Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smik
Mar 18, 2014

@Blind Sally: I don't mind if you want to do it on a sub-forum, as long as I get feedback. As I mentioned to Slowbeef, the last thing I want is something just... average. Do you mean for it to be on this sub-forum, or to make a new one under "Let's Play"... like a "Let's Playtest"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
If all else fails I'm sure Imp Zone or BYOB can provide valuable feedback for your videogame.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Worst case scenario, we'll have a Demon Rush. I'd say go for it just for the potential fun.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 9, 2014

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Hi Everyone,

So the playtest thread is at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3649299 and basically it's only the very earliest stages -- like I said, I'm looking to Fail Faster.

I'm looking to stamp out the bad, accentuate the good, and eliminate or retool as much mediocre as I can. Of course I'm limited to a degree by what RPG Maker allows, but if there's a lot of common complaints there's always modding!

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
All this talk about "Let's Playtest" has made me wonder the prospects of another idea.

I've kickstarted La-Mulana 2 and wonder if the idea of a sort of Let's Playtest would work for that. When the game engine's out, I would have access to the closed beta and the guys at Nigoro said they are totally okay with putting LP footage up of the bugtesting process. I wonder if a video/stream saga of playtesting the game would work or if that would be pushing the rules too hard.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

While that might be cool it may be difficult to implement. While some beta bugs are fun ones, a lot of it is just minor stuff or glitchy engine crap. Other than that the whole thing would just be an LP of the game before the 3 month mark.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

DreamShipWrecked posted:

While that might be cool it may be difficult to implement. While some beta bugs are fun ones, a lot of it is just minor stuff or glitchy engine crap. Other than that the whole thing would just be an LP of the game before the 3 month mark.
Yeah, the real fun of this idea is when a game is early in development, when entire stages are changed and obstacles are cut and added to the game entirely as a result of playtester input.

I'd really like to see a Let's Playtest of a platformer-type game, or a bullet hell.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

That being said, a Let's Playtest of a beta game that goes through the whole thing then doubles back when new content is added could be cool. However, it seems like it would be kind of redundant if the game has a thread in regular Games, unless it's really that obscure. That and if it is a popular game then we still have the issue that they 3-month rule is trying to prevent, where it'd just be an arms race to LP the most popular thing, much like Youtube.

And we don't want to be like Youtube.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It would be a neat idea to try.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Genocyber posted:

It would be a neat idea to try.
Yeah, it worked out pretty well when Simon was testing out alpha builds of Megaman Dongs, and his informative and insightful commentary really helped.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Getsuya posted:

Since up to this point the only gameplay videos I've made were brief boss battle vids, I figured I should just make sure this is alright before going ahead with the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-2cC8G1T7s

Yes I do show myself reloading from a save the first time I die and saving twice, but those were left in for the specific purpose of showing how that all looked and are then cut ever after.

Anyway I just want to make sure the audio and video are fine by other people. They look and sound fine to me but I have bad aesthetic sense.

I hate to be that guy, but I figure this might have gotten overlooked since it was posted immediately before the Let's Playtest thing which may have drowned it out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Aesclepia posted:

Test post for Harvest Moon 64 LP!

Here's the link: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=19725. I misunderstood the directions the first time. Many apologies.

I'm going for an informative, casual LP atmosphere. Not going for the 100% album because while that's impressive, it's not fun for me. I'm a goon who's put years of real time and play time into this game and was very sad when Looper's past one stopped. I'd like to try to go farther.

Commentary's good, but the screenshots are all different sizes and look kinda weird (though part of that weirdness is N64 emulation being a mess in general). Stick with one size, preferably 2x the native resolution so everything looks nice.

Another thing to be aware of is that LPing Harvest Moon games are kind of difficult in that you'll slowly run out of stuff to talk about as the game progresses, plus the repetitive nature of the games can make updates more of a chore than with other games. There's been quite a few attempts at the series, but I don't think any ever did a complete run of the game (the closest being Captain Misc's great LP, which sadly is lost to time thanks to Waffleimages). Don't let this discourage you from LPing the game, though, especially if you really like the series and the game in particular.

Otherwise, the commentary's pretty good from what little I've seen. Maybe do a longer test post with consistent images, but other than that I'm certainly looking forward to the LP.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That being said, a Let's Playtest of a beta game that goes through the whole thing then doubles back when new content is added could be cool. However, it seems like it would be kind of redundant if the game has a thread in regular Games, unless it's really that obscure. That and if it is a popular game then we still have the issue that they 3-month rule is trying to prevent, where it'd just be an arms race to LP the most popular thing, much like Youtube.

It may be neat if there were a thread where people could do early access games for a couple videos similar to the Let's Try or Let's Fail threads. Limiting the video count would be a good way to not become repetitive or a rush to do the same game over and over.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
For Goon and Country: Let's Play Cyber Nations!

What is this poo poo?
Cyber Nations is a persistent online JavaScript-based nation-state simulator. Set up your own country, levy taxes, spend taxes, build projects, join alliances and fight wars. The official forums have role-playing up the wazoo.

Why should I care?
Because once you get into it, it's hella fun and even mildly addictive. In past nations I've run in this thing, I have gained immense satisfaction from crushing another nation I've gone to war against and looting millions of dollars in equipment and resources. Since the game only allows you to do some things once a day, the action can slow right down into a 'check once a day then ignore' kind of thing. As timewasters go, though, it's better than many other browser games I've played, especially Facebook offerings.

Your last LP sucked my balls.

It did, and I'm very sorry. I'll never suck that badly again, I promise.

So how are you going to do this?

I have a good idea for that: I'll present each post in the form of things like news articles, government and military documents, etc. I might even record radio broadcasts, since I have some experience in community radio and other media. I'll make some pretty graphics for stuff like the national flag (since you can't do custom flags in the game itself) and other things. The level of input depends on the type of government the nation has: a democracy/republic will require votes, an absolute monarchy will have royal advisors, a dictatorship will just plow ahead and do whatever, capitalist government might have a board of directors or even a Corporate Congress (a la Continuum), and a transitional government will have any combination of the above. Anarchy (which happens under certain conditions) will result in the password to the account being posted and anyone can just have at it until stable government is re-established.

What we need:
Name for the nation
Type of government
Suggestions for flag design
Currency
Name for the newspaper
Name for the radio station

Any other suggestions welcome.

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 10, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ScreamingLlama posted:

You are insane.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

JT Jag posted:

You are insane.

rub it in why dontcha

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Getsuya posted:

I hate to be that guy, but I figure this might have gotten overlooked since it was posted immediately before the Let's Playtest thing which may have drowned it out.

Don't feel bad about being that guy!

... If all you're looking for is video/audio feedback, nothing stood out to me as wrong or particularly bad. Everything seemed acceptable.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ScreamingLlama posted:

Not to sound like an rear end in a top hat, but what's the point of this post? It's not like there's any content to give feedback on...

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah, these are pretty much the issues I'm seeing in my mind with this concept. I'm not trying to do an arms race however, I just want to try something different with Early Access/Beta games becoming far more prevalent.

In terms of doubling back though, I have a proper idea for an LP of the finished project which would basically be what I did with La-Mulana 1: Try to connect all the dots and also discuss the historical influences of the game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lazyfire posted:

It may be neat if there were a thread where people could do early access games for a couple videos similar to the Let's Try or Let's Fail threads. Limiting the video count would be a good way to not become repetitive or a rush to do the same game over and over.

That could work as well. Limit it to the first in-game chapter or two hours gameplay, whichever comes first, or something

It is a neat idea and I wouldn't mind contributing but there would definately bee some questions to answer. If it became A Thing then a single thread probably wouldn't contain it, so would they be mixed in with the general LP population or in a sub subforum? I lean towards the latter because everyone would be going in blind, so a lot of it would be pretty :effort: compared to the rest of the LPs. Then do we allow subsequent Lets Playstests by other people to make their own threads, or keep them all in the same thread? Plus you could never let the threads necro unless like a year went by due to update schedules for indie games

So many things

E. Post is not quote

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 10, 2014

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

anilEhilated posted:

Not to sound like an rear end in a top hat, but what's the point of this post? It's not like there's any content to give feedback on...

The LP hasn't started yet, I need the "stuff we need" before I can set up an account and start the ball rolling.

ScreamingLlama posted:

What we need:
Name for the nation
Type of government
Suggestions for flag design
Currency
Name for the newspaper
Name for the radio station

Any other suggestions welcome.

It also helps to know if I'm doing it right this time.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

ScreamingLlama posted:

The LP hasn't started yet, I need the "stuff we need" before I can set up an account and start the ball rolling.

Well you haven't done anything....so no, you're not really doing it right. An example of how you're going to do things is what a test post of consists of to give some feedback; even games that might need audience input can be made into a test post with you just filling in the blanks that the audience would normally fill.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
How the gently caress are we supposed to give feedback on whether or not you're doing it right when you haven't done anything yet?

Just make a fake account, fill out the stuff how you feel like, and poo poo together a test post of what an actual update will look like.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ScreamingLlama posted:

We're looking at technical proficiency and formatting more than they story of your LP, so it doesn't really matter what you pick for those parts.

A bunch of screenshots surrounded by lorem ipsum is better than nothing

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ScreamingLlama posted:

If you want feedback, create a mock-up country and post how you would handle a first turn of it.

Also, I think that LPs in which the author uses the first turn for voting, without actually providing content, are off-putting. I would suggest you create a country of your own and let the goons guide it from there on. It will have the added benefit of them having to overcome some initial pressure created by your unilateral input. Though I don't know anything about Cybernations so I may be off.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

steinrokkan posted:

If you want feedback, create a mock-up country and post how you would handle a first turn of it.

Also, I think that LPs in which the author uses the first turn for voting, without actually providing content, are off-putting. I would suggest you create a country of your own and let the goons guide it from there on. It will have the added benefit of them having to overcome some initial pressure created by your unilateral input. Though I don't know anything about Cybernations so I may be off.

Your first sentence sounds like it could solve your last sentence quite admirably. ScreamingLlama could mock together a trial government not only to show how updates will go for the LP here in the Sandcastle, but also to show the audience of his actual LP what they'll be voting for. You might even run the mock government straight into the ground as an example of what not to do.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Your first sentence sounds like it could solve your last sentence quite admirably. ScreamingLlama could mock together a trial government not only to show how updates will go for the LP here in the Sandcastle, but also to show the audience of his actual LP what they'll be voting for. You might even run the mock government straight into the ground as an example of what not to do how the game is meant to be played.

FTFY.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Niggurath posted:

Well you haven't done anything....so no, you're not really doing it right. An example of how you're going to do things is what a test post of consists of to give some feedback; even games that might need audience input can be made into a test post with you just filling in the blanks that the audience would normally fill.

OK, how about this?

news.com.au Friday, July 11, 2014

Micronation Formed By 'Goons', Secession Documents Claim

Artist's conception of the proposed central government building in the new nation's capital. Source: Google

The Premier and Attorney-General of Queensland were served notices of secession late yesterday morning, the authors claiming the founding of a new nation.

An area of land 450km west of Townsville, according to the documents received by the Queensland Government, has been designated as "The Micronation of Rangefall" under the control of a group claiming to represent the satirical website SomethingAwful.com.
Users of the for-profit site, who refer to themselves as 'goons', founded the nascent state in response to a litany of grievances with the state and federal governments, which the goons felt "have not been adequately resolved".
In a statement to news.com.au, SomethingAwful forum user ScreamingLlama summed up the reasons for such a drastic action:
"For too long, citizens of Queensland have put with Members of Parliament who, though ostensibly elected to serve the interests of their constituents, have sought only to line their pockets and curry favour with corporate bodies. This secession is, in some ways, a final solution to the problem which removes the state from the equation entirely".
Law firm Dewey, Screwem and Howe are adamant that the secession - which resembles the formation of the Hutt River Province in Western Australia in 1970 - has no legal standing. The Queensland Government is seeking legal advice.

Transitional Council of Rangefall
Ballot: Form Permanent Government According To Recommended Templates

Please mark with an X one option ONLY on your ballot paper. If you make a mistake, please ask the nearest electoral official for a replacement ballot paper. Remember, your vote counts!

[] Corporate Congress (+5% Land Area, -5% Initial Infrastructure Cost, -5% Upkeep Costs, Positive Environmental Impact)
[] Communist State (+5% Land Area, +8% Military Efficiency, -2% Military Upkeep Costs, +10% Spy Effectiveness, Negative Environmental Impact)
[] Direct Democracy (+1 Happiness, +8% Military Efficiency, Positive Environmental Impact)
[] Military Dictatorship (+8% Military Efficiency, -5% Initial Infrastructure Cost, -2% Military Upkeep Costs, Negative Environmental Impact)
[] Federalist State (+8% Military Efficiency, -5% Initial Infrastructure Cost, -5% Upkeep Costs, Neutral Environmental Impact)
[] Absolute Monarchy (+1 Happiness, +5% Land Area, -5% Initial Infrastructure Cost, Neutral Environmental Impact)
[] Republic (+5% Land Area, -5% Initial Infrastructure Cost, +10% Spy Effectiveness, Positive Environmental Impact)
[] Revolutionary (Socialist) State (+1 Happiness, -5% Initial Infrastructure Cost, -5% Upkeep Costs, Neutral Environmental Impact)
[] Totalitarian State (+1 Happiness, +5% Land Area, -2% Military Upkeep Costs, Neutral Environmental Impact)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

How about some actual gameplay?

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ultrafilter posted:

How about some actual gameplay?

There's not much to show. It's just click click click done most of the time. I can link you to the info page, but that's about it.

http://www.cybernations.net/nation_drill_display.asp?Nation_ID=557353

EDIT: The ballot I posted actually IS part of the gameplay: you vote, I click stuff, changes happen, game is played for the day.

GrandTheftAutism fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 11, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

And this is why you don't do LPs of barely dolled up spreadsheets.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It's possible though. TEW2013 was a mountain of work to keep interesting but crow and I managed to brinf Smasher Dynamo's league to some sort of conclusion.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

This is a "game" where nothing happens but clicking the same few buttons twice a day for a month unless a major war is going on and you're being forcefed huge amounts of resources by the clan to kick people while they're down.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I don't know. There's nothing really to critique but it really could be a decent thread depending on the audience participation.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

And of course the goons will do everything in their power to catch your military dictatorship on fire

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

dis astranagant posted:

And this is why you don't do LPs of barely dolled up spreadsheets.

Counterpoint.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

ScreamingLlama posted:

There's not much to show. It's just click click click done most of the time. I can link you to the info page, but that's about it.

Than either don't do the LP, or add things to make it more interesting.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That has writing and a goal. Cybernations is an open ended make bigger numbers on your spreadsheet simulator mostly known for how bad the forums are. This would be better off on Weekend Web than Let's Play :v:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Less Scanning Than Dark Souls, I Swear!

So unless you've been hiding under a rock and stumbled accidentally on the LP subforum (let alone the Games subforum) you've probably heard of the Metroid series of video games by Nintendo. The first three were action-adventure sidescrollers, with a major focus on exploration and atmosphere. So when the N64 was released, Nintendo just had to make another one...except for the fact that they ran into a creative brick wall at the time.

But then Nintendo began developing the GameCube, and decided to farm out several ideas to their subsidiary Retro Studios (based in Texas, funny enough). Three of them eventually were panned, but Metroid Prime stuck, and in 2002 (North America, at least) it was published to critical and popular acclaim.

Funny enough, Metroid Prime was not in 2D like its predecessors, but was instead a full-on FPS. It's not like that impairs the experience, really, since the game looks great and controls pretty well for lacking the arguably ideal setup of mouse-and-keyboard. Instead, given the focus on interacting with one's environment (and one's enemies), Prime featured a lock-on system wherein you could easily circle-strafe without having to pull off shenanigans with two joysticks.

Another major feature of Prime is the ability to scan. Many, many things have scannable data, from your enemies to research logs even to doors. (Really!) It's not nearly so encompassing as the Souls games (where several plot spoilers are hidden in item descriptions) but scanning does help to flesh out the world and make for meaningful characters. At least, so far as text boxes can go.

Unlike slowbeef, I'll be playing this game with plenty of experience under my belt, and on Hard Mode. (All this does is to double your damage taken and halve most of your damage dealt.) Co-commentating with me is my friend Will, who's also familiar with the series and who arguably was interested in it years before I was.

Videos:
1: Alone and Forsaken YouTube Polsy

--------

Particular Questions:
-Audio balance: is this alright?
-Talking over cutscenes: too much or fine? (Nothing is voiced and we tried to keep it subdued, but I have the original audio and can easily suppress)
-Dunno about the title.
-Should I tweak the video quality? This was recorded in 720x480p but since YouTube is weird about such resolutions I took the suggestion of the Tech Support Fort and upscaled by x3/2 with Spline36Resize (to 1080x720).

Dear my it's been three years since I last tried this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Just off the bat the second guy (Will?) is pretty quiet compared to you and the game music. The game is also damned loud, it's good that you turned on audio ducking but when I set the volume to a comfortable listening setting for the voices the music just blares.

Also, are you expecting people to read the text in the scans? If so, a good rule of thumb is to leave it on screen so that you can read it twice at a comfortable pace. That being said, I would only do that for important messages, since you seem to want to scan -everything-

E. What are you going to do for content? Even halfway through the video you're just repeating what the messages say in a bored tone.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 11, 2014

• Locked thread