Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
Alright here is what I have so far for a proposed new stickied thread I am calling "Cooking with Goons" that will give advice on how to cook and post in GWS.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=19727

I still have nothing for Photography & Presentation. Anyone here willing to contribute things like how to plate properly or equipment for taking good photographs of your food and the techniques for good food photography?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Is there a good resource for learning the dos and donts of a flat top stove? Can I still use my two-burner griddle?

Also, the new kitchen in the place I moved into conspicuously lacks drawers. Where the hell am I going to put my silverware... not to mention my other small kitchen tools? There's a lot of cabinets, but very limited counter space. Any silverware storage suggestions?

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Boxes. Jars. Cheap plastic drawers.

My place doesn't have many either but it's at least got one for cutlery.

e: also shoe bags are useful for drawer-like (i.e. easy access) storage for some things (http://joyfulhomemaking.com/2012/04/organizing-with-shoe-bags.html). They're not too expensive new but you can find them at thrift shops too. You can cut them and then nail them to the inside of your cabinet doors.

toe knee hand fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 9, 2014

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Mascarpone makes a mean frosting.

Have a particular recipe you recommend? I'm now thinking of making cocoa cookies with mascarpone frosting...or possibly making sandwich cookies out of them.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Brennanite posted:

Have a particular recipe you recommend? I'm now thinking of making cocoa cookies with mascarpone frosting...or possibly making sandwich cookies out of them.

Sadly, no - my fiancee was the one that made it, and she can't remember where she found the recipe. I am also not a good enough cook to know whether or not any given recipe I've found is decent. Sorry!

Maybe the cake thread (or a cake thread regular) will have an answer?

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
Can anyone give me a thumbs up/down on this mandoline? it looks like the best bang for my buck on Amazon and I really don't want to spend more than $30

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Loanarn posted:

Alright here is what I have so far for a proposed new stickied thread I am calling "Cooking with Goons" that will give advice on how to cook and post in GWS.

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=19727

I still have nothing for Photography & Presentation. Anyone here willing to contribute things like how to plate properly or equipment for taking good photographs of your food and the techniques for good food photography?

Whoa. That was hella quick. Just recalled another question that gets asked all the time. Good looking out.

I think Nicol also brought up some good points. Go ahead and tweak away, Nic. That way, Loanarn can see the stuff here, and add it into the thing. Great input too, SubG. You're good people. :) Maybe someone from Dorkroom can weigh in RE: phood photography? Gravi? Casu? Someone?

What stove should I buy?
If you have the money, gas or induction top range, and convection oven. Bear in mind that for induction, you'll have to get all cookware that works on induction. That is, if a magnet sticks to the bottom of the cookware, you're good to go. Convection ovens are really good at getting even temperature throughout, because the moving air seems to keep the heat distributed throughout the cooking chamber.

wheez the roux posted:

Can anyone give me a thumbs up/down on this mandoline? it looks like the best bang for my buck on Amazon and I really don't want to spend more than $30

That one is the favourite of the goon hivemind. While you're there, get some kevlar gloves.

toe knee hand posted:

Boxes. Jars. Cheap plastic drawers.

My place doesn't have many either but it's at least got one for cutlery.

e: also shoe bags are useful for drawer-like (i.e. easy access) storage for some things (http://joyfulhomemaking.com/2012/04/organizing-with-shoe-bags.html). They're not too expensive new but you can find them at thrift shops too. You can cut them and then nail them to the inside of your cabinet doors.
This is loving stroke of genius level brilliant.

Knockknees posted:

Is there a good resource for learning the dos and donts of a flat top stove? Can I still use my two-burner griddle?

Also, the new kitchen in the place I moved into conspicuously lacks drawers. Where the hell am I going to put my silverware... not to mention my other small kitchen tools? There's a lot of cabinets, but very limited counter space. Any silverware storage suggestions?

Use the two burner griddle. It'll be fine. You can even use (smooth bottomed) cast iron on it with no problems. Just avoid moving something across the surface of the flat top. It scratches hella easy.

black.lion posted:

What is a good simple recipe for lentils? Like lentils+spices+maybe broth and/or a vegetable, but mostly just lentils - trying to get more lentils into my diet but I don't want to add them into any of my regular recipes.
Make daal.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

wheez the roux posted:

I would except I cut my thumb off with mine.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Stringent posted:

I would except I cut my thumb off with mine.

it took a year of working in a kitchen and regular use of a hobart slicer until i lost a chunk of my index finger, which taught me the necessary respect to have for a safety mechanisms

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I chunked my thumb in one, it was not a nice night at the hospital. Also they gave me learner doc so that made it even more fun.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

Jan posted:

If your freezer can't freeze a bit of salty sauce, it is not cold enough.

I'm gonna take this as make a new batch then?

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

dino. posted:

Whoa. That was hella quick. Just recalled another question that gets asked all the time. Good looking out.

I think Nicol also brought up some good points. Go ahead and tweak away, Nic. That way, Loanarn can see the stuff here, and add it into the thing. Great input too, SubG. You're good people. :) Maybe someone from Dorkroom can weigh in RE: phood photography? Gravi? Casu? Someone?

Added Nicol's stuff and your oven question to the FAQ. I added more links to a wider variety of tops up top. I found some goon resources on Photography but could use others help on giving some basic helpful advice rather than just links.

I think is almost ready to post. The preview continually updates as I edit it and uses the same URL of http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=19727

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Wrote this a long time ago.

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Photography

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

You might also want to link to the FAQ in the industry thread. It's pretty good and thorough, if I do say so myself.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

wheez the roux posted:

I bought that one, and replaced it with this one, which I find far superior: http://www.amazon.com/Swissmar-Borner-V-1001-V-Slicer-Mandoline/dp/B0000632QE/

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

wheez the roux posted:

That's the right one.

I throw away the last inch or so of whatever I'm thin slicing so that I don't even attempt to get my hands close to the blade.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004

Chemmy posted:

That's the right one.

I throw away the last inch or so of whatever I'm thin slicing so that I don't even attempt to get my hands close to the blade.

at work we did garlic cloves on the mandolin :madmax:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

wheez the roux posted:

This is great but make sure you buy the larger version.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

Sgt. at Arms

Wroughtirony posted:

You might also want to link to the FAQ in the industry thread. It's pretty good and thorough, if I do say so myself.

Done. And with that I feel it is time to post this thing. I am always looking for more things that could be added to the OP.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

wheez the roux posted:

at work we did garlic cloves on the mandolin :madmax:

That's great lefty

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

This weekend I want to do a chicken ballotine and incorporate some of the fresher fruits (do we have a seasonal ingredients thread?) and have a few questions:

Is it intelligent at all to do a ballotine in the puddle machine and fry after, similar to a turkey porchetta or will the existence of a stuffing make it nonviable.

/e Nevermind the above, I can't read!

What'd be the best method to incorporate strawberries in the stuffing? Or would it be best to do a more traditional stuffing and make a sauce or glaze with say strawberries. I feel this is more lazy and missing my intent for the dish though, but I also think I'd need to add nuts into the stuffing if I use a fruit which I'm not the biggest fan of.

Or just any suggestions for a great summer fruit meal. I never really ever cook with fruit, I don't like sweet things, but reasons dictate I want to do this.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 9, 2014

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Alright thread, I'm trying to solve a problem: My chef wants to run flatbread/individual pizzas. However there's really no space or time for dough to be rolled out per order on the line. I tried putting together dough, rolling it out, and storing it but it seems to just want to snap back to not-flat-at-all, and I don't think I can really par cook the dough since it's only in the oven for 3 minutes total anyway. I was considering rolling them out to shape, pressing between plastic wrap, and freezing, and then thawing before use. But I'd really love a better idea than that because I don't think it's going to work.

Also I'd like to thank this thread in particular for the biscuit advice I got earlier, took me a few runs and some fiddling with measurements but I now produce some very tall, soft, sexy biscuits.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I don't know what kind of flatbread you're working with, but the restaurant I worked at did flatbread pizza and we just par-baked the bread to thisclose to being done. About two minutes or so, but you have to experiment with it. Then we dry stored it for the day. It's not something that keeps for long, and it's a pain in the rear end to do daily. Charging out the rear end and justifying the price based on toppings (duck, pork belly, and cherry reductions) were the only way to make it financially salvageable as a menu item, according my my boss.

The par-bake does work well though. Even if you're salamandering it just for the ingredients and then popping it in a hot oven to insure even melt, flat bread takes a lot of heat abuse.

Edit: our flatbread was basically a cross between ciabatta and pita. Look for recipes like that. That bread can take a goddamn beating.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 9, 2014

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Maybe I'm parbaking 30 seconds too long, but I worry about it being something that doesn't keep well for long - all my pizza experience has been "Make dough, freeze until the Rapture, don't worry the dough is still good" but I'd have to prep a week's worth of flatbread at a time instead of daily, and I just can't imagine it lasting 7 days unfrozen.

e: I'm using some random flatbread recipe that I keep toying with (kind of how all my recipe-making goes) but it's inching eerily close to my pizza dough recipe. So basically I'm just making pizza dough at this point. My heart isn't really in this project...

e2: I'll take a gander at some ciabatta/pita recipes, thanks!

black.lion fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 9, 2014

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Is there a good resource for beginners wanting to know about molecular gastronomy? (BTW - hate that term)

Specifically I had questions about how you use certain stabilizers to create semi-solid spheres from various liquids. I've seen it done a lot on TV, and it always kind of struck me as cool, but kind of pointless.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

CzarChasm posted:

Is there a good resource for beginners wanting to know about molecular gastronomy? (BTW - hate that term)

Specifically I had questions about how you use certain stabilizers to create semi-solid spheres from various liquids. I've seen it done a lot on TV, and it always kind of struck me as cool, but kind of pointless.
If you're just interested in spherification you can just pick a random web resource (e.g. molecularrecipes.com, which wants to sell you the supplies). It's a pretty well-explored method and there's really not that much to it, so all of the blogs and so on are basically going to repeat the same information.

The standard reference on general molecular gastronomy/modernist cooking is of course Myhrvold's Modernist Cuisine. If you don't want to shell out for the whole multi-volume monstrosity, there's Modernist Cuisine at Home. I can't quite recommend it as a beginner text---it sperges over fiddly poo poo it really doesn't need to, skips over or completely omits important poo poo, and isn't always reliable on the underlying science (if you care about that kind of thing). But it's probably the best all-in-one reference for a beginner, if that's what you're after.

I actually kinda want to recommend Blumenthal's Fat Duck Cookbook, which I personally found more helpful than Myhrvold's stuff, but it's about 90% background bullshit that most people probably don't actually care about and so isn't really well-structured as a reference work and certainly not as a beginner reference.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

+1 on modernist cuisine and modernist cuisine at home

btw, just call it modernist cooking or modernist cuisine. Almost no one calls it molecular gastronomy anymore

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
I got these packaged matsutake chawamushi cups from a Japanese grocery store. Do I microwave them? In the cup? Out? Can I serve them cold?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

btw, just call it modernist cooking or modernist cuisine. Almost no one calls it molecular gastronomy anymore
I liked it better when it was just called food science. But then the whole thing got small. Use sodium citrate to make thousands of litres of Cheese Whiz: food science. Use sodium citrate on some cheddar to make upscale mac and cheese: ~*modernist cuisine*~. Vacuum seal a portion of meat and heat it in a water bath in order to make a microwave dinner: food science. Vacuum seal a portion of meat and heat it in a water bath to make Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc Short Ribs[tm]: ~*modernist cuisine*~.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SubG posted:

I liked it better when it was just called food science. But then the whole thing got small. Use sodium citrate to make thousands of litres of Cheese Whiz: food science. Use sodium citrate on some cheddar to make upscale mac and cheese: ~*modernist cuisine*~. Vacuum seal a portion of meat and heat it in a water bath in order to make a microwave dinner: food science. Vacuum seal a portion of meat and heat it in a water bath to make Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc Short Ribs[tm]: ~*modernist cuisine*~.

fair enough. but "modernism" is still way better sounding than "molecular gastronomy"

edit this is a fun game though:

transglutaminase bits of pig offal and skeletal meat together into a rib shaped patty and slather with lovely bbq sauce and a pickle and serve once a year from a fast food restaurant: food science

transglutaminase pig parts together into a pretty little medallion and sear off and sauce with a tomato and anchovy gastrique and seasonal pickled vegetables: ~*modernist cuisine*~

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 9, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I like this game. Does bread count as modernist cuisine if it's given the same treatment?

Making perfectly consistent, tasty, evenly textured sandwich bread on yields of thousands of loaves a day: food science.

Using a precise combination of dough conditioners and treatments to yield perfectly textured and highly crusty loaves at home: modernist cuisine.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

fair enough. but "modernism" is still way better sounding than "molecular gastronomy"

GrAviTy84 posted:

edit this is a fun game though:

transglutaminase bits of pig offal and skeletal meat together into a rib shaped patty and slather with lovely bbq sauce and a pickle and serve once a year from a fast food restaurant: food science

transglutaminase pig parts together into a pretty little medallion and sear off and sauce with a tomato and anchovy gastrique and seasonal pickled vegetables: ~*modernist cuisine*~
Yeah. When you look at things most associated with snooty upscale French cuisine what you're looking at is mostly stuff that was French peasant cooking in earlier centuries. When you look at modernist cuisine, or whatever you want to call it, you're seeing something similar---it's mostly mid-20th Century peasant food.

I mean you see it being done with better quality ingredients and, usually, more elaborate plating. And I'm not trying to pretend that they don't count. But there's this weird messianic air surrounding a lot of modernist cooking that's completely loving at odds with the origins of most of the techniques. Like literally a lot of them were developed by Kraft, and literally McDonalds and Lean Cuisine have used them more than Keller, This, Blumenthal, Myhrvold, and all that lot and everyone who's copied them put together.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I like this game. Does bread count as modernist cuisine if it's given the same treatment?

Making perfectly consistent, tasty, evenly textured sandwich bread on yields of thousands of loaves a day: food science.

Using a precise combination of dough conditioners and treatments to yield perfectly textured and highly crusty loaves at home: modernist cuisine.
Bread isn't a particularly good example because most quote artisan unquote breadmakers don't employ the techniques developed for industrial breadmaking---that's why, for example, if you buy a baguette from a boulangerie in Paris or like from a street vendor in Jackson Square it isn't going to keep for as long as a loaf of Wonder Bread. Even if you don't just eat the fucker right there like you should.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

SubG posted:

Bread isn't a particularly good example because most quote artisan unquote breadmakers don't employ the techniques developed for industrial breadmaking---that's why, for example, if you buy a baguette from a boulangerie in Paris or like from a street vendor in Jackson Square it isn't going to keep for as long as a loaf of Wonder Bread. Even if you don't just eat the fucker right there like you should.

Good point. It's possible to do all those same things, but there's a reason Wonder Bread is so lovely, and it's not just because it's made as cheaply as possible.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My moms neighbor always makes all these great cakes and pies and brings them over. She's a diabetic so we can't return the favor - what is a tasty, non sugary treat or snack my mom could make to give to her neighbor in return?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Really yummy cornbread can have very little sugar but im not diabetic so

What does she like to eat?

chorizo dumplings

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

black.lion posted:

Really yummy cornbread can have very little sugar but im not diabetic so

What does she like to eat?

chorizo dumplings

She's a 65 year old white bread lady so nothing too exotic.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Bob Morales posted:

My moms neighbor always makes all these great cakes and pies and brings them over. She's a diabetic so we can't return the favor - what is a tasty, non sugary treat or snack my mom could make to give to her neighbor in return?

hummus is the answer to everything

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Bob Morales posted:

Roasted nuts or granola could be good, or maybe some home-made ice cream made from yoghurt and fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I am in the process of working our way through the freezer, and I came across a 4-5 lb beef pot roast. It was vacuum-sealed and still looks good, so I was going to cook it up for us.

Any good recipes for making one? I'm looking for something tried and true from you goons...so any ideas would be good.