the books -- most of their businesses are through shell companies (duh) but there are official locations with a shingle outside saying "Yamaguchi-gumi", etc. Since I think 2010 or 2012, there have been attempts to tighten up against the influence of Yakuza in Japan, though -- I believe these new laws say that you can't legally do business with known yakuza businesses, and some of the big banks have gotten into hot water one after the other for having accounts with yakuza members. (This is a totally Japanese way to 'ban' them too -- we're not going to outright ban your groups, but make it illegal for anyone to do business with you? Sure, that makes sense).

Moreover, reading about this, it sounds like a political drama too between different yakuza groups (who have rivalries, duh) and different fighting organizations (PRIDE, K-1, etc) and TV distributors (who want good product but had to keep clean). In sumo, too, there were problems at that time with yakuza members taking the VIP seats up near the ring, and in Japan, even being up there and seen there is a sign of disrespect, or flaunting of authority by the yakuza groups.

Of course, the sad truth is a lot of stuff in the economy go through yakuza-owned companies or fronts and it never really seems like you're more than two steps away from something with ties to organized crime.

This may be partially why puro has lagged in recent years -- there's always some money to be found somewhere to prop things up, but if it comes from bad sources, that's not good. And with the heritage and history of that money coming from ill gains, then TV companies may have moved away from it for the time being. The quality of product of course has an effect, but the politics behind it may have hurt puro on TV as well. New Japan is making honest-to-god strides -- I saw Shinsuke Nakamura on a game show the other night. But that's of course another topic for another time.

didn't the most recent NOAH president have to resign due to yakuza connections?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I remember reading that it was actually a mistake, that Austin was busted open accidentally and they had to call an audible. I guess that was bullshit.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Thauros posted:

What was the reason for Kane's one day title reign between KOTR '98 and the following Raw?

Was it simply to pop a rating the next night when Austin won it back?

Austin had an elbow injury or something, and they thought he was going to be out for a while, he wasn't so they put the belt straight back on him.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

didn't the most recent NOAH president have to resign due to yakuza connections?

Yep.

quote:

Pro Wrestling NOAH just announced that General Manager Ryu Nakata and Counselor Haruka Eigen had ties to the Yakuza from 2003 to 2010, working with them to sell tickets to the company's live events.

All of the major Japanese media covered the story, which will give the promotion a bad public image. Virtually every promotion in sports and entertainment in Japan has Yakuza tie-ins, but it's probably best analogized like the steroid issue in sports in the U.S. It's commonplace in every major sport, deep down everyone knows it, but if it comes out that somebody used it publicly, it's a black mark against them. Pride went down largely because of these revelations.

Exactly how this will fall out is unknown, but expect fall out very quickly.

NOAH was, at least among Japanese sports fans, the most popular promotion in the country for much of the last decade, but fell on hard times in recent years once losing its network television outlet. A financially-strapped NTV, due to the recession, canceled pro wrestling, one of the longest lasting shows in the history of television in any country, dating back more than 50 years. The death of president Mitsuharu Misawa was another gigantic blow. Without strong television, the company was unable to create new stars who could sell tickets like Misawa and the frequently injured and physically destroyed Kenta Kobashi.

Those interested more in the DSE/Pride scandals should read these: http://www.fightopinion.com/2006/06/05/fuji-tv-cancels-pride-for-good/ and http://www.fightopinion.com/2012/03/01/miro-mijatovic-pride-yakuza-ownership/

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

FanofPortals posted:

with an off-colored joke.

You racist gently caress I am loving furious

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

the_american_dream posted:

If this comes off dickish I dont mean it, but the whole misspelling of Cena's name bit, where does it come from? Like I know its supposed to be funny but seeing 13 posts a page of Jhon Cane or whatever is like tiresome as hell

I thought it was from seeing twitter reactions to him doin' stuff, which are almost invariably spelled incorrectly. People are channeling their inner idiot wrestling fan. See also: Randy Ortan.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah, the "it's like steroids in baseball in America" line is dead on. Everyone knows the truth, they just don't want it to ever bubble up.

Add in a low ebb of interest (ala America until this past year or so) and few stars and that's why puro was struggling before the Great New Japan Resurgence of the past couple years.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

the_american_dream posted:

If this comes off dickish I dont mean it, but the whole misspelling of Cena's name bit, where does it come from? Like I know its supposed to be funny but seeing 13 posts a page of Jhon Cane or whatever is like tiresome as hell

Must just be a PSP thing. Like Jake the Sanem or Bork Lazer.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Pretty sure "Jhon Cena" came from ADR. In the lead up to Cena's return match at HIAC'13 for the WHC, Del Rio said "John Cena" a lot and it sounded like "Je-hon Cena" hence "Jhon."

If it was around before that then I don't know.

EDIT

Here's something I've always wondered: The nwo hand sign/ high five thing is supposed to look like they're passing a joint right?

I know once the Wolfpac started it was supposed to be a wolf head or something, but my -at the time- stoner friends and I would pass joints like that so we were all "dude, that totally means they smoke up!"

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jul 9, 2014

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Static Rook posted:

Here's something I've always wondered: The nwo hand sign/ high five thing is supposed to look like they're passing a joint right?

I know once the Wolfpac started it was supposed to be a wolf head or something, but my -at the time- stoner friends and I would pass joints like that so we were all "dude, that totally means they smoke up!"

Wade Boggs (Hennings close friend) claims that he invented it on the Mr. Perfect DVD. Although I am sure it was a Kliq thing started by X-Pac.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://twitter.com/search?q=Jhon%20Cena&src=typd

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Static Rook posted:

Your buddies were at least right about Nash, according to Big Daddy Cool himself, he used to smoke up in college to the point it got him in trouble with his college basketball.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Corzaa posted:

Must just be a PSP thing. Like Jake the Sanem or Bork Lazer.

Bork Laser was from Youtube. Someone posted a video of Brock beating up Zach Gowen, but Youtube kept taking it down for copyright, so he kept reposting under increasingly obscure/misspelled names like "Borck Lensar beats up Zakk Gown" until finally it was something like "Bork Laser beats up one leg man". He did a similar thing later on for Punk which was "Bork Laser beats up CM Pepsi".

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
There were a ton of renamed Youtube videos a few years back. I think that they called Kane "Jand" and "Cheese Souffle" for some reason

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

sticklefifer posted:

Bork Laser was from Youtube. Someone posted a video of Brock beating up Zach Gowen, but Youtube kept taking it down for copyright, so he kept reposting under increasingly obscure/misspelled names like "Borck Lensar beats up Zakk Gown" until finally it was something like "Bork Laser beats up one leg man". He did a similar thing later on for Punk which was "Bork Laser beats up CM Pepsi".

And Jake the Sanem was a legitimate typo. Someone was trying to type 'snake' and it came out 'sanem' and we nearly died.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Mystery Opponent posted:

There were a ton of renamed Youtube videos a few years back. I think that they called Kane "Jand" and "Cheese Souffle" for some reason

IIRC "Cheese Souffle" was basically Youtube code for WWE around 2007 in an attempt to evade detection. I remember a bunch of those since the occasional youtube video alongside following news and results was the main way I was following WWE then since I didn't have cable, online streams either didn't exist or I hadn't discovered then, and I didn't care enough to pirate them.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Static Rook posted:

I never heard that before, I just always assumed it was a wolfpac thing. Like they probably called themselves the Wolfpack backstage and then brought it into the act on TV eventually.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Static Rook posted:

I always thought they were making their hands kiss :3:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

birdlaw posted:

I always thought they were making their hands kiss :3:

This is what I thought as a kid too.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Shima Honnou posted:

Your buddies were at least right about Nash, according to Big Daddy Cool himself, he used to smoke up in college to the point it got him in trouble with his college basketball.

And Hall. I remember Hall telling a story about waiting to see Vince early in his run in WWF and the Nasty Boys (IIRC) were in before him and they were arguing with Vince because he had just added pot to the drug testing regime. Vince apparently yelled something at them like "Well, I guess you'll just have to drink and do more pills then!" Hall said that really worried him because it affected him directly.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

What is the appeal of roman reigns - he's got some talent but I don't rate him on the mike at all - is it just because he's not cena?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Manwithastick posted:

What is the appeal of roman reigns - he's got some talent but I don't rate him on the mike at all - is it just because he's not cena?

He beats people up with really cool moves.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Manwithastick posted:

This goes into a discussion we're having in another thread, but the appeal is basically that WWE books him as a guy who doesn't lose, and it's easy to like someone who kicks rear end.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Great White Hope posted:

He beats people up with really cool moves.

Yeah this is the heart of it. Like Goldberg, he has a physical intensity and everything he's trying to convey comes off in his matches, even if his promo ability is mediocre (he's a better promo than Goldy was though).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

He has a lot of visual charisma--he looks like a badass before he opens his mouth.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

He's a very good-looking man.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

He also does the best spear since kaitlyn

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I want to touch his arms

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
He's also a little teapot, short and stout.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
He's at least learned from Ambrose how to avoid the "WHAT" chants by changing his vocal cadence, and people seemed to be getting into him on the mic even though it wasn't the best promo. He's getting better gradually. The "assess and attack" thing isn't working though.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Roman Reigns is super dreamy and a cool guy and also my friend

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Perry Normal posted:

And Hall. I remember Hall telling a story about waiting to see Vince early in his run in WWF and the Nasty Boys (IIRC) were in before him and they were arguing with Vince because he had just added pot to the drug testing regime. Vince apparently yelled something at them like "Well, I guess you'll just have to drink and do more pills then!" Hall said that really worried him because it affected him directly.

I thought during that era of the WWE the closest they had to a drug testing regime was that if HBK stole it from you it was probably good poo poo?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Supreme Allah posted:

And Jake the Sanem was a legitimate typo. Someone was trying to type 'snake' and it came out 'sanem' and we nearly died.

That was me BTW. I have an awkward typing style where I use only three fingers but type at a rapid pace resulting in really awkward misspellings based on character layout.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Perry Normal posted:

Of course it directly affected Hall, it means the Nastys would try to steal his alcohol.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Nystral posted:

That was me BTW. I have an awkward typing style where I use only three fingers but type at a rapid pace resulting in really awkward misspellings based on character layout.

We know, we know.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I thought Bork Laser was from Fire Pro or something. I remember seeing it as a word filter on the DVDVR boards before Youtube even existed.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

oldpainless posted:

He's a very good-looking man.

I got into an argument with a female friend over whether he was the most attractive wrestler on the roster. :gay:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I thought Bork Laser was from Fire Pro or something. I remember seeing it as a word filter on the DVDVR boards before Youtube even existed.
Nah, in GBA Fire Pro he's Monster Gaea.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

epitasis posted:

I want to touch his arms

This.

Also why is jericho wrestling again? Hasn't he been retired for like 10 years or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

derriere demons posted:

This.

Also why is jericho wrestling again? Hasn't he been retired for like 10 years or something?

He left in 2005, came back in 2007, left in 2010, came back 2012, left 2012, came back 2013, left 2013.