Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zyste
Jan 8, 2002

"Do you want this back?"

greatn posted:

Hmm, I haven't noticed any problems with my drive, and I've been playing regularly just about every day, have downloaded plenty of stuff in the last few weeks, etc. It's a USB 3.0 using a Y cable.
Same here. I'm using a Seagate Expansion 1TB: USB 3.0, Y-cable. And the thing runs great. I've been playing Pikmin 3 and Rayman Legends off of it and haven't had a single problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Nolgthorn posted:

Is there some way I can buy Wii Fit U with a balance board and fit meter and have the digital version as opposed to the one on disk? If I'm going to be exercising for 30 minutes every day it's going to be a real pain to switch out disks every time. It seems like this is not an option! I must buy a balance board from somewhere, buy a fit meter and then purchase the digital version all separately. Well that's crap Nintendo do you hear me that's crap.

From November of last year to January of this year, it was possible to download a free trial of Wii Fit U, and if you registered a Fit Meter during that period, you would get to keep the digital game. That was what I did, anyhow, since we already had the balance board. You can probably get a balance board for real cheap, though it is unfortunate that you'll have to pay for the game and fit meter separately, especially since it's one of those games that I would 100% recommend getting digital over physical.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What exactly does Resident Evil Revelations do with the tablet?

For some reason the Wii U version is still 50 dollars versus all the others.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Alteisen posted:

It's really nothing special, you can hold the pad up to scan stuff metroid prime style but you can disable this. There's a demo if you want to try it.

It's mostly 50 bucks because capcom probably forgot it exists.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Alteisen posted:

It was on sale for like 20 bucks a few weeks ago

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kewpuh posted:

It was on sale for like 20 bucks a few weeks ago

Bought my Wii U this past sunday friend, plus its the white model so I wouldn't have the space anyway. :v:

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Seems there is a Wii fit balance board + fit meter bundle, then you just buy the digital version separately but unfortunately that bundle isn't available in my region. I think I'm just going to suck it up and use a disk.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 9, 2014

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I'm still secretly hoping Hyrule Warriors does well enough that it convinces Nintendo to let them do other IPs in the same way. What i'm saying is holy poo poo Fire Emblem is made for a Musou crossover game, and with the potential for travel in time and dimensions that Awakening brought to the series, any character from any game would be fair game.

Hell, they already have a potential plot for the game just sitting there for them with the Outrealms being a thing, and the credits plot for one of the characters in Awakening.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Nolgthorn posted:

Is there some way I can buy Wii Fit U with a balance board and fit meter and have the digital version as opposed to the one on disk? If I'm going to be exercising for 30 minutes every day it's going to be a real pain to switch out disks every time. It seems like this is not an option! I must buy a balance board from somewhere, buy a fit meter and then purchase the digital version all separately. Well that's crap Nintendo do you hear me that's crap.
You can buy the balance board from Gamestop for around $15 and the fit meter is around $20 from Amazon. You might find a good deal on ebay or at used game/record places in your area too. Hopefully those options are equally viable in your country :ohdear:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Does anyone know what happened between Sharp and Nintendo to make them stop being best friends? Or Panasonic, really.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
So is there seriously no way to play New Super Mario Bros U where one player has the Gamepad and another player has a Wiimote, but both actually controlling a character and not using Boost Mode? Because that seems like a really stupid way to handle it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Does anyone know if Ambassador games on your 3DS also allow you to download games on the WIIU with a discount/free? I noticed that Amazing Mirror is on both 3DS ambassador and on the WIIU shop. My wifes 3DS has it, but she doesn't have a NNID yet due to her not wanting to upgrade it hoping for the thing to be hacked properly like with the DS. :shrug:
I assume it doesn't work, since it works completely different but I'd still like to know for certain.

Man, the star catalogue on the Dutch (European?) Nintendo site is really barren at the moment. :( I have a ton of games I haven't registered yet because I'm waiting for promotions or good things to buy. Keeping them unregistered ensures that you will never expire.
The only half way decent things are the Wii points which you can only use on the Wii and the SM Galaxy soundtrack. At least I managed to get my Wii points to zero by buying two 100 points cards and downloading Kirby. Now for a €1 I can play it on the Wiiu. I'll probably do this again, it's not like I'm using the stars for anything else at the moment. I think if I register another game I can get another snes title for free. Maybe it's time to get X2. :)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Darth TNT posted:

Does anyone know if Ambassador games on your 3DS also allow you to download games on the WIIU with a discount/free? I noticed that Amazing Mirror is on both 3DS ambassador and on the WIIU shop. My wifes 3DS has it, but she doesn't have a NNID yet due to her not wanting to upgrade it hoping for the thing to be hacked properly like with the DS. :shrug:
I assume it doesn't work, since it works completely different but I'd still like to know for certain.

This doesn't work for any 3DS/Wii U VC games, ambassador or not.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Chaltab posted:

So is there seriously no way to play New Super Mario Bros U where one player has the Gamepad and another player has a Wiimote, but both actually controlling a character and not using Boost Mode? Because that seems like a really stupid way to handle it.

I ran into the same problem. It's so stupid, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. No clue why.

If you have the money, use this as an excuse to get a pro controller. They're amazing. :)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

To add on the pro controller recommendation, K-mart (yes they're still a thing somehow) has them on clearance for $30 so go scouring to see if you can find one! They won't carry them anymore after this.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Supercar Gautier posted:

Nintendo really ought to partner up with someone to license an external HDD that fits all the specs and is guaranteed to work right. Then there'd be an easy hassle-free answer while still letting people shop around.

I wish someone would make a hard drive that was ergonomical in such a way that it docked with the Wii U.

Like if the stand for the original Wii actually had a hard drive inside it with a cable that plugged into the back of the system

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Really surprised there hasn't been a Nintendo branded hard drive yet. It could come with a preloaded game. Obviously it'd be overpriced for what it is, but nintendo are usually all over that kind of stuff.

Still really glad the Wii U and 3DS don't use propriety stuff though.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Havoc904 posted:

The One Piece game that came out on the eshop today seems to have decent enough reviews. Plus I am reading (although I haven't been able to confirm it) that the wii U is getting the dlc for free that the other systems have to pay for. I will probably download the game tonight and I can update the thread with impressions when I have got my feet wet.

Anyone played this yet? Pleas e someone tell me its bad before I spend a load of money on it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Bass Bottles posted:

I ran into the same problem. It's so stupid, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. No clue why.

If you have the money, use this as an excuse to get a pro controller. They're amazing. :)

Be careful with this advice. I've been playing through NSMBU with my girlfriend and the only control scheme we've been able to use is both of us using wiimotes with the gamepad nearby for boost mode.

The pro controller does work with everything else we've been playing though (Donkey Kong, Marko Kart, Pikmin 3, and Shovel Knight).

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Be careful with this advice. I've been playing through NSMBU with my girlfriend and the only control scheme we've been able to use is both of us using wiimotes with the gamepad nearby for boost mode.

The pro controller does work with everything else we've been playing though (Donkey Kong, Marko Kart, Pikmin 3, and Shovel Knight).

I thought they patched in support for the Pro controller on NSMBU ages ago, though?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Phantasium posted:

I thought they patched in support for the Pro controller on NSMBU ages ago, though?

I'm pretty sure we've tried one wiimote + one pro controller and the pro wouldn't do anything. Maybe I'm imagining it not working.

I'll test it this evening after work if I remember.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Wildtortilla posted:

Crap, I hadn't actually tried using my Pro controller with NSMBU yet. I just assumed.... Dammit, Nintendo!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Phantasium posted:

They did, when New Luigi U came out.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I've definitely played with a pro controller and a wiimote in the past week. It is kind of a pain that you can't do a wiimote / pro controller and gamepad though (to my knowledge.)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Scans of Fi, Ghirhim and the Imprisoned are up

As expected Fi turns herself into a sword to cut people. Of course.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Fi and Ghirim are pretty cool and all but that Skyloft stage though. :flashfap:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah cause that's exactly what Hyrule Warriors needs to be good: Three of the worst things from Skyward Sword. :v:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I can't believe people are hating on Girahim.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Girahim was great. :colbert:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
So didn't they note that Hyrule Warriors is canon or something or am I making that up? Maybe I'm thinking of Persona Q.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Louisgod posted:

So didn't they note that Hyrule Warriors is canon or something or am I making that up? Maybe I'm thinking of Persona Q.
I think Aonuma was asked about how it fits into the Zelda canon, where his response more or less amounted to "who the hell cares about canon in Zelda."

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Kewpuh posted:

Most people say the Wii U version is the best since it has Digger's Diary

Neat!

...what is it?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

But the official napkin in the break room with Zelda games and arrows drawn between them

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Neat!

...what is it?

It's a Dark Souls-style "player messages" system using Miiverse as the backbone.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I bought it on steam, but shovel knight is really fantastic. It is absolutely worth 15 dollars and has tons of content, but be warned it will kick your rear end NES-style so it takes some patience.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Lizard Wizard posted:

Neat!

...what is it?

I've never seen one before, but I'm guessing it's a white hole.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lizard Wizard posted:

Neat!

...what is it?

Every room in the game has it's own "Page". You can look down at the gamepad and see tips other players left for that specific room (and you can leave your own for that room).

You get a constant stream of interaction and it's kinda nice, though it's usually just filled with puns based on the per sons a avatar :v:

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

plainswalker75 posted:

I've never seen one before, but I'm guessing it's a white hole.

A white hole?

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Confirmed, the Imprisoned doesn't look any less like a dumb loving muppet in HD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I never got to it in Skyward Sword but I think it looks cool as hell. Tons of old school j-monster vibes.

Everything about Hyrule Warriors :3:

• Locked thread