Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
The new combat speech is hilarious. It's really great how even when they're in the middle of getting the poo poo kicked out of them, my dwarves have time to monologue on how our time is so brief in this world and death is all around us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

super fart shooter posted:

The new combat speech is hilarious. It's really great how even when they're in the middle of getting the poo poo kicked out of them, my dwarves have time to monologue on how our time is so brief in this world and death is all around us.

How cluttered do the combat logs get because of this? Like if you have a bigger fight with, say, goblin skirmishers, how difficult is it to read that poo poo?

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I haven't had any invaders yet so I don't know, but from what I've seen the amount of speech in the logs is still nothing compared to the action spam

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
The elf caravans are a lot different, all of their wood is preceded by the word "grown," like "grown oaken cage," which makes me wonder if that's kosher elf wood that's okay to trade back to them? Also, they seem to have access to all the tree fruits that are currently uncollectable in fortress mode.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah, that's exactly what it is. It seems like elfy wood behavior is controlled by the [OUTDOOR_ORCHARDS] tag.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Started a new fort in a nice hot mountain climate by a river. Prepare carefully? Doesn't sound like a good move to me; time to play now!

My dwarves make it to their mountain home and christen it... Calll Ashes?... :raise:

A few moments of staring later the name resolves itself in my mind into Call-Lashes; alright that makes more sense. I guess we are gonna have a crapload of industry; not so much on the freedom here. That's fine no biggie.

We finally arrive and summer hits; suddenly my grassy field explodes in white; apparently there is a massive amount of natural cotton growing just outside this fortress.

God drat random names. :doh:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
What the heck are all these?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Procedurally generated materials. Have fun figuring out what they do.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Elves expect the dwarves to use "grown wood" as a pet or something, sorta like a pet rock. Armok forbid if you turn it into something useful.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

FINALLY got an adventurer to survive long enough to get a quest to kill a vampire. I unmasked the creature, drank its blood, and immediately became annoyed at my companions boggarting my kills. They met an unfortunate accident in a nearby river.

Unfortunately, my very first attempt at feeding on a sleeping person was a failure, alerting everything nearby I was a vampire. Animals in particular hate me, as I got bumrushed by a few dozen rabbits and ducks as soon as I stepped outside the house I was staying in. Killing them meant I became hostile to everyone in this civilization, so I guess I've embarked on a quest to exterminate this township and everything nearby. I'm now eager to see what "Eystienn Glowfins the Everseeing Cleft of Limbs" shows up like in the Legends.

tl;dr That escalated quickly.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

my dad posted:

Procedurally generated materials. Have fun figuring out what they do.

As I understand it, they're divine substances created by gods or demons or ghosts or miracles or whatever. How do you even acquire them? I want to see if I can get a fey dwarf to make an artifact out of otherworldly singing ghost metal.

e: "otherworldly singing ghost metal" sounds like an awesome extremely specific musical subgenre

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Angry Diplomat posted:

As I understand it, they're divine substances created by gods or demons or ghosts or miracles or whatever. How do you even acquire them? I want to see if I can get a fey dwarf to make an artifact out of otherworldly singing ghost metal.

I'd start looking out for sites named "vaults".

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

Anyone else seen farm plots underground that will grow nothing but plump helmets and dimple dye?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

quote:

Civilized World Population

151,378 Dwarves
1,055,695,028 Humans
43,529 Elves
62,332 Goblins
2,577 Kobolds

Total: 1,055,954,844

It was just a medium world too. 550 years of generation though.

Also, this is pretty great DF fanart.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What am I doing wrong?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Oh god I think I have a vampire. Dwarves are randomly showing up dead but nobody is ever witnessing it and it's causing a tantrum spiral. I've never had one before what the hell do I do.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Oh god I think I have a vampire. Dwarves are randomly showing up dead but nobody is ever witnessing it and it's causing a tantrum spiral. I've never had one before what the hell do I do.

Panic?
Find the vampire and lock him into an inaccesbile room and use him as bookkeeper?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Don't vampire victims show up "drained of blood" when they're discovered? I'm pretty sure the announcement is different and makes it fairly clear that they're to blame. You might have ambushers or a nasty sneaky critter or something on your hands.

Unless that was changed, in which case you should watch your dorfs, try to expose them to scary situations, and see if one of them flips out and moves at sanic speed all of a sudden. Vampires try to conceal their supernatural prowess but if they're exposed to a threat they will sometimes hulk the gently caress out, which is very easy to spot if you happen to be watching.

When you know who the vampire is you can accuse him with your justice system, or just lock him away as bookkeeper as suggested. Vampires don't seem to give a poo poo about food or drink and I don't think they can go insane.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I'm honestly not sure what it is. I didn't get a message that they were found drained of blood. They were just found randomly dead. Now my dwarves are just beating the ever loving poo poo out of each other and killing each others pets.

And now a giant steam tarantula with a poison bite has come. This is the last thing I need!

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 9, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

And now a giant steam tarantula with a poison bite has come. This is the last thing I need!

Post the description text.

Because that sounds rad as hell.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I'm honestly not sure what it is. I didn't get a message that they were found drained of blood. They were just found randomly dead. Now my dwarves are just beating the ever loving poo poo out of each other and killing each others pets.

This is why I like taking 20-30% of my fort pop and making them mostly full-time military and keeping military facilities completely separate from the fort proper. Lonely martial dwarves don't make friends. Plus, any dwarf in the military more than a year will get the feelings traumatized out of them just as a matter of course and seeing the things that military dwarves see every day.

No friends, no tantrum spirals in your military, means you always have a base from which to build off and a core of tough motherfuckers who can put down any dwarves going berzerk. Then you just hold on for a couple years of migrant waves, which is difficult but usually by that point in a fort's life, difficulty is needed to keep it interesting!

What's really gonna give you grief is making enough coffins for the bodies.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Sultan Tarquin posted:

The sigh you emitted when it arrived was probably enough force to destroy it. Vaporous creatures are weird even by DF standards.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

The sigh you emitted when it arrived was probably enough force to destroy it. Vaporous creatures are weird even by DF standards.

Oh yeah one dwarf punched it and all of its limbs exploded. I'm looking through the justice menu at all the hundreds of disorderly conduct messages and there's no witnesses for anything. I guess dwarves ain't no fuckin' snitch.

Everythings hosed! Half of them are kicking the poo poo out of each other and pummeling their heads into gore and the rest are melancholic or have gone raving mad. It is terrifying.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 9, 2014

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Oh yeah one dwarf punched it and all of its limbs exploded. I'm looking through the justice menu at all the hundreds of disorderly conduct messages and there's no witnesses for anything. I guess dwarves ain't no fuckin' snitch.

"Goblins? Vampires? Ulric accidently pulled a lever? Doesn't matter - F YOU COPPERS!"

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It is The Goblin Age. Humans are isolated in their own little island, but the goblins must have underground tunnels or something because they still manage to attack every day. The human island is also subject to attack by necromancers commanding gangsters. I don't know where the dwarves are; they exist but must be so small that they don't actually show up on the map. The elves rule most of the land, but the goblins are the ones in control.

I'm going to leave my tiny human island and swim across and try to free the world from the tyranny of the green menace.

e:

Met posted:

Now regen the world with 1050 years :getin:

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

khy posted:

Even Therapist isn't exactly the world's friendliest tool. It's a huge grid of boxes filled with other boxes of varying sizes to represent skills, which can make it hard to identify at a glance what skill each dwarf has.

My impression is, there's a small black square dot which is bigger depending on the dwarf's skill at that particular job. A purple cell means that job is enabled as if you'd made it white in the game itself.

I can't think of an easier way of showing it.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Met posted:

Holy poo poo. Where'd this come from?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I moved my military into the middle of all the fighting just to aggravate the entire thing and it's pretty great.

:allears:

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

I visited a random fortress in adventure mode, which was perfectly square with about 30 dwarves inside. They were all trying to climb the walls and failing, slipping down and trying again and again. I took a couple of things from a pile of goods in the center, and the mayor lunged at me on my way out. I sliced off his neck (?), killing him, and the rest of the dwarves continued clawing at the fortress walls none the wiser.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

It is The Goblin Age. Humans are isolated in their own little island, but the goblins must have underground tunnels or something because they still manage to attack every day. The human island is also subject to attack by necromancers commanding gangsters. I don't know where the dwarves are; they exist but must be so small that they don't actually show up on the map. The elves rule most of the land, but the goblins are the ones in control.

I'm going to leave my tiny human island and swim across and try to free the world from the tyranny of the green menace.

The world I just generated is in The Goblin Age as well. The only elven nation left is a tiny holdout commune on the coast, the dwarves have remained ensconced in one huge mountainhome and a couple of heavily fortified outposts, the goblins have conquered almost everything, and the humans have in turn managed to rise to power in half the goblin lands.

So the human nation now rules a bunch of dark human pits, a dark human fortress, some human forest refuges, a human tower, and a smattering of human towns and hamlets. Because the humans have seemingly inherited a bunch of goblin culture and stuff, I keep generating adventurers with last names like Cobraboils who live in dark human fortresses and fervently worship the god of rainbows and light (seriously). Then there are outliers like Ifi Huglaughs, who apparently does not like hugs or laughter very much as she worships the same god of murder (and only murder) who helped a demon raise a giant slade murderspire through her home murderfortress "so that more might be murdered."

Interestingly, the locals do not identify the murder demon as their leader; in fact, a conversation with a local dark evil murderhuman worshiper of rainbows reveals that there are no fewer than twenty factions engaged in a violent struggle for control over the immediate area. Also interesting: a single necromancer lives in this world, smack in the middle of diabolic sunshine human territory, and everyone is terribly afraid of him despite living next door to a giant slade hellspire which should arguably put his little tower full of lovely skeletons to shame.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 9, 2014

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

This is quite possibly the most amazing thing I've ever witnessed.

This is new to me. When did stonesense (or whatever that isometric viewer was called) gain the ability to integrate itself into the game?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Sometime in the last month, maybe two months even.

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

Met posted:

How the hell do you get a billion humans in one world like that? You'd think the massive piles of peasants would crush themselves to death. Either that or starve.

Also, that fan art is the best thing I've ever seen and represents fort mode perfectly.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

There were a dozen stray cats outside the fort I started in and they all rushed in to bump their heads against me all at once :3:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, but I just turned it off because all of the names and text were missing chunks of names.

I have cats and now my fortress is filling with hamster and roach remains. My dwarfs won't put the hamster and roach remains outside in the trash like I asked them too. So now I don't know what to do.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

The world I just generated is in The Goblin Age as well. The only elven nation left is a tiny holdout commune on the coast, the dwarves have remained ensconced in one huge mountainhome and a couple of heavily fortified outposts, the goblins have conquered almost everything, and the humans have in turn managed to rise to power in half the goblin lands.

So the human nation now rules a bunch of dark human pits, a dark human fortress, some human forest refuges, a human tower, and a smattering of human towns and hamlets. Because the humans have seemingly inherited a bunch of goblin culture and stuff, I keep generating adventurers with last names like Cobraboils who live in dark human fortresses and fervently worship the god of rainbows and light (seriously). Then there are outliers like Ifi Huglaughs, who apparently does not like hugs or laughter very much as she worships the same god of murder (and only murder) who helped a demon raise a giant slade murderspire through her home murderfortress "so that more might be murdered."

Interestingly, the locals do not identify the murder demon as their leader; in fact, a conversation with a local dark evil murderhuman worshiper of rainbows reveals that there are no fewer than twenty factions engaged in a violent struggle for control over the immediate area. Also interesting: a single necromancer lives in this world, smack in the middle of diabolic sunshine human territory, and everyone is terribly afraid of him despite living next door to a giant slade hellspire which should arguably put his little tower full of lovely skeletons to shame.

Huh. Apparently Gamo the murderdemon has been dead for centuries - in year 80 he was somehow captured and imprisoned for 23 years, then he managed to escape and returned to his dark fortress. He killed a couple of humans on the way, then ruled uneventfully for seventeen years, apart from killing a single human in 113. He was "murdered" - not struck down, murdered - by the dwarf Utes Scaldeddevils in 120. Utes had just moved into the fortress as a farmer and was apparently not at all down with Gamo's style of governance, since she has no kills at all apart from singlehandedly assassinating the demonic god-emperor of murder holy poo poo.

She celebrated by getting married the following year, then having three kids. She and her husband were murdered in 124 by a vampire; her children survived her by decades, but were all ultimately murdered at random by different people. Looking through the legends, it appears that Waxmaligned, the dark fortress that saw Gamo murdered, his murderer murdered, and his murderer's children murdered after murdering several other people, has kind of a high murder rate. It would seem that its occupants take their worship of the deity of murder incredibly seriously - sudden, seemingly acontextual homicides are amazingly common in the history of its citizens.

This world is amazingly insane. It's like Dwarf Fortress took a wrong turn and ended up in Warhammer 40K or something. Literally everything in the world is murder and war and everyone just kind of accepts that as The Way Things Are.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

So I haven't played in years, how does animal care + breeding work? I assume I should build a pen for them on grass somewhere? And have a dwarf assigned to them to do.. something? I designated a zone for a pen/pasture but of course the animals don't give a gently caress, in the middle of building walls around it which is going slow as FFFFUCK because the masons won't use wheelbarrows to move the stone.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So judging by all these posts it would be better for me to try learning Fortress Mode with the previous DF version, correct? Or would that knowledge be moot because 2014 has changed a lot mechanics?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

nutranurse posted:

So judging by all these posts it would be better for me to try learning Fortress Mode with the previous DF version, correct? Or would that knowledge be moot because 2014 has changed a lot mechanics?

I'd say you'd be fine either way. Dwarf Therapist is nice but it's mostly just a visualization tool for when you lose track of which dwarves have which skills. If you can get to the point where managing each dorf's job assignments is onerous, you probably have a pretty good handle on the game. Things like choosing an embark point, equipping your wagon, carving out the beginnings of the fortress, setting up sustainable agriculture, and managing your dwarves' moods aren't changed to any significant degree by the aftermarket add-ons - or, for that matter, between 2012 and 2014 versions of DF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Indecisive posted:

So I haven't played in years, how does animal care + breeding work? I assume I should build a pen for them on grass somewhere? And have a dwarf assigned to them to do.. something? I designated a zone for a pen/pasture but of course the animals don't give a gently caress, in the middle of building walls around it which is going slow as FFFFUCK because the masons won't use wheelbarrows to move the stone.

I'm pretty sure you can just assign them to a pen and they'll stay there unless they're spooked by something and run away. Make sure it's big enough because if too many animals are assigned to a small pen they'll start fighting.