Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Werix posted:

It looks like possession is a horrible way to go, since if I'm reading that right, at 100 corruption you're done, demon takes total control.

I mean from a role play standpoint the "temporary power at any cost" is a fun angle and one I would play, but I don't think many people are going to choose it if it means game over on that character at max corruption.
But by default it's game over at max corruption. Posession just gives you more of an incentive to run at high corruption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Also, Chaos is pretty much nothing but making bad, sketchy, short term power boosts at the cost of any sort of long term gain. (How there are 10,000 year old dudes still wandering around is anyone's guess.)

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Talkie Toaster posted:

But by default it's game over at max corruption. Posession just gives you more of an incentive to run at high corruption.

Yeah, but my understanding is that tome of decay is supposed to cover "ascension" games once you hit 100 hence even having rules for apotheosis.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Ronwayne posted:

Earlier in this thread I made a joke about Halo Artifact Evesor Hordes to adequately challenge the PCs.

This is starting to look like less and less like a joke.

I'm still waiting for my BC game to progress to the point where I can drop a living imperial saint on the players and have them live. Maybe this book will help me.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Waci posted:

I'm still waiting for my BC game to progress to the point where I can drop a living imperial saint on the players and have them live. Maybe this book will help me.

I'm well on the way with the daemon-hammer you gave me.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ronwayne posted:

Also, Chaos is pretty much nothing but making bad, sketchy, short term power boosts at the cost of any sort of long term gain. (How there are 10,000 year old dudes still wandering around is anyone's guess.)

I have always basically assumed that the Chaos Marines still kicking around from the Heresy haven't actually experienced 10,000 years of life, but through a product of warp distortions and travel have lost a bunch of time. So maybe some of them have a couple thousand actual years under their belt, but almost none have actually clocked all that time in practice.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

That is what is normally assumed, yes.

FFG just has issues with numbers above 100.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Its even in the name: Warhammer 40,000 has a bad habit of just sticking on extra zeros to things to make them seem more epic.

But, yes, a CSM legion that's just one dude timelooped over and over.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I don't know if I'd want to play one, but the idea of a CSM that's been though all ten thousand or more years is interesting. An Original Great-Crusader, someone who fought in the Big One, and who's literally seen the Emperor. Someone so ancient they measure the passing of time by the number of ceramite battle boots they've worn thin, the toll erosion has taken on his armor, who's walked so far on so many worlds they can recount their marches in AU. Someone who's outlived their era in history, who's friends and enemies are long gone, remembered only by him.
Demeanour; Old (and tired. And lonely. And homesick :smith:)

Man, that was kinda depressing. OTOH, you could probably just use Christopher Lambert for your character portrait.

Ronwayne posted:

Earlier in this thread I made a joke about Halo Artifact Evesor Hordes to adequately challenge the PCs.

This is starting to look like less and less like a joke.

Well, for OW, Salvar Chem Dogs looting a Halo Artifact? Or an Eversor?
"Fell off the back of a truck."

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Rockopolis posted:

I don't know if I'd want to play one, but the idea of a CSM that's been though all ten thousand or more years is interesting. An Original Great-Crusader, someone who fought in the Big One, and who's literally seen the Emperor. Someone so ancient they measure the passing of time by the number of ceramite battle boots they've worn thin, the toll erosion has taken on his armor, who's walked so far on so many worlds they can recount their marches in AU. Someone who's outlived their era in history, who's friends and enemies are long gone, remembered only by him.
Demeanour; Old (and tired. And lonely. And homesick :smith:)

Man, that was kinda depressing. OTOH, you could probably just use Christopher Lambert for your character portrait.
I can't imagine someone that old having a lot of zeal left for fighting the Imperium. If they even remember why they were fighting in the first place.

Personally I'd go with Danny Glover.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Honestly, this seems to fit a lot of CSM in the fluff. Driven by (very) ancient memories, pure psychosis and chaos-induced mania is as much their fuel as a honest grudge with the Imperium.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Some elf-based questions.

As my elves are getting further along, the Windrider is thinking of promoting into Warlock or Seer with time. Considering class-changing into classes with a Psy rating was never part of the deal in the original OW class change system, I'm thinking of allowing that with a lower starting Psy rating and fewer powers to reflect having newly started to walk the path of the wizbiz, especially as the character would come in with a bunch of skills and combat abilities from the Guardian paths.

I'm also pondering how to handle losing oneself on a Path. I've already set an EXP requirement (must stay in the Path for 7500 EXP or more) and I'm thinking it'll permanently disable class changing but allow access to Exarch gear or more powerful Farseer stuff. Does that sound reasonable?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Also, gratitous corruption and insanity points, of course!

Tias
May 25, 2008

I can't seem to find the stats for a hullghast anywhere. I could have sworn it was in RT og DH core rules. Anyone?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Tias posted:

I can't seem to find the stats for a hullghast anywhere. I could have sworn it was in RT og DH core rules. Anyone?

Dark Heresy, Creatures Anathema.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks a lot :3:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I've been playing too much Kerbal Space Program lately, and I thought of an opening scene to an scenario being the Marines using their Sus-an Membranes to take a weeks long trip through space to get past enemy auspex stations. Basically, dress up a drop pod as space debris, fire it on a long orbit, crash onto the planet, and then figure out the enemy's auspex arrangements (or blow them up) so that you can get a follow up from your mothership in the enemy's blind spot.
What would be a good mission for the Marines that lack Sus-An membranes? Assault an enemy satellite to cover their comrades' descent? Just leap out of your ship, chainsaw an auspex satellite in half, and ride it to the ground like a drop pod? Or have them steering the dropship around, keeping an eye out for hazards?
I guess you could change it to a Thunderhawk with drop tanks, if you wanted to keep the long, one-way trip to open up support. Maybe tape some rocks to it?
Besides, the Susan Membrane never gets any love.

Also, how many skulls are on the slide rule they use to calculate the orbital maneuvers? This may be important.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Don't they have to be woken up from that with outside help?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Sus-an_Membrane posted:

Only the appropriate chemical therapy or hypnotic auto-suggestion can revive a Space Marine from this state.

I suppose a machine could be used to administer the chemicals/hypnotics but what happens if it breaks during landfall?

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

re: Kerbal chat; in my Deathwatch game they just escaped a ship that was falling apart then reboarded it to rescue an NPC and did all sorts of inertia, gliding through space etc stuff. The Librarian has the Marines Errant "only works in the void but range is kilometers" Gate of Infinite and there was a lot of Kerballing

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Good point. drat. No still no love for the Susan Membrane, though I was kind of thinking of waking them prior to descent.
I think I like it because it's like a space version of a HALO jump.

I guess I could still make a one way trip with a Thunderhawk.

Contacting the mothership would be, like, laser comm relays? Or just locate the Astropath/hope they're still alive? Maybe just have it on a tight schedule, so those chronos will actually get some use? "You had better take out that auspex station by X hours or this is going to be a very short mission."

The mission I had in mind was, "Orkz have taken over a forge world, go there and stop their big project/kill a Big Mek/mess with them until we invade the world" and I'm trying to throw details at the wall until something sticks. Like, it's so ecologically devastated that the Orkz actually have to fly in replacements from another world. Or the Orkz big project is mass producing Deff Dreads. Or before the invasion the Mechanicus Up to Some poo poo.
What poo poo is the Mechanicus up to? Messing with Necron-tech is kinda cliche. DEldar tech?

Tias
May 25, 2008

So I started the OW game today! Thanks for all your help, the characters particularly dug being deputized by the commissar when (as he chewed them out) were the only ones who couldn't have committed a murder :)

MaliciousOnion posted:

I suppose a machine could be used to administer the chemicals/hypnotics but what happens if it breaks during landfall?

Or da dok administers a tape of "Hooked on Orkonics" edukashunal material!

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

I did "Orks have found and started looting all the Astra Militarum emergency weapon caches all over the planet/city, how'd they find them all and what're you going to do about it?"
Leading up to investigations of Orks having some special intel, marine ambushes, sabotage etc and then heaps of fights against looted guard vehicles.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

A Magos Biologis is trying to splice Tyranid DNA into people.

Some Techpriests have found an archaeotech store of iron men.

A Magos who has been studying the effects of the Warp on machine spirits has been inadvertently making daemon weapons/daemon engines.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

goatface posted:

Don't they have to be woken up from that with outside help?

Servitor, whatever. You can introduce a complication if you want, but it could just work.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

(click)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pharmaskittle posted:

Servitor, whatever. You can introduce a complication if you want, but it could just work.

Or you could make it the first goal for the others. There's a gap in the sensor network big enough to get a tiny active vessel through, just big enough to hold N marines (where N is the number without membranes). The rest will have to slowboat through in hibernation, then be woken up on site by the active team.

Then you can make it all go wrong. Have the active team be discovered on entry and have to fight their way to their allies/goals, with the apothecary trying to administer hypnotic suggestion wake-up over broadcast comms and the sleepers emerging alone in unknown locations with unknown local targets.

That's a serious split of the party though.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
Split the party? This is Deathwatch we're talking about. All Deathwatch PCs are, out of the box, unstoppable cartoon GI Joes. Rules are for Other People. Maybe this mission comes from a somewhat Radical Inquisitor and he needs it done. Whoever doesn't have the organ gets dosed with a mystery chem that can mimic its effects.

Don't worry, Battle Brother, it almost never has any terribly discomforting side-effects whatsoever. Space madness, auditory hallucination and seeing through time have an estimated 1% occurrence rate. :snoop: My pet Magos has assured me of this and I can promise you that he is totally not an insane madman with the moral compass of an Ork Mekboy.

Hell, I just pulled almost this exact same play with my Only War group. Working for Throne agents to check out a combat-crippled AdMech space station, they had the option of space suit or mystery drug and half of them chose the drug willingly. They found the bleeding from the eyes and vomiting blood a little disconcerting, but they're Guardsmen and they can survive the vacuum of space now*, so what do they care?

*For a period of time that was never disclosed to them.

MilkmanLuke fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 9, 2014

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's not a problem for the characters, it's a problem for the GM and players keeping track of what's happening to who and where everyone is in relation to everyone else.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
gently caress where, worry about when.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

goatface posted:

It's not a problem for the characters, it's a problem for the GM and players keeping track of what's happening to who and where everyone is in relation to everyone else.

That's my point. There's no need to split the party because Deathwatch. :black101:

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

The Archmagos went Necron-nuts. It's a hazard of the profession.
The #2 Magos saw this, and not wanting Inquisitorial scrutiny, made a bargain with the Dark Eldar to nip the problem in the bud. Some serfs in exchange for targeted raids and assassinations. They decided the Forge World was a great place to raid.
The #3 Magos saw the #2 Magos make a stupid bargain with the DEldar and panicked, hiring some Blood Axes mercenaries to derail the #2 Magos' plans. They brought along a lot of friends.
The #4 Magos was actually working for the Inquisition and was all :catstare:, but got flattened in an actual industrial accident before he could report.
The #5 Magos hired some Kroot mercenaries to defend himself against the Orkz, so now a Tau intervention fleet is on its way.
The #6 Magos is a Squat.
The #7 Magos freaked out and accidentally summoned a bunch of demons while trying to delay the Tau fleet. Just as planned.
The #8 Magos is too busy trying to get tenure to notice any of this going on, but he accidentally released a Genestealer into the wild. A splinter fleet is on its way.

The Watch Commander hears about this from a Rogue Trader, and doesn't know what the gently caress. He calls for a conclave, roughly the same time that Duke Severus hears about the situation from his Legates.
A Radical Inquisitor decides to leak the presence of the Dark Eldar to a bunch of Eldar who were asking questions about a lost Maiden World.
The conclave decides to send in a kill team to figure out what's going on, while an invasion force is assembled.

Lock, Stock, and Twin-Linked Barrels?

edit
Did I miss anyone?

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 9, 2014

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

So, are there any 40k RPG supplements that let me play a Tau? And is it possible to get my hands on a Crisis suit, if so?

Not that I have a game to play in any time soon, mind, but for the future.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Esser-Z posted:

So, are there any 40k RPG supplements that let me play a Tau? And is it possible to get my hands on a Crisis suit, if so?

Not that I have a game to play in any time soon, mind, but for the future.

Rogue Trader just added Tau. As for Crisis suits, I don't know

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Well, Tau at least is something! Now to find a RT game! :v:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
There's the Tau Character Guide which, according to their ad copy, includes rules for the XV8 Crisis Battlesuit.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PantsOptional posted:

There's the Tau Character Guide which, according to their ad copy, includes rules for the XV8 Crisis Battlesuit.

Yeah, was just gonna post that. Someone has the whole text up on google docs atm and I saw it there. Size "Hulking"

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Azhais posted:

Yeah, was just gonna post that. Someone has the whole text up on google docs atm and I saw it there. Size "Hulking"

Pretty sure the stuff up on Google Docs is homebrew, as it doesn't seem to match the preview text from DriveThru.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Perfect! Now to find a game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PantsOptional posted:

Pretty sure the stuff up on Google Docs is homebrew, as it doesn't seem to match the preview text from DriveThru.

Wouldn't surprise me. :filez: being the third Google hit for "Rogue Trader Tau" seems like an unlikely thing to last very long