Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

there is no tougher nut...than a chashew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Eww that loving Rat tail again.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Azerban posted:

if you score more goals you win the game, i think this incentivizes attacking sufficiently
apparently not.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

tie after extra time both teams go out

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

What would you know canadian guy lol do they even show soccer up there haha

they do, only it's called 'grass ball hockey with feet'

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hegay posted:

Unironically agree lol, there can be good 0-0 matches but this Mourinho lets just tire the other teams out bullshit is dire as gently caress

mourinho and guardiola teamed up to murder football

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

straight up brolic posted:

there is no tougher nut...than a chashew

I'm crying irl

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Whoa, they're continuing while Argentina's guy is having his mouth seen to.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hegay posted:

i hate this, exact opposite of yesterdays match. im half asleep

We all knew this was inevitable, and yet

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
If you are neutral, penalties are great

Or totally reveal who you are actually rooting for.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

both teams are missing an opportunity to cheat a penalty kick with this ref imo

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i'm gay

Explain How!
Dec 14, 2013
I like penios so i'm sure i's like them in the semi.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

This World Cup needs a proper long range goal. I'm craving it.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

regulargonzalez posted:

So, real talk. I am a new viewer, just started watching with this world cup and liking it quite a bit. But penalty kicks seem a bs way to end it. It seems like the type of thing I would have found intense and exxtreme when I was 12 but just seems so arbitrary now.

Are PKs generally considered a good, legit way to decide ties, or do they seem lovely to other people too?

Also, why are they called penalty kicks? There's no penalty as far as I can tell?

It's not a good way to end a game (unless England is involved), but better than the alternatives.

They're taken from the penalty spot. Some call them spot kick. Mock these people.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Palpek posted:

penalty kicks are psychological warfare

They're the white-hot fire in which REAL football players are forged, and in which the weak are broken by the stress and tension.

They rule :allears:

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

apparently not.

they're attacking, they're just bad at it

don't know what you want to do about that

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
come on you argie cunts score a goal/come on you pseudogerman cunts score a goal

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Hegay posted:

the final solution

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Hegay posted:

What's this?!? Is that Brazil coming out of the tunnel?!?

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

T Bowl posted:

You can't run around all loving night dude, this isn't baseball.

The players all lying dead except the goalkeepers eyeing each other from across the pich the ball placed in the middle.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
by this point in the other semifinal we had seen eight goals, it makes you think

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

regulargonzalez posted:

So, real talk. I am a new viewer, just started watching with this world cup and liking it quite a bit. But penalty kicks seem a bs way to end it. It seems like the type of thing I would have found intense and exxtreme when I was 12 but just seems so arbitrary now.

Are PKs generally considered a good, legit way to decide ties, or do they seem lovely to other people too?

Also, why are they called penalty kicks? There's no penalty as far as I can tell?

They're taken from the penalty spot where in regular gametime they're given to one team to penalize the other team. That's why
They used to just lead both teams behind the barn and shoot them if neither scored in 120 mins so i'd say it's an improvement

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
Godamn what a poo poo show, reminds me of NFC East games.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
christ, watched 80 minutes of this in the gym, just got home and still nothing has loving happened. I bet I can take a long shower and miss nothing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Teron D Amun posted:

the final solution

No that's this Sunday

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

this is no longer soccer, this is football

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

African AIDS cum posted:

They are horrible, a crutch for the mentally weak. A way to take a moral victory from a loss, all around extremely gay.

Agreed, op. A bad way to end a bad match (typically).

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

tetsman posted:

I'm crying irl

Lick up your own tears. They contain the salt your cashews could not, this night.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
PKs are just the mini game to finish the main game if the main game is tied. They have strategy too, they aren't a total lottery. More random than open play? Sure. Sports have tons of random poo poo that determines the outcome though, it isn't all skill, the way the cookie crumbles amiright?!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

texaholic posted:

Godamn what a poo poo show, reminds me of NFC East games.
i hate...you

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

spankmeister posted:

No that's this Sunday

Germany better destroy whoever makes it out of this match.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Palpek posted:

this is no longer soccer, this is football

stfu sadbrains

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Dinictus posted:

Lick up your own tears. They contain the salt your cashews could not, this night.

fuckshit troll ill ban you!!!

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

penalties are poo poo unless your team wins all the time, in which case they're great

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

Judging by your avatar, think of it as a college football overtime. You didn't get it done in the time given, so here is some extra, starting here, and try to score. (two overtimes pass with the same score) Okay, people, you really need to lose or win this game, so now you have to go for 2 after a TD.

Is it the best, or fairest? Probably not, but they get 1/3 of the regulation time extra to try to decide it like the game was meant to be. There comes a point where you need to change the rules so it isn't 0-0 in the 700th minute, like this game seems to be headed.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

tetsman posted:

fuckshit troll ill ban you!!!

Tetsman my friend, do not be bothered by the troll. We must not abuse our World Cup mod powers.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

penalties are great when they sub on that big dutch guy to stomp around and yell at people

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Ron Vlaar motm for me so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explain How!
Dec 14, 2013
Messi is really bad guys

• Locked thread