Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Imaduck posted:

What always bugs me is the retail stories where the customer is allegedly yelling and swearing at the employee, and employee just sits back and take it. When I worked retail management, if anyone started shouting or using any profanity with my employees I'd immediately step in and tell them if they didn't stop they would have to leave. Call centers have these policies as well, so I just don't get the stories where the stdh story-teller claims "the customer called the employee a 'loving oval office dyke' and she responded 'I'm sorry about that, sir.' Then I stepped in and saved the day."

I've never been in a management position but i'm pretty sure yelling back at the customer, profanity or not, will at least get you in trouble for resorting to getting into a shouting match and making the company look bad. So you step in and apologize on behalf of that employee by giving them 10% or whatever policy is for that kind of situation. The employee dealing with the aggressive customer by staying calm despite what's being said is completely believable.

What i don't believe is that same employee coming up with something on the spot that completely shuts down the aggressive customer and makes them leave in shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I've never been in a management position but i'm pretty sure yelling back at the customer, profanity or not, will at least get you in trouble for resorting to getting into a shouting match and making the company look bad. So you step in and apologize on behalf of that employee by giving them 10% or whatever policy is for that kind of situation. The employee dealing with the aggressive customer by staying calm despite what's being said is completely believable.

What i don't believe is that same employee coming up with something on the spot that completely shuts down the aggressive customer and makes them leave in shame.

You're supposed to stay nice and friendly. Even with bitchfacedcunts.

quote:

Picture Perfect Racism
PHOTO STUDIO | THUNDER BAY, ON, CANADA | BAD BEHAVIOR, BIGOTRY
(To generate more sales, we offer the customers a deal where, if they purchase $50 worth of extra sheets, they can purchase a full session CD for $89.99, which is regularly $250. The customer I am working with is First Nations, as I live in a community with a large Native population.)

Me: “So with this coupon, if you spend over $50 in extra merchandise, you can upgrade your CD for $89.99 if you’d like!”

Customer: “Not interested.”

Me: “Okay, not a problem. We’ll continue looking through your photos.”

(This goes on for some time while the customer’s two children, aged four and six, run around the studio lobby screaming and knocking things over. The customer finally puts the four-year-old girl in the uncomfortable looking mall stroller, where she promptly begins to scream in my ear. I continue with the sale.)

Me: “In this shot I felt like the kids were very posed, it has nice smiles from both of them though.”

Customer: “It’s ugh… Ugh! They’re all ugly! Why didn’t you take pictures of my kids like that! *gestures to stock photos on the wall of a little girl dancing around*

Me: “Generally the sessions that these types of pictures come from are sessions that start in the morning and last all day with corporate level photographers.”

Customer: “Whatever…”

(The little girl next to me is still screaming as her brother is banging away on the other computer’s keyboard. I pause so that the mother could intervene with the noise and turn slightly towards the girl to indicate why I’ve stopped. As I turn I see that the girl has raised her skirt, showing clearly soiled underwear that are the cause of her distress.)

Customer: “Hey! Don’t you f****** look at her! You f****** pervert!”

Me: “Sorry. I thought you might want to calm her down.”

Customer: “She’s my f****** daughter; I’ll do what I want! Don’t tell me how to raise my f****** kids, you white devil b****!”

Me: “I wasn’t trying to say—”

Customer: “I’M the customer. You pay attention to ME! GOT IT?!”

(Gritting my teeth, I continue with the sale. When she starts to order sheets, I realize she’s going to be buying almost $50 worth.)

Me: “If you buy one more sheet you’re over the $50 mark and you qualify for our CD deal! $89.99 for the full session, a savings of $170!”

Customer: “I’m. Not. Interested.”

Me: “Okay, I just wanted to make sure you didn’t want to take advantage of this awesome deal.”

Customer: “Seriously! Give it up! You just want more of my f****** money! You think I’m stupid, b****? ‘Cause I’m not!” *mumbles under her breath* “Stupid f****** white girl.”

(Finally the sale is coming to a close, and as I go to get up and go to the till, the customer stands up, and turns around.)

Customer: “So, I get all those images on the CD for free, right? Because I bought more than $50 with that coupon?”

Me: “No. I said you could get them for $89.99, which you refused three three times.”

Customer: “LIAR! You f****** lying white racist b****! You just don’t want to give me the free stuff because I’m Native! RACIST! RACIST!” *pointing at me as she yells*

(All the commotion has attracted the attention of the photographer in the back room, who comes out to see what the matter is.)

Photographer: “What’s going—”

Customer: “This f****** white girl is trying to rip me off because she’s racist!”

Photographer: *looks at me and then back at the customer* “I somehow doubt that, but let me see if I can find you a better deal.” *gets out paper, pencil and a calculator*

(After a few minutes the photographer concedes defeat.)

Photographer: “The deal you’re being offered is the best deal we can offer you, so unless you want to take that deal, you won’t be getting the full CD.”

Customer: “You’re a f****** racist, too! You’re all f****** RACISTS!”

Photographer: “You do realize that by assuming she’s racist because she’s white, and calling her various names pertaining to the colour of her skin, YOU are in fact being the racist?”

Customer: “Nice try! Only white people can be racist! Like the two of you!”

Photographer: “… I’m just going to let you know that my father is African Canadian, so by all accounts, I’m not ‘white.’ That’s just the colour my skin leads more towards.”

Customer: “Oh, um… I didn’t…”

(Wordlessly I walk up to the till so that the customer can pay for her photos before she leaves.)

Me: “Okay, have a nice day!”

Customer: “F*** you, you racist s***! Just because she’s black doesn’t mean you can treat me like s***!”

(The customer finally leaves. When she returned to pick up her photos she acted like nothing happened. Three years later, we still tell the story about her and her crazy attitude when we all need a laugh.)

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Last retail job I was in I had a few people say/do some pretty STDH type stuff. I just told them if they didn't calm down I would have to ask them to leave. If that didn't work I told them I'd have to call the police. I only had to actually call them once though so :shrug:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Khazar-khum posted:

Reader: "You do realize that by exaggerating (or even making up) negative interactions with PoCs, YOU are in fact being the racist?"

Cutscene Powers
Jun 7, 2010

Khazar-khum posted:

Corporate level photographers.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

No, you don't yell back at them, but you do ask them politely to stop. Yeah, it doesn't look great when a customer is yelling, but it looks really bad when you let a customer repeatedly scream "you're a racist white devil bitch" in your face over and over again and just pretend like everything is okay.

That's not to say customers don't get free things for being lovely all the time. If you calmly stick to your guns and keep asking for managers you'll often get something for nothing because it's not worth anyone's time to deal with you. When you start screaming and swearing though, employees have a perfect reason not to give you anything.

quote:

Customer: “Nice try! Only white people can be racist! Like the two of you!”
Smooth, person who doesn't exist.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
When I worked at McDonald's we were told to get a manager at the first sign of belligerency from a customer. Attempting to deal with it on our own was an actionable offense, which I don't really agree with but I do understand the reasoning behind.

McDonald's is a different environment from retail though so it might not be cross-applicable. (Is that a word?)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
YOU ARE, IN FACT, BEING THE RACIST!

silencekit
May 1, 2014

stdh posted:

Three years later, we still tell the story about her and her crazy attitude when we all need a laugh.

An epilogue is also a red flag that it didn't happen.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
(Our professor is known to bully, tease, or intimidate students. He also states that grading starts at an ‘F’ and everyone must earn an ‘A.’ I am a senior and my project partner is very smart but meek freshman girl. I tell her that she should present our progress report.)

Partner: *nervously* “So my, uh, project is on…” *almost crying*

Professor: “This is too easy. Really now, who is your partner.”

(She points to me.)

Professor: “[My Name], did you make your partner present knowing she is so shy?”

(I just smile.)

Professor: “Get up here and explain your project.”

(I explain our project. Afterwards…)

Professor: “So you set her up knowing I would intimidate her.”

Me: “Yes.”

Professor: “And you knew I would give up.”

Me: “Yes. You are teaching sociology, after all.”

Professor: “Hmm, so really you were setting me up, Okay, for social engineering you earned an ‘A’, and your partner a ‘B.’ As for the rest of you, the bar is set, and you are still only at Cs.”

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I've read that story three times and I still don't get it.

e: Well, I mean, I get it, but I don't get it. Why didn't he just go up and present the project himself, if the professor loves to bully students why would he have let the shy partner go sit down, oh who cares this didn't loving happen.

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 21:25 on Jul 9, 2014

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

corn in the bible posted:

Professor: “Hmm, so really you were setting me up, Okay, for social engineering you earned an ‘A’, and your partner a ‘B.’ As for the rest of you, the bar is set, and you are still only at Cs.”
I know we throw around 'was this story written by aliens' a lot, but seriously,

was this story written by aliens?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Just stupid people.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

(Our professor is known to bully, tease, or intimidate students. He also states that grading starts at an ‘F’ and everyone must earn an ‘A.’ I am a senior and my project partner is very smart but meek freshman girl. I tell her that she should present our progress report.)

Partner: *nervously* “So my, uh, project is on…” *almost crying*

Professor: “This is too easy. Really now, who is your partner.”

(She points to me.)

Professor: “[My Name], did you make your partner present knowing she is so shy?”

(I just smile.)

Professor: “Get up here and explain your project.”

(I explain our project. Afterwards…)

Professor: “So you set her up knowing I would intimidate her.”

Me: “Yes.”

Professor: “And you knew I would give up.”

Me: “Yes. You are teaching sociology, after all.”

And that student was Kira.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Decrepus posted:

And that student was Kira.

All according to keikaku...

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Customer: I'll take this [snack food]... and eat it!

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Pidmon posted:

Customer: I'll take this [snack food]... and eat it!

Still hilarious every time. :allears:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

duckmaster posted:

Genuine question: do American service staff actually talk like this? All these stories seem to feature an offensively condescending fast food worker on some kind of power trip, banging on about franchises and the moral issues surrounding free coffee.

I'm going to America soon and I don't want to go to land of condescending dickhead fast food workers so please tell me this is just STDH land :ohdear:

No, of course not. That's why these stories are so funny. No one on earth talks like that.

Imaduck posted:

What always bugs me is the retail stories where the customer is allegedly yelling and swearing at the employee, and employee just sits back and take it. When I worked retail management, if anyone started shouting or using any profanity with my employees I'd immediately step in and tell them if they didn't stop they would have to leave. Call centers have these policies as well, so I just don't get the stories where the stdh story-teller claims "the customer called the employee a 'loving oval office dyke' and she responded 'I'm sorry about that, sir.' Then I stepped in and saved the day."

This, too. You don't let it happen and just smile, and you don't yell at them. The first thing you'rE told to do in that situation is to get your manager. YOU can't call the cops, ban the customer from the store, etc. It's the manager's job to deal with this kind of abusive numbnuts.

I've only worked retail collectively about a year, so I haven't seen many incidents where a customer is redfaced and screaming, but it does happen. NAR contributors have never seen a person swear before, because what they write is completely insane, but you do get the very occasional 'gently caress YOU!" or "THIS IS BECAUSE I'M *some ethnicity*, ISN'T IT?"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

bringmyfishback posted:

"THIS IS BECAUSE I'M *some ethnicity*, ISN'T IT?"

I can't help but imagine that this is partly influenced by it actually, in fact, being because they're ____ ethnicity a large portion of the time. Gotta make you pretty sensitive to it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Imaduck posted:

As far as call centers go, it depends. I've worked at some where you were able to give them three tries to stop insulting before releasing the call and you had to document the caller was abusive, others you got a supervisor for once they started up. Worst call center I was at, you were expected to take it, try to de-escalate if you could, and you couldn't release the call for any reason.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Ytlaya posted:

I can't help but imagine that this is partly influenced by it actually, in fact, being because they're ____ ethnicity a large portion of the time. Gotta make you pretty sensitive to it.

We were in Vons checkout line when the checker called for a manager. The customer, a skinny black girl, started yelling about 'being ghetto' and stormed out of the store. I have no idea why. And no one offered to marry the checker. Maybe someone from NAR can help.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Ytlaya posted:

This is what baffles me - I've spent three years in retail, and I've only been called racist once (by another white lady). From these retail stories you'd think it happens all the time.

I can't help but think it might be a self fulfilling prophecy for some of the storytellers. The way they describe the customers in these stories is pretty gross (especially the really exaggerated ethnic stereotypes) and I'm sure it comes across in the quality of their service.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

...what.

Yes, I won't let someone return a pair of jeans with period blood caked in the crotch because the person in question is a different ethnicity than me. Please.

I'm not saying that no one is ever racist, but in most cases, it's someone looking for a discount or a bent rule.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PUGGERNAUT posted:

This is what baffles me - I've spent three years in retail, and I've only been called racist once (by another white lady). From these retail stories you'd think it happens all the time.

I can't help but think it might be a self fulfilling prophecy for some of the storytellers. The way they describe the customers in these stories is pretty gross (especially the really exaggerated ethnic stereotypes) and I'm sure it comes across in the quality of their service.

Hmm... maybe the grain of truth is that they got called racist because they were being racist.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

bitchface story

You could make a subreddit called Pretty Much Fantasies From The Santa Barbara Shooter's Diary.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
In spite of living in a 40% black area in the South, in my 2.5 years in retail I (a very white person) was never accused of being racist. However, I did have several white customers come up to me and use racial slurs while referring to other customers and employees.

It was almost always along the lines of "heh, I can't believe you have to deal with those [racial slur]," like I was supposed to high five them or something because they're "on my side." I imagine these are the same people who give us stories for this thread.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

bringmyfishback posted:

...what.

Yes, I won't let someone return a pair of jeans with period blood caked in the crotch because the person in question is a different ethnicity than me. Please.

I'm not saying that no one is ever racist, but in most cases, it's someone looking for a discount or a bent rule.

Scoff all you want, but lots of PoCs experience problems when they're "shopping while black." Usually SWB involves retail workers or security guards carefully watching PoCs in the store to make sure they don't steal anything, but it can take lots of other forms. As the name implies, it's often - but not always - black or African-American patrons facing this kind of discrimination. In one study of black people living in black neighborhoods in New York and Philadelphia, 35% of respondents reported that it happens to them "consistently" when they shop at white-owned businesses. If retail workers "consistently" mistreated you, do you think you would necessarily assume that one saying "No, we can't accept that return" is on the up-and-up?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There's also a vicious cycle involved with perceived low tipping and bad service.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Pththya-lyi posted:

Scoff all you want, but lots of PoCs experience problems when they're "shopping while black." Usually SWB involves retail workers or security guards carefully watching PoCs in the store to make sure they don't steal anything, but it can take lots of other forms. As the name implies, it's often - but not always - black or African-American patrons facing this kind of discrimination. In one study of black people living in black neighborhoods in New York and Philadelphia, 35% of respondents reported that it happens to them "consistently" when they shop at white-owned businesses. If retail workers "consistently" mistreated you, do you think you would necessarily assume that one saying "No, we can't accept that return" is on the up-and-up?

Never said it never happened. What I AM saying is that the few times I've had someone pull the race card on me, they wanted me to either break a rule or give them a massive discount.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
(My acting class is getting ready to put on a show for a bunch of kindergarteners. We’re all in costume and most of the class is out on stage, playing Simon Says with the kids before the show starts. However, three friends and myself are in the boy’s dressing room. Our stage manager is from a completely different class, a little high-strung, and barely knows any of us. Boy #1 is messing around on the piano. )

Boy #1: “Do… Do re mi… F*** it.” *starts playing a very recognizable melody*

(Boy #1 gives up and starts playing a very recognizable melody on the piano instead.)

Boy #1: “Every single day, I walk down the street…”

Girl: *chimes in* “I hear people say, ‘Baby’s so sweet!’”

Me: “Ever since puberty, everybody stares at me!”

Boy #2: “Boys, girls, I can’t help it baby!”

(Boy #1 abandons the piano and continues acapella. Meanwhile, the girl steps back and leads us into the backstage area.)

Boy #1: “So be kind and don’t lose your mind!”

Girl: “Just remember that I’m your baby!”

(This continues through the second chorus, often blending into harmony, with everyone jumping on tables and chairs, making grand gestures and dancing around until, at just the right part, our stage manager comes back stage and immediately looks confused.)

Me: “No way, can I be what I’m not!”

Boy #2: “But hey, don’t you want your girl hot?!”

Stage Manager: “Hey, guys, the show’s about— what are you all doing?”

(Boy #1 completely ignores my stage manager and jumps down from his table, right behind where she’s standing.)

Boy #1: “Don’t fight, don’t lose your head!”

(He then drops down to his knees, grabs onto her leg, and looks up at her with puppy dog eyes.)

Boy #1: “Cause every night, who’s in your bed?!”

Stage Manager: “Wait, what’s he—”

Boy #1: “Who? Who’s in your bed? Kiss, pookie!”

(Boy #1 flutters his eyes and makes kissy faces at her before finally letting go. We all had to take three minutes to calm down enough from laughing from just the look on our temporary stage manager’s face to actually go out for our performance. When we told our regular teacher this later, she just started laughing and promised she’d show the other class Rent.)

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I find it eminently plausible that a bunch of theater nerds dicking around would lapse into Rent.

If anything the least believable bit is the other theater girl NOT knowing about it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Now on the acting class syllabus: how not to delay your performance because you hosed around too much backstage.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

As someone with 7 years in theatre, I've seen a gently caress ton of weird and crazy poo poo happen when the boss/manager/director/teacher isn't around to keep people focused or on task.

But no one, loving NO ONE, fucks around like that minutes before a show.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Action-Bastard posted:

As someone with 7 years in theatre, I've seen a gently caress ton of weird and crazy poo poo happen when the boss/manager/director/teacher isn't around to keep people focused or on task.

But no one, loving NO ONE, fucks around like that minutes before a show.

Fair enough, I'll trust the people who know what they're talking about.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

nucleicmaxid posted:

Not even that.. it would be almost impossible for you to mistake the MASSIVELY AND INTENSELY BRANDED cup from another chain.

I don't know... My dad came home from Dunkin Donuts one morning with a story about an angry redneck trying to return a day-old sandwich from ToGo, and not understanding why he couldn't.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I misread that as first as a bunch of kindergarteners busting out into an impromptu musical number. I think I like that mental image more.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

System Metternich posted:

I misread that as first as a bunch of kindergarteners busting out into an impromptu musical number. I think I like that mental image more.

At first I thought they were singing the theme song from Arthur which made me even more confused.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

sweeperbravo posted:

At first I thought they were singing the theme song from Arthur which made me even more confused.

Ahaha thank you for that mental image. :lol:

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

My acting class is getting ready to put on a show for a bunch of kindergarteners.

I'll buy this one. The story is lame and dumb. Theater nerds are lame and dumb. It's, like, the transitive property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
This story comes to you from Disboards.com, where you can discuss Disney World vacations in obsessive detail.

Funniest Memory On A Ride posted:

One time, my friend on I were on Expedition Everest [a Himalaya- and Yeti-themed roller coaster] and there was a LARGE group of girls in front of us. They were SO excited to go on the "nice, calm, relaxing train ride." I don't know what made them think it was just a train ride in the mountains. Anyways, they were enjoying the ride at the beginning where it's kind of relaxing. Then when we went up the big lift to the mountain, you could tell they were starting to get nervous. When we reached the broken tracks, that's where the fun started to begin. THEY. WERE. SCREAMING BLOODY MURDER!!!! They just got even louder when we went backwards!!! And they were like that for the rest of the ride!!!! When we were about to go back in the mountain where the yeti is, one girl yelled "IS IT OVER?!?!? IS IT OVER?!?!?!?!" Then when they saw the yeti, that was the loudest scream of all....... Me and my friend were cracking and laughing so hard the entire ride! It was definitely the funniest ride memory for me!

Yes, this group failed to hear screams coming from the ride, failed to read the posted sign warning that Expedition Everest is a "high-speed, roller coaster-type train ride . . . that includes sharp turns and sudden drops, traveling both forwards and backwards through dark, winding tunnels," and failed to connect the dots when they had to submit to seat restraints. Indeed, "I don't know what made them think it was just a train ride in the mountains."

Pththya-lyi has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Jul 10, 2014

• Locked thread