Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Quick question: why wasn't Danny Alves playing?

He seemed like one of the better players in the Brazilian outfit from what I saw of their games and I notice he is listed in the substitutes. Was he injured or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

MuLepton posted:

Müller on Klose's record:
:allears:
Audio here.

I don't know if anyone caught it but during the postgame interviews (like the ones literally right after the game ended) Müller excused himself at the end of the interview with "Jetzt kommt der Opa drann" or something like that and the Klose was the next german player they interviewed.

I think they get along pretty well, it owns.

Old veteran and young buck who will one day probably break his record.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Fanatic posted:

He seemed like one of the better players in the Brazilian outfit from what I saw of their games and I notice he is listed in the substitutes. Was he injured or something?

He was poo poo and rightfully got dropped. The score would probably even been even worse with him in the team

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Tommy Muller is the best player in the world

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Fanatic posted:

Danny Alves has the same defensive discipline like Marcelo.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Jose posted:

He was poo poo and rightfully got dropped. The score would probably even been even worse with him in the team

I doubt it could have been any worse. As ineffective as Alves was, Maicon was a disaster.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

hopterque posted:

I don't know if anyone caught it but during the postgame interviews (like the ones literally right after the game ended) Müller excused himself at the end of the interview with "Jetzt kommt der Opa drann" or something like that and the Klose was the next german player they interviewed.

funny thing about the ZDF one was that they showed Cesars interview right after Müller said "Jetzt kommt der Opa dran" which was unintenionally funny

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
The individual players have their own share of mistakes or performance failures to mill over for the rest of their lives, but I think Scolari really screwed them with that starting line-up. Brazil is facing a quick, technically skilled side while Brazil is missing its own talisman and instead of girding yourself up with a well-disciplined defensive formation, you kept players like Ramires on the bench while starting lightweight flair players like Oscar and Bernard who aren’t well-versed in tracking back. You also keep Marcelo and Maicon in the back 4, leaving your center-backs even worse off than they would normally be.

The Brazilian public themselves were as receptive as they’ll ever be to an ugly slugfest and instead Scolari threw a bunch of well-intentioned players in an unbalanced system to get carved up. A defeat was so predictable (although that scoreline wasn't). Germany had so much space to work with and poor Dante was thrashing around like a suffocating fish trying to do the covering job of 3 players. Also, as much as everyone will rag on David Luiz, he at least was doing more of a job than the midfielders were. Even Brazil's forwards were just letting Germany's players romp towards Brazil's half of the field.

Full credit to the Germans for smelling weakness and shutting up the Brazil fans early.

Aside from shenanigans reminiscent of Colombia’s 1994 World Cup campaign screwing up everyone’s heads, I really can’t see any plan in Scolari’s lineup and how the players were supposed to implement it. Even if you account for Scolari’s mistakes when selecting his final squad, he could have made some much better choices than what he went with for the first half.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Teron D Amun posted:

funny thing about the ZDF one was that they showed Cesars interview right after Müller said "Jetzt kommt der Opa dran" which was unintenionally funny

yeah this but i guess everybody got that he meant magic miro

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Scolari should've tried to lose by as few goals as possible right from the start, even Löw was playing mind games trying to get him to play an offensive team and it worked, what an idiot.

TimberJoe
Oct 24, 2010

aww yeah im on this burger and shit

Winner of the PWM POTM for March 2012

El Hefe posted:

Scolari should've tried to lose by as few goals as possible right from the start, even Löw was playing mind games trying to get him to play an offensive team and it worked, what an idiot.

Yeah Scolari should have def tried to lose in the knockout stages

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Everyone knew they were going to lose.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Between Fernandinho, Paulinho, Ramires and Gustavo it seems like Brazil wouldn't suffer from playing a central midfield-heavy team. Put Oscar and Neymar in front of them and call it a day.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
That's like playing a high line vs 08/09 Barca or 12/13 Bayern, it's suicide.

Scolari hosed up.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I was at work during the match. Who won?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Did Ramires start any matches this World Cup? They looked a lot better with him on the field. He and Paulinho were way better than what Brazil started with. I don't know what the hell was up with Luis Gustavo in that game either. It's like the guy took sleeping pills before the match.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It felt like the players got way overexcited by the occasion and the #pray4neymar poo poo and came out the blocks pouring forward in a way that was just suicidal.

neonburzt
Jul 25, 2010
People I know were so shell shocked that they chalk this up to match fixing. Yes, it was that hard to believe. If you watch MMA, people reacted the same way when the champion Anderson Silva got knocked out by Chris Weidman.

To some, believing that the match was fixed from the start was an easier pill to swallow rather than accepting the fact that Brazil had nothing for the Germans.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

jyrka posted:

I was at work during the match. Who won?

Football

orange sky
May 7, 2007

neonburzt posted:

People I know were so shell shocked that they chalk this up to match fixing. Yes, it was that hard to believe. If you watch MMA, people reacted the same way when the champion Anderson Silva got knocked out by Chris Weidman.

To some, believing that the match was fixed from the start was an easier pill to swallow rather than accepting the fact that Brazil had nothing for the Germans.

Besides, no one would fix a loving 7-1, it's too brutal to be done.

Although there was a match in Nigeria I think that ended something like 49-0.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

El Hefe posted:

That's like playing a high line vs 08/09 Barca or 12/13 Bayern, it's suicide.

Scolari hosed up.
On the contrary it'd be the safest approach. Marcelo and Alves could bomb down and the midfield can cover with numbers to spare. The current Brazil is too laissez-faire without the players for it anyway. They won the 2009 confederations cup with pretty much this system too.

e: Brazil in 09

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

neonburzt posted:

Honestly I could see fixing a match to lose 3-2 or something but losing to the point that is actively humiliating and potentially damaging to your career? Even more so, the host nation desiring such an outcome?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Dunban posted:

Football

Glad to hear it. Big fan. Love the lads etc

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
The problem with the match-fixing theory is that the matches that get fixed are the ones no one is watching because match-fixers and the players who collaborate with them don't like to get detected and caught. The world was watching this game and it was a humiliation you can't put a price on.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

peanut- posted:

#pray4neymar

Did he survive, or is he still on death's door?

neonburzt posted:

If you watch MMA, people reacted the same way when the champion Anderson Silva got knocked out by Chris Weidman.

Not even that could compare to the sheer glory of last night. It's like each one of those goals was the equivalent of that knock out.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I'm amazed that there would be a national breakdown that overshadows the breakdown of the Spanish team, but welp. This is truly a special world cup, has there ever been anything remotely like this?

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

ephex posted:

he will

nice big picture with text that i can surely read

orange sky posted:

Besides, no one would fix a loving 7-1, it's too brutal to be done.

Although there was a match in Nigeria I think that ended something like 49-0.

The owner of that Nigerian team disbanded the club after that match!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wow that's much better

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Brony Car posted:

Did Ramires start any matches this World Cup? They looked a lot better with him on the field. He and Paulinho were way better than what Brazil started with. I don't know what the hell was up with Luis Gustavo in that game either. It's like the guy took sleeping pills before the match.

Paulinho wasn't starting because he was bad earlier in the tournament and Fernandinho was much better in the games where he replaced Paulinho. Ramires wasn't playing because Scolari likes to pick a team and then only change it in cases of injury, suspension, or really bad form, and Ramires wasn't in his team.

Aside from changes that had to be made due to injury or suspension, there were only really two changes Scolari made to his starting lineup at any point in this tournament, and both of those (Fernandinho for Paulinho and Maicon for Dani Alves) were made because the starting players were in really bad form. Everyone else, including players who weren't playing very well, like Hulk or Fred, stayed, because Scolari had picked his team and he was going to stick with it through thick and thin.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

lilljonas posted:

I'm amazed that there would be a national breakdown that overshadows the breakdown of the Spanish team, but welp. This is truly a special world cup, has there ever been anything remotely like this?

No, and there never will be again.

Savor the pure football that has been on display. For the last month it has been alive and well but it will be dead again by August, never to return. Shut it all down and let us have these fond memories imo.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Brony Car posted:

Paulinho is a proper shite garbageman

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Any photoshops of Löw dressed up as von Bismarck?

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Important Question! Is that a pizza?!

Muller is everything

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Sometimes it's good to give those kids in the global south a proper reminder that life isn't fair, just in case they haven't been reminded in the past 5 minutes

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

vivisectvnv posted:

Important Question! Is that a pizza?!

Muller is everything

He is the light and the way. He ended his post game interview yesterday with "I've got to go, Gramps is up next" and the next german player to be interviewed was Miroslav Klose.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

ephex posted:

He was quoted as saying "Take it to the final! As you can see, it is not easy, but you deserve it, congratulations"

:unsmith:

And that old man... was Adolf Hitler.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

hopterque posted:

He is the light and the way. He ended his post game interview yesterday with "I've got to go, Gramps is up next" and the next german player to be interviewed was Miroslav Klose.

Haha, please tell me this is true :)

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

neonburzt posted:

I don't watch MMA because I don't live in a house with wheels haha no offense fight fans just not my thing.. Moving on

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

African AIDS cum posted:

I don't watch MMA because I don't live in a house with wheels haha no offense fight fans just not my thing.. Moving on

In your trailer?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

FiftySeven posted:

Haha, please tell me this is true :)

It is. (It really is.)

• Locked thread