Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Flash casting news - Robbie Amell of The Tomorrow People has been cast as Ronnie Raymond — better known to DC fans as half of the Firestorm team.

:flashfact:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leL_bsHEZdM

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efiW2K8gASM

It kind of scares me how much that news anchor looks like a female version of Adam Scott.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

raditts posted:

Let's be real, it only gets "better" in the way that Agents of SHIELD got "better" after the Captain America tie-in. Which is to say, "not that much unless you want to actively fool yourself."

gently caress that, a lot of the spaceship stuff was just good and the people on the ground actually developed a bit more depth.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
People who don't like Key and Peele, IMO, while not racist, are definitely capable of racism. There's a degree of racial empathy that comes with enjoying black comedy like Key and Peele, or Kevin Hart, or Katt Williams. Just because the subjects are unfamiliar to you due to your white racial lineage, doesn't mean the jokes aren't knock-down hilarious. Key and Peele is brilliant sketch comedy, even if you don't think jokes about how black women's vaginas look like a philippe's french dip roast beef sandwich left out in the sun for half the day are funny.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

scary ghost dog posted:

People who don't like Key and Peele, IMO, while not racist, are definitely capable of racism. There's a degree of racial empathy that comes with enjoying black comedy like Key and Peele, or Kevin Hart, or Katt Williams. Just because the subjects are unfamiliar to you due to your white racial lineage, doesn't mean the jokes aren't knock-down hilarious. Key and Peele is brilliant sketch comedy, even if you don't think jokes about how black women's vaginas look like a philippe's french dip roast beef sandwich left out in the sun for half the day are funny.

If I hated a sketch they did about Hispanic gang members does that makes me racist against black people, or Hispanic people or both?

you're an idiot

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

If I hated a sketch they did about Hispanic gang members does that makes me racist against black people, or Hispanic people or both?

you're an idiot

You're racist against neither, you just don't get it. Enjoying black humor, for white people, is an acquired taste, unless you're familiar enough with black culture to be tuned in enough to laugh with them.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

You're racist against neither, you just don't get it. Enjoying black humor, for white people, is an acquired taste, unless you're familiar enough with black culture to be tuned in enough to laugh with them.

What you're saying makes no sense. It's not like people dislike their sketches because they're too subtle.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

What you're saying makes no sense. It's not like people dislike their sketches because they're too subtle.

So you think there's an objective standard quality for jokes that, if a joke is surface level enough, anyone can appreciate it, regardless of context, origin and tone? Because as far as I'm concerned, the only reason to dislike a joke is if you don't think it's funny, and the only reason someone wouldn't think a joke was funny, is if they didn't get it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

So you think there's an objective standard quality for jokes that, if a joke is surface level enough, anyone can appreciate it, regardless of context, origin and tone? Because as far as I'm concerned, the only reason to dislike a joke is if you don't think it's funny, and the only reason someone wouldn't think a joke was funny, is if they didn't get it.

:psyduck:

zoux posted:

I guess you're new here but he's trolling you.

In actual news, Daredevil started shooting this week. :woop:

Ah, ok. Consider me trolled.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 9, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess you're new here but he's trolling you.

In actual news, Daredevil started shooting this week. :woop:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
You're the same guy who gave up on Workaholics because you thought the episode where they beat a bunch of rats to death was in poor taste, right?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It kind of scares me how much that news anchor looks like a female version of Adam Scott.
Oh dear god, you're right :stonk:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The weird thing about the first season of The 100 is how part way through they start this subplot about a power hungry corrupt politician on the Ark and then it just kind of ends as they steal a spaceship and crash it on Earth killing them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The weird thing about the first season of The 100 is how part way through they start this subplot about a power hungry corrupt politician on the Ark and then it just kind of ends as they steal a spaceship and crash it on Earth killing them.

It's not Desmond is it :ohdear:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Apparently this is premiering on NBC tomorrow, and all I can think of is this.

quote:

Working the Engels

In this family comedy, a family of ne'er-do-wells must band together to keep their heads above water when their father and breadwinner passes away, leaving them a mountain of debt.

The Engels must all go to work running Dad's storefront law firm, with one minor problem: daughter Jenna Engel is the only one who is qualified to practice law. Unfortunately for Jenna, this also means taking on her eccentric relatives as co-workers. Ceil, the self-absorbed and overly dramatic but fiercely protective mother works as the firm's paralegal; Sandy, a former pill-popper who has never worked a day in her life, is the receptionist and first line of defense at the firm; and Jimmy, a petty criminal and bad boy who is utterly devoted to his family, is the firm's investigator. Jenna, the youngest sibling and "the good one," becomes the unlikely family patriarch, running the law firm and keeping her crazy family together.

It's not pretty, but it's family.

I find absolutely everything about this image offensive.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh dear god, you're right :stonk:

You mean the anchor was played by Anna Kendrick

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

...of SCIENCE! posted:

FFS, this is all I can see now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

You mean the anchor was played by Anna Kendrick
Haha, Anna Kendrick looks far more womanly.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MrAristocrates posted:

That's a great pun. Why is the office full of water?

Kacey Rohl noooooo!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

That's my personal favorite sketch of theirs. When it pans to show them playing the arcade gun game I always lose it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

It's not Desmond is it :ohdear:

He actually has a really good arc throughout the season because after they find out that the 100 survived he completely changes his tune and flips out over how he acted before.

Its really bizarre why he uses a neutral accent since the Ark was supposed to be multi-national.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

muscles like this? posted:

He actually has a really good arc throughout the season because after they find out that the 100 survived he completely changes his tune and flips out over how he acted before.

Its really bizarre why he uses a neutral accent since the Ark was supposed to be multi-national.
It's funnier because he is terrible at trying to suppress his Scottish accent.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa Freidkin is one of the candidates to direct True Directive season 2.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

VagueRant posted:

What's the general opinion on The 100? CW has cranked out some of the best (if cheesiest) stuff on TV lately with Nikita (well, the first two seasons) and Arrow. I remember hearing mixed reactions along the lines of "good ideas but meh TV".

I think I remember exactly when I dumped it. If I recall, I got to the part in the second episode where there all like "let's split up!" when looking to rescue their friend from dangerous tribal people with only one gun. I wasn't really into it before that anyway.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah shows need to be pretty great from the get go, otherwise jump ship.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Ay ay ay, they don't have to be great from the get go. They do have to be okay enough to have potential, and I didn't think it was. So I stopped watching it and decided watch things I thought were better instead.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 9, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

GreenNight posted:

Yeah shows need to be pretty great from the get go, otherwise jump ship.

Yeah. That strategy saved me 6 seasons of Dexter and 9 seasons of HIMYM.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

If you think a show is bad, proper TVIV course of action is to hatewatch the rest of its run and irritate all the fans in its thread.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

raditts posted:

It's because despite the names becoming more and more ridiculous, they're still not as ridiculous as some actual players' names.

It's pretty much this. Players' names have gotten ludicrous the past decade or so. A school near me they got a Zeek, Demage, K'Hadree, and a Khyron this year. And that's just the defensive line.

Are they a football team or the Order of the Bat'leth?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Lycus posted:

If you think a show is bad, proper TVIV course of action is to hatewatch the rest of its run and irritate all the fans in its thread.

The nice part about HIMYM is that you didn't need to watch it to make fun of it. For all the 'continuity' and 'character development' fans crowed about, the characters didn't grow or change throughout the series' entire run. No new characters were introduced and the relationships between the main cast stayed roughly the same from the pilot to the finale. At any point in the series you could pop into the HIMYM thread say, "boy, Ted sure was a douche this week" and get a dozen people to agree with you. There's literally no other show on tv with that same level of staleness, including much maligned shows like The Big Bang Theory and 2 Broke Girls.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

comes along bort posted:

It's pretty much this. Players' names have gotten ludicrous the past decade or so. A school near me they got a Zeek, Demage, K'Hadree, and a Khyron this year. And that's just the defensive line.

Just be glad they have to use their actual names.

Also eSports, which is so desperate to be taken seriously that some tournaments aren't letting women play in them yet still has people using gamertags instead of their actual names.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Facing someone named In2TheRainbow or EllenPage is more intimidating than some dude named Lee Jae Dong.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Irish Joe posted:

There's literally no other show on tv with that same level of staleness, including much maligned shows like The Big Bang Theory and 2 Broke Girls.

What happened to you, Irish Joe?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Rarity posted:

I think it his account must have been hijacked. The poster formerly known as Irish Joe was always a 2 Broke Girls biggest supporter and even though I've only seen a few episodes from this season, I can honestly say I did not notice any decline in the show quality.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Marcus what does the scouter say?

MrAristocrates posted:

It's happening....

comes along bort posted:

No, they are alien races from Star Control 2.

Gonz posted:

Reminder: The Bridge returns for a second season starting tomorrow on FX.
The question is, WHY?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Also eSports, which is so desperate to be taken seriously that some tournaments aren't letting women play in them yet still has people using gamertags instead of their actual names.

Funny you mention that since it happened in Korea, where Starcraft used to be shown on two separate video game TV channels, and where players did go by their full names because they are legitimate stars. But yeah, lol eSports.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What you think is a defense of esports is actually a condemnation of Korea.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

His long running ironically unfunny (but always actually unfunny) gimmick lost it's way and became unironically unfunny to those who like unfunny gimmicks. :smith: or :unsmith:, ask him, I'm sure he'll manage to make it :geno:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Leftovers continues to rule hardcore

• Locked thread