Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
What's up with goonfleet dot com? It's throwing up SSL errors when I try to go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

So I'm pretty stoked about getting a 3.2 billion pod kill last night in a lowsec system. The guy was flying a tech 1 fit destroyer (in a gang of about 35-40). He had full slaves and a couple of hardwirings, but why do people do this? Why fly a ship worth hardly 10 mil if you are risking 3.2 billion every time you lose it?

I went into the fleet with an insta-locking condor, because I figured being able to catch almost everything and the potential for pod kills out weighs another doctrine frigate in a fleet of 60.

Possibly didn't have a jump clone available, or forgot what clone he was in. Probably relied on the law of averages protecting him from getting podded.

Delusibeta posted:

What's up with goonfleet dot com? It's throwing up SSL errors when I try to go there.

Solo is aware of it and is fixing it as fast as possible. It's not just you.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
You should write an ALOD article and describe how those Slaves made that Thrasher so much better than a normal Thrasher.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I am thinking about resubbing.

Are we still allowed to scam pubbies out of everything they own?

No more renting scams, obviously.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

TescoBag posted:

I am thinking about resubbing.

Are we still allowed to scam pubbies out of everything they own?

Yes.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Awesome, thanks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So I'm pretty stoked about getting a 3.2 billion pod kill last night in a lowsec system. The guy was flying a tech 1 fit destroyer (in a gang of about 35-40). He had full slaves and a couple of hardwirings, but why do people do this? Why fly a ship worth hardly 10 mil if you are risking 3.2 billion every time you lose it?

I went into the fleet with an insta-locking condor, because I figured being able to catch almost everything and the potential for pod kills out weighs another doctrine frigate in a fleet of 60.

I ganked a tech I industrial two nights ago. It was carrying a 5 billion isk tengu in its hold. Not sure why the guy didn't just fly the tengu around highsec, as his killboard showed that PL had killed him in lowsec flying an identically-fit tengu about two weeks earlier.

Answer: pubbies are retards, and because of that I now have 3 A-Type Invulns sitting in my jita hanger.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I killed a guy with low-grade slaves in a Taranis in lowsec once.

He wasn't even armor-fit. And he was in a FW complex, too, it's not like he was just shepherding his expensive clone from one system to another.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Reminds me of that guy who used up his sec status by just sitting outside of the Jita undock ganking pods. Every now and then he would nail a ridiculously expensive one.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
It was a gank thrasher too.

Well I've been flying in full genos for months now and I'm the one flying a tech 1 fit 1.7 million condor around.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I killed a guy with low-grade slaves in a Taranis in lowsec once.

He wasn't even armor-fit. And he was in a FW complex, too, it's not like he was just shepherding his expensive clone from one system to another.

I think that has to be a case of the guy not knowing what clone he was in. What makes me laugh is the frequency at which I eat pods with full sets of +5s in null, often warping gate to gate in the capsule. I killed a guy with a single jackal implant way down in the south east recently, too. My theory in that case was he had the implant drop somewhere and he just plugged in his new gear more or less on the spot.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
Low-grade snakes on the other hand make t1 frigs/destroyers pretty awesome to dick around lowsec with.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

F4T3 posted:

omg ... dat lewt.

Thank you for brightening my otherwise lovely day. :allears:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

TescoBag posted:

Is there a finders fee for finding actual renters?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

They announced there would be when the rental thing first started. Unfortunately, I can't access the wiki/confluence to confirm if it still goes on.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Boiled Water posted:

http://themittani.com/news/goonswarm-opens-rental-program-yes-really

There should be anyway.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
Since the wiki (new and old) are down right now...

I'm toying with the idea of fitting out a tengu or two for messing around in WH's solo. Does anyone have a fit they'd suggest? Trying to build out T3s myself but I feel like I'm doing it all wrong.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

The wiki isn't down. If you're using Chrome just type the word "danger" and you'll bypass the warning. There was a broadcast about this like an hour ago.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

You could almost say that you're entering a zone of danger.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

rafikki posted:

The wiki isn't down. If you're using Chrome just type the word "danger" and you'll bypass the warning. There was a broadcast about this like an hour ago.

Uh, I feel like the last time this sort of thing happened they told people not to screw around with bypassing your SSL warnings because those do useful things to protect your computer?

I use the webapp for Jabber so I'm not actually getting any broadcasts either, so maybe this is a different thing than the other thing.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Ashcans posted:

Uh, I feel like the last time this sort of thing happened they told people not to screw around with bypassing your SSL warnings because those do useful things to protect your computer?

I use the webapp for Jabber so I'm not actually getting any broadcasts either, so maybe this is a different thing than the other thing.

You feel wrong

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
If you're looking to run C3 sites solo in a tengu, I recommend you have multiple subsystems and the 'nearly impossible to probe down' mobile depot.
One fit would be a warp stabbed, cloaky interdiction nullified tengu for traveling inbetween holes, with a scanner.

For your combat fit, you want to aim for about 40-50% cap stability with your tengu, and the ability to tank about 1000 dps if you're just doing anomalies, and about 1350 if you are also doing signatures. Remember, sleepers do all types of damage so make sure to omni tank. I don't do signatures because they're riskier.

Make sure to look up each signature and anomaly you do before you do it, recognize triggers and shoot the neuts first. I can personally tank the sentry guns and the highest dps wave, so I just skip sentries and wait for them to despawn before I loot and salvage.

I'm at work so I can't give you an exact fit, but it has 4 Ballistic Controls in the lows, 6 launchers, no prop mod, faction (precision for frigs) and fury scourge missiles. Don't fit a target painter because there is overlap in the signature of sleepers in a c3 and the proper ammo type.

The only blingy item should be your shield booster, and it depends which one depending on your skills and implants. Please never, ever, ever put anything else that isn't tech 2 on your ship. Just because I have never lost a pve tengu, doesn't mean you wont lose one on your first day doing sites.

And if you meant pvp, I can't help you with a tengu fit other than recommending you don't use a solo tengu for wormhole pvp.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

You could almost say that you're entering a zone of danger.

How would you phrase that?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

:ccp: doing sensible things - the end of the "eve is dying" shitposts?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

blowfish posted:

:ccp: doing sensible things - the end of the "eve is dying" shitposts?

You don't spend enough time on the eve-o forums.

gingerberger
Jun 20, 2014

Gotta love my Squirtle Swag

orange juche posted:

How would you phrase that?

The zone will be one of danger?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Ashcans posted:

The short answer to the story is (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a security guy)...

goonfleet dot com has a SSL certificate for doing HTTPS encryption. When a connection is initiated from you to goonfleet dot com (or v.v?), goonfleet dot com sends a certificate and matches it with one on your computer. It does some kind of security checks (probably hashing?), makes sure some values match and that goonfleet dot com is actually the website located at the IP address(space) that your certificate says it is located at.

Our certificate expired (??). As such, I do not believe any of the information has changed; however, the expiration of the certificate means that we have an unauthentic claim to what goonfleet dot com is actually pointing to. I.e., even though the certificate says that the site exists in this IP address (space), that information is not necessarily up-to-date and could be incorrect/stale. Without up-to-date information, it becomes very hard for browsers to tell if the goonfleet dot com that you're accessing is actually the one you want, or someone else masquerading as the real goonfleet dot com.

This, I believe, usually presents itself as a man-in-the-middle attack.

If you, as in the brain in your fleshbag, trust the website that is goonfleet dot com, then typing danger and bypassing the SSL warning is probably fine a majority of the time. Because you have trust in Solo / Frabba / deadtear et al. that when they say "Goonfleet dot com is still up, but with SSL problems, we/you haven't been hacked" that they mean it, and it hasn't been hacked. On the other hand, if you're in a sketchy eastern European cyber-cafe, someone could do some hoodoo magic, intercept the certificate, actually play man-in-the-middle with you, and start loving with you.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Ashcans posted:

The last time that happened, someone (kcolor? Blawrf? I don't remember) broadcasted that going into browser settings and turning ssl off or something like that would fix the problem. That's what Solo said not to do.
This is just bypassing that specific SSL warning

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

If it was outright invalid or unsigned, I would be more worried. An expired certificate is something you should be alerted about, but having a cert expire for a gaming guild website run by what I assume are volunteer sysadmins isn't something that's a huge risk.

It also expired yesterday, not suddenly replaced by a 2 year old cert, which also suggests "Ooops we forgot to rotate it" instead of NSA superhackers trying to steal out ISK.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

mrmcd posted:

If it was outright invalid or unsigned, I would be more worried. An expired certificate is something you should be alerted about, but having a cert expire for a gaming guild website run by what I assume are volunteer sysadmins isn't something that's a huge risk.

It also expired yesterday, not suddenly replaced by a 2 year old cert, which also suggests "Ooops we forgot to rotate it" instead of NSA superhackers trying to steal out ISK.

True it's not your bank website, at the same time it is a game where someone faking out a SSL cert to gain access would be admired as good spying.

However, Solo did broadcast that this was coming; our renewal cert is being held up at brand verification since we're apparently known as a bunch of scammers, so I wouldn't worry about the warning.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

fordan posted:

True it's not your bank website, at the same time it is a game where someone faking out a SSL cert to gain access would be admired as good spying.

However, Solo did broadcast that this was coming; our renewal cert is being held up at brand verification since we're apparently known as a bunch of scammers, so I wouldn't worry about the warning.

I have no clue how they would get such an idea.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Moatman posted:

The last time that happened, someone (kcolor? Blawrf? I don't remember) broadcasted that going into browser settings and turning ssl off or something like that would fix the problem. That's what Solo said not to do.
This is just bypassing that specific SSL warning

Yea, that must be what I was thinking of. Thanks to Disgraceland for the run-down on what is actually/maybe happening.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

fordan posted:

Not that it's ever dissuaded people from considering cutting power lines to a player's house, but I imagine that depending on state and country, there are probably some legal ramifications towards knowingly committing to a MITM attack, which, of course, isn't complicated at all by the diverse and international community that plays this game (minus China).

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

fordan posted:

drat, knew I shouldn't have scammed that dude who worked for Comodo.

Edit: Also, the cert is now valid, Solo fixed it. All hail Solodrakban.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Recently I tried exchanging bookmarks between alts in different corps and it didn't work. Do I have to physically move the recipicient of the bookmarks to where the bookmarks are after contracting them? I first thought "this couldn't be, not even EVE is that stupid", but I guess the joke's on me now?

Or is there a different method of moving bookmarks? (Both the characters are only occasionally near a station where I could make a direct exchange and if one of them is there, the other can't be. The other character would actually need the bookmarks to move to the place where the bookmarks are, so this wouldn't work.)

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Libluini posted:

Recently I tried exchanging bookmarks between alts in different corps and it didn't work. Do I have to physically move the recipicient of the bookmarks to where the bookmarks are after contracting them? I first thought "this couldn't be, not even EVE is that stupid", but I guess the joke's on me now?

Bookmarks are physical objects that you have to drag and drop into your people and places window. So yes you need to physically have them in your hold to do it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

PST posted:

Bookmarks are physical objects that you have to drag and drop into your people and places window. So yes you need to physically have them in your hold to do it.

This is so loving dumb. So if your characters are in the same corp, they can be thousands of lightyears apart and still use the same bookmarks, but if they're in different corps, one of them has to physically move around to take them up for his corp? This is so bizarre I'm speachless. I guess I have to work around this phenomenon (something so strange doesn't deserve to be called a game mechanic).

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
There was a time when corporate bookmarks didn't even exist.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I don't see why an interplanetary civilization would have developed a way to transmit spatial coordinates to other people, that sort of thing doesn't seem to be useful at all!

Daler Mehndi posted:

There was a time when corporate bookmarks didn't even exist.

Remember when we didn't have corporate bookmarks, and there was no option to warp to 0? The only way to get around the galaxy without getting ganked on any gate was to arrange for a series of specially made bookmarks that would allow you to land directly on a gate/station (but only from a particular direction). And if you wanted to share those with other people, you had to grind your way through the horrifying copying system, stuff them all into a shuttle or something, and trade them to the other player.

It's a miracle we bothered to go anywhere.

Libluini, you could basically do that, copy the bookmark set into physical items and then use a shipping service to ship them to a trade hub that your other character can access more easily. Otherwise, yea, you need to fly to where they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Ashcans posted:

I don't see why an interplanetary civilization would have developed a way to transmit spatial coordinates to other people, that sort of thing doesn't seem to be useful at all!

I want to know what magical tech gives drones unlimited ammo, and see if we can bolt that to a hull somehow.

• Locked thread