Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Hey Sumo dudes, I know about DRZ-SM's, but I know basically nothing about modifying them. Does this sound like a list of good and proper mods that one would do to a DRZ without killing it? Would a bike kitted out like this be essentially a DRZ in its ultimate form?

kijiji.ca posted:

Upgrades include:
-434 big bore kit
-FCR39 carb
-4x4 mod
-Twinair filter
-Stage 2 hotcams
-SSW MRD full exhaust
-Racetec springs front and rear - stiffer for 180-200lbs rider
-Cyclops headlight
-Edge taillight
-Case savers
-Manual cam chain tensioner
-Zeta handguards
-Protaper bars
-Zeta front sproket guard
-Stainless steel brake lines
-Zeta brake/clutch levers
-Seat concepts foam & gripper cover

$5000 CDN, 24k kms, essentially one owner, in case you're curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Linedance posted:

When were the mods added? if it was at 4k km it's not nearly as good of a deal if it was at 20k km. Otherwise it sounds like an awesome bike and you guys always pay a super premium for bikes so you should probably buy it and wheelie off into the sunset (I am thinking of doing 434 kit this winter, people say to stay away from 470 kit due to reliability issues)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

apatite posted:

When were the mods added? if it was at 4k km it's not nearly as good of a deal if it was at 20k km. Otherwise it sounds like an awesome bike and you guys always pay a super premium for bikes so you should probably buy it and wheelie off into the sunset (I am thinking of doing 434 kit this winter, people say to stay away from 470 kit due to reliability issues)

doesn't say, but I'm guessing over the course of ownership. Ad says the springs were done 2 months ago, but I don't know about the rest. Guy says he bought the bike with 100kms on it, so he's had it a while. Realistically I won't be able to go look at it until the end of the month, but I'll send him a message then on the off chance it's still for sale. Says he's not in a hurry to sell and won't be entertaining low ballers, so there's a chance...

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

You're insane if you take your DRZ on the interstates or anywhere above 60.

I rode a buddies DRZ SM this weekend at 90.
I don't see the issue?

Its certainly smoother than my 2 stroke 250 at 90!

I sort of want one. bad. real bad.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Google tells me 5k CDN is ~4700 dollars. You can probably talk him down to $4k USD since it has higher miles. Low mileage DRZ's command a bit of a premium. If that same bike had 5k miles it wouldn't be a bad buy at asking price IMO.

The fact that it has pretty much every mod you'd want to do to a DRZ done already is a plus to most but YMMV. Some people are weird and like to do everything themselves. I like those people because they make bikes a WAY better deal for me because I'm not eating the cost of every single mod when I sell.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Linedance posted:

Hey Sumo dudes, I know about DRZ-SM's, but I know basically nothing about modifying them. Does this sound like a list of good and proper mods that one would do to a DRZ without killing it? Would a bike kitted out like this be essentially a DRZ in its ultimate form?

Thats a really decent setup for the money. I think the 434 is the best bang for your reliability buck. There are kits that make more power (470/490) but they are hard on cranks and bearings.

FCR39 is of course the best option.

MRD pipe is completely hand made and gorgeous, as well as being the best pipe (power-wise) you can get. Beware that the power it makes comes at the cost of sound. Mine has the quiet tip in it and it is still ear-poundingly loud. If you ride without ear plugs, expect to go deaf in short order. If you decide its too loud, you can resell it for close to its cost new if its in good shape, as they are high in demand.

Hot cams are good, I'd look up the stage 2's and verify whether they will work with stock valve springs or not. If they need aftermarket springs, verify with the owner that they were installed.

The racetech springs are good, if you are in or around that weight range.

The rest of it is pretty standard DRZ stuff that is pretty hard to mess up. Throw that cyclops headlight in a volcano, they are so, SO ugly and inexplicably insanely popular.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Linedance posted:

I don't know how much they go for in Canuckistan, but that DRZ is basically as pimped out as it gets without going into really large and unreliable BB kits and silly things like colored bolts to match the bike.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Marxalot posted:

I don't know how much they go for in Canuckistan, but that DRZ is basically as pimped out as it gets without going into really large and unreliable BB kits and silly things like colored bolts to match the bike.

a quick look tells me it's just about on target for price. Barring me buying something daft like a MT01 or a big dumb Guzzi, it's either going to be something like this for ~$5000 or dropping another $1-2k for a 08'ish KTM Duke or SMC, or possibly a Dosoduro. Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely have a look once I'm back in the country.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
It's probably a joke, at least I hope it is. Also if any of y'all midwestern DRZ owners need a 434 kit my buddy has an awesome set up that involves boring and relining the stock cylinder for a CP piston.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 7, 2014

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Yerok posted:

It's probably a joke, at least I hope it is. Also if any of y'all midwestern DRZ owners need a 434 kit my buddy has an awesome set up that involves boring and relining the stock cylinder for a CP piston.

Is that cheaper than just buying a brand new jug? It's like 250 bucks IIRC for the Magura chinese kit (that works fine, Sisneros himself confirmed that he's installed them and had no problems) and like 400 for the Cylinder Works kit.

Those come with pistons and gaskets and such too.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Baller Witness Bro posted:

It's like 250 bucks IIRC for the Magura chinese kit (that works fine, Sisneros himself confirmed that he's installed them and had no problems)

Those come with pistons and gaskets and such too.

any non-sisneros confirmation of chinese kit longevity? I'm kind of a tight-wad but don't want to buy junk. also a link to $250 kit? I see some no-names on ebay for $300 and change

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Sumo goons, if you are in the central Midwest and have been looking for a 690smc, look no further.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=49#post431871571

If you were too lazy to click here's the skinny. 2009 690smc with 5550mi. I'm the second owner. Newish tires, tons of spares/upgrades will be included (most of which is not installed). Also have a giant loop moto coyote saddlebag we can discuss.

Asking $6500. Located in central IA.

Buy my bike so I'm not tempted to pull my for sale ads!

needknees fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 7, 2014

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

First goon to not buy that and buy a farkled DRZ is a fool

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buy it, then immediately sell it. Circle of life.......

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Hey I've had this for three years which is a long rear end time for someone with motorcycle adhd like me :v:

As posted in the marketplace thread, if some fellow CA jackass buys this bike at my asking price I will throw in the GLmoto Coyote with the sale. They're drat near 400 new.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

needknees posted:

Sumo goons, if you are in the central Midwest and have been looking for a 690smc, look no further.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=49#post431871571

If you were too lazy to click here's the skinny. 2009 690smc with 5550mi. I'm the second owner. Newish tires, tons of spares/upgrades will be included (most of which is not installed). Also have a giant loop moto coyote saddlebag we can discuss.

Sweet bike but an oil change every ~1300 miles?!

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

needknees posted:

Ah Jesus, I might have to talk to my wife tonight. Any idea on the feasibility of transporting it to the east coast?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

High Protein posted:

Small oil capacity, high output relatively high rpm single (equals HEAT), plus getting beat up by the transmission? Yeah I'll bite the bullet and swap the synth dino goo more frequently than normal. If you think that's bad my trackbike gets oil changes every 300mi or so :geno:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

needknees posted:

Small oil capacity, high output relatively high rpm single (equals HEAT), plus getting beat up by the transmission? Yeah I'll bite the bullet and swap the synth dino goo more frequently than normal. If you think that's bad my trackbike gets oil changes every 300mi or so :geno:

On one hand I definitely get that, on the other hand doesn't KTM actually specify something bizarre like 10000 miles, at least for the latest ones? Not that I'd go with that...

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I change the oil in my tractor (DRZ) every 900 so 1300 is pretty alright. Also, it was $350 for the cylinder, piston, and gaskets together. I guess it just depends on if it's worth it to you to not run Chinese parts. I don't have any personal experience with the Magura kit but like you said if Sisneros was okay with it I'm sure it's fine.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Koruthaiolos posted:

Ah Jesus, I might have to talk to my wife tonight. Any idea on the feasibility of transporting it to the east coast?

I've never shipped a bike but supposedly uship is very reasonable in cost. Would definitely assist in getting it set up if you do the legwork on arranging shipping.

High Protein posted:

On one hand I definitely get that, on the other hand doesn't KTM actually specify something bizarre like 10000 miles, at least for the latest ones? Not that I'd go with that...

It's for peace of mind more than anything. I'd rather spend the 50 bucks or so on oil and filters and KNOW my engine has fresh oil and won't lunch itself early. I can't remember the specific interval KTM recommends off the top of my head, but it always seemed a little long for what this engine goes through.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

apatite posted:

any non-sisneros confirmation of chinese kit longevity? I'm kind of a tight-wad but don't want to buy junk. also a link to $250 kit? I see some no-names on ebay for $300 and change

I found some random forums posts about it way back, I even posted in this thread about it I'm pretty sure. I emailed Sisneros at the time and he said he'd installed them before and had no problems.

I think this was the kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DRZ-...0425697&vxp=mtr

I think it's actually Namura and I accidentally typed Magura (they make hydraulic clutch kits and stuff).

Some googling would be in order as it's been like a year since I looked that stuff up. I'm sure there's plenty out there that have tried them.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Koruthaiolos posted:

I'll take you out there two up if you'll let me ride it once or twice.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ought ten posted:

I'll take you out there two up if you'll let me ride it once or twice.

I was just about to make this same offer, but I'm guessing he'd chose 2 up on your concours over my ninja

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

High Protein posted:

That's quite a bit actually. My drz rarely makes it past 900 miles on an oil change

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Changing the oil on a thumper why not do it all the time.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
It's a good thing that I'm about a grand short to impulse-buy that 690. I really don't have the room for one right now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That's quite a bit actually. My drz rarely makes it past 900 miles on an oil change

Doesn't suzuki say something like every 4k mi? I thought I was changing it too much at 1.5-2k.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
On KTMs the oil pan also acts as a glitter trap so it's good to empty it regularly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Marxalot posted:

Doesn't suzuki say something like every 4k mi? I thought I was changing it too much at 1.5-2k.

I never got that recommendation. My transmission gets super notchy before 1K miles usually.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

needknees posted:

drat you, I'm in Europe for another two weeks and bought a WR250X shortly before I left but I want your 690. If it's still around when I get back I'll probably get in touch with you...only question is fly-n-ride or drive and trailer it back to TN.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I found some random forums posts about it way back, I even posted in this thread about it I'm pretty sure. I emailed Sisneros at the time and he said he'd installed them before and had no problems.

I think this was the kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DRZ-...0425697&vxp=mtr

I think it's actually Namura and I accidentally typed Magura (they make hydraulic clutch kits and stuff).

Some googling would be in order as it's been like a year since I looked that stuff up. I'm sure there's plenty out there that have tried them.

Lots of race-quad guys running them it looks like because quad guys are even cheaper than I am. Seeing mostly positive reviews so far but did find this "be sure to lap the head/cylinder mating surfaces, I did the same kit and had problems with the head gasket sealing, I have also read about others having the same issues with the same kit"

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The recommendation for oil changes on the 690 is 3k. I usually did mine around 2-3k, because with the expensive stuff the transmission never felt notchy before that.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

ought ten posted:

Don't skip those pre-ride checks, kids.

Follow up: I called Warp 9 this morning and explained what I found. They're sending four new spokes free of charge. The guy I talked to (Rob?) said he'd never heard of anything similar happening and that it sounded like something got bound in the spokes. I'm wondering now if someone tried to move the bike while it was chained up. Anyway, easy resolution, faith in Warp 9 is maintained, no rampage necessary.

He also managed to get a nice dig in at DRZs, something like, "Spokes breaking on the front wheel is extremely rare, I mean it's not like people are jumping these things, they're not power monsters." Jeez okay I get it, I'll go buy a real SM.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Z3n posted:

The recommendation for oil changes on the 690 is 3k. I usually did mine around 2-3k, because with the expensive stuff the transmission never felt notchy before that.

2014 smc-r manual says every 10000km (6000mi), which is more than I'd be comfortable doing but I'd probably end up rounding down to like 5000 miles.

My current bike has dedicated transmisssion oil which is probably great for oil life, on the other hand its being air cooled, not so much.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

High Protein posted:

2014 smc-r manual says every 10000km (6000mi), which is more than I'd be comfortable doing but I'd probably end up rounding down to like 5000 miles.

My current bike has dedicated transmisssion oil which is probably great for oil life, on the other hand its being air cooled, not so much.

Oil change interval on the 1290 is loving 15k kms (9k miles). Insane. I've got 3k on it, 2k on this oil change, will probably change around 5k, depending on how it looks and feels.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So Hot Cams said my exhaust cam was two degrees retarded from their spec. That certainly explains some things.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

High Protein posted:

Still not sure what they did to the oil system that lets them get double the life out of the same oil with more power and displacement. They have an oil pressure sensor now, and I think the casings have changed a little so maybe there's more oil but it can't make that much difference surely?

EDIT: Nope, still only 1.7 litres. WHAT DID THEY DO :psyduck:

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 9, 2014

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The question is, is anyone actually running to 6K miles on a change? I'd guess like most recommendations for thumpers, its stupidly high. That or they're recommending some unicorn blood oil (more so than KTM normally does) that can take the ultimate pounding.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KTM: The Ultimate Pounding™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Same amount of the same Motorex UnicornSpaff 10W60 through the same two oil screens and two cartridge filters.

The cases have changed slightly, I think. I saw some pictures of a newer one than mine and the drain/screen plugs were in slightly different places. I usually change mine at 2k, it gets notchy at 2.5-3k.

I think a lot more changed in the 690cc versions than just punching out and re-mapping.

• Locked thread