Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

InitialDave posted:

Fuckin' ugly they may be, but a carbon shell at an average-consumer price point and the power & weight of an E30 325i isn't bad for something that is practically free to run.

Problem over here is it's more expensive than an M135i!

Oh drat, they have a carbon shell? that's pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yeah the i3, while goofy looking, is incredibly cutting edge and is BMW's first attempt at bringing some next-gen materials and such to mass market. For that reason I think it's pretty cool. It's kind of still a beta test and you're absolutely paying the early adopter tax for their carbon manufacturing and electric platform, but it's getting pretty drat close to a real, mass-market car.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Baram posted:

Oh drat, they have a carbon shell? that's pretty neat.

Yup, they specifically built a carbon fiber parts factory over in eastern Washington for easy access to cheap hydro power.

They had one of the i3's out on track at pacific raceways this weekend as one of the pace cars at the historic/vintage races. pretty neat looking in person and obviously very quiet.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

Doesn't the Z06 have a dry sump? I'd assume that GM's dry sump solution would be able to solve that.

LS7s have been known to drop valves though. The only motor that doesn't seem to have any real track problems out of the box is the LS9/A, so everyone should buy ZR1s/CTSVs.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Saw an i3 in person a couple of days ago. As goofy as it is, I do like that it goes all the way with the materials and justs screams "I'm a future car, gently caress you!" instead of being ugly/bland that most EVs or hybrids tend to be.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Powershift posted:

But audi also has the S which means bigger engine, and RS which means biggerer engine.

So you know A3 = small car, small engine, S3 = small car, big engine A6 = big car, small engine, S6 = big car, big engine.

Except the S3 was the same displacement engine, bigger turbo

A = average car
S = sporty car
RS = really sporty car

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

A = average car
S = sporty car
RS = really sporty car

R = rich person car
Q = ermmm...

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Linedance posted:

R = rich person car
Q = ermmm...

Queen car?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
qunt?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Throatwarbler posted:

While on the topic of engines, it seems that MB is actually going back to an inline 6 for their RWD cars.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/mercedes-benz-straight-six-to-make-a-comeback-on-e-class-sl-class-c-class-83484.html

From the article:

All we know is that the petrol-powered family will be available in capacities ranging from 2.2 to 3.5-liters, with the entry-level 2.2-liter version expected to churn out 367 horsepower and 650 Nm (479 lb-ft) of torque. The range-topping 3.5L I6 will presumably replace the current 4.7-liter V8 as the most powerful non-AMG version of the 2016 Mercedes-Benz E-Class W213, and will deliver some 435 horsepower and 750 Nm (553 lb-ft) of torque.

That seems pretty high

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Cyrezar posted:

From the article:

All we know is that the petrol-powered family will be available in capacities ranging from 2.2 to 3.5-liters, with the entry-level 2.2-liter version expected to churn out 367 horsepower and 650 Nm (479 lb-ft) of torque. The range-topping 3.5L I6 will presumably replace the current 4.7-liter V8 as the most powerful non-AMG version of the 2016 Mercedes-Benz E-Class W213, and will deliver some 435 horsepower and 750 Nm (553 lb-ft) of torque.

That seems pretty high

When I got to 2.2L producing 367hp, I was expecting something like 500-600hp from the 3.5L so "only" 435hp from it is a bit disappointing. That's a massive displacement difference for only 68hp more.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Muffinpox posted:

LS7s have been known to drop valves though. The only motor that doesn't seem to have any real track problems out of the box is the LS9/A, so everyone should buy ZR1s/CTSVs.

GM extended the warranty and did a recall on the supercharger of the LSA, which presumably meant something was wrong with it. So just the LS9 then.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Snowdens Secret posted:

A = average car
S = sporty car
RS = really sporty car
thats actually what it stands for. S = sport and RS = rennsport (racing)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Isn't the LS7 also pretty close to tapped out? I know it's supposedly inadvisable to use power adders due to the large bore/thin cylinder walls.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Fucknag posted:

Isn't the LS7 also pretty close to tapped out? I know it's supposedly inadvisable to use power adders due to the large bore/thin cylinder walls.

The LSX is only 1.5mm extra bore over the LS7 and one would assume that they took the III/IV to its absolute safe maximum on everything with that thing, so I'd say that's a safe assumption.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

IOwnCalculus posted:

It sure does, as does the LS9, I think the LSA, and maaaaaybe the LS3 with the Grand Sport package.

The stock pan is not a bad setup, it's got a windage tray and everything... but any engine with stock oiling at continued 1G+ loads is going to have problems.

I feel like you're down to pretty fine points when complaining a street legal car can't sustain over a G cornering.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fucknag posted:

Lingenfelter and others take the LS7 over 1000rwhp with forced induction. Stock bottom end and everything is obviously gone, but the block itself will take it. For how long is anyone's guess, but that goes for any motor when pushed to that point.

Some guy cracked a block really early on being a dumb gently caress, and suddenly it morphed into a huge issue. I've seen far more of the other ones have the same issue.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
The only real issue with the LS7 I'm aware of was an early-on issue with valve guides due to a machining error from the factory. They were supposedly all fixed since then with a voluntary recall.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

pik_d posted:

When I got to 2.2L producing 367hp, I was expecting something like 500-600hp from the 3.5L so "only" 435hp from it is a bit disappointing. That's a massive displacement difference for only 68hp more.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be 267hp from the 2.2L.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Fucknag posted:

They can pick up a good amount of power, cammed/tuned Z06s will put out in the mid 600s and if you go hog wild with intake/headers/heads, 700s.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be 267hp from the 2.2L.

Not with that torque.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Xguard86 posted:

I feel like you're down to pretty fine points when complaining a street legal car can't sustain over a G cornering.

Buying a 505HP car and popping a motor due to oil starvation at locations where you can actually put down all 505HP (hint: it's the track, yo) is kinda lame.

It is a fine point; however, if you're going to be building a bespoke sports car, spend the money and make sure that fucker is well oiled.

Gen 4 motors. :swoon:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tommychu posted:

The LSX is only 1.5mm extra bore over the LS7 and one would assume that they took the III/IV to its absolute safe maximum on everything with that thing, so I'd say that's a safe assumption.

Yeah, but if you want a huge boost-monster why waste one of the best NA engines on it? Take the extra weight penalty for the cast-iron LSX and leave the LS7 for someone who wants light weight and stupid RPMs out of a giant V8.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Phone posted:

Buying a 505HP car and popping a motor due to oil starvation at locations where you can actually put down all 505HP (hint: it's the track, yo) is kinda lame.

It is a fine point; however, if you're going to be building a bespoke sports car, spend the money and make sure that fucker is well oiled.

Gen 4 motors. :swoon:
Probably the reason why the C6 Z06 / ZR1 and C7 Z51 / Z06 use a dry sump setup.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Probably the reason why the C6 Z06 / ZR1 and C7 Z51 / Z06 use a dry sump setup.

Don't forget the new Camaro Z28 :swoon:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

HotCanadianChick posted:

Don't forget the new Camaro Z28 :swoon:
I didn't forget, I just didn't care.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

pik_d posted:

That has to be for the top-tier AMG 2.2L. I can guarantee that the more pedestrian 2.2Ts will be making closer to ~250/270. Pushing over two atmospheres into an everyday Mercedes seems like a warranty headache.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

1/4 mile times for the Hellcat are out.

10.8 @ 126 on street legal drag radials
11.2 @ 125 on factory tires.

Sweet mother of god.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The factory tires have to be drat near drag radials for that kind of number.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

So the Fusion has lost the 1.6 and manual option for 2015, but instead you can get AWD on the mid-level trim with the 2.0 now.

http://wot.motortrend.com/1407_2015_ford_fusion_loses_1_6_ecoboost_and_manual_option.html

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Powershift posted:

The factory tires have to be drat near drag radials for that kind of number.

I honestly think it's attributable to a whole bunch of computers keeping the launch control just perfect and the 8spd keeping it in the peak of the powerband. It's still insane though. I think there are only 4 or 5 cars faster than it from the factory and none of them anywhere close to sub 100K.

Porsche 911 Turbo S is one that comes to mind and those are what? 180K?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
C6 zr1 could do it I think. It's not as long as a 7 series like the challenger though.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
GT-R does it in 10.80, but it's just a smidge over 100k. And I'm sure that dealer markup will put the Dodge over 100k as well.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Friar Zucchini posted:

So the Fusion has lost the 1.6 and manual option for 2015, but instead you can get AWD on the mid-level trim with the 2.0 now.

http://wot.motortrend.com/1407_2015_ford_fusion_loses_1_6_ecoboost_and_manual_option.html

And yet another car that has the option of the manual transmission and AWD, but not together.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Ttac says the next supra will be bosom buddies with the z4

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/07/bmw-z4-toyota-supra-to-become-blood-brothers/

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Has Toyota really become that lazy? BR-Z/FR-S twins and now twins with a BMW? For a Supra?!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ilkhan posted:

Has Toyota really become that lazy? BR-Z/FR-S twins and now twins with a BMW? For a Supra?!
Fighting chance of it being a fairly tuneable twin-turbo straight six, then? That's a good thing.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

ilkhan posted:

Given projected sales numbers, these cars only make sense if the development cost is shared with another company.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

TheGoatTrick posted:

Given projected sales numbers, these cars only make sense if the development cost is shared with another company.

This, I'd rather see a joint venture than no vehicle at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Snowdens Secret posted:

This, I'd rather see a joint venture than no vehicle at all.

Exactly. There's more opportunity for them to do something cool with a car that will actually be made at some point, however it turns out, than all the theoretical things the car could have been but won't ever be.